News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

Re: GRUDGE MATCH/WINE VALLEY pictorial.
« Reply #75 on: August 11, 2009, 05:50:12 PM »
No fair inserting a cliffhanger - overnight no less - at this point in the match.

460 yards par 5 - were they playing the "forward" tees?   ??? ;D

Blue tees at 6335.

Anthony

Anthony,

You forgot to tell Bill that this hole plays straight into the prevailing winds.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #76 on: August 11, 2009, 05:51:35 PM »
The crowd control WAS very good....given how much was riding on this match....

Anthony...so let me get this straight...Brandy started drinking mojito's around 11:30am?  Can I meet her?

I just forward this to Janet's email!
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Anthony Gray

« Reply #77 on: August 11, 2009, 05:52:57 PM »

LISTEN UP PRIVATE! The information on the strategic 7th hole is valuable! Just be lucky I didn't push the "Report to Moderator" button for that last outburst!

;D

Garland- its laughable that anyone but the most experienced could suggest such a thing.  Garland one of the fundamental elements of gca is that  the seventh hole of a routing should not fall prey to some formulaic nature of design habit, thus constricting the process and outcome of great gca on a landscape as diverse as Wine Valley appears to be.

Well said Eric        +1

Anthony Gray

« Reply #78 on: August 11, 2009, 05:56:22 PM »
and Anthony was heard to utter as Garland's ball tracked to the hole....

Maybe..... YES SIR!!!!

;D

I too am loving this.  Great work.

I think I roared..................."The Bird is out of hibernation!!"

Anthony

Anthony Gray

« Reply #79 on: August 11, 2009, 06:01:47 PM »
No fair inserting a cliffhanger - overnight no less - at this point in the match.

460 yards par 5 - were they playing the "forward" tees?   ??? ;D

Blue tees at 6335.

Anthony

Anthony,

You forgot to tell Bill that this hole plays straight into the prevailing winds.

Bill,

The hole plays uphill into the wind.

Anthony

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #80 on: August 11, 2009, 06:02:39 PM »
Damn right Anthony.  Man I wish I was present for this... my comment might have been....

If I knew how Garland thought I would have won this event many times.  No seriously... he's taking dead aim at the hole.. make the swing you are capable of... accelerate through... your destiny is right here.

Or something like that.

;D

Craig Sweet

« Reply #81 on: August 11, 2009, 06:25:40 PM »
Quote from: Craig Sweet on Today at 03:28:53 PM
The crowd control WAS very good....given how much was riding on this match....

Anthony...so let me get this straight...Brandy started drinking mojito's around 11:30am?  Can I meet her?

I just forward this to Janet's email!
/quote]

I think Janet's playing Chambers Bay this weekend...so I am available.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Anthony Gray

« Reply #82 on: August 11, 2009, 08:44:35 PM »

Scott..Craig..Huck..Bill..Eric and all. Thank you for the kind words so far. And to those that speak of the demise of the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group please let me introduce you to Garland Bayley PhD and Kalen Braley. Without men like this there would not be golf course architecture. I am a rich man for traveling across the country to spend a few hours following these two on the golf course. In there fists on each others chins you can find THE SPIRIT OF THE GAME.

Respectfully,

Anthony Ray Gray DMD

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2009, 08:45:38 PM »
 Blue tees at 6335.

Anthony

You mean they weren't playing at 5192?!?!?!?!
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Bill_McBride

« Reply #84 on: August 11, 2009, 09:36:13 PM »
Still can't believe you're leaving us hangin' here.........this reminds me of the serials Saturday afternoons at the movies.  Flash Gordon with Buster Crabbe  :o , Roy Rogers, Tom Mix.....cliff hangers every week.

Right now we have Kalen and Garland hanging off the cliff.......let us out of our miserable suspense.......for the love of God!    >:( ;D

Anthony Gray

« Reply #85 on: August 11, 2009, 09:47:59 PM »
Still can't believe you're leaving us hangin' here.........this reminds me of the serials Saturday afternoons at the movies.  Flash Gordon with Buster Crabbe  :o , Roy Rogers, Tom Mix.....cliff hangers every week.

Right now we have Kalen and Garland hanging off the cliff.......let us out of our miserable suspense.......for the love of God!    >:( ;D

Bill.....my good friend. You know how I spell so how do you expect me to know how to post pictures. Brandy gets in the office at 8:00 AM and I'll have her on top of it. Maybe 8:30 if she has a hangover. But I will tell you this  was a great and exciting finish. I cannot wait for the next GRUDGE MATCH. Maybe I can get another crack at you? Thanks for tuning in Bill, you are a wonderful embasador of the game.

Anthony

Bill_McBride

« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2009, 07:30:07 AM »

Bill.....my good friend. You know how I spell so how do you expect me to know how to post pictures. Brandy gets in the office at 8:00 AM and I'll have her on top of it. Maybe 8:30 if she has a hangover. But I will tell you this  was a great and exciting finish. I cannot wait for the next GRUDGE MATCH. Maybe I can get another crack at you? Thanks for tuning in Bill, you are a wonderful embasador of the game.

Anthony

"Maybe I can get another crack at you?"

Remember what Appollo Creed told Rocky at the end of Rocky I?

"There ain't gonna be no rematch......"   ;D   Not unless Brandy comes along.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #87 on: August 12, 2009, 11:11:11 AM »

With Kalen 1 up going into the 16th hole both players were feeling the pressure. Hole 16 par 3 155 into the wind. Kalen first up, pulls one left,hits the cart path and bounds into the wispy stuff. Garland with a grin plays short to avoid the SLAG Bunker. Take a look at Slag's creation. A work of art and menace to back pin location.

