News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ken McGlynn

OK, probably totally unrealistic, but how cool would it be for Tom Watson to march to that first tee at Turnberry tomorrow and see none other Jack Nicklaus there to root him on? I'm pretty sure even the R&A might let him walk with the group inside the ropes. Obviously Tom is riding a wave of emotion and having the greatest major champion ever to support him is sure to put him over the top. The rest of the field would just get out of his way.

Heck, while we're at it, let's just put the big fella on Tom's bag! Dress them both up in their garb from '77...I'm sure Ian Poulter has both outfits in his closet...and just turn back the clock. The Ailsa Course would be rocking.

Go Tom...go Stanford Indians!!!

Anthony Gray

Re: Jack...jump on the G5...and be on that 1st tee tomorrow for Tom!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 04:54:47 PM »

It would be nice to see. Do the older guys embrace the spirit of the game more?

Anthony

RJ_Daley

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 05:34:12 PM »
Honestly, though I can't imagine what TW thinks of that notion in terms of extra pressure to win, it would be very high theater if TW does win, and Jack appeared in the wings off 18 to go offer his congratulations, ala '77.  But, he'd have to hide out in the clubhouse or something, and not be right there on the course due to the enormous distraction, IMHO.  What the enthusiastic fans, full of the anticipation of a possible miracle victory MUST DO, is not be a distraction with hoots and yelps and such.... until the end of course.  ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 08:24:05 PM »
I feel secure in saying that Jack Nicklaus would never do that.  He would not want to jinx Watson, nor steal any of the limelight away from him should he manage to win.  I'm equally sure that he will call him on Sunday night or Monday regardless of the outcome.

PThomas

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 08:25:29 PM »
they said Jack will be calling in during the telecast tomorrow to talk
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

John_Conley

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 08:38:23 PM »
Nicklaus was in the booth when Daly won.  He questioned every tee shot, as Daly kept firing drivers left, ignoring the possibility of trouble at St. Andrew's.  It would be nice to have Jack in the booth on this one.  Methinks he holds an awful lot of respect for Watson.

TW faded from dominance, but his prime equalled or surpassed Palmer's.  He had an amazing run.  I can't believe there's a good chance he'll win the Open about 30 years from his hey day.  Incredible.  And it will be fun to watch.

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 08:41:11 PM »
I think Jack would be a huge distraction for Tom and put him off his game.
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 10:18:27 PM »
I feel secure in saying that Jack Nicklaus would never do that.  He would not want to jinx Watson, nor steal any of the limelight away from him should he manage to win.  I'm equally sure that he will call him on Sunday night or Monday regardless of the outcome.

Thanks, Tom - for the insight, and for confirming my high regard of JN, the gracious sportsman and gentleman. ("I gave it my best shot, Tom. You got me" - 1977). That's exactly what I HOPED someone who knew him would say. I'm still a kid with idols when it comes to Jack...

Peter

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back