News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Nuzzo

Re: How Many New Courses are Under Construction Today?
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2009, 11:05:57 PM »
The Waldorf Astoria Orlando and Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek adds the Rees Jones-designed Waldorf Astoria Golf Club to the destination's list of amenities. The course will open Oct. 1
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2009, 11:15:50 PM »

I was at the Union Bay, B.C. course this past week and absolutely no work was underway. It is a Gil Hanse / Geoff Shackelford course with help from another fan of this site and is apparently held up pending litigation with some groups opposing the course on environmental grounds. As the real estate market in this part of the world is much better than in the US, I gather the project may have been proceeding but for the environmental protests.

The Carrick course at Predator Ridge in the BC Okanagan Valley area is still under construction and scheduled to open next summer. Most holes are finished and those that are not are close.

From this part of the world, I have no knowledge of any other new courses under construction in BC or western Washington.

There is a possibility of Ian Andrew's course, working wtih Mike Weir, adjacent to Predator Ridge, but at last word, it is still on hold.

Bob Jenkins

Will MacEwen

« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2009, 11:18:13 PM »

I was at the Union Bay, B.C. course this past week and absolutely no work was underway. It is a Gil Hanse / Geoff Shackelford course with help from another fan of this site and is apparently held up pending litigation with some groups opposing the course on environmental grounds. As the real estate market in this part of the world is much better than in the US, I gather the project may have been proceeding but for the environmental protests.

Bob - there was a whole mess up about the developer's plans and by-laws, but it looks to be back on track now, but moving slowly. 

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2009, 12:57:37 AM »
Sweeney has it right. He may be clueless about nacar, but is still the top of the line gca sort of guy. Go asia, South Korea, China and India. I am hearing of Jones Fr having a Warsaw, Poland project but I did not check it out last week.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2009, 03:27:28 AM »
Tom

European Golf Design has 2 projects on the ground right now.  Zavidovo in Russia, designed by David Sampson and The Dutch (guess where?) designed by Ross McMurray.  Ross also has Rowallan Castle, near Kilmarnock in Scotland due to open anytime soon.

Personally, I don't have anything pushing dirt this year.  Should be on the ground in either Denmark or Scotland next summer (or both with a fair wind).
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth

JWinick

« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2009, 03:40:14 AM »
While I certainly believe anyone on this website, developers/architects/etc... have a tendency to self-promote and put the best spin on things.   I remember talking to the marketing person for the Chicago Spire.  I told him I would bet any amount of money he was comfortable that the Spire would never get built when he says it will.  If I could have only collected on that bet!

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2009, 09:21:10 AM »
When I drive by The Cliffs at Mountain Park in South Carolina (not Tiger's High Carolina in NC, but Gary Player's course) I see grass on several holes but I haven't been out there to see how many holes are complete.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2009, 09:28:12 AM »
Should be on the ground in either Denmark or Scotland next summer (or both with a fair wind).

Robin , is the course at Blairs Estate still on track ?

Havent read anything on it for a while .

John Foley

« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2009, 09:50:10 AM »
9 Hole Champion Hills about a mile from my house. Tied into a retirement delvelopment.

Done by Barry Jordan who is a local guy out of Syracuse.

Supposed to open mid -2010 but they have 3 grassed and moving dirt every day.
Integrity in the moment of choice

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2009, 11:01:24 AM »

Should be on the ground in either Denmark or Scotland next summer (or both with a fair wind).

Robin , is the course at Blairs Estate still on track ?

Havent read anything on it for a while .

Brian:

Yes, we're still actively involved and hopeful of moving on with detailed design before too long.  Clearing all the planning hurdles is taking a long time!
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth

Adam_Messix

« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2009, 11:11:51 AM »
Greg--

I'm glad to hear that it looks like they are going to finish Chileno Bay.  It will be considered on of Fazio's best IMHO. 

Jonathan Davison

« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2009, 03:45:14 PM »
Ford Golf Design is currently finishing a project in Prague, we had 1 start construction in Poland in July, we have 1 going through permits and 1 to start design in winter.
I have recently visited a project in Poland and another in Slovakia under construction, both with healthy construction budgets !!
I am not sure if European is that quiet, I am hearing about a number of projects in construction or due to go into construction.

paul cowley

« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2009, 05:23:11 PM »
I am finishing [finally!] the Dunes Course at Diamante Cabo San Lucas....a course I have been designing with Love Golf Design.
The Grand Opening is scheduled for December, and I don't see a problem with that.
We had a long period of inactivity on the site when Lehman fell out as the primary lender, but the slow down has probably helped the grow in as we were grassed when the shutdown occurred.....just working on the all important site detailing.

We....[Lanny] Wadkins Design Group, myself, and Forrest Fezler's construction group....are building Black Jacks's Crossing at Lajitas Resort in the Big Bend area of West Texas.
The course is 2/3rds complete and will be fully grassed by the end of October, and the course should be opening in late spring or early summer of next year....depending on the grow in.

