News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JSPayne

Royal County Down (photos) - I'm speechless......
« on: July 24, 2009, 08:41:40 PM »
Well, I took a backpacking trip around Europe with my wife back in May/April, and this was the only golf I could squeeze in (unfortunately). But you can tell from my delay in posting that I just haven't been able to come home and find the right words to put into perspective how amazingly great of a time I had for the short 3 1/2 hours it took for us to fly around that golfing paradise.

To this day, I truly am left speechless, so I will only make a few comments then let the pictures do the rest of the talking:

- I tell everyone who asks me how it was that "it's the Pebble Beach of Northern Ireland......without the hoop-la"
- I only use that line to describe the clout and breath-taking beauty of the place, as most who ask me aren't interested or remotely understand the vast differences in the architecture and conditioning
- The only way to tell the greens from the rest of the grass was that they had applied iron to make them slightly darker green
- The greens were slower than 75% of the greens I've played here in the US, but truer than true and I wouldn't want them any faster
- I mentioned playing in 3 1/2 hours.......walking.....with a caddy, another man and his son, and both our wives in tow.......and my caddy was irritated the other two spent so much time looking for their balls in the gorse
- Gorse is horrible......but beautiful when viewed as part of the landscape as a whole
- The entire two weeks leading up to my tee time the forecast called for rain......black clouds loomed just off the course for the whole round, but we had perfect conditions......partial sun, moderate temps, with a light breeze......and the rain clouds opened up as we sat down for lunch in the clubhouse......I may have to start believing in a golf god because that day was made for me
- I'm a 9 handicap and I shot an 85 (with an 8 on a par 3).....I was thrilled.......much better than the 101 I shot a Pebble several years ago......I left with my head held high.

Sorry I didn't get a hole by hole, but my wife took most the pics so I could concentrate on enjoying my possibly-once-in-a-lifetime round:

I could have putted here for hours.......unfortunately I only got 5 minutes because I was still learning how to drive on the left side of the road and had a hard time finding the place

They had received over an inch of rain in the last 24 hours and the bunkers hadn't even been raked......look at that drainage! Sorry.....that's the superintendent in me being jealous......

I only landed in one bunker that day......luckily this wasn't it

The tee shot on my disasterous par 3.......can you say gorse? (The green is out the left side of the picture)

Now looking for my tee shot which ended up lost in the gorse.....dropping 2, hitting three.....you can see the edge of the green in the middle left

Hitting four........back across and off the OTHER side of the green......5 on and 3 putts gets me off to the next hole......I find it funny my wife took the most pictures of THIS particular hole

My favorite shot........

I absolutely LOVE when I can putt from 15 yards off the green.......hard to find on courses I play here in the US

Gotta give credit to the photographer for the day...........

Hole #9, most photographed hole, for obvious reasons......long hole too though, but I made par ;)

Another bunker I managed to avoid........WHY again do we have such high standards for bunker maintenance here in the states? I love this look......

Putting from just off the green.......again

The modest but picturesque clubhouse

Heaven on earth (hopefully you can click on this picture to open up the bigger version if you want more detail)

"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing it's best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle any human being can fight; and never stop fighting." -E.E. Cummings

Joe Hancock

Re: Royal County Down (photos) - I'm speechless......
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 09:07:55 PM »
JSPayne,

Thanks for the pics of that place. Much appreciated!

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 09:50:31 PM »
Definitely on my bucket list.  And I'm half-Irish to boot ;)

Just got my passport renewed - all I need is the economy to improve a bit.

PS - I had a half hour earlier this month with a great guy from the R&A that was visiting our club doing golf ball testing.  I sheepishly asked him when The Open would be played at RCD.  He just chuckled   8)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 09:54:32 PM by Dan Herrmann »

Bill Brightly

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 10:30:55 PM »
JS

Thanks so much for posting the pics and sharing your comments! I just extended my September Ireland trip so I could play RCD (solo) and I am am glad I did!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 10:50:03 PM by Bill Brightly »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 10:40:59 PM »
JSPayne,

Wonderful pics.

RCD is in my Top 2 courses on my bucket list, as well.

JSPayne

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 11:35:51 PM »
Thanks guys......I'd definetely love to get back again.....am thinking I might have to do a "boys only" Scotland and Ireland jaunt next time.....

Dan......I don't know what flights look like recently, but when we bought a few months in advance of our trip, roundtrip to Dublin out of SF, CA were cheaper than flights to Hawaii.......I know I was shocked. Can't imagine it being much more than a few hundred bucks from the East Coast if you time it right.
"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing it's best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle any human being can fight; and never stop fighting." -E.E. Cummings

Jamie Barber

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 05:22:50 AM »
Thanks for the photos, I've only played RCD once in 2007. But it's my favourite course of those I've played by far. The front 9 is just fabulous.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 05:41:36 AM »

A Prince among golf courses.

Melvyn

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 07:34:52 AM »
I see these picture threads from Ireland, and I really believe that Bandon can wait. There are too many to play overseas. Thanks for posting.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 06:43:42 PM »
Maybe the best front nine in the world?

Ash Towe

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 11:50:26 PM »
JS Payne and wife-
Thanks for the photos.  RCD is the top of my none US Bucket list.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 12:57:26 AM »
Mr. and Mrs. picture, the joy bursts from the photograph, I imagine it will be on your desk at work.  Well done.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 12:58:59 AM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Dan Moore

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2009, 05:38:40 AM »
County Down is one of the great courses  in the world of golf where the soul of the game is undeniable.

