News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Herrmann

Re: USA (The Final Frontier)
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2009, 07:21:58 AM »
Denver is an easy destination from EWR (Newark, NJ) or PHL (Philadelphia).  Frontier Airlines uses DIA (Denver) as a hub, as does United.   For US flights, I personally like AirTran and Jet Blue.

DIA - SFO is an easy trip, and you'll probably be on United.

If you're trying to get to Bandon, try SFO - Medford, OR (MFD).  I think United has a non-stop.  From Medford, you'd drive to Bandon.  If you're up to it, US199 is one helluva route - the Oregon part is boring, but it dips into California for about 20 miles till you turn back north on US101 to Bandon.  US199 in California is a cliff-hugging roller-coaster of a road perched high above the Smith River canyon.  

Alternatively, Eugene OR (EUG) is a good choice.  From there, OR 126 to US 101 is your route.  This is probably the fastest way over.  Portland (PDX) would require you drive to Eugene anyway.  

The closest airport to Bandon is North Bend/Coos Bay (OTH).

(If you want a hidden gem, try Astoria Golf Club - but it's about 250 miles north of Bandon along US101, which isn't exactly a freeway!)

The challenge with Bandon is that it's not super easy to get to.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 07:23:51 AM by Dan Herrmann »

Carl Nichols

« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2009, 07:42:06 AM »
Dan:
Last I heard, United was flying a direct flight from SFO to Coos Bay.  That was about a year ago, however; I don't know if it has been discontinued.

Jeff Spittel

« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2009, 07:50:38 AM »
Kevin,

I would disagree with the recommendation to play Galloway National before Baltusrol. I think Galloway is a fine track, but the overall golfing experience is simply better at Balty, particulalry if you can play the Lower and Upper courses in one day. Just my two cents. 
Fare and be well now, let your life proceed by its own design.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2009, 10:06:43 AM »
Someone also may be able to assist me with the airlines of America as I dont have much experience re: same

Which is the best /easiest /cheapest way to do the following legs ? I will be seeing a travel agent shortly but if I could get an idea as to how long it takes to do these trips ?

- NJ/PA to Denver ?
- Denver to San Francisco ?
- SF to Oregon ?

Also, how long should one allow to drive from Monterey to LAX Airport ?

Thanks

Kevin,

Travelling from NJ to Denver is ~ 3-4 hr flight.
Denver to San Fran ~ 2.5 Hr flight.

Going to Bandon from SF you have two options.  Drive, with the scenic sights as a bonus, which takes about 6 hrs.
Fly into north Bend Airport (Coos Bay).  I just priced this out on Yahoo Travel and roundtrip it was ~$450 for a direct flight, (just over 1 hr)

The drive from Monterey to LAX is a good 5 hrs at a minimum, but can vary widely based on traffic.

ed_getka

« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2009, 02:29:01 PM »
Kevin,
    Keep in mind many airlines now charge for luggage and Southwest does not.

Kalen,
    If you can drive to Bandon from SF in 6 hours you must have a Ferrarri and a backlog of speeding tickets. :) I have done that drive 3 times and I push the envelope when it comes to the speed limit, but it is more like 9-10 hours.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2009, 06:25:23 PM »
Kevin,

Kalen,
    If you can drive to Bandon from SF in 6 hours you must have a Ferrarri and a backlog of speeding tickets. :) I have done that drive 3 times and I push the envelope when it comes to the speed limit, but it is more like 9-10 hours.

