News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Despite Josh and my bitter loss there last August to a pair of cagey veterans, a good time was had by all at our match on the revamped South Course at Olympia Fields. Jeff Goldman, who is on the Green Committee, was the match referee and is the author of this piece that provides an inside glimpse of the machinations ('inside baseball' as Jeff calls it) that went on in getting the work done here.

As many appreciate, private clubs move in fits and starts and there are numerous ways in which a group of well intentioned people ( i.e. a club board) can end up inadvertently driving poor results. Mercifully, this is not one such case. Rather, the project was a resounding success and thus it merits study. Fundamental to developing and protecting great golf course architecture is understanding how clubs function, and Jeff's piece provides detailed insight in this regard.

In measuring the success of the project, there is one clear way to do so, at least to me, and that is that Olympia Fields was able to do with its second course what Winged Foot, Pinehurst, Baltusrol, etc. continually struggle with, namely spreading the play away from its 'big' course. The South Course with its high wall bunkering and clever short par fours makes it quite a distinct playing experience from the North Course but not in a hokey or contrived way. Some have commented that the high mounding of some of the bunker walls is a bit much but look at the old photos from the first vs. Jeff's from today. It appears to me that Smyers correctly captured the penal nature that Bendelow intended for the fairway bunkers. Laid across flat land, you can't go but so deep as the soil isn't sandy so Bendelow (and now Smyers) built the bunker walls up.

Jeff hammers home the point that the peaks of the walls might be aesthitectically controversial but they are another example of form following function when he writes, 'Rather than simply restoring the high faces that many of the bunkers had in prior times, the architects designed the bunker walls with peaks. Was this simply an aesthetic choice?  Not really. Instead, doing this provides good drainage from the bunkers, and, when observed closely during rains, these features direct the water away from the sand, and towards surrounding surface flow.  Who knew? They {Steve Smyers and design partner Patrick Andrews} did.'

Thus, the work was both practical and efficient while also giving a hole like the first its playing interest - in short, what more could a club hope for from its architects?!

Though I am a fan of the North, its two weaknesses are lack of standout par threes and lack of short, teasing par fours. Its strengths are some great long par fours and some wonderful interior movement within many of its greens. The South acts as the perfect foil as it has three short par fours (the sixth, eleventh, and sixteenth) which are multiple option holes and indeed the sixth may well be the most famous of all thirty-six holes. In addition, the twelfth is the most dramatic of the Club's eight par threes, putting a natural landform to perfect use. I hope that the USGA figures out a way to put its two first rate courses to good use but that wouldn't change the bottom line: the Club's members and their guests have two enticing prospects from which to chose each and every day.

After the South re-opened last June, everyone was quick to want to see and play it. More telling though is that Jeff says that the interest level in it hasn't waned a bit in 2009. Indeed, the South is registering nearly as many rounds as the North through May of this year. Hope you enjoy reading Jeff's piece on how it all came to pass from wrestling with which architect to go with through the budgeting process to project completion.

Cheers,

PCCraig

What an awesome write-up, thank you Jeff and Ran.

Very interesting to be able to follow the process along from inception to finish vs. the standard before and after photos.

I have to say, the course before looked like many of the other standard private-CC fare in Chicago, and now has a look that is unique to the rest of the area. (And I mean that in a good way). As another general comment Jeff, it seems you arn't sure that the bunker-style works on the course, from the pictures it seems that it brings a needed texture to an otherwise flat midwestern property.

Would it be safe to say that this is more of a "renovation" than a "restoration?"

A couple other notes;

#2 - What a difference in the two greens!
#3 - The clearing is super here, and the shaping turns it into almost a new hole. 
#11 - The clearing to the right of the tree, opening up a second avenue is a job well done by Steve S., it really turned a somewhat dry hole into a very strategic one quickly.
#14 - That front bunker is very cool.

All in all, a great job well done by all involved! OFCC, with its two worthy courses is just screaming for a US Am now.
H.P.S.

K. Krahenbuhl

Great write up.  Olympia Fields is without question one of the finest clubs in America and the new South course is a big part of the reason why.  I can't wait to get another crack at it.

Doug Wright

Well done Jeff. A comprehensive, insightful essay. Another terrific addition to the GolfClubAtlas.com library.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Jason Topp

Congratulations Jeff.  I particulalr appreciate your description of the approval and budgeting process.  That process is a bit of a mystery to me at my club and I am on the Green Committee.

As to the course - how well are the mounds around the bunkers being received?  It appears to me that one would experience many extremely severe lies on shots that stick around them. 

Minneapolis Golf Club recently updated its bunkers to a similar look and while they are a bit jarring visually, I really like the way they play.  I have played other courses, however, where I thought the effect was too severe.

