News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Huckaby

Re: How do you play the game?
« Reply #100 on: July 14, 2009, 12:51:10 PM »
Interesting commandments.  See my take on each.

Tom

Ten simple ways to keep the faith and your game honest ;)

The Ten Commandments of Golf
1.   You shall have no other Game but the True One - break it all the time, as you define said True One

2.   You shall not make for yourself any alternative game of golf - oh my, break all the time

3.   You shall not misuse the name of Golf i.e. not cartgolf etc. - break regularly

4.   You shall remember the Rules – no resting on carts - break regularly

5.   Respect your father and mother and Old Tom  - keep that one quite well

6.   You must not kill unless they use a cart or artificial distance aid  - ditto

7.   You must not commit adultery with another golfers wife - good for now

8.   You must not cheat, use outside aids or non Hickory shafted clubs - dammit, was good until the last part

9.   Your score should be true and achieved by your own abilities - good on this one

10. You must not be envious of those who can play the game unaided - VERY good on this one.  No envy have I.  Hopefully it works both ways. ;D

Melvyn

« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 12:56:47 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #101 on: July 14, 2009, 12:52:51 PM »
Tom,

I agree with what your saying, and folks do it all the time.  For me I guess I'm just wired a little differently as it pertains to poor shots, or shall I say shots that don't find the fairway or green.  To me thats part of the penality of not finding the short stuff, in a way you're getting the punishment associated with the crime.  So I'll always play those cause it just seems right in my mind, and sometimes the lies can be so bad its a fun challenge on some level to see how well you can recover.

P.S. For the record if I was playing for money, or playing a competitive round, I would certainly play by the rules as they exist concerning balls in divots.  But otherwise if I hit one in the fairway, which on average I only do 25-30% of the time anyways, then damn it, I at least don't want to have to contend with a messed up divot.  ;)

Kalen - totally understood.  I get ya, truly I do.  I just wanted to differentiate my point here from that line of thinking, that's all.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #102 on: July 14, 2009, 12:57:27 PM »
1) Do you prefer walking or riding? walking
2) Do you use a rangefinder/GPS device to judge distance? yes
3) Do you always play the ball as it lies? yes
4) At one point is a putt "good?" when it's conceded by the skin leader
5) Do you keep a handicap? yes
6) Do you generally wager? yes, but Mortimer Duke-style stuff - $0.50 skins just to keep it interesting  
7) Under what weather circumstances will you not play? will stay in bed if it is raining - why get up at 5:00 to get wet?
8] Do you take lessons? yes
9) Do you generally hit practice balls on the driving range before a round? On dewsweeper rounds, no.  Otherwise, yes
10) Do you use a line on a golf ball to align your putt? No
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #103 on: July 14, 2009, 01:02:33 PM »
Ok Kevin, you are a fine example and I know you will take this the right way.

Regarding #3....

ALWAYS?

You've NEVER played winter rules, or in a scramble?

I just can't imagine anyone can really answer yes to that question.  Not anyone who's played a lot of golf, anyway.  And that is my point above.

Richard Choi

« Reply #104 on: July 14, 2009, 01:08:02 PM »
Tom, I will back you up.

I have improved my lie plenty of times and I am not ashamed of it. Here in northwest, it gets pretty wet and balls get plugged or pickup enough mud to cover most of the ball. You may say that "winter rules" allow you to take relief, but I doubt that folks like Melvyn will view "winter rules" very favorably.

I will also not play as it lies if hitting the ball means it will damage my clubs or my arms.

I am happy to play "plays as it lies" if I am playing serious, but not every round needs to be so serious in my opinion.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #105 on: July 14, 2009, 01:13:20 PM »
Richard:

Thanks.  I do not expect Melvyn to get this, but then again I know where he lives and what his golf experience is (for the most part).  As much as I love him - and love him I do - he just remains clueless about golf in America.. and I think happily so.

So my queries are more for Americans.  I can't see how any could answer this yes... mainly because it's an absolute, but also for the reasons you state, which make perfect sense.  Heck I doubt most Scots can achieve the PERFECTION required to answer this yes, but given their links courses and preponderance of match play, they at least have a fighting chance.

TH

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #106 on: July 14, 2009, 01:14:17 PM »
GCA brethren,

In light of some recent discussions on how one plays the game, I thought it would be interesting to conduct a brief survey of GCA member's playing preferences.  

1) Do you prefer walking or riding?  Walking... ride only when needed.
2) Do you use a rangefinder/GPS device to judge distance?  I don't, but would like to.
3) Do you always play the ball as it lies?  Yes
4) At one point is a putt "good?"  Match play: anytime.  
5) Do you keep a handicap?  Yes
6) Do you generally wager?  yes.  $2 nassau
7) Under what weather circumstances will you not play?  Snow.  Lightning
8) Do you take lessons? I should
9) Do you generally hit practice balls on the driving range before a round? i like to hit 12-15 to warm up
10) Do you use a line on a golf ball to align your putt? no, but i like to place the ball's logo at the back of the ball so i can focus on that spot so i don't look up too early

Sean_A

« Reply #107 on: July 14, 2009, 01:23:26 PM »
I have a question for those who answered "yes" to question 3:

You ALWAYS play it as it lies?  You have NEVER bumped the ball, or moved it from a divot, or cleaned some mud off it or anything EVER?  Not in casual play?  Never played what we here in the US anyway call "winter rules"?  NEVER, NOT EVEN ONCE?

