News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

The Gold Course at Soldier Hollow, with pics!
« on: June 26, 2009, 05:38:36 PM »
After seeing it appear on GolfWeek's top 50 muni list, I recently played the Gold Course at Soldier Hollow to give it a look. Its located in the Heber valley about 45 minutes from downtown Salt Lake City, UT. The 36 hole facility is adjacent to the cross-country skiing venue used in the 2002 Olympics and the Gold and Silver courses were opened in 2004, designed by Gene Bates Design. The complex is set in a gorgeous mountain locale at the base of the east bench of the Wasactch Mountain range.  Great views are had on every hole of the course and Mt.Timpanagos, (elev. 11,700 feet), is used as a backdrop for several holes. While the Silver Course is mostly flat, the Gold course uses more of the mountainside terrain and provides terrific vistas of the Deer Creek Reservoir and Heber Valley.

The Gold Course is very much a tale of two nines. The front 9 starts out on gently rolling pieces of the property and eventually works its way back to the clubhouse introducing some of the mountain slope along the way. Conversly, the back 9 is an up and down roller coaster that showcases the most dramatic holes on the course. While there are a few interesting holes to be found on the front 9, the back 9 is where the real fun starts as the 5 hole stretch from # 10-14 is simply terrific.

The course was in good confition even though it did play slow due to no fault of its own.  NY isn't the only place that's been wet lately as here in Northern Utah we've seen 3.5 straights week of rain and are nearly 400% of normal for the month of June. While the greens were in great shape, it was a letdown that they were mostly flat with little internal contouring. The undulating fairways were configured nicely and 3 of the 4 par 5s presented some interesting choices on either the tee shot and/or approach. A missed opportunity was a handful of par 4s that while on the short side, were still too long to reach even for longer hitters, so they never tempted one to have a go at the green.

I thought an excellent job was done with integrating the tee boxes into the natural terrain as it was often hard to discern where you just teed off from when looking back. Additionally, Dr. MacK's disappearing bunker act was used extensivly as just about every bunker vanished from sight when looking back from the green...and there was no shortage of bunkering on the course. :)

The one massive blight on the course was the 9th hole as its easily one of the worst 5 holes I've ever seen. (Even the pic shown later doesn't do justice to how bad it was...more on this to come).  Additionally, while the bunkering wasn't bad, to me it was very templatized and repetive although I really liked the one on the the 6th hole.

Overall, the course is a great value at only $40 and one of Gene Bates better efforts of his courses I've seen. The routing was good and I'm guessing with the severity of the back 9, it likely wasn't a very ideal site to begin with. While its certainly one of the best munis in Northern Utah, I have a hard time thinking it belonged on the top 50 muni list for the US.  I would give the course a Doak 5 rating because while its good, its nothing special to seek out.

With that said, here is a pictoral review of the course.

Hole 1 - Par 4 - This is a fairly gentle downhill opener, but the native can immediately be seen.  Thankfully it wasn't too thick in most spots and you could usually play from it.

The approach in from the fairway to a bunkerless green.

Looking back up the hole from behind the green.

Hole 2 - Par 5 - The tee shot gives you a nice choice with a safe shot out to the left or gamble by going over the tree and bunkers to cut off some major distance and get home in 2.

A look in from the fairway.

Looking back from behind the green and seeing the "disappearing bunkers".

Hole 3 - Par 3 - This is a shortish little par 3 which gives the player a great chance for birdie or better.

A look back reveals how the tee melts away into it surroundings.

Hole 4 - Par 4 - The 1st of a missed oppotunity.  With the bunkering being where it is and the length of the hole, it just didn't make any sense to challenge them.  So I teed off with a 3w just to get it in play.

The approach in from wedge distance.

Hole 5 - Par 4 - The routing turns around and starts heading back to the clubhouse.  I missed the tee shot due to another group letting me play thru.

The approach in to a well protected green complex.

A closer look at the green with Timp in the background.

Hole 6 - Par 4 - Another lost opportunity with being a shortish par 4, yet way out of reach as its uphill. You can see the green side bunker, and I'm kicking myself because I forgot to take a closer pic, because I was too busy checking it out....but this bunker was really done well.  It was set on a diagonal to the line of play and really gave the player fits in determing just where the blind green was and what the best angle of attack was.

Hole 7 - Par 5 - The action starts to heat up with this par 5 that requires a well hit tee shot.

If you hit it well enough, you can consider going home in 2, but there is a lot of bunkering to contend with.   ;)

More Mack-style disappearing bunkers...this is from behind the green looking back.

Hole 8 - Par 3 - This lengthy dropshot par 3 provides a fantastic view and keeps you holding your breath to see if you picked the right club.

