News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

How Many New Courses are Under Construction Today?
« on: August 15, 2009, 11:07:18 AM »
There's another thread up about potential "Best New" courses that includes several which haven't started.  There are a million projects out there "on hold" ... most of them likely in PERMANENT limbo.

I've heard all sorts of dire numbers about how many new courses are underway.  Let's see how many we can actually find.

Personally, I have two projects which have just been completed, and will open in 2010 -- the Bay of Dreams and Old Macdonald.  We have none that we are actively building in the dirt right now.  I expect that we will break ground on 1-2 around the end of this year, but we aren't counting those.

For Bill Coore (who isn't likely to post), I believe The Dormie Club has started up again, and he is still doing shaping on the new course at Barnbougle, so that's two.  I think he is just starting to do real work on his project in China, so maybe that's three, if they get done for 2011.

I hope all of the architects here will respond.  And the rest of you cover a lot of ground, so please chip in with anything you've seen that is actually under construction.

Running totals: through 37 posts

In America:  6 (nobody with more than one!)

In Rest of World:  11 (Graham Cooke is king of the hill with 4 of these)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 10:36:22 AM by Tom_Doak »

Mike_Young

Re: How Many New Courses are Under Construction Today?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 11:10:52 AM »
TD,
Two that are staked and cleared..but ready to go...I don't count them.....plus they are out of the country...one in the US that could say go at anytime.....or blow-up completely.....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Mike_DeVries

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 11:14:42 AM »
Tom,
Nothing in the dirt at this time.  Hard to say when those projects "on hold" will say "go" as you know.
Best,
Mike

PThomas

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 11:19:35 AM »
chicago highlands by art hills
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 12:22:31 PM »
Hills project under construction last year - Arundel
I haven't seen any other new construction
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 12:29:35 PM »
Tom,
Nothing in the dirt at this time.  Hard to say when those projects "on hold" will say "go" as you know.
Best,
Mike

Mike, I hear El Boqueron is on hold, is that right?  I was hoping to get a look when we're in Austin in second half of October.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 12:38:09 PM »
If complete, major renovation counts as new ( which it basically will be) - Roger Rulewich, Meadowbrook in Rhode Island.

hick

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 01:08:15 PM »
Went by meadow brook last week and i would say it is a new course. 138 does get good traffic but they will compete with beaver river a half mile away.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 03:22:44 PM by Mat Hickey »

Scott Macpherson

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 01:57:01 PM »
As you know Tom we are currently in construction with the 'Colt' course at Close House (Newcastle, England). This is a brand new 18 hole 'championship' layout.

Have an 18 hole renovation job about to start in New Zealand too.... not that we are counting them right?

scott

Adam_Messix

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 01:59:27 PM »
Baker's Bay, a Tom Fazio designed Discovery Land Company development is under construction in the Bahamas.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2009, 02:01:07 PM »

Personally, I have two projects which have just been completed, and will open in 2010 -- the Bay of Dreams and Old Macdonald. 

I haven't heard much if anything about Bay of Dreams.  Can anyone give more info on this course?  

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2009, 02:04:32 PM »
I have just one. The Stranahan Course. Will open in 2010, it is halfway between Bristol and Bath, UK.

Everything else is 'on hold'.

In Bulgaria, Thracian Cliffs is under construction. Its a Gary Player course was well shaped up when I last looked a year ago.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2009, 02:35:07 PM »
Tom,

We currently have two golf courses under construction in rural Manitoba, a 9-hole addition to an existing facility and a new 18-hole project. Looking forward, we have a new 36-hole golf course that we are confident will start in 2010 plus 4-5 other new projects that may or may not pan out.

TK

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2009, 02:40:13 PM »
Went by meadow brook last week and iwould say it is a new course. 138 does get good but they will compete with beaver river a half mile away.

Played Beaver River once.  One of the worst courses ever.  Ridiculously tight in spots.  Often couldn't hit driver.  The opposite of fun golf.  Meadow Brook looks good from the road, although Rulewich has a tendency to build courses that are a bit too tough for my liking.

Greg Clark

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2009, 02:40:58 PM »
Tripp Davis and Justin Leonard have The Old American Golf Club at The Tribute scheduled to open this fall in the Dallas area.  I know the front 9 is ready now, and it sounds like the back is close.  Davis' initial effort at the facility - The Tribute - is a collection of Scottish replica holes and is currently at Golf Digest Top 100 public course.

"The course will serve as a tribute to the early courses of America such as Shinnecock, National Golf Links, Garden City, Prairie Dunes, and Crystal Downs. Again, this course will not be “copies” of original holes, but inspired by the art, strategy and sprit of such courses."

At least they haven't set the bar too high  :)  The first course is very fun to play.  You can see a few of the new holes when driving to the clubhouse, and there does look to be some intrigue.

Neal_Meagher

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2009, 03:04:12 PM »
Like Mike Young, I have one out of the country that is cleared, irrigation lake started and final design wrapping up now, but still awaiting word on when we will start construction.  Interesting site, with 13 holes in rock and 5 on sand.
The purpose of art is to delight us; certain men and women (no smarter than you or I) whose art can delight us have been given dispensation from going out and fetching water and carrying wood. It's no more elaborate than that. - David Mamet

www.nealmeaghergolf.com

Peter Ferlicca

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2009, 03:23:09 PM »
I can't remember what it is called but I know that Fazio is also finishing up a course in the Cabo area.  I did a guess the course thread on it a while ago, looked pretty nice.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2009, 03:29:09 PM »
Don't forget Cabot Links since it is backed by the Grand Poobahs of this site.

hick

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2009, 03:30:41 PM »
Cliff i live in newport and only played beaver river once and agree about the course being lame.  with Richmond and beaver river as well as the new Meadowbrook all on 138 a couple miles away, I hope they do well.

Yannick Pilon

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2009, 04:35:39 PM »
Tom,

Graham Cooke and I are working on an 18-hole course near Quebec City which just broke ground a month ago, and should open in 2011 (Club de Golf Les Boisés de Joly).  We also have an 18 hole course scheduled to open for limited play this fall on Cape-Breton (The Lakes Golf Club), 18 holes under construction in India (Jaypee Greens - Noida), and 9 holes under construction in Italy (Riviera Golf).  Graham and Wayne Carleton are just opening one in BC as well (Shadow Mountain).

We could be busier, like everybody else, but in this economic climate, that's not too bad.

YP
www.yannickpilongolf.com - Golf Course Architecture, Quebec, Canada

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2009, 06:10:59 PM »
Firekeeper in Mayetta, Ks has about 15 holes shaped now and will grass next month.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tim Liddy

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2009, 06:22:42 PM »

Ian Andrew

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2009, 07:12:18 PM »
Nothing new underway.

Scott Weersing

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2009, 08:12:25 PM »

So with this statement,"We have none that we are actively building in the dirt right now." What happens to the tractors you use to move the dirt?

I would guess that they are leased for each project. Or does one project pay for them so it is not a loss if they are just sitting now?

Scott Witter

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2009, 09:19:41 PM »
I have none in construction, but an old (6 yrs ago) client call me about 2 months ago said he plans to bring me back to the project next spring to re-estart design, but I am not getting excited about it yet.

I thought I heard that Gil Hanse has returned to at least one or perhaps two of his that began a year or so ago...Tokoyo is one I think?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back