News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Druzisky

Woods Dubai Bunkered
« on: June 05, 2009, 12:31:34 PM »
I caught this article pertaining to Woods' project in Dubai.  Apparently all brands are subject to the current financial fiasco.  Unfortunate as it would be great to see this project in it's full glory.  Maybe they will be able to get the course to that point at least.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/jun/04/tiger-woods-dubai-course
or
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/jun/04/tiger-woods-dubai-course

With this in mind, after this course will we see any of his other designs make it to completion?  I have not paid much attention to the others lately and am not sure of their status.

Also, is any one on the site involved with this project or Woods firm?

Also of note is the identification of woods as a "long time aficionado of Golf Architecture".  Aren't all tour players? ;)

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: Woods Dubai Bunkered
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 04:30:16 PM »
TW's course in Mexico is having problems too. There was a prior thread on that situation.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 04:36:06 PM »
Does this mean his first course to open will be High Carolina near Asheville, NC?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 04:57:20 PM »
High Carolina is still working on permits, last I heard ... they haven't started construction yet.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 06:22:18 PM »
Even harder to make the math work when you are paying ridiculous sums for Tiger's name.

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 08:32:07 PM »
So does this mean that there are 0 Tiger Woods courses under construction or sh=cheduled to open?
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

David Druzisky

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 08:44:00 PM »
I don't believe the course is not opening.  It only says they will postpone it and unveil it later.  ???  Many times course timelines are dictated by progress or lack thereof in the overall development.  If they have slowed construction on other key complimentary facilities maybe they are in no hurry to open. You can spend a lot of money hurrying to opening.

Sam Maryland

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 09:34:12 PM »
I found this quote interesting, Tiger made it at The Memorial this week:

"We’re making sure we get the holes completed—the holes we have,” he said. “I think we have three holes right now.”

==========================================

So it was 3 holes, right?  Or was 2, or maybe 4?  So confusing, figuring out how many holes are under construction...

The article says the NC course should be done in mid-'10, I'll be surprised if they get a ball in the air before '12 - if ever.

Jonathan Webb

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 12:38:19 PM »
http://www.tigerwoodsdesign.com/Global/Courses/Al%20Ruwaya.aspx

Renderings for each hole can be found at the bottom left of the page.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009, 01:12:44 PM »
This article doesn't jibe with another report I saw that had these Mid-East cities uder construction in the desert amp-ing up production, taking advantage of the nearly 30-40 % decrease in certain material costs.

I'm not saying Donegan is wrong, but the vagueness in justifications along with the conflict of the other report means someone is.

55 million acres? Could someone put that into context?

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Craig Sweet

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2009, 01:31:14 PM »
"55 million acres? Could someone put that into context? "

I find that difficult to believe.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Jonathan Webb

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2009, 02:05:58 PM »
The article has a typo as the portion of the Dubailand development that includes "The Tiger Woods Dubai" is to be 55,000,000 sq. ft. (=1300 acres)

The Tiger Woods Dubai is a part of the Dubailand development.

See link below for more information:

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2009/10/billionaires-2009-richest-people_Abdulla-Al-Futtaim_Y6MM.html

Jonathan Webb

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 08:49:54 PM »
FYI

The Tiger Woods Dubai, a member of Tatweer, today affirmed that consistent progress continues on its centerpiece, the Al Ruwaya Golf Club, and confirmed it is committed to the completion of the first golf course designed by Tiger Woods Design.

A number of key benchmarks have been achieved at the landmark golf course, including bulk earthworks of 25 million cubic feet of earth, rough shaping of 18 holes, and the detailed shaping of 10 holes. Three holes – 4, 5, and 6 – have been completed with an impressive 1,500 yards of grass in three different varieties obtained from Atlanta, Georgia, in the US. Construction is progressing on the streams and lakes as well, comprising 3.3 million square feet of water features. Meanwhile, the course already boasts over 2,200 trees that have been planted to complement the evolving landscape.

The Tiger Woods Dubai has contracted IMG Course Management, a world leader in providing golf course management services, to run the Al Ruwaya Golf Club. In addition, Patrick Bowers, who brings 20 years of operating experience in the global golf industry, has been appointed as General Manager of the golf club. The Board of Governors for the club is also in the process of being established.

The strong partnership between Tiger Woods Design and The Tiger Woods Dubai remains the key to realizing success on the ground. Bryon Bell, President of Tiger Woods Design, said: “We are very pleased by the progress that continues to be made at Al Ruwaya and are looking forward to celebrating the course’s full completion.”

Abdulla Al Gurg, Project Director of The Tiger Woods Dubai, said: “The Tiger Woods Dubai is an essential part of Dubai’s Strategic Plan to drive tourism to the region and will be completed in line with the new market demand. We are entirely committed to completing the project to the highest standards of quality. The opening timeline will be announced in conjunction with IMG and Tiger Woods Design closer to the opening date.”

While work continues on the course, construction has commenced on the 132kV electrical substation. To date over 6,500 tonnes of concrete and 460 tonnes of steel have been used to raise the structure that will be located on a plot spanning 3,800 sq feet. All major equipment for the substation is scheduled to be installed shortly.

Located at Dubailand, the landmark leisure, tourism and entertainment destination, The Tiger Woods Dubai will feature dramatic elevation changes and lush landscaping with over 11,000 trees and 140,000 shrubs. It will also boast an overall design that will challenge and entertain golfers of all playing abilities.

Kirk Gill

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 10:24:16 PM »
Why is it that I read that last article and find myself almost sickened by the very things they are touting and boasting about? Is it wrong of me, when I think of Tiger's involvement in this project, to be disappointed in the man? I don't know what I expected him to do, but this whole project is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. That said, I'd never be going to Dubai to play it anyway. C'est la vie.
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Scott Macpherson

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 10:15:45 AM »
'25 million cubic feet of earth'.... Is that the most about of dirt (or sand) that has ever been moved by man to build a golf course?

Extraordinary!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2009, 10:35:26 AM »
25 million cubic feet is not quite 3 million cubic yards ... typical Dubai, making it sound like more than it is!

3 million cubic yards is not a record by any means.  There are tons of Japanese and Korean courses which moved more than that, and at least a few in America.  How much did Bayonne move?  Or that course in Boston they built with fill from the Big Dig?  Or The Madison Club?

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2009, 10:37:53 AM »
'25 million cubic feet of earth'.... Is that the most about of dirt (or sand) that has ever been moved by man to build a golf course?

Extraordinary!

But that's only 750,000 m2... Doesn't sound like enough to me when compared with the rest of the scale of the development... Tiger Woods must be a minimalist  ;)

Tom_Doak

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2009, 12:26:06 PM »
Whoops, Ally is right ... you divide by 27, not by 9!

And to think I used to be really good at math!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back