News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom MacWood

Who is XXXX?
« on: August 17, 2009, 10:48:49 PM »
“XXXX is a staunch advocate of the theory that America’s supremacy at golf is founded on the scientific bunkering and contouring of our greens. ‘You’ll notice,’ says XXXX, ‘how imported British professionals improve after they’ve played a few years on our correctly designed courses. Most of the historic British links were designed for the old gutty ball, the expansive greens are wide open, offering an inviting target. A player such as Bobby Jones can’t very well miss those enormous carpets. The approach to those British greens is often left unguarded.”
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 10:52:41 PM by Tom MacWood »

DMoriarty

Re: Who is XXXX?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 11:16:57 PM »
I did a quick internet search for "XXXX" but I don't think I am on the right track.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Emil Weber

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 03:36:22 AM »
XXXX or 4X is an australian beer company based in queensland  8)

Tom MacWood

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 06:26:29 AM »
It was written in 1927.

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 07:09:12 AM »
I'll take a stab at Tilly.

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Scott Warren

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 07:36:29 AM »
I'll say OB Keeler.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 07:56:16 AM »
Joshua Crane would be too easy?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 08:43:04 AM »
Baby Trent?

Walter Hagen?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 12:38:42 PM »
It's probably Tillinghast. And, since the snippet mentions "supremacy" and "British professionals," he's probably talking about how to test the best players of the day, in the context of that ongoing (over a couple of decades at least) question about what country produced the best players...and why.

Peter

Tom MacWood

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 01:22:50 PM »
A. W. Tillinghast is the correct answer.

“AW Tillinghast, dean of American golf architects, is a staunch advocate of the theory that America’s supremacy at golf is founded on the scientific bunkering and contouring of our greens. ‘You’ll notice,’ says Tillinghast, ‘how imported British professionals improve after they’ve played a few years on our correctly designed courses. Most of the historic British links were designed for the old gutty ball, the expansive greens are wide open, offering an inviting target. A player such as Bobby Jones can’t very well miss those enormous carpets. The approach to those British greens is often left unguarded.”

TEPaul

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 01:38:48 PM »
What a number of those guys back then referred to in that early era as "modern" or "scientific" architecture was pretty much synonymous or interchangeable.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 02:40:18 PM »

Ding ding ding, indeed it is.

P.S.  For those at home always be careful when doing a Google image serach on 'XXXX'.   ;D

Scott Warren

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 02:56:26 PM »
It used to have the tagline "Aussies couldn't give a XXXX about anything else". Something tells me there's no way that would fly these days.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 04:02:45 PM »
Tom MacWood - great thread...

Do you think Tillie was correct?

Tom MacWood

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2009, 05:19:00 PM »
I do think Tilly was right, but I also believe there were other factors. American courses were definitely more severely trapped as a general rule and rough was also more prominent. Scientifically bunnkered courses produced a more scientific or mechanically proficient golfer. Ameircan courses tended to produce golfers with a strong aerial game. It was also said American golfers tended to spend more time practicing. Americans tended toward medal play; the Brits who were more match play.

TEPaul

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2009, 05:27:07 PM »
"I do think Tilly was right, but I also believe there were other factors. American courses were definitely more severely trapped as a general rule and rough was also more prominent. Scientifically bunnkered courses produced a more scientific or mechanically proficient golfer. Ameircan courses tended to produce golfers with a strong aerial game. It was also said American golfers tended to spend more time practicing. Americans tended toward medal play; the Brits who were more match play."

Tom:

Good summation. That all would certainly seem to logically follow.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2009, 05:33:03 PM »

Were the American courses more in line of accept bunkers as their major hazards omitting most other forms commonly found on GB&I courses of the same period. Buildings, tracks, stonewalls mounds, burns, trees, heather, whins, dry gullies, fences, roads, quarries & pits to name but a few hazards.

I thought that the early American courses relied mainly upon the humble bunker and very little else.   

Melvyn

JESII

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2009, 05:40:24 PM »
Seems like a tough to prove statement.

“XXXX is a staunch advocate of the theory that America’s supremacy at golf is founded on the scientific bunkering and contouring of our greens. ‘You’ll notice,’ says XXXX, ‘how imported British professionals improve after they’ve played a few years on our correctly designed courses. Most of the historic British links were designed for the old gutty ball, the expansive greens are wide open, offering an inviting target. A player such as Bobby Jones can’t very well miss those enormous carpets. The approach to those British greens is often left unguarded.”

