News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Bausch

That's the title of the article that is old news to some around here, but it is worth posting, IMO.  And better yet, I'm playing it Friday w/ Mayday and will report back with before and after photos!  Here's the link to the Golf Course Industry article with the full text below:

http://www.golfcourseindustry.com/news/news.asp?ID=5327

Returning to its roots in classic American golf course design, Rolling Green Golf Club has completed a meticulous restoration to a William Flynn routing that has stood virtually unchanged for 83 years.

Strategically retraced through the guidance of historical photos and some successful on-site investigation, the demanding Rolling Green layout again properly represents the integrity of the original course that opened 1926.

“Our goal was to turn back the clock,” said Peter Voudouris, president of the Board of Directors at Rolling Green Golf Club, Springfield, Pa., site of the 1976 U.S. Women’s Open and ranked among Golfweek magazine’s Best Classic Courses. “The membership was totally committed to have the original golf course put back in place.”

The course has been updated thoroughly, from its new irrigation and drainage systems to innovative construction practices. The strategic relocation of hazards matches contemporary golf equipment, regaining Flynn’s intended challenges while exuding his elegant simplicity.

“We could not be more pleased with the result,” Voudouris said. “We are proud to play a part in the preservation of this very special golf course and the heritage of the game that it represents.”

The project, which began late last summer, was directed by Forse Design Inc., a golf course architectural firm of Hopwood, Penn., that is renowned for its work in preserving and restoring classic golf courses throughout the United States and Canada. Focused on recreating the original character of the green surrounds and bunkering, Forse Design also was diligent in adhering to Flynn’s concept for Rolling Green when positioning new bunkers.  None of the 18 greens was affected, leaving them in Flynn’s original form. (Since 1926, the lone alteration to the routing was made on the 15th hole, which Flynn modified in the mid-1930s.)

“This is an incredible course to have the good fortune to work on,” said Jim Nagle, the Rolling Green project leader for Forse Design. “We followed the footsteps of a great designer.”

Situated on 157 rugged, hilly acres, Rolling Green Golf Club is a private facility located about 10 miles west of Philadelphia, founded by a group primarily comprised of Quakers. Flynn, an icon of early American golf course architecture, began work on Rolling Green in 1925. A year later, with the aid of Howard Toomey, the result was par 71 that now stretches to 6,602 yards, “and plays a lot longer than what appears on the scorecard,” Nagle notes.

Addressing the issue of modern equipment, a set of tees was created for a layout that plays to 6,917 yards. These new Black tees also differ in that they play to a par of 70, with No. 18 set-up as a 491-yard par 4, rather than a 529-yard par 5.

Rolling Green features a variety of challenges, from inviting par 4s (three measuring less than 400 yards) to cantankerous par 3s (requiring anything from an 8-iron to a driver). Flynn, who was known to enjoy serious athletic competition, featured several holes that were outrageously long for their generation – and remain a serious test for the modern game, as well. The front nine finishes with a par-5 that plays 615 yards from the back tees, all uphill. And then the back side opens with a par 3 that plays 258 yards, also uphill – “the best short, par 4 in Philadelphia,” Nagle jokes.
Tuesday, July 7, 2009
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 02:42:16 PM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Rory Connaughton

Re: Rolling Green Golf Club Completes Restoration Project
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 08:00:23 AM »
Thanks for posting Joe.  RG was fantastic to begin with.  Ron and Jim had an awful lot to work with.  Can't wait to see the results.
Mike congratulations.  I will say that Jim is wrong about 10.  Its the best short par 5 in the area!

mike_malone

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 09:20:10 AM »
  Restoration complete?
AKA Mayday

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 09:34:00 AM »
Rory - amen..

#9 and #10 back-to-back are b*llbusters!

mike_malone

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 09:39:48 AM »
 Dan,

Thankfully #8 is a piece of cake.
AKA Mayday

mike_malone

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 10:02:00 AM »
 "Forse Design also was diligent in adhering to Flynn’s concept for Rolling Green when positioning new bunkers." ????

"...regaining Flynn’s intended challenges while exuding his elegant simplicity."

Flynn's "simplicity" is evident in the paucity of fairway bunkering  that he intended at Rolling Green. He chose to use the land, the trees, and the creeks first.

" No. 18 set-up as a 491-yard par 4, rather than a 529-yard par 5."   After 17 longer and harder holes for the big boys it only makes sense to allow them to finish on a shorter and , therefore, easier hole !   Wait a minute, I'm sorry, it is harder to par!!
"
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 10:34:34 AM by mike_malone »
AKA Mayday

Sean Leary

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 12:35:27 PM »
I am really disappointed I didn't have time to play RG a couple of years ago with Mayday when I was in Philly. Glad to hear everything has gone so well.

mike_malone

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 01:39:56 PM »
 " (Since 1926, the lone alteration to the routing was made on the 15th hole, which Flynn modified in the mid-1930s.)"