A look from the left hand bunker where i deposited my tee shot.

Hole 9 - Par 4 - I mentioned this in my intro but this hole was just plain awful.  400+ yards into the previaling wing with a OB left, a large pond to the right.  Then there is a creek at the start of the fairway as well as just in front of the green.  If that wasn't enough they decided to stick a large fairway bunker right in the middle of the landing area as well as another one next to the poind.  Luckily I made the fairway after just barely carrying the middle bunker. (Use the scroll bar to go side to side to take it all in!)  ;D

I was still left with this long approach in to a shallow elevated green with a creek and bunker in front of the green.  And they used whiter than white sand for that bunker, just on this hole.

Looking back....what an awful hole!!

Back 9 to come soon....
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 09:12:46 PM by Kalen Braley »

Kalen Braley

Re: The Gold Course at Solder Hollow, with pics!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 05:57:39 PM »
To help with the scrolling, I'll post em one hole at a time.  I really hope they get it fixed because having to scroll over and back is very annoying.  :-[

Hole 10 - Par 4 - A nice hole to start the back 9. Fit the tee shot over the 1st bunker...

...and your left with this devilish approach to an elevated, skiyline, fortress-like green.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 05:59:21 PM by Kalen Braley »

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 05:58:33 PM »
All seemed very similar Kalen, were the holes easy to remember?
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Kalen Braley

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 06:02:07 PM »
Hole 11 - Par 4 - Its bombs away on this downhill par 4 that plays much shorter than the yardage on the card.  Catch the speed slot and you're only left with a short iron approach.

The approach after I chose to layup, still fairly short playing downhill.

A look back up the fairway where you can get a sense of its lumps, bumps, and heaving nature.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 06:05:21 PM »
Hole 12 - Par 5 - This hole turns around and plays right back into the wind.  3 good shots are required to get home and the tee shot is fairly intimidating.

The choice to either try to carry the large hollow with your 2nd or play out to the right to follow the fairway.

Thet approach in from the right.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 06:08:18 PM »
Hole 13 - Par 4  I really like this hole and thought it was a cracker tee shot.  Fit it in between the bunkers which are at an angle to the line of play.

A look in to the green from the fairway after I hit a decent tee ball.

A look back to the "bunkerless" fairways and well camoflauged tees.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 06:09:47 PM »
Hole 14 - Par 3 - Another neat hole to finish off the nice 5 hole run.  A long par 3 with a massive green.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 06:11:47 PM »
Hole 15 - Par 4 - A very blind tee shot that really gets your attention....

And when you crest over the top of the ridge, it is downhill to this green complex.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 06:12:45 PM »
Hole 16 - Par 3  Another drop shot par 3 that was just Ok.  I really like the green on this hole though because it had some actual internal contouring.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 06:14:38 PM »
Hole 17 - Par 5 - This is a tale of two par 5s.  Its an absolute beast from the tips but from the middle tees where I played, it was much shorter.

A look at the very narrow, blind tee shot.

And a look at the approach into the green.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2009, 06:17:13 PM »
Hole 18 - Par 4 - This is a neat little finishing hole where you can challenge the bunker and get a ton of run and a wedge approach in, or take the safe shot out to the right for a mid-iron approach.

A look from in from about 150'ish. You can see the cross-country venue in the background pretty good on this shot.

A look back up the hill after completion of the round.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 06:20:37 PM by Kalen Braley »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2009, 06:24:06 PM »
All seemed very similar Kalen, were the holes easy to remember?

Adrian,

I would have to agree that the holes on the front 9 seemed to have more of a sameness to them, even though I can remember them all very well. To me it was the templatized bunkering that sort of gave me that impression as I mentioned earlier.  The back 9 was certainly a lot more distinctive and the holes were much different from each other.  But then again, the back 9 is really where the meat of the course was in my opinion and where some very fun holes are found.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2009, 08:44:56 PM »
Kalen:

Seems like the holes are pretty spread out on the property ... did they save some land in between holes for future development, or is it just a big open property?

P.S.  You should correct the typo in the title, I thought it might be a lawsuit about faulty welding.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2009, 09:32:37 PM »
Kalen:

Seems like the holes are pretty spread out on the property ... did they save some land in between holes for future development, or is it just a big open property?

P.S.  You should correct the typo in the title, I thought it might be a lawsuit about faulty welding.

Tom,

Thanks for the spelling catch..oops!!  ;D

As far as the spacing, thats interesting you should point that out because if anything the holes felt cramped in a bit, well kind of.  And not necessarily because of the holes on the Gold course, but because of the Silver Course. 

