News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kevin Pallier

Re: USA (The Final Frontier)
« Reply #175 on: November 06, 2009, 03:36:10 AM »

« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 01:39:18 AM by Kevin Pallier »

Scott Warren

« Reply #176 on: November 06, 2009, 04:38:05 AM »
Great pics KP.

Some questions:

1. Is St Andrew's still your favourite golf course?
2. Where would you have most liked another round?
3. What positively surprised you about golf in the US?
4. Which architect whose work you first played on this US trip would you most wish to explore further?

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #177 on: November 06, 2009, 06:39:05 AM »
Great pics KP.

Some questions:

1. Is St Andrew's still your favourite golf course?
2. Where would you have most liked another round?
3. What positively surprised you about golf in the US?
4. Which architect whose work you first played on this US trip would you most wish to explore further?

Cheers Scott

1. Absolutely - there's so much history and the whole setting gets me going every time
2. There's too many to choose from to say but one
3. The scale and topography movements were the biggest things that I noticed
4. From the Golden Age = Ross and Modern = Coore & Crenshaw - I think we're in for a treat at Lost Farm if the work at Friars Head, Sand Hills, Hidden Creek and Bandon Trails is anything for me to go by.

Ash Towe

« Reply #178 on: November 06, 2009, 07:19:21 PM »
Kevin,

Really pleased you made it home and with so many great memories and photos if these are anything to go by.

Hope we can catch up soon, I have many questions for you.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #179 on: November 06, 2009, 11:39:25 PM »
Cheers Ash

Will call you tomorrow night your time

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #180 on: November 07, 2009, 08:01:17 PM »
Great thread, looks like the trip of a lifetime!

Ash Towe

« Reply #181 on: November 07, 2009, 09:18:18 PM »
Hi Kevin,

Look forward to it.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #182 on: November 13, 2009, 01:35:35 AM »
Attached are some comrades I met whilst in the US - thanks for the memories gentlemen

Matt Day

« Reply #183 on: November 13, 2009, 01:57:28 AM »
you lucky, lucky bugger

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #184 on: November 13, 2009, 02:04:06 AM »
Matt

It was indeed a "trip of a lifetime" - and I am eternally gratefull for the opportunities that arose and to all who were a part of it.

Look forward to the next chance we get to catch up

Matt Day

« Reply #185 on: November 13, 2009, 02:14:55 AM »
Matt

It was indeed a "trip of a lifetime" - and I am eternally gratefull for the opportunities that arose and to all who were a part of it.

Look forward to the next chance we get to catch up
it does indeed, looking at all those great photos makes me want to jump on a plane and do the same. At this stage a couple of games are being worked on for San Diego in February.

Karrinyup awaits us next time your in Perth  :)

Gene Greco

« Reply #186 on: November 13, 2009, 07:43:23 AM »
Kevin:

Your trip was a golfer's dream come true and I'm glad to have been a part of it. However, we has our asses handed to us by junior, didn't we?

Donnie:

I'm speechless. Yours is the ugliest garment I've ever seen worn on a golf course. In fact, those shorts are nauseating! :-\

Ed:

Nice hat.

Bob H:

I believe you need to be in touch with our friend Donnie B. in order to impart SOME fashion sense. What a pity.  ;)   
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 10:10:55 AM by Gene Greco »
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

John Mayhugh

« Reply #187 on: November 13, 2009, 08:11:05 AM »
Kevin,

Thanks for the pics.  I'll be taking plenty of them in Australia in 2011!

Jim Thornton

« Reply #188 on: November 13, 2009, 09:44:19 AM »
John Mayhugh-

Anthony Kim just called.....he wants his belt buckle back.

Jim

John Mayhugh

« Reply #189 on: November 13, 2009, 11:53:34 AM »
John Mayhugh-

Anthony Kim just called.....he wants his belt buckle back.

Jim

I'm glad my waist could offer you some entertainment, but your wit is misplaced. 

I think AK would be disappointed in that particular belt buckle as it is a rather basic rectangle and not particularly large.  When you're built like I am, you really don't want to draw attention to the waistline.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #190 on: November 13, 2009, 01:42:12 PM »
Is that a Diet Pepsi in that guy's hand on the cliff next to the Pacific?
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #191 on: November 14, 2009, 05:20:00 AM »
Gene

Well - you were carrying a big load that day in me....Junior is one damn lucky lad though  ;)

As for Donnie's attire it must be said it was absolutely freezing in the afternoon and I don't know what posessed him to wear shorts of all things let alone the one's he put his hands on  ;D

John

Roll on 2011....looking forward to seeing you again "down under"

KevinR

Surely not ?

