News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bart Bradley

Soil at Waterville?
« on: August 09, 2009, 09:25:41 PM »
I just returned from a few magical days in Ireland with my family.  My son and I truly enjoyed the golf at all our stops.  I liked Waterville a good deal, but during our round the ground was significantly less firm than at any of the other courses we visited.  Is that typical?  Is the soil at Waterville anything other than the usual links sand?  Was it just an abnormality?

Thanks for your input.

Bart

Doug Siebert

Re: Soil at Waterville?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 12:35:29 AM »
The first time I played Waterville in '96 it was raining the whole round and I'm told it had rained a lot there in the preceding couple of months.  The course played like a bog and I hated it.  I returned in 2005 and it was a windy but dry day, and all the courses in SW Ireland I played were pretty firm and I was able to enjoy and appreciate Waterville that time.  I don't recall Waterville lacking in any firmness, though it certainly did not play as firm as say Lahinch or Ballybunion.

Given the land features around the course I suspect that it is not true links ground so it is not built on sand, or is at best a sand mixture or sand cap.  I think the Ring of Kerry is supposed to be the rainest place in Ireland, which is a country that does not lack for rain.  Given Waterville's position at the western edge, it is probably one of the wettest places in the Ring of Kerry, which would make anything other than true linksland with a deep sand base difficult to keep fast and firm.
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Jim Tang

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 11:26:51 AM »
Bart -

I was in Ireland from July 4 to the 14th and played Waterville in the middle of my trip.  I found the course to be rather soft, almost like a sponge.   The previous day Waterville had got a lot of rain.  When I played it, the wind was blowing 2 to 3 clubs and the sun was out, so you would think the course would have had ample time to dry out.

I was somewhat disappointed in Waterville, from the turf to the layout.  The closing three holes were pretty cool, although they need to remove the wind/sand barrier they have on 16 and 17.

I too was wondering if the conditions I saw Waterville in were typical for the course or if the course normally plays much firmer.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 05:07:14 PM »
Jim:

Thanks for your comments...I agree these green fences are a real eyesore....couldn't something else be used that wouldn't pull your eye away from the architecture?

16th green:

17th green:

Somebody more familiar with the details, please fill me in on the choice to have these fences!

Bart

Shane Wright

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 05:32:27 PM »
Bart - thanks for including the pictures...I was trying to remember what they looked like. 

I think Doug summed it up nicely. 

Waterville does get a lot of rain and sits quite a bit lower than the other classic Ireland links courses so I think it will always struggle to run as hard and fast as say a Portrush......

It doesn't get a lot of love on this site, but will always be one of my favorites.   

Bart Bradley

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 06:56:05 AM »
Bart - thanks for including the pictures...I was trying to remember what they looked like. 

I think Doug summed it up nicely. 

Waterville does get a lot of rain and sits quite a bit lower than the other classic Ireland links courses so I think it will always struggle to run as hard and fast as say a Portrush......

It doesn't get a lot of love on this site, but will always be one of my favorites.   

Shane,

You are welcome....but why are these fences there?  and couldn't something else be used?

Bart

Scott Furlong

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 07:17:27 AM »
Just got back from the Ring of Kerry tour and a caddy told me it is there to stop sand from blowing onto the course.  They get a ton of rain and wind.  The day we played the winds were blowing 40 mph.   

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 07:38:22 AM »
I recall reading an article (Golf World Ireland) about 20 years ago about either Waterville or Connemara (I'm not certain). During the construction of the course, it described where they brought in tonnes of top soil for the fairways. I think it was Waterville, but maybe someone could confirm this.

Dónal.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 11:10:58 AM »
I never understood why Waterville is so highly respected as a links course.  I have posted a number of times that the course does not play like a links course because it is so soft.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back