This comment is confusing. There was an article that Joe Bausch uncovered which indicated an intent to move the #15 green to the left and longer.There is aerial photo evidence from the 30's showing two greens. But, I believe the present placement of #15 is in its original place, not an altered position.

I would also be interested in the evidence that Flynn was involved in the 30's change.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 02:00:32 PM by mike_malone »
AKA Mayday

Joe Bausch

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 02:20:44 PM »
Here is the article that Mayday is referring to, from March of 1931 in the Evening Bulletin, penned by future first commissioner of the PGA tour Joe Dey:

Note, the change at #15 was not in the mid-30's, but a bit earlier.

mike_malone

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 02:35:18 PM »
 Joe,

Thanks for the article. Those of us who convene each Sunday to view the aerial photo history and discuss things with Flynn, only had photos from 1926 and then in the mid 30's to see before you found this article. From the photos we surmised that a second green was added on #15 since two were visible in the photo. Possibly a more astute aerial photo guy like Craig Disher could tell if only one green was in use.

The article doesn't mention Flynn's involvement and refers to the new green's location as farther and more to the left. This is what is shown in the photo. So, the present location is the original location.

BTW, we have a drawing that hangs down stairs in the clubhouse that seems , to me, to be some sort of proposal superimposed on a plan which may have been used in conjunction with development nearby.

In this drawing the new #15 green is shown AS IS A GREEN FARTHER BACK AND MORE TO RIGHT ON # 7    

« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 06:25:14 PM by mike_malone »
AKA Mayday

mike_malone

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 02:38:44 PM »
 For years people said it was a drawing of the course as it was in the 20's. Until some goofball actually studied the drawing and pointed out that some significant things on the drawing weren't on the course!!
AKA Mayday

Joe Bausch

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2009, 02:30:33 PM »
Ok, it is time to view some 'before' and 'after' photos of RG.  The 'before' photos are from a visit to the course in 2007, the 'after' from last Friday afternoon with Mayday Malone (he shot 71, BTW) and a couple of other friends of mine, one of which is also a RG member.

I'm basically going to hi-lite mostly some of the bunker changes.  To me the obvious is that they enlarged and deepened many bunkers, the result being many greenside bunkers are closer to the green, and they combined bunkers in a few places as well.  It seems many of the greenside bunkers were brought closer to the green by simply taking off the grass faces that most bunkers possessed.

No 1 before, where left of the green are two bunkers:

No 1 after, where these two bunkers have been combined:

No 2 before, showing the three FW bunkers left:

No 2 after, where the biggest bunker is now 'on top':

I asked Mike to step into that top bunker so that we have some idea of the size of them:

Some other changes at/near #2 green is that the bushes and wall and some trees have been removed which has really cleaned up the look of the area, as this before pic shows:

Here's a similar 'after' pic from a slightly different angle:

And this 'after' pic from standing on the tee of the par 3 3rd, which has been moved back some, better shows how nice and clean this area is now:

The 'before' pic on #3 shows two bunkers left:

And here are two 'after' versions:

Here's an 'after' photo of one of the greenside bunkers left on No 4 looks, where the top-line of the bunker is not so grassy and as a result it is a bit closer to the green:

On the par 4 5th hole, there was a FW bunker right that was not really visible from the tee.  It is now:

This 'before' pic shows two greenside bunkers right on the 5th:

This 'after' version shows they've been combined, and the front of the bunker extended out 35 yards from the green.  This pic also shows my drive in the lower left-ish part of the photo, and it is in the FW, which has been widened out from an area that used to be rough:

The 'before' bunkering on the par 3 6th:

And 'after' bunkering:

I think of all the changes made in this restoration, the most talked about involves a couple of bunkers added short and right on the par 5.  Here is a 'before' photo taken from behind the green that shows the way the whole land short and right is canted, which allowed a shot to be tumbled down onto the green:

Here is the 'after' photo showing that two bunkers have been placed in that area:

Why were they added?  Perhaps Mayday wants to comment further on this.  Or not.  ;)  It seems to me that this was sort of a nice 'breather hole' before playing the next three holes, which are all pretty tough, so I would have preferred no additional bunkers added to the 7th.  

'Before' pic of the greenside bunkers at the 8th:

And 'after' versions:

On the par 3 10th, which plays uphill and 250+ yards now, this 'before' pic taken from behind the 9th green shows all kinds of recent and not so recently planted trees left of the hole:

And here is the 'before' pic from the tee, showing the trees left:

And here is the tee 'after' views from behind the 9th green and from the 10th tee:

Bunkers were combined left of the green on 10 as well:

The 'before' pic showing the FW bunker left on the 11th:

And the 'after' pic showing the enlargement and shape change (also note the greenside bunkers are larger):

A comparison of greenside bunker right on the 11th, before:

And 'after' where the grass face is much less pronounced in this zoomed photo:

As we waited to tee off on the 12th, we learned why a catbird nearby was chirping like mad:  a young red-tail was nearby and it decided to land on the ground near the 11th green.  The darn thing was practically domesticated and I got as close to a wild one as ever, snapping many pics.  All I could hear was Mayday in the background doing his Marlin Perkins imitation..."while Joe is up documenting the young bird from about 6 feet away, about to be attacked, I'm back here on the tee drinking my Dana Safari coffee"....