I'd say I admire you, but I'd also say you are way too anal.  But I'll give you all a chance to correct that before I do so.

;D

Huckabilly

I knew couldn't answer #3 in the affirmative.  Heck, when I play Pennard in the summer I shift the ball about.  Its a 5 hour hour round trip - I am not about to play from horse hoof prints or god knows what.  In the winter I will often push a ball to the wings just to save the fairway a bit.  There are courses over here with winter mats.  Then there is winter rules.  Its endless really.  It doesn't really matter if the rules cover these incidents or not.  The question was rather more a yes or no deal.  

Ciao  
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #108 on: July 14, 2009, 01:26:23 PM »
Ok Kevin, you are a fine example and I know you will take this the right way.

Regarding #3....

ALWAYS?

You've NEVER played winter rules, or in a scramble?

I just can't imagine anyone can really answer yes to that question.  Not anyone who's played a lot of golf, anyway.  And that is my point above.

Scrambles aren't Golf, my boy.  And no, don't play winter rules since we always have a few $$'s on the line.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #109 on: July 14, 2009, 01:36:05 PM »

Father, Grandfather, Young Tom, Old Tom and the rest of the Tartan Golf Mafia 8) 8) 8)

Please forgive Richards and that arch sinner Tom (yes, that’s the one who sits on the fence ready to jump either way) for they know not what they say let alone do when it comes to all things golf. :o

Please do not bring down the Thunder and Lightening upon these desperate individuals who are lost to the true ways of golf. Be kind and show them the errors of their ways. They just do not understand that they are going directly hell on earth (the Castle Course St Andrews at £500 per round) ;D ;D

Are we not all sinners on GCA.com. perhaps with the exception of the Mazda MX-5 Driver who has already lost his way (crap Sat Navs. on MX5) and is totally lost to all but Garland. :'(

They will, in the end turn the other cheek ;)

Melvyn     

David Stewart

« Reply #110 on: July 14, 2009, 02:24:42 PM »
GCA brethren,

In light of some recent discussions on how one plays the game, I thought it would be interesting to conduct a brief survey of GCA member's playing preferences.  

1) Do you prefer walking or riding?  Walking
2) Do you use a rangefinder/GPS device to judge distance? No
3) Do you always play the ball as it lies? Yes
4) At one point is a putt "good?" If opponent concedes it in match play or < 1 foot in stroke
5) Do you keep a handicap? Yes
6) Do you generally wager? No
7) Under what weather circumstances will you not play? Downpour, below freezing...that's about it
8) Do you take lessons? No
9) Do you generally hit practice balls on the driving range before a round? Not when playing by myself, but before a scheduled round with friends
10) Do you use a line on a golf ball to align your putt? The one that Titleist provides me

JC Jones

« Reply #111 on: July 14, 2009, 02:27:33 PM »
Asking someone whether they always play the ball down, and being aghast when they say "no" is equivalent to asking Michael Jordan whether he always plays Basketball on a regulation court and being aghast when he admits to playing 3-on-3 with friends in the driveway.

There is a time and place for Golf, but there is also a time and place for golf. 

I thought Golf was dead ???
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

JC Jones

« Reply #112 on: July 14, 2009, 02:29:57 PM »
Melvyn,

With respect to the 4th commandment, the rules as promulgated by whom?
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #113 on: July 14, 2009, 03:21:23 PM »
Melvyn:  I sit on no fences and shift no sides... what I do is follow logic, and have good sense.  You should try each some time.. they make for a happy life.
 ;D

Kevin:  so you can't answer yes.  That's all I meant.  The question is pretty silly if the word "always" is used.

Interestingly Schmidt and Arble get it.  Thanks guys.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #114 on: July 14, 2009, 03:31:51 PM »
1) Do you prefer walking or riding?

In my former life I was a dogmatic, insufferable walker who sniffed contemptuously at any lazy hog who dared inflict a motorized prosthesis on my delicate sensibilities. Now, six spinal rehabs later, if there is a cart, I throw on my bag and walk.

2) Do you use a rangefinder/GPS device to judge distance?

The mere question pisses me off.  

3) Do you always play the ball as it lies?

Unless forced in a rare tournament with winter rules, always always always.

4) At one point is a putt "good?"

Roughly inside the leather, but I am not too much of a scorecard and pencil player anymore.

5) Do you keep a handicap?

I post scores bi-annually . . . . I've not been religious about it in more than ten years.

6) Do you generally wager?

Only against people I don't like much. Otherwise, a beer naussau with automatic tequila shot presses works.

7) Under what weather circumstances will you not play?

