News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

I do not think I have ever played a course with more deer leg lefts than this. Some nearly impossible for the left to right player.

I am going to ask Kalen to google map it. I cannot wait to see what it looks like from above. Played with Eric Smith and enjoyed a cart with Matt Varney today...A great time.

What are other courses that favor the drawer/fader?

Anthony

« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 04:53:13 PM by Anthony Gray »

Andy Troeger

http://www.deercreekgolf.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=9&Itemid=16

Minor point but I'm pretty sure the course is in Crossville, TN.

There do appear to be a lot of dogleg lefts from the website photo. Not a bad course all things considered though from one play way back when.

Kalen Braley

Anthony,

Sorry for the delay, I just now opened this thread.   :'(

Anyways, here is the aerial.  Indian Canyon in Spokane, WA is also a drawer's delight as most holes turn right to left as well.

Garland Bayley

Indian Canyon favors me! I'm headed there right after Wine Valley!

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Eric Smith

This has to be the first time in the history of the internet that Deer Creek has been discussed online.  Nice, short little course with lots of trees in the fairway.  Mr. Havercamp would approve.

Thanks for the screen shot KB, I have never seen it before in an aerial.

I'm thrilled to have the opportunity to help sponsor an annual charity event there and this year was the best with the gca friends integration.  

Thanks guys for playing.  I need to check to see if we were in the money...

Trey Stiles

My home club ( Kingwood CC ) has one course ( Marsh course ) where all 4 Par 5's are sharp doglegs left .

To make matters worse , 3 of the 4 take driver out of my hands because driver goes thru the fairway and into the woods.

I guess there is an argument to be made that the holes ask the question " Do you have the big , high , hook ? If so you can be rewarded , If not , hit the fairway wood or suffer the penalty "

To me it's just boring .... On 3 of the 4 par fives , I'm playing defense from the tee.

To make matters worse , about 3-4 Par 4's suffer from the same design and no holes call for a fade off the tee .... The net result is that I hit driver about 4 times a round and 10 holes require 3 wood or utility club.

The other net result is that I just play one of our other courses

Eric Smith

My home club ( Kingwood CC ) has one course ( Marsh course ) where all 4 Par 5's are sharp doglegs left .

To make matters worse , 3 of the 4 take driver out of my hands because driver goes thru the fairway and into the woods.

I guess there is an argument to be made that the holes ask the question " Do you have the big , high , hook ? If so you can be rewarded , If not , hit the fairway wood or suffer the penalty "

To me it's just boring .... On 3 of the 4 par fives , I'm playing defense from the tee.

To make matters worse , about 3-4 Par 4's suffer from the same design and no holes call for a fade off the tee .... The net result is that I hit driver about 4 times a round and 10 holes require 3 wood or utility club.

The other net result is that I just play one of our other courses

And that is why I don't play at DC (except in the annual event).  Trying to hit high three woods over the trees of a 90 degree dog leg multiple times in a round just ain't my thing.  For the record, the local retiree market loves the golf course and by all accounts it is a successful operation.

Anthony Gray

Eric and the super at Deer Creek are high school buddys and used to chase chicks together back in the day. The course only has two holes that go to the right and they were two of the last three we played. It felt like we we going around in a circle and my slice did not like it.

Anthony

Trey Stiles

I checked the Deer Creek website , looks like Robert Renauld did the routing .... I think he did the routing @ Hillwood CC in Nashville ... I worked there in the late 70's ... He had the big high hook thing going on there also @ # 4 , # 10 , # 11 , # 15 ( hole numbers could be off , it's been 30 yrs )

Mike Hendren

I checked the Deer Creek website , looks like Robert Renauld did the routing .... I think he did the routing @ Hillwood CC in Nashville ... I worked there in the late 70's ... He had the big high hook thing going on there also @ # 4 , # 10 , # 11 , # 15 ( hole numbers could be off , it's been 30 yrs )

Trey, I was under the impression that E. E. "Bubber" Johnson, the former professional at Belle Meade and first professional at Disneyworld routed Hillwood in the 1950's.  Bruce Hepner's work a few years back on the bunkering and green surrounds has been well received, though I must admit I haven't seen it.  Also, I believe they've reversed the nines since you were a Nashvegan.

Bogey
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 11:26:50 AM by Michael_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Trey Stiles

Michael ,

I was going from memory , now I remember " Bubber " ( what a name ) , but I thought " Renauld " was in on it somewhere .... but I've slept since then.

Your right again , I had forgotten that they reversed the nines.

Hillwood was a wonderful place back in the 70's , I was treated very well by 99% of the membership , and have many fond memories of specific members who went out of their way to make a young pro feel very welcome.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back