The 'before' bunkering at the green of the par 4 12th:

And 'after':

The 'before' on the uphill par 3 14th:

And the 'after' which I think has a new bunker added short and right of the green:

A 'before' tee view of the green at the par 3 16th:

And the 'after' view from the tee where two back bunkers have been combined into one:

A close-up of those two bunkers 'before':

And now 'after' as one bunker:

Perhaps a distant 2nd in terms of chatter to those bunkers added on the 7th hole are a change at the par 5 17th.  Here is the 'before' view from the tee on this dogleg left hole:

The 'after' shows a new bunker added right:

A close-up 'before' view of the bunker left of the green:

A view 'after' of that bunker looking up to the green:

Overall I'm very impressed with the changes made at Rolling Green.  Sure, there is some room to quibble, maybe even squawk a bit (like on the 7th), but IMO the course is even better now than before, and it has always been one of my favorites.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 07:34:04 PM by Joe Bausch »

astavrides

Why did they combine two bunkers into 1 so often?  Does it make for easier maintenance?  Not saying I don't like it, just curious.

mike_malone

Joe,

You are truly amazing .  We forgot to take a photo of the drawing downstairs.

Alex,

Those bunkers were one originally.
AKA Mayday

Joe Hancock

Where, oh where is the pictures of #18???........Mayday? You holding out on me????

;D

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

mike_malone

Joe,

We did bring the first set of bunkers on ;D #18 out a little in homage to you.  ;D
AKA Mayday

Joe Hancock

Joe,

We did bring the first set of bunkers on ;D #18 out a little in homage to you.  ;D

That right there is payment in full....... ;)

Let's see the 18th please?

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

mike_malone

Some other comments on the photos:

#2 fairway expansion----#10 cart path moved to the right----#11 tree removal on the left----#12 tree removal on the right---#14 tree removal on the side of the hill on the right--cart paths moved on #16 and #17 and tree removal on the right on #17.
AKA Mayday

mike_malone

Joe Bausch,

Here is how I see things.

The desire to restore the course to as close as possible to Flynn's original design was something I wholeheartedly supported. The plan presented by Forse Design went a veeeery long way to achieving that goal. I have heard a few comments about the size of the FAIRWAY bunkers being too large and some comments about the edges of the bunkering being too "clean".  But, as far as I can see, the work is a major advancement back to Flynn's ideas for the course. I love more than 90% of what was done in terms of bunkering, fairways, cart paths, and trees.

It is only when we diverged from Flynn's design intent and thinking/values that I disagreed. I still think he knows better!!!

If we had not added any new bunkers we would have been 100% back to the features intended for this course. If you can come that close why not go all the way?

The additions of bunkers on the short par fives seem to come from a perspective that wants to preserve "par" on these short fives by adding hazards. I don't think Flynn cared.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 06:31:50 PM by mike_malone »
AKA Mayday

mike_malone

Recently some Flynn articles from the 20's were posted here. In those articles he was clear that he preferred to let the land act as the hazard. Fairway bunkers were to be temptations to take on rather than hazards to be avoided.

On #7 the new bunker closest to the green sits right in the knob that created the uncertainty essential to the play of this hole.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 04:57:36 PM by mike_malone »
AKA Mayday

astavrides

Alex,

Those bunkers were one originally.

Thanks.  In that case, any idea why they became 2 at some point?  Does it make a difference either way?  I guess if the two bunkers were closer together, making them one makes the hole a little easier.  If the two bunkers were separated by a bunch of grass, making them one bunker makes it a little harder. I guess it also makes a difference if you are trying to restore it to Flynn's plan.

Dan Herrmann

Mayday (and other RG members) - Congratulations!  Your great course is even greater!

Joe B - great job as usual documenting.  Thanks!

mike_malone

Alex,

Actually the bunkers were separated before the first pictures we have in the 30's. I know that members have a tendency to complain when they have to rake alot and walk alot in big bunkers. I believe they are easier to maintain with modern equipment. I think that bunker shots would be tougher if there were two instead of one bunker because there would be more slopes to contend with.
 I love the one huge bunker because it brings back the visual intimidation that Flynn intended.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 08:15:37 PM by mike_malone »
AKA Mayday

James Bennett

Mayday

I'm not sure whether it is a slightly different season, or the cleaner cut of the bunkers, or ....

But the fairways look like they have been cut a fraction wider.  Is that so?

Benje
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

mike_malone

James,

We widened #2, #5,#7,#15 (hat tip to redanman), #17, and#18.
AKA Mayday

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back