I...or a combination of different entities...have four good projects that could start in the next 6 to 12 months.

But I would be very happy if just one of these actually goes forward.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 05:24:42 PM by paul cowley »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Bill_McBride

« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2009, 06:42:12 PM »
The Waldorf Astoria Orlando and Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek adds the Rees Jones-designed Waldorf Astoria Golf Club to the destination's list of amenities. The course will open Oct. 1

Mike, I saw the Texas City web page, it looks very cool indeed.  What is the construction schedule?

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2009, 07:11:31 PM »
Kelly...I assume the project you had in Monmouth County, NJ is on hold?
Cliff,

I am not sure I have a project in Monmouth County, but doesn't matter if its Bigmouth, Openyamouth, Watchchamouth, its on hold!!!

Did a search and the course I was thinking of was Old Bridge.  Came across an article that said in 2008 it was essentially abandoned.  Sorry to hear that.

Tim Gerrish

« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2009, 08:27:24 AM »
Very quiet in New England.  We have one new course in NY in initial stages of permitting.  Pioppi course will get built before that one.  Pioppi course is the only new project I've heard anything about in months.  There are a bunch on hold.

We have a bunch (hand full) of misc renovation projects, including a great renovation of Waubeeka Golf Links in Williamstown, MA.  Re-building several holes, new practice area, bunkering, pond, etc.  Project is in phase two of at least 3 phases.

Even the master plan projects have evaporated.  Everyone is sitting on their hands.  Maybe a revolution is in order. 

John Chilver-Stainer

« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2009, 11:42:23 AM »
At present I'm just completing an 18-Hole Par 72 in the Swiss Alps in the Canton of Graubunden which will have taken nearly 20 years between conception and the opening next spring.
I have a 9-Hole near Basel in the pipeline for next year - otherwise in Switzerland everything appears to be on hold.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2009, 11:43:29 AM »
Very quiet in New England.  We have one new course in NY in initial stages of permitting.  Pioppi course will get built before that one.  Pioppi course is the only new project I've heard anything about in months.  There are a bunch on hold.

We have a bunch (hand full) of misc renovation projects, including a great renovation of Waubeeka Golf Links in Williamstown, MA.  Re-building several holes, new practice area, bunkering, pond, etc.  Project is in phase two of at least 3 phases.

Even the master plan projects have evaporated.  Everyone is sitting on their hands.  Maybe a revolution is in order. 

Is the Pioppi course a nine holer?  ;D

Tim Gerrish

« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2009, 12:29:57 PM »
Bill,  9 holes with alternate tees on 8 of them.  I think I could play 1 and 9 six different ways! 

Greg Tallman

« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2009, 01:23:22 PM »
I am finishing [finally!] the Dunes Course at Diamante Cabo San Lucas....a course I have been designing with Love Golf Design.
The Grand Opening is scheduled for December, and I don't see a problem with that.
We had a long period of inactivity on the site when Lehman fell out as the primary lender, but the slow down has probably helped the grow in as we were grassed when the shutdown occurred.....just working on the all important site detailing.

We....[Lanny] Wadkins Design Group, myself, and Forrest Fezler's construction group....are building Black Jacks's Crossing at Lajitas Resort in the Big Bend area of West Texas.
The course is 2/3rds complete and will be fully grassed by the end of October, and the course should be opening in late spring or early summer of next year....depending on the grow in.

I...or a combination of different entities...have four good projects that could start in the next 6 to 12 months.

But I would be very happy if just one of these actually goes forward.

Paul, when are you next in town? I am having dinner with Erik tomorrow evening, sushi and saki, doesn't get much better than that.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #70 on: August 18, 2009, 01:28:29 PM »
Bill,  9 holes with alternate tees on 8 of them.  I think I could play 1 and 9 six different ways! 

Is that the course design that was on the site here last week or a little earlier, split into three separate areas?  Interesting.  How long will be walk be between the "zones?"

Tim Leahy

« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2009, 01:43:43 PM »
Any projects starting or finishing in California?
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tim Gerrish

« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2009, 03:25:04 PM »
Bill, Yes the same one as profiled last week and commented on by Mr. Pioppi. 

Thad Layton

« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2009, 04:20:58 PM »
Arnold Palmer Design Company has 1 domestic job under construction (the remodel of The Bay Hill Club-Orlando) and 2 abroad (Bokor Mountain- Phnom Penh, Cambodia + a yet to be named course in Kunming, China).

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #74 on: August 18, 2009, 04:23:54 PM »
The Mike Nicklaus Applecross project out here in Chester County, PA still appears to be on hold.  Interestingly, they have a couse description up on their website: http://www.applecrosscc.com/coursedescription.html

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back