News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Bethpage Black return their fairways to their intended widths ?

Joe Hancock

Re: When the rain stops, the sun comes out and the winds blow, will
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 08:14:35 PM »
Would Phillip Young be the go to guy to tell us what the intended width is? Because I have no idea what that width should be.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 08:23:51 PM »
Joe,

Having played BPB, I was surprised to see how narrow the fairways were for this Open.

When you combine their narrowness with the brutal rough that borders them, the massive bunkers and the overall length of the course, it's clear that it's beyond the ability of even the best "skilled" golfers to negotiate.

But, since the NY forecast is for rain on Wed, Thur and Fri, I don't see them being mowed this week. ;D

I'd be interested to hear from Craig Currier.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 08:45:37 PM »
Patrick,

I think I heard Phil Young that  there is talk about widening the fairways. Would love to see a stat on how many players hit the fairway on #1.

That said, there is something for the concept of the regular guy being able to play a US Open course and set-up. The place is a mecca now and they will never have enough tee times either way.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 08:49:49 PM »
The width for this years open averaged 4 yards WIDER than in 2002. Add to that the graduated rough on each side and it was VERY playable for the Open at about 35+ yards.

Bethpage has been STRONGLY encouraged to widen the fairways out beyond the Open cut by both the USGA and OTHERS that they have respect for and listen to. I expect they will be gradually widened through the summer months and the hay, otherwise known as Fescue by Johnny Miller whether it actually was or not, will also be greatly reduced to a manageable excess...

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 09:43:26 PM »
Patrick,

I think I heard Phil Young that  there is talk about widening the fairways. Would love to see a stat on how many players hit the fairway on #1.

That said, there is something for the concept of the regular guy being able to play a US Open course and set-up.
The place is a mecca now and they will never have enough tee times either way.

Mike,

I guess it depends upon how in love you are with six hour rounds.

Philip,

I'd like to take the over/under on 35 yards on # 1 and # 2 for starters.
No way were those fairways at 35 yards.
If I get the time on Thursday I'll try to measure them.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 09:45:45 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

Matt_Ward

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 09:52:25 PM »
BB doesn't need to have excessively narrow fairways -- it does what Pat has mentioned -- make slow play a certainty. I'd like to see the Black have wider fairways -- the big par-4's should be no less than 40 yards across. Keep the graduated rough concept but allow the wild grasses beyond the immediate landing areas to grow wild so that the Black has a more natural look -- as hard as many might not believe -- is the way the course looked prior to the big time renovation that took place prior to the '02 US Open.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back