News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

The Next Great American Parkland Golf Course
« on: July 01, 2009, 11:52:23 AM »
When and where? if at all.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Joe Hancock

Re: The Next Great American Parkland Golf Course
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 11:54:46 AM »
Mike,

I'd be interested to know what recent parkland courses you consider great. Surely there has been some built in the past 5 years?

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 11:59:56 AM »
There are not many modern golf course sites which could be fairly described as "parkland" to start with ... mostly remodels, such as Common Ground or the Cal Club. 

Few new sites have the number of mature trees required to earn the "parkland" designation.  Merion and Oak Hill and Oakland Hills were more open farmland than "parkland" at the start.  They were willing to plant trees and wait 25-30 years for the landscaping to take effect.  Most new courses aren't, and even if they were, it would take more time than this thread wants to give them.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 12:05:23 PM »
Shouldn't Tom's statement be revised to most new courses by what one might consider the best current GCAs are not parkland. Certainly there  must be lots of parkland courses being developed. In the Portland area, some that come to mind that have been built in the last 15 years or so are Ghost Creek, Chehalem Glen, The OGA members course, etc.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 12:08:49 PM »
Garland:

Isn't Pumpkin Ridge older than that?

I wasn't just speaking for my own projects, I haven't seen others work on parkland sites much, either.  Don't know the others in Oregon you mentioned, but outside the northwest, can you think of many?

[Some people might call Tumble Creek parkland, but I wouldn't, even though I'm not sure what other label fits better.]

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 12:12:59 PM »
You'd have to say the Kingsley Club is a parkland course.  It's pretty good.   ;)

The Dormie Club might be the next great one when it's completed.  I have heard nothing but good things about it.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 12:18:50 PM »
Tom rightly points out that "parkland" is a relatively nebulous term.  In my mind it refers to a heavily tree'd (but not forested) inland site with flat to gently rolling topography that is not dominated by any particularly land form or naive vegetation.   I suspect my definition is too broad.

In response to Joe's question, I cheated and looked through Golfweek's Top 100 Modern List and couldn't fine anything in the past five years - maybe Forest Creek in Pinehurst.  I would consider The Honors parkland, perhaps Kinloch though I haven't seen it.  

I ask the question becuase I think that "type" of course is a uniquely American genre that is dying a quick death as a result of the pursuit (and rightly so) of spectacular sites.  

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

RJ_Daley

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 12:20:18 PM »
To what degree of established trees throughout the course and rolling terrain, do you consider it parkland?  We have had many courses in the last 10 years that are partially on mature treed parkland, and partially through open meadows.  Off the top of my head, those I've been to in recent years that are to a large degree parkland, with established stands of trees incorporated along hole corridors and even within playing strategy, such as Angels Crossing, and Long Shadow, or Cuscowilla.  And, I"m sure my off the top thoughts doesn't even scratch the surface of how many modern courses are partially in parkland settings.  Or, are you further refining the definition and not including courses that are more your idea of 'woodland' courses?   :)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 12:24:53 PM »
MIke, you type faster than I.   ;) ;D   But, what do you consider Long Shadow or Cusco?  Woodland, parkland, or parade of homes?  Those two are a mix, IMHO.  But, parkland does suit them most because of the mature trees, rolling terrain, even lakes or created ones.  The fact that there are residential areas along sides doesn't take them out of the running to be classified parkland in my view, because most lovely urban parks have residential or even commerical all around them. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 12:26:05 PM »
Garland:

Isn't Pumpkin Ridge older than that?

I wasn't just speaking for my own projects, I haven't seen others work on parkland sites much, either.  Don't know the others in Oregon you mentioned, but outside the northwest, can you think of many?

[Some people might call Tumble Creek parkland, but I wouldn't, even though I'm not sure what other label fits better.]

Time flies as you get older, It was built 16-17 years ago.

What about Arnie's and Jake's courses near Tumble Creek? Are they parkland?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Richard Choi

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 12:28:57 PM »
Arnie's course, Suncadia Prospector course, is a typical Arnie course with template holes. No excitement to speak of other than the breathtaking view you get when you get to the tee at the 10th hole. They say that the Jake's course, Rope Rider, will open in 2010, but I am not sure if that is going to happen or not.

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2009, 12:29:42 PM »
How about Bobby Weed's Glen Mills course in suburban Philadelphia?

Michael Dugger

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 12:32:20 PM »
Arnie's course, Suncadia Prospector course, is a typical Arnie course with template holes. No excitement to speak of other than the breathtaking view you get when you get to the tee at the 10th hole. They say that the Jake's course, Rope Rider, will open in 2010, but I am not sure if that is going to happen or not.