Ed,

Even Google Maps which is conservative says the drive is only 8 hours from San Fran to Bandon.  6 hours may be a little quick but 7 is easily doable!   8)

Perhaps you should trade in the Yugo for a vehicle with at least 4 cylinders!!!   ;D

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2009, 09:33:22 PM »
Dan / Carl

Cheers for the insights into the logistical side of things. It's one thing to have a course on your itinerary - it's another to work out how to get there  :)

Kalen

Thanks for the advice re: Oregon and the driving times you mentioned. I have a better understanding now - though I will have to get use to driving on the other side of the road which will add time to the trip :-\

Ed

Thanks for the Southwest advice

« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 09:56:09 PM by Kevin Pallier »

ed_getka

« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2009, 09:37:22 PM »
Kevin,

Kalen,

Ed,

Even Google Maps which is conservative says the drive is only 8 hours from San Fran to Bandon.  6 hours may be a little quick but 7 is easily doable!   8)

Perhaps you should trade in the Yugo for a vehicle with at least 4 cylinders!!!   ;D

Kaken,
 I would trade it in but it is a collectors item these days. ;)
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2009, 09:54:19 PM »
Kevin,

I would disagree with the recommendation to play Galloway National before Baltusrol. I think Galloway is a fine track, but the overall golfing experience is simply better at Balty, particulalry if you can play the Lower and Upper courses in one day. Just my two cents. 

Jeff

Thanks  for your thoughts re: Baltusrol. Despite a few attempts - I have not been able to illicit a response from the club with regard to my itinerary planning. I am already scheduled to see Tillinghast at Bethpage - how does Baltusrol compare re: same  ?

I'm also trying to see a spectrum of US designers (both modern / golden age) - which forms an important premise of my trip. I did not have a Fazio on my list and as such - is Galloway National a good representation of his work in the US ?

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2009, 10:06:36 AM »
Another part of the US trip planning involves buying a GPS before I leave - which product on the market would you recommend for searching out some of the more "difficult" to find golf courses in your experiences ?

Scott Warren

« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2009, 10:19:28 AM »
Out of interest, KP, what is your itinerary?

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #61 on: September 08, 2009, 10:43:46 AM »
Scott

My itinerary is still very much a WIP but I'm getting closer to the end of it as I need to start locking down some internal flights. I've tried to focus on a cross section of "golden age" and "modern" American architects and particularly styles and designers that I haven't seen before (or much of) in Australia and GB&I.

Currently some things are still to be confirmed but it includes names such as the following:

Baldock B
Coore & Crenshaw
Colt H
Doak T
Dunn W
Emmett D
Fazio T
Flynn W
Jones R
Kidd D McLay
Macdonald CB
Mackenzie Dr A
Raynor S
Ross D
Strantz M
Thomas G
Tillinghast AW
Toomey H
Travis W
Whiting S & Watson W
Wilson H

(including co designs and multiples)

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2009, 10:00:33 AM »
I was looking into GPS units this weekend - any thoughts re: Garmin v Tom Tom etc ?

Also - I may have a spare day between Monterey and LAX. Any recommendations on a course between those ?
I presume most would say Rustic Canyon ? or Valley Club of Montecito ?  or ?

Carl Nichols

« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2009, 10:06:10 AM »
Kevin:
I don't think there's a significant difference between Garmin and Tom-Tom w/r/t basic coverage or useability.  Both have some models with more bells and whistles than other models, but from everything I've heard and read, the two systems are pretty equivalent. 

ed_getka

« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2009, 11:00:50 AM »
I was looking into GPS units this weekend - any thoughts re: Garmin v Tom Tom etc ?

Also - I may have a spare day between Monterey and LAX. Any recommendations on a course between those ?
I presume most would say Rustic Canyon ? or Valley Club of Montecito ?  or ?

Kevin,
    I have a Garmin and it is very straightforward to use. Most US rental cars these days have GPS available, so unless you want one for personal use beyond this trip I don't think you need to buy one.
    I'm a Rustic Canyon homer, so I will AGAIN give that my vote. You are seeing so much great classic stuff that I think you need to see what Gil Hanse did at Rustic, or the Bunker Hill group at Wild Horse while you are in the area, or Kelly Blake Moran's courses on the east coast.
     See you soon.

Sean Leary

« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2009, 02:14:35 PM »
Might actually be cheaper to buy one than to rent one for this long of a trip..

