News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Cirba

How many here will abandon their square grooves?
« on: June 25, 2009, 10:08:27 AM »
Will you be buying new v-shaped grooved clubs for Christmas this year and dumping your U-shaped grooves in the trash? 

Tom Huckaby

Re: How many here will abandon their square grooves?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 10:20:36 AM »
Cirba, you're a genius.  I was wracking my brain for an angle on how to convince the wife to allow the expenditure for new irons.. EUREKA!  Honey, my clubs are now illegal.  I can't play if I don't get new clubs.

Hey wait a second... she's smart... she may take advantage of that...

"great, now you can't play.  Go watch the kids."

Methinks I am sticking with status quo.

;D

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 10:20:42 AM »
I haven't bought any new clubs for quite some time and won't be anytime in the near future.  

tlavin

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 10:27:30 AM »
Heck no.  I don't play in any sanctioned amateur events, so I don't feel the need...

PThomas

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 10:28:41 AM »
not unless i get stimulus money to benefit the golf industry!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 10:34:01 AM »
Mike: You have a total misconception of the quality of the players on this site - it makes no difference what clubs we use - we still stink.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 10:35:11 AM »
I've only got square grooves in my sand and lob wedge.  Unless I decide on some us open qualifying (highly doubt it), those are staying in my bag.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 10:35:45 AM »
What will be the rule, as it pertains to low-h'cap amateurs that play in state amateur events?

I was under the impression that the change, at least for non-tour pros, will not occur for some time.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Jim Franklin

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 10:36:14 AM »
I have been buying as many wedges as I can find so I will have grooves for a long time.
Mr Hurricane

Sean_A

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 10:39:20 AM »
I don't even know what shape my grooves are. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Richard Choi

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 10:40:19 AM »
I'm with Jim, I am going to stock up on enough wedges this year to last me next 15 years :)

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 10:41:17 AM »
I don't even know what shape my grooves are. 

Ciao

That's the funny thing.. neither do I!  I truly have no clue.  I do have relatively new irons so assumed they must be illegal in some way.

Seriously what is the deal here? I do play tournaments from time to time.. what will be required?

Lou_Duran

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 11:00:03 AM »
I recently purchased a 56* Cleveland CG12 with "zip" grooves to replace my worn out CG10 with regular grooves.  No noticeable difference at my swing speed.  So, until this one wears out in 4-5 years, I guess I will be non-compliant.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 11:07:26 AM »
My wedges were several years old and the 58-degree one was pretty beat-up. So I bought a new pair of sand wedge and lob wedge just a few months ago and intend to get at least 300-400 rounds out of them regardless of whatever Rule shakes out of all this silliness. As little golf as I'm playing nowadays that could take five years or more which is fine by me.

Will MacEwen

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2009, 11:10:10 AM »
Is it only wedges that have the non-complioant grooves?  I love my Titleist irons, and finding something similar in LH would be very difficult.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2009, 11:11:37 AM »
If you're really concerned and your wedge game is that good then you might as well go for these.

http://www.vokey.com/wedgeworks/Select.aspx

jonathan_becker

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2009, 11:14:17 AM »
For those of you that want options for your grooves.....

www.groovesharpener.com

Richard Choi

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2009, 11:20:31 AM »
The current grooves are perfectly legal for play till 2024, so no one is going to be accusing you of cheating or what not.

USGA amateur competition will switch to v-grooves on 2014, but the are still legal for other competitions.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2009, 11:22:03 AM »
Richard - thanks - given I am in no danger of ever qualifying for a USGA event, methinks I am safe... but.. this just seems weird to me.  I do play in NCGA events (local association).  Is it really true that old grooves will be legal for these, but illegal for USGA qualifiers and events proper?

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2009, 11:34:25 AM »
Yes, I will be Mike, as soon as I can. I've been having trouble the last few years with too much spin coming out of the rough. I generate so much club head speed, the ball keeps sucking back off the greens, especially when the greens are running at 13 or so. I look forward to switching over to the new grooves, and being forced to get back my distance and trajectory control, like in the old-school days. It will also be nice to play the great old courses of the Golden Age a little more in-line with the way their designers intended.

Peter

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2009, 11:46:53 AM »
I know in the past when the proposed "competiton ball" was discussed for tournament professionals, several here opined that they didn't like bifurcation and would play that ball if available in their own games.

I just wondered how folks felt about doing the same regarding grooves.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2009, 11:51:32 AM »
I think it's two separate issues....

If a competition ball was declared, I'd play it just to BE COOL.  I sure as hell wouldn't do it out of some hatred for bifurcation.  And the first time I lost a match or some $$$ because of it, off the ball more appropriate for me I would go.

I think a lot of people would treat it that way.. you know, the same guys who used forged blades just try to look like a pro, which of course they cease to look like as soon as a shot is hit?

;D

Regarding specified legal/illegal clubs, for me it all turns on what is legal for what I am going to play.  If they make this bifurcated to the extent described - illegal for USGA but legal for NCGA - then I'd be an idiot not to use whatever works best for me in my competitive events.  Principles fall before losing.

TH

George Pazin

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2009, 11:54:49 AM »
...and intend to get at least 300-400 rounds out of them regardless of whatever Rule shakes out of all this silliness. As little golf as I'm playing nowadays that could take five years or more which is fine by me.

:) I haven't played 300-400 rounds in my lifetime.

My irons are maybe 4 or 5 years old and probably illegal, but I don't think that's keeping anyone up at night.

Tommy: Does this suit make me look fat?

Richard: No, your face does!

- Tommy Boy
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2009, 11:56:35 AM »
Of course, Tom, there's always a higher level of cool:  36 year old forged blades.

I have zero doubt about that.  I also have zero doubt you can hit them reasonably well enough NOT to look like an idiot.

Sadly that's not true for many.

TH

ps - only 36 years old?  You youngin.  I could at any time produce a set that makes those look like Adams Idea.   ;D

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2009, 11:59:48 AM »
I'm 43.  These are the first regular sized clubs my dad ever put in my hand.  I love 'em.  '73 Hogan Directors.  Plus, they match the year of my '73 tii...

Man you must have been huge when you were 7 to play these same irons.

;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back