The terrain was blessed by the contributions of Old Tom and Harry Colt. 

Hallelujah. 
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

James Boon

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2009, 05:53:52 AM »
Thanks to you and your wife for some great photos! I've only managed to play the course once, but its certainly one of my favourites. I've never had such a bad round but still come off the course smiling!

My wife often takes all the photos when we go anywhere, so all I need to do now is follow your example, convince her to join me on the course, and get her to take the pictures so I can enjoy the golf...

Have to ask a question of the few guys who have mentioned this, but whats a bucket list???

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Bill Brightly

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2009, 06:11:11 AM »

Have to ask a question of the few guys who have mentioned this, but whats a bucket list???

Cheers,

James
[/quote]

A list of things you want to do before you die. Phrase made famous by the 2007 movie "The Bucket List" with Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman.

James Boon

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2009, 06:37:52 AM »
Thanks Bill,

Just looked up the film, where it says its a list of things to do before you kick the bucket.

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Johnny_Browne

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2009, 03:58:08 PM »
JS
I am glad you enjoyed RCD - it is a very special place - that looks like a good friend of mine Roger caddying for you - he is a great caddie and a lovely guy and another golf nutcase.
Johnny Browne

JSPayne

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2009, 04:16:37 PM »
That is indeed Roger, Johnny, and I concur on him being an excellent gentleman and lover of the game. Two of his comments during the round made my day:

"I just don't understand why they insist on finding their ball. Just drop one and move on with it." (regarding the father and son I was playing with who must have lost half a dozen each deep into the gorse and accounted for the only irritability Roger had in not being able to make it around in less than 3:30)

"You wouldn't believe the people that I see playing out here sometimes, so struggling with their game I don't know how they even enjoy the course. Luckily, you're not too bad." (probably the best and most meaningful compliment regarding my golf game I've gotten in quite some time)

Regarding a comment I saw earlier on this thread too, Roger enlightened me as to why they never would hold a major Tour event here (beyond the Walker Cup they recently hosted).......no room for grandstands or galleries. All the better....I like it being a secluded gem, unbeknownst to the majority of the golfing public.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2009, 04:37:35 PM »
JSPayne:

Great pics -- hats off to your intrepid photographer !

Curious to hear your comments on the nature of the outer half versus the inner half of holes at RCD.

There is, for a number of people who opine, a noticeable dropoff in overall design quality and demand.

How do you see the situation now after having played there?

thanks ...

David_Tepper

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2009, 04:45:13 PM »
Kyle K. -

The front-9 at RCD is certainly a contender for the best in the world. The front-9 at Royal Aberdeen is on the short list as well.

DT 

Jason Walker

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2009, 05:59:03 PM »
Matt-
I was there on Tuesday after the British Open this past week....but JSPayne definitely won the weather draw!  We had four distinct weather systems move in, a steady 25-30 mph breeze, and about 20 degrees of temperature variation.  Even our caddies were peeling off and putting on layers every 30 mins....was just crazy!  We teed off approximately 3:00PM but the course was actually closed for a bit that morning due to excessive rain--although you would have never know it with the conditions...played as firm and fast as anything else we saw over the previous week!

To your question about the back nine--while certainly it doesn't receive the accolades the front nine does, I think, from a strategic perspecive, the progression of holes 10-18 is as strong as any.  My favorites were 13, 15, and 16, with 17 and 18 into a 25mph wind being absolute beasts where anything can happen--as excellent a match play back nine as any I can think of.  In fact, that was all our group talked about at dinner that night.  As far as drop in design quality, I just don't really see it.....but if comparing to some of the standout holes on the front nine, there is nothing that rivals number 4 or number 9.

It's a truly spectacular place--it vaulted into my top three as a result of the day.

And had to add a caddy picture...the father/son duo of Michael and Mick...two of the very best I've ever had and they made for an absolutely wonderful day despite the crazy weather, even if they are Boston sports fans.  Yours truly in the grey sweater...

« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 06:00:44 PM by Jason Walker »

Duncan Betts

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2009, 11:59:24 PM »
I was in the UK a few years back on a cricket tour, and at the insistence of a friend I went over to Ireland to play Royal Portrush and found it to be a wonderful experience.  He then convinced me to stay an extra few days so we made our way over to Royal County Down, an no offence to Portrush - but WOW.

Absolutely no question, my favourite course hands down.  However unfortunately for me, I've never set foot on Scottish soil  :'(

Anthony Gray

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2009, 03:29:33 PM »

JS,

Thanks for sharing the photos. I took a wife there also. Divorced her after the trip. What other courses did you play?

Anthony

JSPayne

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2009, 05:07:51 PM »
Unfortunately this is the only golf I got in on that trip Anthony. Sorry to hear about your divorce, but I don't think I can let go of this one......just look at the kind of pictures she takes!  ;D

Anthony Gray

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2009, 05:14:28 PM »
Unfortunately this is the only golf I got in on that trip Anthony. Sorry to hear about your divorce, but I don't think I can let go of this one......just look at the kind of pictures she takes!  ;D

Thanks JS...........I love the little town. I walked over to the course the day before I played and visited with the starter. He pointed to a house acroos the way and told me it was where he grew up. Then he told me to take a wee walk. So I toured the front 9. I sat on the hill overlooking the 9th fairway and spotted tee balls for the players for about two hours. It was one of the most peaceful places on earth. Can't wait to get back.

Thanks for the pics,

Anthony

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back