David Stamm

Thanks for the great presentation, Jeff. The green surrounds look fascinating. If it wasn't before, I can't imagine OF not being considered one of the very best 36 hole clubs in the country now. It seems, as Ran pointed out, that the North and South compliment
each other quite well.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Mark Smolens

Great timing for Jeff's piece.  Played the North on Sunday morning, dodging the lightning siren, and when the rain clouds left, took in the South for my first time post-Smyers/Goldman work.  Mr. G deserves a great deal of credit for his work sheparding this project to completion.

If there's a better day of golf than 36 holes at OF I'd like to experience it.  Others may be as good, but what a wonderful place.  Love the 3rd -- huge upgrade from the boring old version.  Will be very interesting to see the scores to be posted by the CDGA Am players who'll be there on the 22nd.  If they think they're going to tear the place up, they're in for a big surprise.  From the black tees the South may not be as hard as the North, but I'll  bet it's pretty close.

Can't wait for my next visit with Mr. Lavin next month.

tlavin

The work that Jeff Goldman performed at Olympia Fields is a testament both to his commitment and passion for golf course architecture, but also to the phenomenal networking potential for this website.  Jeff is a member at Olympia because he contacted me through this website and became a member.  But he became a "macher" at Olympia by dint of his knowledge, persistence and his communication skills.  When he first joined the club, I thought he might become an unofficial historian, I had no idea that he would have the ability to completely shepherd the renovation of the South Course to completion.  To overcome the political, economic and practical obstacles that he was confronted with was an amazing accomplishment indeed and it's really amazing to think that it may never have happened if Rick Holland didn't ask me to take Ran Morrisset and Mike Keiser out to Olympia Fields about six years ago.  That really put OFCC onto the gca.com radar screen and the rest seemed to flow from there.  I am very proud to have nominated Jeff Goldman for membership and I'm very proud of the work that he has done for our cherished South Course.  Congratulations and thank you, Mr. Goldman.

Eric Smith

Great work Jeff Goldman.

Gosh you gotta love a great 36 hole club.  Possibilities and golf go hand in hand.

C. Squier

Great write-up Jeff....and kudos to your efforts. 

As to how the South plays compared to the North, I just took the last 2 years worth of scores on both and found my average score to be a 79 on North and 82 on South.  I'll play blue or black on North and I've yet to venture to the black tees on South....a little scared still.  If I had a match to play to win, I'm definitely more comfrortable on North.  True, there may be more birdie opportunities on South, but the chances for disaster are equally great(er).  It should be fun to watch some great competitive golf on the South over the next few years.  I have a feeling the scoring compared to North will not go as most would predict. 

Clint

Lou_Duran

Great job- leading the redo and writing the piece- Jeff.  OF was terribly under-appreciated before.  Hopefully that is no longer the case.  Some here may enjoy reading about the challenges in keeping the scope of the work within the budget guidelines.  No doubt you were offered numerous opportunities to make the golf course much "better" by spending a few extra hundred thousand here and there.   
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 04:43:49 PM by Lou_Duran »

Dale Jackson

It is articles like this that make gca.com so interesting and valuable (with apologies to fans of the various Merion threads), here is an article that informs, educates and entertains.  Congratulations Jeff, I know firsthand it takes a lot of thought and work to prepare one of these articles and I applaud your efforts.
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Phil_the_Author

Jeff what makes a great work even more special is when it is a labor of love. That it was for you in the renovation process and continuing on into the writing of this piece is clearly seen.

This is a very, very special piece of writing...

J_ Crisham

Jeff,  Great piece on OFCC South! Amazing where that course was in the past and where it is today-you have left a lasting mark on a great course. I do have a question regarding the par 3 5th. Was there ever any discussion regarding softening the swale on the front left. I spent about 15 minutes on a quiet day trying to hit shots from here-very tough. Just curious. I am playing on Saturday at OFCC-hope to see you there! Still wanting to get you up to the Bev for a game-let me know when it works for you.
                                                                           Wish you well,   Jack

Tim Bert

Great write-up!  I had the pleasure of walking a fair amount of the South with Jeff and a few others last September.  His passion and enthusiasm for the project is obvious.  It's a nice story in writing, and even better told in person.  Based on one play of the North and a limited viewing of the South, I think I'd prefer the South for my every day round.  The membership is very fortunate to have two high quality courses.

mark chalfant

Jeff,

Congratulations on the fabulous  restoration at OFCC South.  I admire your persistence over the length of the project. Your IMO  write up is very fun to read and a valuable learning  tool.  It looks like a lot very interesting holes are draped over pretty terrain at the South Course. Looks like  Smyers and his team  did a nice job recapturing some quirky Bendelow elements. Great work !  sincerely,   

Mark
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 05:21:08 PM by mark chalfant »

Jeff Goldman

Greetings.