I've attached an aerial view to give a better idea of whats going on. The first 6 holes for the Gold butt up against the entire 18 of the Silver so they feel like they are right on top of each other. However, on the Gold the last 3 of the front 9, and the entire back 9 are all worked into the slope of the mountain bench so they are spaced out a bit more.  I'm guessing they did this to find playable corridors as the terrain is more extreme. These 12 holes are located left of NW Spur Road.

As for housing, thankfully I doubt any will ever get built because the facility resides inside Wascatch Mountain State Park.

Brent Carlson

Re: The Gold Course at Soldier Hollow, with pics!
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2009, 11:38:39 PM »
Kalen,

Great write up.  When I lived in Utah 04-06 I didn't play much golf; but Bountiful Ridge and Bonneville were nice tracks.

What are your favorite mountain courses on the Wasatch front?  What do you think about Hobble Creek?  Heard that was nice.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2009, 11:45:19 PM »
Kalen,

Great write up.  When I lived in Utah 04-06 I didn't play much golf; but Bountiful Ridge and Bonneville were nice tracks.

What are your favorite mountain courses on the Wasatch front?  What do you think about Hobble Creek?  Heard that was nice.
]

Brent,

I've written up most of the good public options here in the SLC extended area.  Bonneville I did in two parts, but yet to do Bountiful Ridge, which I need to do, despite having a few eyesores. And thanks for mentioning Hobble Creek, I really need to do that one because its one of those off-the-beaten path, hidden gem type of courses.

I live in Sandy so I like to get out and play South Mountain and Thanksgiving Point often.  I also like playing WingPointe, Riverton, and Bonneville as well.  There are so many great inexpensive options, it really is a nice smorgasborg to pick from when I'm getting ready to head out.

Kalen

Tom_Doak

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2009, 09:42:40 AM »
Kalen:

Thanks for posting the aerial.  Looks like a nice facility overall; I wish more state parks were forward-thinking about golf.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2009, 09:56:41 AM »
Interestingly enough, there is another 36 hole public facility less than 5 miles north of Soldier Hollow, which also sits in and is owned by the state park. I did a review on one of those courses last fall as well, but SH is nicer IMO.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2009, 02:52:17 PM »
Kalen:

Soldier Hollow's Gold layout is good for UT public golf -- it is not, from the many muni's I've played -- merit a top 50 position in the USA. Many of the fairways are mega wide to the point that being on any one side or the other is meaningless. So many of the holes are grip'n rip types and the greens, while at times sporting some fine contours, are merely large with all to distinguish themselves in any noticeable way.

Soldier Hollow provides a fine facility and no doubt the fees are very modest compared to other mountain golf options that are nearby.

What's important to remember -- a facility can be rated very good for its state -- but when held against the entire USA that's another story to consider.

Kalen, I do agree with one thing -- the back nine is clearly the more compelling design with loads more interesting holes.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2009, 11:00:25 PM »
Kalen:

Soldier Hollow's Gold layout is good for UT public golf -- it is not, from the many muni's I've played -- merit a top 50 position in the USA. Many of the fairways are mega wide to the point that being on any one side or the other is meaningless. So many of the holes are grip'n rip types and the greens, while at times sporting some fine contours, are merely large with all to distinguish themselves in any noticeable way.

Soldier Hollow provides a fine facility and no doubt the fees are very modest compared to other mountain golf options that are nearby.

What's important to remember -- a facility can be rated very good for its state -- but when held against the entire USA that's another story to consider.

Kalen, I do agree with one thing -- the back nine is clearly the more compelling design with loads more interesting holes.

Matt,

I also said I didn't think it belonged in the top 50 munis as well, so thats two things you agree with.   ;D

However of more interest to me is where you think it stacks up to the best public options in the area, namely Thanksgiving Point and South Mountain.  I personally felt both of those are better than the Gold Course, by a decent margin not a large one.  But certainly this is another really solid offering to add to Utah's fine array of public and very inexpensive courses.

Kalen

Matt_Ward

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2009, 11:40:17 PM »
Kalen:

From the public courses I have played in the Beehive State here's the story for me ...

Sand Hollow #1

TP #2

then major drop off to whatever one wants to add as #3.

South Mountain is a good layout but the extremes of downhill shots becomes a bit much over and over again.

Coral Canyon can make a play for the #3 position but like I said before -- if someone is looking for national caliber type designs you can venture to Sand Hollow on the public side -- well done by John Fought -- especially the cliff type holes. On the private side Tom Fazio hit a mega home run with the likes of Glenwild in Park City in my mind.

Soldier Hollow is solid stuff for Joe and Jane Sixpacks -- those looking for a good play at a modest price. There are a few hole of note -- but nothing so exceptional that a special trip outside say 100 miles needs to be made.

Jon Nolan

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2009, 01:45:41 AM »
I like Sand Hollow at #1 and TP at #2 with Coral Canyon probably #3.  But some observations...