Jimbo

I didn't get a snap of you on my travels - I'll have to get your "admirers" at the club to pass on one to me

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #192 on: February 14, 2010, 04:25:14 AM »
Hi Kevin
I was on GCA many years ago, have never stopped reading, but have finally got around to getting on to Ran & Ben to get my old log in back up so I can post again.
A mate and I have just began organising a trip to the US (of a lifetime) - I am on the Bellarine Peninsula - to Bandon and Nebraska - but I am planning to add some of the big guys to either end. My absolute dream course are to play Cypress, Pine V, Merion and National - I have letters typed and ready to send with references etc. (a trip in 2005 to Ireland and Scotland has added to the study)

I am extremely passionate about GCA - built a golf hole in my backyard based on the good Doctor's quote about playing in one's pyjamas! ( 330sqm green with 3 pins and 10 tees) And just like you, am planning a bit of a study tour with the New age in the middle and Golden Age either end in July this year.

Do you have any advice or suggestions? will well written letters get me a chance to walk or play ?

Thanks  :)
Brett
@theflatsticker

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #193 on: February 15, 2010, 05:30:54 PM »
Hi Brett

How long do you plan on going for ?

I travelled in the fall and whilst it was relatively late in the golfing season - it wasn't in the middle of summer which is peak time I believe with golfers travelling about. I also travelled by myself which may have made things less complicated ?

I found myself very fortunate with the letter writing - my trip was not all about playing the courses but studying them was the main premise of my sojourn. One can only ask ?

I have sent you a PM.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 05:40:48 PM by Kevin Pallier »

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #194 on: February 15, 2010, 05:36:09 PM »
I love the shot of you by the Hogan plaque at Merion...the Walker Cup guys said they got home with 4-irons.  I took some shots there and emailed them to very grateful people...friendship is a wonderful thing.  Congratulations on a f.a. trip to our country.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tom Birkert

« Reply #195 on: February 15, 2010, 05:44:03 PM »
I love the shot of you by the Hogan plaque at Merion...the Walker Cup guys said they got home with 4-irons.  I took some shots there and emailed them to very grateful people...friendship is a wonderful thing.  Congratulations on a f.a. trip to our country.

Played with Stiggy Hodgson yesterday and he was going on about how long Wallace Booth hits it, but when you have a tour quality short game it tends to make up for most things. They all really enjoyed Merion and the entire experience.

Kevin - wonderful pictures and I'm sure the memories will last a lifetime.

I'm embarking on a shorter trip to California in a couple of weeks and will be delighted if I end up with pictures half as good as these!

George Freeman

« Reply #196 on: February 16, 2010, 09:55:19 AM »
Kevin,

You are a lucky, lucky, lucky man.  That is an absolute trip of a lifetime and I trust you’ll have the pictures, friendships, diaries and memories to appreciate it well into the twilight years of your life.  I have thoroughly enjoyed following this post from the beginning as well as reading your other posts (and pictures) on the different courses you were fortunate enough to play.  It has been really fun living this dream vicariously through you!

Also, much kudos to the various GCA brethren who helped Kevin’s dream trip come to life.  The generosity of the members of this site is truly amazing and is what makes membership so special.

Please continue to enlighten us on your recollections of the trip as the dust settles and the memories continue to solidify.

Cheers,

George
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #197 on: February 16, 2010, 05:11:44 PM »
Ronald

If only I had a swing that resembled something like Hogans......

George / Tom

Thanks. I am still working through photos and documenting my thoughts. I am currently doing a write-up of Garden City Golf Club at the moment then have California and the following regions:
- Monterey
- San Francisco
- LA / Santa Barbara
so much to do in amongst work / family etc ie: the normality of things but yes the memories continue to flow

Justin Ryan

« Reply #198 on: February 16, 2010, 05:19:38 PM »
If only I had a swing that resembled something like Hogans......

Perhaps Kenny Perry!!

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #199 on: February 16, 2010, 05:31:50 PM »
Justin

I think it's probably the closest match  ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back