Thanks to all for the over-kind words, and glad that people enjoyed the piece.  Unsurprisingly, some of the really good stuff is best told in person.  To answer a couple questions:

Pat, #3 is a completely new hole.  New Green, new tee, everything.  If you look at the picture of old 3, you can see some foliage to the left in front of the tee.  That is the edge of the hill where the new green was built, up to the left.  I think it is a huge improvement, though it makes the South Course one of the rare ones with 2 uphill par-3 holes. One thing I left out is that the architects wanted the area to the left of the 3rd green (and to the left of the 4th green and in a couple other places) maintained in bent grass.  The schedule and weather made that impossible to implement at that time.

Jason, reception of the mounding and bunker style has been overwhelmingly positive.  Only me and a couple others have expressed any concern, and only with regard to the stuff that does not impact play.  Virtually all of the fairway bunkering is perpendicular to the line of play, and works great.  I haven't seen or heard of anyone getting really goofy lies on top, and if it happens once in a great while, too bad. 

Also, we just had our annual four-ball tourney, using both courses, with some interesting results.  We had some very good teams from around the country (including Skip Runnels and Randy Nichols, David Hays and Dan Russo, and Jason Mandel's brother played -- Jason, how did it go over?).  Scoring was virtually the same on North and South, though since South played par 71, the scoring on that course was lower by 1 in relation to par.  Apparently it was a lot of fun on South with all the options and elephants in the greens.  Next up is the CDGA Amatuer, which will be held on the course since member Jerry Williams is President of the CDGA.

Anyways, if anyone else has questions about the piece or the work, I'll be happy to answer.

Jeff

« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 01:20:06 PM by Jeff Goldman »
That was one hellacious beaver.

Jason Mandel

Greetings.

Also, we just had our annual four-ball tourney, using both courses, with some interesting results.  We had some very good teams from around the country (including Skip Runnels and Randy Nichols, David Hays and Dan Russo, and Jason Mandel's brother played -- Jason, how did it go over?).  Scoring was virtually the same on North and South, though since South played par 71, the scoring on that course was lower by 1 in relation to par.  Apparently it was a lot of fun on South with all the options and elephants in the greens.  Next up is the CDGA Amatuer, which will be held on the course since member Jerry Williams is President of the CDGA.

Jeff,

My brother and his friend had a fantastic time at OFCC.  My brother actually called me after his practice round and said "the south course is the better course".    They loved both courses though.  They played the North course the first day of the tournament and shot a 64 and were 1 shot off the lead.  They had heard that the North course always plays tougher then the South so I think they were pretty confident going into the last day of the tournament.  Unfortunately for them they had a rough day on the South and shot 76.  12 full shots higher than their score on the North!  Now a lot of that is attributed to their own play, but I'm sure the greens on the South had a lot to do with it as well.  They ended up finishing 6th in the tournament and are already making plans to play again next year.

They were incredibly impressed with the entire facility, from the locker rooms, to the golf courses, to the staff and the food. 

Jason
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

Jeff Goldman

Jason,

Thanks for the report.  Glad they had a good time, and sorry I missed it.  The lower scores on North were by design.  The year before we did a normal tournament set up and the wind came up, leading to some really, really tough scoring conditions.  It's supposed to be fun and they didn't want a repeat, so if anything made sure to err on the benign side.  At all costs they did NOT want a death march out there.

We do "group" dinners every tuesday, and wanted to give everyone the flavor of those, which I heard went over pretty well.

Jeff
That was one hellacious beaver.

John Mayhugh

Just now had a chance to read Jeff's profile.  Extremely well written and a prime example of what value this site brings to those of us interested in GCA.  I was fortunate to play the North last year with Jon Winick (along with Tim Bert & Alan Gard) and Jeff was thoughtful enough to give us a tour of some of the work on the South.  I knew then I would want to come back and this profile demands a visit!

Great work.  Thanks for sharing some of the story with us.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 04:20:39 PM by John Mayhugh »

Mark Chaplin

Along with 9 fellow Deal members we are visiting Olympia Fields next Saturday to play a match organised by Jeff. The work on the South course looks amazing, it is sad how the course had been dumbed down but the restoration looks fabulous. I can't wait to see the work, the members must be very proud of what they've achieved. I imagine there are members at many other clubs who will visit OFCC and use it as a template for their own restorations.
Cave Nil Vino

Jim Colton

Just got back from 36 holes of my first visit to OF and had a great time. I even got the chance to meet Jeff as he was in the group ahead on the South.  The South was great fun.  Jeff and the members should be proud of what they have there.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back