News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

grandwazo

Baiting Hollow Golf Club
« on: August 18, 2009, 02:58:55 PM »
Has anyone played Baiting Hollow Golf Club since it was renovated by Hurzdan Fry? I have some friends thinking of spending next summer out east and this club seems like a relative "bargain" and easily accessible.  Formerly Fox Hill, designed by RTJ Sr.  Their website is well done, but the golf course seems uninspired from the small selection of pictures used.

I'm unable to attend the Dixie Cup this year, but recommend it highly to anyone who can make it.  Palmetto Golf Club is worth the trip alone.  The GCA trip being held at the same time should also be a blast, I'm looking forward to reading the attendees impressions of the C3 & Spring Island one-two punch.  Both are very, very special places.

Best

Jeff

Mike Sweeney

Re: Baiting Hollow Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 05:15:30 PM »
Jeff,

Always liked Fox Hill but never loved it. It looks like they sunk a bunch of money into the land for the new clubhouse and then the new clubhouse. http://www.baitinghollowclub.com/Newsday_5_21.pdf

They seemed to have struggled in a good market with the member for a season model so this had to be a tough year. John Hines the pro was a great guy.

It was a classic RTJ Doak 5 course with some potential to be a 6 so I would like to see it now. That said, this picture is what holds the course back:

Parkland style maintenance on a site (1/3 mile from Friars Head) that screams for firm and fast. Can we narrow those fairways any more between the fairway bunkers? Can we add some more silly pines? If you clear that bunker 50 yards short of the green you land in rough!

I would personally choose to play Tall Grass and LI National instead, save the money and fly to Ireland for a few trips.

Again, nice course, great pro, looks like beautiful clubhouse, but if you are a Siskindish GCA nut, you will be bored after 10 rounds.

grandwazo

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 10:50:10 PM »
"Siskindish".... 51 and I finally have an adjective to call my own

Thanks Mike.

;D

bstark

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 10:29:45 AM »
  They have changed the hole sequence since they changed names. The clubhouse is now on the south end of the property and the old 15 is the now #1, the subsquent routing does not flow at all. The par fives are truly awful. The par 3's ok. The rest of the course is a hybrid of RTJ, and new design. Nothing memorable here. Save your dough and play LI National midweek after 3.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back