Everyone loves the back nine at Sand Hollow better than the front.  Those cliff edge holes are visually stunning but some of them play fairly weak for me.  The par four after the first par three on the back requires zero thought.  Long iron or maybe 3w to center of a narrowish fairway is the only play.  The following par four is very good.  The par three with nine tee areas (next?) seems to require a single shot.  Short or barely on front right and hope to hell you don't run off the back right.  So while it flies in the face of everything I've read here I do not feel the back at Sand Hollow tops the front overall. The Links nine is very enjoyable too.  We played that last weekend and the only other moving creatures we saw the whole time were some sort of raptors dining on a couple of the 5 million rabbits living on that course.  The Championship course was packed and the Links course was completely dead.  Shame, makes me worry for it's health although I understand the entire development was put together without any ongoing debt service.  Any truth to that?

Does anyone (everyone?) else think the front at TP is a completely different and far better nine than the back?  It's not even close for me.  If the back played to the level of the front I'd play there often.

I need to play Coral Canyon again.  St. George/Mesquite is starting to have too many options (is that possible?) and I find myself realizing that it's been 4-5 years since I've been on Coral Canyon.

Soldier Hollow might not be a must see but for a guy 90 minutes away it's a must drive a couple of times a year.  Throw in the Wasatch courses and you have a great series of July/August breaks from the courses in the valley(s) playing at 100*.  I like the back nine but I think #6 is an absolutely fantastic hole.  #2 is interesting off the tee, I've seen 5* difference in tee shots result in a massive advantage.  Agreed, #9 totally blows.  All in all the back is more interesting than the front.  If only something could be done about the silly #16.  Par threes with massive elevation changes and big wind require very regular play in order for a well struck shot earning its just reward.  I'm usually picking between four clubs on that tee.  And what the hell is up with the insects on the back nine of that course?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2009, 08:53:16 AM »
Jon,

Good to see you chime in.  I haven't been down to Southern Utah yet to have a look at Sand Hollow but maybe its in the cards for this fall sometime....summers are just too darn hot down there.

As for TP, you really think the back 9 sucks?  I think the stretch of holes from 13-17 is by far and away the best on the course.  And I'm not saying the front 9 sucks either, just that its not as good as most on the back.  That being said I will admit 11 is not the greatest hole and 12 is borderline a clunker, but all the rest are good holes, even if 18 is a tad bit anti-climatic.

For Soldier Hollow Gold...2 and 6 were the most interesting holes on the front 9, with 7 not too far behind.  But the action really heats up on #10-15 which I thought was great run of holes.  16 wasn't bad to me as living in Utah with all these mountain courses drop shot holes aren't uncommon.  You should see the one at Mountain Dell Lake Course...the 17th is a big drop shotter with nowhere to miss.   ;D

Either way, we need to get out and play a round, lets set something up!!

Jon Nolan

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2009, 12:01:47 PM »
Hiya Kalen,

No, I don't think the back nine at TP sucks but I do think it's inferior to the front.  As you mentioned 11 and 12 aren't great.  13 and 14 going back north are good.  The appeal of 15 doesn't register for me. 16 is ok.  17 is good especially once you're on the green.  Some of the greens on the back have some fantastic features.  Overall though, fewer options and the challenges are often brought on by length rather than strategy IMO.  The front is all about positioning and angles.  I find myself thinking my way around the front and slogging my way around the back.

But I'd love to discuss the merits and lack thereof on a hole-by-hole basis down there some time with you.  I did finally get back out there after a few years about a month ago and, as you said, it's back in great shape and worth a couple of rounds per year.  Especially at weekday rates which by Utah County standards happens to include Sunday.  :-D

Yeah, Mountain Dell #17 is psycho. 

Speaking of St. George in the summer, we had temps in the 80s, cloud cover and wind ranging from a breeze to a two-shotter last Saturday.  Our round on the Championship Course was September in SLC weather.  Beautiful.  Couldn't believe our luck.  Of course, we were then blown off the course during our afternoon round at Sky Mountain.  Just as well.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2009, 02:13:08 PM »
John,

Fair enough and I would agree the front 9 is a tad bit wider with the exception of the 7th which is a very tough hole.  As for the 15th I really it like cause you play it some many different ways, whether its hitting a low fade runner, going for the high fade, using the slopes as kickers,etc. And getting in that massive bunker on the right is probably double bogey time..which I've done a couple of times. Also agreed that playing it on Sunday afternoons or the winter time is the only way to go.

Sounds like you guys totally lucked out last week, normally its already into the 100s by June down there.

Send me a PM and lets plan to get out...how is next Sunday afternoon for you?  ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back