News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Macpherson

Best artificial beach bunkers
« on: July 04, 2009, 03:58:31 AM »
HI,

Just wondering if there have ever been any really great artificial 'beach' (or sandy lake edge) bunkers built? Usually they sit wet and look out of place. Can anybody provide photos of great man-made beach bunkers where the water is lapping up against the sand?

scott

Dave Givnish

Re: Best artificial beach bunkers
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 11:07:43 AM »
Estancia has one left of the green on a par 5 on the back nine, I think 15.  The bunker just fades into the pond.  It looks great, but is a bit unusual for a desert course.  There are a few very expensive houses on the other side of the pond, and I guess that the bunker paid for itself many times over when the lots were originally sold.

Richard Choi

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 12:10:53 PM »
I think the very first beach bunker I saw was at Doral (Blue) and it is still the prettiest I have seen...

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 12:48:48 PM »
I believe that the beach bunker at Doral is no longer there.  It's al grass around those palm trees.

True Blue in Pawleys Island has a few beach bunkers/waste areas that are nicely tied in, I'd say.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Jay Kirkpatrick

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 02:15:09 PM »
Caledonia has several really cool ones.  Those are the first ones I can remember ever seeing and still my favorite to this day.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 02:37:57 PM by Jay Kirkpatrick »

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 06:11:30 PM »
Isn't there one at Bandon Trails? I believe it is hole #6, the long uphill hole. There is the pond on the left, but the first bunker on the right fades right into a little pond of its own. I dont know if it is always like that, but it certainly was when I played it in march... First time I had ever seen a "beach bunker".

Mark_Fine

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 10:18:17 PM »
Scott,
There are many great ones, #14 at Pine Valley immediately comes to mind.  Don't have time to post photos.
Mark

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 11:05:54 PM »
Legends On The Niagara has one on the Battlefield course, near Niagara Falls, Ontario.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

John Moore II

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 12:04:56 AM »
I don't have a picture, but #14 at Tobacco Road has one that blends fairly naturally into the water and back into the green surround.

Scott Macpherson

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 04:10:40 AM »
Scott,
There are many great ones, #14 at Pine Valley immediately comes to mind.  Don't have time to post photos.
Mark

Hi Mark,

Yeah, that is a good one, but is it natural or artificial? As that site is naturally sandy, I suspect it may be natural sand. As I am sure you are aware, making beach bunkers becomes a lot harder when you have to consider lining the bunkers, draining them, dealing with variable water heights etc.

scott

PCCraig

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2009, 10:49:59 AM »
There seem to be 100's around the Chicagoland area as in the late 1980's Dick Nugent went on a Beach Bunker tear.
H.P.S.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2009, 11:19:40 AM »
Pat,

Yes he was! I think he did some at Sand Creek in Chesterton, IN in 1974.  There was one at Kemper Lakes in 1977 and I recall one at Briarwood (now maligned as not fitting the rest of the course about 1980)

It did seem like a neat idea.  I even continued it after starting on my own for a while. I have one at Tierra Santa in Weslaco, TX Stallion Mtn. in Las Vegas, NV and a few others.  I have heard reports that nearly all of them have been taken out.  As mentioned, the bottoms don't drain and get sloppy. If you look at the Doral photo, you can see its really raised a foot or so above water to avoid that, but apparently wave action or some other factor still caused it to be removed.

I have trouble imagining that Strantz or anyone else can get them to work any better than I could!  As such, while a neat and different feature, they will probably dissappear for a generation until some young gca comes up with what he/she thinks is a "new idea" about 2055.  And then, the process will begin again!
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

PCCraig

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2009, 11:25:12 AM »
Pat,

Yes he was! I think he did some at Sand Creek in Chesterton, IN in 1974.  There was one at Kemper Lakes in 1977 and I recall one at Briarwood (now maligned as not fitting the rest of the course about 1980)

It did seem like a neat idea.  I even continued it after starting on my own for a while. I have one at Tierra Santa in Weslaco, TX Stallion Mtn. in Las Vegas, NV and a few others.  I have heard reports that nearly all of them have been taken out.  As mentioned, the bottoms don't drain and get sloppy. If you look at the Doral photo, you can see its really raised a foot or so above water to avoid that, but apparently wave action or some other factor still caused it to be removed.

I have trouble imagining that Strantz or anyone else can get them to work any better than I could!  As such, while a neat and different feature, they will probably dissappear for a generation until some young gca comes up with what he/she thinks is a "new idea" about 2055.  And then, the process will begin again!

Nugent placed one on the 17th hole of Wilmette GC (the par-5) and it couldn't look more out of place than in Wilmette, IL  :)

It's a nice idea in principal, but in the end at Wilmette, it became a ideal place for goose poop to float ashore.
H.P.S.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back