Do American psofessionals improve when they play in GB for an extended period? I would think.

What is more inviting? A rock hard open front green in a 30 mile per hour cross wind or a soft, well bunkered green with no wind?

How many greens do you think Bobby Jones would average in regulation during the Open Championships in the 20's?

TEPaul

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2009, 05:52:18 PM »
"I thought that the early American courses relied mainly upon the humble bunker and very little else."

Not exactly. Some of the earliest (1890s) courses and most significant clubs golf was a supplemental add-on to existing clubs that had begun earlier around cricket, tennis or more commonly the recreational and sporting world of the horse----eg racing, polo, fox hunting and steeplechase clubs. With most of those early courses existing features such as roads, ditches, stone walls and rough pasture grass etc were the primary hazard features in the beginning. The original 1894 nine of Myopia Hunt Club was a good example of that. On many of the early inland courses the hazard features pretty closely replicated the look and style of elongated and rectangular steeplechase pits and berms used in steeplechasing for jumping and in early golf as hazard features.  
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 05:54:10 PM by TEPaul »

Andy Gray

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2009, 11:39:10 PM »

Ding ding ding, indeed it is.

P.S.  For those at home always be careful when doing a Google image serach on 'XXXX'.   ;D

Probably the worst beer down under... truly horrible stuff.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2009, 06:46:42 AM »

Were the American courses more in line of accept bunkers as their major hazards omitting most other forms commonly found on GB&I courses of the same period. Buildings, tracks, stonewalls mounds, burns, trees, heather, whins, dry gullies, fences, roads, quarries & pits to name but a few hazards.

I thought that the early American courses relied mainly upon the humble bunker and very little else.   

Melvyn

What period are you referring to? Most of the early American courses were designed by British imports.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2009, 06:54:09 AM »
TMac,

Nice gca thread. I was away yesterday, but I thought it was Tillie, having remembered reading something like that.

That said, this is clearly a sales pitch!  And, it seems to have forgotten the wind ever present in GBI.  Oddly, it probably ignores the overall record of US pros in the British Open as well.  Yes, we were starting to win over their, but was it a number factor, more practice, etc., and/or how much did our architecture really play into it?

As a corrollary, when foreigners are winning here, does it mean they have better courses in Spain, Argentina and now, Korea?
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Cristian

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2009, 07:28:18 AM »

What is Scientific bunkering?

"I do think Tilly was right, but I also believe there were other factors. American courses were definitely more severely trapped as a general rule and rough was also more prominent. Scientifically bunnkered courses produced a more scientific or mechanically proficient golfer. Ameircan courses tended to produce golfers with a strong aerial game. It was also said American golfers tended to spend more time practicing. Americans tended toward medal play; the Brits who were more match play."

Tom:

Good summation. That all would certainly seem to logically follow.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2009, 07:55:38 AM »

Early 20th Century period. 

According to some no Scottish Import (sounds like crates of Singel Malt) designed Myopia or a few other US courses. These courses being home grown courses plucked out of the minds of those in the golfing know who understood the game better than any early Import (what a word, I can hear them shouting from their graves 'we are not imports or numbers, we are Human Beings from Scottish' - or am I wrong again).

Melvyn

TEPaul

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2009, 07:57:03 AM »
Cristian:

"Scientific" (or modern) bunkering were bunker schemes and placements that were worked out with the purpose in mind of either challenging or accommodating the expected shot types of various types of golfers throughout the spectrum of ability.

Some architects such as William Flynn even recommended that ideally a course should be put in play for a while before the bunker schemes were worked out simply to test via general play where bunkering should ideally be placed.

Obviously, in an overall sense this kind of thing probably devolves down to the application of mathematics----eg some generally set distances and arrangements for expected shots of different types of player. This is also the way an awful lot of bunker designing is done today.

For instance, it was not that long ago that fairway bunkering for the expert player for a tee shot was in the 267 yard range (which just happened to be 4" on a ruler on a 1 by 200 topo map ;) ). Today most architects have taken that fairway bunker placement for the tee shot of the expert player out to around 300 yards.

Basically, that's "scientific" bunkering.   ;)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 08:02:08 AM by TEPaul »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back