ALL SQUARE with two to go

Jason Topp

« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2009, 11:14:24 AM »
Where is the cart path?  Looks like an accomplishment to hit it.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #89 on: August 12, 2009, 11:16:49 AM »
Where is the cart path?  Looks like an accomplishment to hit it.

W.............A................Y........................... left.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #90 on: August 12, 2009, 11:25:31 AM »
  Blue tees at 6335.

Anthony

You mean they weren't playing at 5192?!?!?!?!

Charlie,

Matt Ward did not appear, make us play from 5192, and insist we take golf lessons. For that, I will be forever grateful.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #91 on: August 12, 2009, 11:35:08 AM »

With Kalen 1 up going into the 16th hole both players were feeling the pressure. Hole 16 par 3 155 into the wind. Kalen first up, pulls one left,hits the cart path and bounds into the wispy stuff. Garland with a grin plays short to avoid the SLAG Bunker. Take a look at Slag's creation. A work of art and menace to back pin location.

ALL SQUARE with two to go

I had earlier warned that my buddy Slagbert had set traps for the Sandman. When the Sandman saw that yawning beauty on the 16th hole, his heart began to flutter, his knees felt weak, and his subconscious steered him as far away as possible, from where he inched closer and closer, shot after shot to the hole. Meanwhile, I welcomed my buddies work, hit my ball next to it below the hole, chipped next to the flag, and walked off with a simple par.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #92 on: August 12, 2009, 11:38:43 AM »
Ok folks...

I'm baaaaaccckkk!!

Anthony, great work so far on getting this thread up.  Hold off on any more posts so I can get caught up and give my side of the story. These guys have waited 5 days, a few more hours wont hurt right?   ;D

I'll be making a few posts over the next hour to address speficic things..

Garland Bayley

« Reply #93 on: August 12, 2009, 11:44:11 AM »
...Garland with a grin plays short to avoid the SLAG Bunker. ...

Actually I carried the bunker and lie between it and the green.
From the tee, I thought the wind was across, and I hit a solid shot I fully expected to reach the green and to be carried left by the wind. I was surprised at where it finished. As I walked to the green I could feel the wind more and more in my face, thereby explaining the action of the ball.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #94 on: August 12, 2009, 11:55:13 AM »
First some general comments...

I had a blast playing Wine Valley and glad Garland and Anthony were able to make it.  The course really is fantastic and Garland you shouldn't be too jealous of the other courses for the weekend because in my opinion, WV was the 2nd best one.  More to come on that in other threads later I suspect.

WV really does play fast firm although a few spots were soggy due to the very unusual August rain we had that day and the day before.  The greens were quick with tons of undulation and the fairways certainly had their turbo boosts.

My back held up well even though it was still sore going in.  Wwalking 18 was the best relief yet because after the round it never felt better.  But certainly I would have not have tried to carry, so AG followed us around in the cart and I put my bag on it.  ;D The sore back thing was a non-issue...I made plenty of bad swings on my own accord....

Anthony Gray

« Reply #95 on: August 12, 2009, 12:00:16 PM »

Number 17. Uphill par 4. This hole plays more uphill tha any other one the course. It has a right hand bunker that is reachable and on the left it has a bunker that has been filled in but the lip of it was kept. It has a neat look. Similiar to something found at The Castle Course. That "land form" should not come into play because it is parrelel with the fairway.

THe pressure gets to each player. Both hit short drives to the left. Garland then pushes one way left into the high grass and presumed lost. As Garland and I ventured in the direction of his ball, Kalen hit his second. We did not see it,but it ended up on top of the eye brow. A 20 yard shot at best. Both players in trouble after two shots.

Kalen comes up short.... twice.  Garland makes the green unbelievably.     

GARLAND............DORMIE  with one to go

Garland Bayley

« Reply #96 on: August 12, 2009, 12:01:05 PM »
Anthony was at times quite disgusted, to which our response was "welcome to the world of high handicap golf."
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 12:03:32 PM by Bayley R. Garland »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #97 on: August 12, 2009, 12:06:53 PM »

I bet most of you would not have an appreciation of the location or lie for this shot from the wilds of Walla Walla. However, it was so much like being in the wilds off of Jawbone Creek Country Club where I learned to play golf that I felt quite comfortable and confident standing over it. Hit it on the green and my day was assured a good outcome.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 12:14:51 PM by Bayley R. Garland »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #98 on: August 12, 2009, 12:10:03 PM »
The 7th hole really was a site to behold, at least on the approach shot and the green complex.  Outside of Pasa 16, it may have been the wildest green I've ever seen.  I had a blind approach for a 3rd with a long two putt needed.

And P.S. Garlands birdie putt was at least 10 feet, so not exactly one he should have made.  ;)

As for 5, 12, and 15, that sand river was the neatest thing I've seen on a golf course in a long time.  It was a waste bunker, but looked more like a river of sand just flowing down the gentle slope....very very neat design feature that was both aesthetic and in play as I got in it twice.

P.S. Tom my 2nd putt on 12 was a long one, at least 7-8 feet...just an awful time for a bad 1st putt.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #99 on: August 12, 2009, 12:12:09 PM »
I would like to note that I had quietly arranged this match with Kalen without Anthony's knowledge. Once it was arranged, I asked Kalen if I could tell Anthony to which he readily agreed even though I am sure he must have had some misgivings about the spectacle he was getting himself into. When I told Anthony, he was all in all the way. Anthony treated us like royalty, which was much appreciated. I want to give my utmost thanks to Kalen, and especially to Anthony for their participation in this. WE HAD A BLAST!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back