Scott Warren

« Reply #66 on: September 13, 2009, 02:36:07 PM »
Agreed Sean, having looked at renting them from car rental companies recently (10GBP a day in Scotland), you'd be better off buying one, and if you don't need it afterwards, sell if for a bit of a loss and you're laughing.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #67 on: September 13, 2009, 02:45:10 PM »
Long Island Lodging: Best place to stay hands down is the "1708 House". I stayed there for 8 or 9 days a few years back. You are missing Friar's Head on Long Island, that will give you your Coore and Crenshaw course and a short ferry ridge from Long Isand is Fisher's Island, that will give you at Seth Raynor.

Missing also from your itinerary is a Mike Strantz course, the best being Tobacco Road in Pinehurst, and if you do that, you could do Pinehurst #2, a premier Donald Ross Course.

If you do Colo, you want to do a Jim Engh course, in Denver is Sanctuary a real mountain course, other options if you can't get on that are 2 publics, Lakota Canyon or Redlands Mesa.

Galloway is perfect for a Fazio Course.

If you get to Atlanta, Peachtree is special and it will give you a McKenzie/Bobby Jones. Forget about Augusta, don't waste your stationery.

Since you have Doak courses in both Tasmania and New Zealand, that should give you all you need. His best here are Pacific Dunes in Oregon and Ballyneal In Nebraska.

On the drive between SF and Pebble, Pasitempo is special, particularly the back nine, that will give you a McKenzie, restored by Doak.

Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2009, 07:52:38 PM »
Guys

Thanks for the advice re: GPS units. I've been looking into Garmin and if I buy a unit here which can be used for domestic purposes - I can download a US map for about A$160. Whilst a sunk cost  - by the time I add up the individual daily hire costings - I'm sure I'd be ahead.

Ed

I hear you load and clear  ;D I require a variety of options as you well know.

Cary

Thanks for the accommodation advice and suggestions. My regions are pretty much locked down now as I'm about to book the internal flights.

I'm planning on seeing a few Doak + Coore & Crenshaw designs and it will be interesting to see how they utilise the land available on different sites. I have seen two of Tom's works "down-under" incl. his collaboration with Mike Clayton but none in NZ.  Those you mentioned are definitely on the itinerary.

I am yet to see a C&C course and am really looking forward to that.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 07:54:09 PM by Kevin Pallier »

Carl Nichols

« Reply #69 on: September 13, 2009, 10:57:00 PM »
Kevin:
Need a 4th anywhere on the East Coast?   ;D

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #70 on: September 14, 2009, 08:18:45 AM »
Carl

Are you offering to be a personal caddy ?  :)

I am appreciating all the advice - with regards to the West Coast - how far is Pasatiempo from SFO ? And Monterey from there ?

ed_getka

« Reply #71 on: September 14, 2009, 08:48:31 AM »
SFO to Pasa is 45 minutes or so depending on time of day. Monterey from Pasa is also about 45 minutes.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #72 on: September 17, 2009, 06:51:32 AM »
An important note to all who those with whom I've been in contact re: the trip. I've been forced to change my contact details.

I will be sending you an IM re: same.

If you have tried to contact me since Monday and have not had a reply that is why and I apologise re: same. My new details have been updated on the GCA member area.

Look forward to seeing you in a little over 3 weeks time.

Cheers
KP
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 07:34:17 AM by Kevin Pallier »

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2009, 10:33:35 AM »
I've pretty much booked all the internal flights - so would now like to focus on organising to meet up with some GCAers (incl. those outside golf) where possible.

I believe I may have the potential to meet up in the evenings in the following regions - if you are interested drop me a line:
- New York city 8th or 9th Oct (I'm staying near Times Square)
- Philadelphia city 16th or 17th Oct
- If anyone will be up in Bandon 24th to 26th Oct I'd love to meet up ?

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #74 on: October 01, 2009, 02:39:30 AM »
How time flies....in a few days time I'll be jumping on a plane to start the sojourn....thanks to all who have assisted me in the preparation of this trip along the way

A quick question re: Bandon. Is there anything else worth seeing or doing whilst in the area ? Is it easy to get around whilst there ? Am tossing up whether to hire a car - or does one just eat, play and sleep golf at the Resort ?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back