News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Stu Grant

Unique design strategy - Flags you can't see!
« on: July 05, 2009, 09:20:36 PM »
Wherever I play, be it a great course or a terrible course, it is always interesting to come across something that I’ve never seen before.

Today, on a terrible course, I was amazed to see the use of Black flags: 

What a brilliant use of deception.  With the darkness of trees in the background, it’s a like having a blind hole without the hill. 

PS - yes that is a pink flagstick in the picture...I suppose that is a first as well.  There must have been a clearance sale on these items.

Joe Hancock

Re: Unique design strategy - Flags you can't see!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 09:28:57 PM »
Those things look so 16 year old boy with a cheesy mustache........

" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

James Boon

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 04:38:17 AM »
I recently posted a picture tour of Notts GC (Hollinwell) where some of the flags were a dark blue / green colour. I know the course well so I didn't notcie it when playing, but looking back at my photos it was annoying that you just couldn't see the flag on some of them. It wont stop me loving the course but why would you, why???  ::)

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell, Brora, Parkstone, Cavendish, Hallamshire, Sandmoor, Moortown, Elie, Crail, St Andrews (Himalayas & Eden), Chantilly, M, Hardelot Les Pins

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

JC Jones

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 11:59:44 AM »
Arcadia Bluffs uses 3 foot flag sticks (for the wind, they claim).  There are holes out there where you cant see the flag.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Doug Siebert

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 12:29:40 AM »
My home course uses black flags for the "back" pin position - yellow for middle and white for front.....black and gold being the U of Iowa's school colors.  Yes, it is a bit difficult to see when the trees behind are dark, especially on the uphill approaches.  Chalk up an advantage for this with good eyesight (or a good prescription for contacts ;))
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 01:01:48 AM »
What about flagsticks used as the system for telling where the pin is on the green?!  I played at The Witch Golf Links in Myrtle Beach today (pics when I get around to it) and they use a orange-and-white, white, and black-and-white flagsticks for front, middle, and back pins, respectively.  Quirky.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back