That sheds little light on the question at hand, Richard.

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Richard Choi

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 12:35:49 PM »
Sorry, I wouldn't call it parkland as it goes through some severe elevation changes due to the property where it resides. I would say it is more mountain course than parkland.

Norbert P

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2009, 01:39:40 PM »
When and where? if at all.

Bogey

Gimme $3,000,000 and I'll show you.

We have to believe that the greatest is yet to come.

Onward Rocinante' !
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Garland Bayley

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2009, 02:14:31 PM »
The restored Augusta National Golf Club after the new  wedge grooves return sanity to The Masters.
 ;D

Bruce Katona

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2009, 02:23:43 PM »
Slag: How many houses can Steve Lapper and I fit around the course and maybe we can talk ????
BK

Norbert P

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2009, 03:20:26 PM »
Just one.  I don't need no stinking neighbors!
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Carl Nichols

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2009, 03:35:23 PM »
Interesting definitional question.  Is Bandon Trails a parkland course?  One could argue that it's "a heavily tree'd (but not forested) inland site with flat to gently rolling topography that is not dominated by any particularly land form or naive vegetation."  What about Rock Creek Cattle? 

Tim Pitner

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2009, 03:54:34 PM »
Interesting definitional question.  Is Bandon Trails a parkland course?  One could argue that it's "a heavily tree'd (but not forested) inland site with flat to gently rolling topography that is not dominated by any particularly land form or naive vegetation."  What about Rock Creek Cattle? 

Parts of Bandon Trails were carved out of a forest so it's difficult for me to say that it's not "forested."  Bandon Trails seems more like a Pinehurst or even some UK heathland courses where the trees are there, but don't come into play too much. 

Carl Nichols

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2009, 04:13:04 PM »

Parts of Bandon Trails were carved out of a forest so it's difficult for me to say that it's not "forested."  Bandon Trails seems more like a Pinehurst or even some UK heathland courses where the trees are there, but don't come into play too much. 

Tim: 
Are you reading Michael's definition as excluding courses that were cut out of forests?  If so, and you might very well be right, what would you call a course that was cut out of a forest, if it's otherwise on a gently rolling inland site? 

Tim Pitner

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2009, 04:29:13 PM »
Carl,

I agree there are definitional difficulties here.  For some reason, when I think of "parkland" courses, I tend to think of deciduous rather than coniferous trees.  Maybe that goes back to some of the first parkland courses in the UK which I understand were built on old hunting grounds, estates, etc.  Courses in the UK do tend to be links, heathland, downland or parkland--maybe clifftop is another category.  In the US, those categories breakdown--we don't have many links and we have other types of typography and soils--prairie, for instance. 

I'm not sure I'm advancing the discussion, but I don't consider Bandon Trails a parkland course.  To me, even though it's not on heathland (what course in the U.S. is?), it's more analogous to a heathland course.  It's built on at least some sandy soil, the conditions are firm enough to allow for the ground game and trees are present but not much in play.  I'd call Bandon Trails a links before I'd call it parkland.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2009, 04:36:48 PM »
Carl,

I agree there are definitional difficulties here.  For some reason, when I think of "parkland" courses, I tend to think of deciduous rather than coniferous trees.  Maybe that goes back to some of the first parkland courses in the UK which I understand were built on old hunting grounds, estates, etc.  Courses in the UK do tend to be links, heathland, downland or parkland--maybe clifftop is another category.  In the US, those categories breakdown--we don't have many links and we have other types of typography and soils--prairie, for instance. 

I'm not sure I'm advancing the discussion, but I don't consider Bandon Trails a parkland course.  To me, even though it's not on heathland (what course in the U.S. is?), it's more analogous to a heathland course.  It's built on at least some sandy soil, the conditions are firm enough to allow for the ground game and trees are present but not much in play.  I'd call Bandon Trails a links before I'd call it parkland.

Tim, dont' you think Bandon Trails is really a hybrid like a wonderful antecedent, Cypress Poin?.  Both courses start out in the dunes / links area and wind their way up into the forest, then back down into the dunes. 

The major difference is that Bandon Trails doesn't have holes right on the Pacific Ocean like #15-17 at Cypress Point!  ;D  But both courses are a combination of environments.  Ditto for Friars Head and Spyglass Hill.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2009, 04:42:09 PM »
Bill,

Sure, Bandon Trails is a hybrid--I was just trying to make a call and not to cop out. :)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2009, 04:51:02 PM »
Bill,

Sure, Bandon Trails is a hybrid--I was just trying to make a call and not to cop out. :)

It's always easier to waffle!  ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back