News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dale Jackson

Information on a GA
« on: June 28, 2009, 10:28:07 PM »
Can anyone point me to something about a golf architect by the last name of Nichols (not sure of the spelling) who did work in California in the 1920s and then Japan?
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

ed_getka

Re: Information on a GA
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 10:36:13 PM »
Dale,
   You are looking for Tom Nicoll. What would you like to know?
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

ed_getka

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 10:41:04 PM »
"Scottish-born professional Tom Nicoll designed and built a number of coures in California before and after spending several years in Asia. In 1917 he moved to Manila to build and operate a course there for the US government. In Manila he taught a group of Japanese golfers who persuaded him to become the  professional at Komazawa GC in Tokyo. As such, he was one of, if not the first, teaching professional in Japan. He also laid out several courses in Japan was given credit for popularizing the game in the Orient."
   The above is from The Architects of Golf
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Dale Jackson

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 10:48:25 PM »
Thanks, he was the relative of a friend who knew he was an architect in California and Japan but nothing more.
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

ed_getka

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 11:00:03 PM »
Dale,
   Here is the rest. "He returned to California in the mid-1920's and served as club pro at Los Altos G and CC for many years.

Courses by Tom Nicoll:
Calif. Burlingame CC (1905, NLE); Los Altos G&CC; Menlo CC (9); San Jose CC (1915)

Remodeled or expanded:
Calif. Los Altos G&CC (Revised 1946, with Clark Glasson.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back