I'll play in the rain, but I won't start in it . . . . . unless I'm at NGLA.

8.) Do you take lessons?

I'm singularly unteachable. Unless I find a guru who can cure the yips, I'd rather spend my money on something more productive.

9) Do you generally hit practice balls on the driving range before a round?

Only if I am someplace special like Bandon.

10) Do you use a line on a golf ball to align your putt?

What the f*ck is the difference? I couldn't roll in a putt if there was a trench cut all the way to the hole. My alignment is so bad I'm better off closing my eyes over the ball and thinking about Nicole Kidman than trying to use a line to fix my yips.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 03:36:31 PM by Gib Papazian »

George Pazin

« Reply #115 on: July 14, 2009, 03:36:19 PM »
I have a question for those who answered "yes" to question 3:

You ALWAYS play it as it lies?  You have NEVER bumped the ball, or moved it from a divot, or cleaned some mud off it or anything EVER?  Not in casual play?  Never played what we here in the US anyway call "winter rules"?  NEVER, NOT EVEN ONCE?

I'd say I admire you, but I'd also say you are way too anal.  But I'll give you all a chance to correct that before I do so.

;D

What do I have to gain by improving my lie?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #116 on: July 14, 2009, 03:39:07 PM »
George:
Nothing, of course.

But can you really answer that question with a "yes"?
You have NEVER done so?  Never played in a scramble or under winter rules?  Absolutely never?

That's my sole and only point.  The wording of the question is silly.  Gib answered as most could or should... as did Schmidt and Arble and a few others... I find it odd anyone could really answer this with a simple yes, with a straight face anyway.

TH

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #117 on: July 14, 2009, 03:46:32 PM »
"I couldn't roll in a putt if there was a trench cut all the way to the hole."

That exact trick worked very well for Bugs Bunny in one of his best movies, My Bunny Lies Over the Sea -- in fact, I think it led to a hole in one, and made his furious opponent McCrory challenge him to a duel on the bagpipes instead. Funniest bit is when Bugs first pops out of the ground and learns that he's in Scotland instead of at the LaBrea Tar Pits: "Scotland?! I knew I should've taken that left turn at Albuquerque!"

They're remaking the movie now as a live action, with Justin Timberlake as Bugs and, well, you know who as McCrory....

Peter

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #118 on: July 14, 2009, 03:53:51 PM »
Peter:  excellent.  I know that BB episode well.. in fact my kids long ago tired of my faux-Scottish brogue shouting "a houlll in one!" every time anything goes into any hole, imitating the great McCrory.

It's just this - I don't see our friend as McCrory - too stereotypical.  I see him much more as Ian McCallister.

;D ;D

BTW.. you also may be pleased to note a frequent haunt of ours, in Campbell, CA (adjacent to San Jose).  I have to support any restaurant with such a fine sense of humor.

http://www.leftatalb.com/

JMEvensky

« Reply #119 on: July 14, 2009, 04:00:07 PM »

8.) Do you take lessons?

I'm singularly unteachable. Unless I find a guru who can cure the yips, I'd rather spend my money on something more productive.

We must be twins separated at birth.

Jim Carrigan

« Reply #120 on: July 14, 2009, 04:13:20 PM »
1) Do you prefer walking or riding? Walking
2) Do you use a rangefinder/GPS device to judge distance? No
3) Do you always play the ball as it lies? Yes, absolutely, definitively 100% of the time.  I have never, ever improved my lie once in my entire life, not even in a scramble or tournament with LC&P in effect.    ;)
4) At one point is a putt "good?" depends on the game / situation
5) Do you keep a handicap? Yes
6) Do you generally wager? Yes
7) Under what weather circumstances will you not play? Lightning or below 35*
8] Do you take lessons? Yes
9) Do you generally hit practice balls on the driving range before a round? I try to if time permits.
10) Do you use a line on a golf ball to align your putt? No

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #121 on: July 14, 2009, 04:15:06 PM »
Jim - you are the MAN!  Best answer yet to #3.  And I want to party with you cowboy.  You and me?  Forget it....

;D

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #122 on: July 14, 2009, 04:22:01 PM »
Jim,

Welcome to the board (insert standard Sr. GCA members welcome of your choice here). I look forward to another game soon, and will let you now when I'm in town next.

Cheers

Kalen Braley

« Reply #123 on: July 14, 2009, 04:23:34 PM »
Jim - you are the MAN!  Best answer yet to #3.  And I want to party with you cowboy.  You and me?  Forget it....

;D

Tom,

You are gullible, its his 1st post for Christ's sake.  I'm calling BS until he proves otherwise that he's a trustworthy guy!!   ;D

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #124 on: July 14, 2009, 04:25:30 PM »

;D

Tom,

You are gullible, its his 1st post for Christ's sake.  I'm calling BS until he proves otherwise that he's a trustworthy guy!!   ;D

Kalen - you disappoint me young Paduan.

What part of my post indicated that I believe him?  What part of his post indicates he wants that to be taken seriously?
THAT is what makes his post so freakin' great!

;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back