News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Amarnek

Proposal for St. Louis GCA Gathering
« on: June 03, 2009, 12:14:41 PM »
It was suggested in a previous Westwood thread that we should have a St. Louis area gathering, which I believe would be a fine idea.
I would be happy to host the event at Westwood CC.  I understand that I can have up to 11 guests to play on a weekday.  Perhaps we could play in the morning and then have lunch afterwards.
Let me know if there is interest sometime in mid-late July or August, as I'm pretty full until then.  Plus, it'll be nice and hot and humid!
David

Steve Pozaric

Re: Proposal for St. Louis GCA Gathering
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 10:50:20 PM »
David:

Thanks for the offer.  Count me in as an interested party.  It would, of course, depend on the day.  I am not sure what others think, but afternoon might be better schedule wise.  That means the temps would be significantly worse, however. 
Steve Pozaric

Jeff_Stettner

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 01:00:56 AM »
I will gladly attend if I am free. I will also offer a watering hole (that is a bit of a drive -- Lafayette Square) for any post-round discussions.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 09:24:36 AM »
For you St Louis fellas, what is the deal with St Albans Tavern Creek? I found it totally unwalkable and the routing was strange to say the least. In addition, I am not sure a high handicapper would finish some of the holes. There were some really good golf holes thrown in, but wow what a disappointment. Unfortunately I did not get a chance to play Lewis & Clark, but that looked much more appealing.
Mr Hurricane

PCCraig

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 09:39:03 AM »
On a side note. The first time I played golf in STL it was in late July. When I came back in to the locker room after the round, I was literally soaked from head to toe with sweat and I looked like I just went for a swim. Another time I only made it 3 (!) innings at a Cards game before the heat got to us and we had to leave after 2 beers, a bottle of water, and a milkshake over the same period couldn't keep me cool.

Geez it's hot and humid down there in the summer!
H.P.S.

Tom Walsh

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 12:00:46 PM »
David- very generous. I would love to join the group if I can. West county does hold the heat very well! I'll keep watching for updates. Tom
"vado pro vexillum!"

David Amarnek

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 07:32:50 PM »
Great to hear from you guys.
Afternoons would be fine with me and Jeff's offer is very much appreciated.  Fridays would work best for me, but I'm flexible given a few weeks' notice.
I'm in Philly now for my brother's member-guest and he experienced a STL summer first-hand last year when we played SLCC and Westwood three days in a row.  We walked St. Louis with the temp. > 100* and the humidity just as high.  Brutal!  I've lived here since '81 and still can't get used to it. 
As for St. Alban's, I don't understand the high regard it has among folks in town.  I think there are some decent holes on both 18's, but no way does it deserve top 5 in the state, as I've seen in the past.  It's not in my top five in the STL metro area.
#1  SLCC
#2  Westwood
#3  Old Warson
#4  Meadowbrook
#5  Glen Echo/ Bellerive

Have not played Fox Run, Persimmon, Gateway and others.

I'll re-visit this in a few weeks and we'll set a date.

John Shamleffer

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 11:52:43 AM »
I have had the opportunity to play all of the golf courses in the St. Louis District.  By far my favorite is St. louis CC, it is a fun course to play and can be quite a challenge, without feeling beat up.  I also enjoy Fox Run for its setting and the layout of the golf course, just play it from the reasonable tees.  I agree that the main difficulty with the Tavern Creek course at St. Alban's is that it is not very walkable, I enjoy the course because you have to think your way around and not just pull out your driver also if you don't hit it straight its not for you. 

My favorite course to play in St. Louis considering all are in good shape, which is a challenge here are:
1. St. Louis
2. Fox Run
3. Westwood
4. Old Warson
5. Bellrive
6. Norwood West
7. Algonguin
8. Glen Echo

John Shamleffer

David Amarnek

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 10:25:13 PM »
John,
I've had chances to play Norwood, but have yet to.  Hopefully at the Evans Scholar event later this summer.
I used to belong to Algonquin; it's quite fun to play... awfully tough for a 6300 yarder, narrow with challenging greens.  I understand it's closing in August for a complete revision of those greens.
I've got to get to Fox Run as well.
Boone Valley is another enjoyable course.

Joe McCormac

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 11:24:49 PM »
Completely agree with John's comments regarding SLCC.  The par 5s offer so much. 

The 5th, the punchbowl green as a signature CBM feature...the newly created "run-up" area on the right side of the green gives the player the ability to bound the ball onto the green.

The 9th offers quite a challenge of the tee with OB right , but the hole really shines with CBMs incredible use of the "diagonal hazard" as the creek moves from near left to far right.

The 13th is my favorite true 3 shot par 5.  The fairway feeds the ball right and again the diagonal feature of the fairway bunkering demands 2nd shot precision.

The 15th is short in the modern game, but the cross bunkers, approx 330 off the tee, and the green provide a challenge if the fairway is not found.

David Amarnek

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 10:36:39 AM »
I'd like to propose a few dates for the GCA gathering.  It would be fine to play in the afternoon and perhaps have drinks afterwards, either at Westwood or we can take up Jeff's offer.
Tuesday July 20 or 27.
Friday July 24 or 31.
Up to 11 people can play, so if those dates don't work out for the majority, we could schedule it for the fall.  Going back to Merion for the Walker Cup, other than that, I should be free on Tuesday PM's and Fridays.
I'll be heading to Chicago at the end of this week for matches with mates from RCPGC vs. Olympia Fields, Flossmoor and Chicago.  I've never played in Chicago and am looking forward to it very much.  The second week of July we are going to Charlevoix, Michigan... any suggestions for play nearby?  I've heard Boyne is nice.
Let me know what you think.

damarnek@gmail.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back