News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rob Rigg

Pumpkin Ridge - Witch Hollow - Link to Photo Tour
« on: May 31, 2009, 01:53:58 AM »
Hello Treehouse,

I had the opportunity to play Witch Hollow on Friday and I thought the course was spectacular (it was 90 and sunny - we're having quite the May in Portland). As a Ghost Pass holder, I am fortunate enough to play most of my local golf at Ghost Creek which is a really solid course in its own rite. Witch Hollow, however, is my favorite of the two and I think that Cupp did a masterful job in the routing as he maximized the use of the property and elevation changes within it, to create a very strategic layout, especially for this part of the country where many courses are inundated with trees which lead to a very penal design that simply calls for a straight drive and straight approach to a back to front sloping green.

If you are interested in reading through a fairly detailed photo tour please click the link below. Per usual, my photos are too big to load directly onto this site so apologies for the extra click.

http://www.thewalkinggolfer.com/Witch_Hollow.html

John Handley

Re: Pumpkin Ridge - Witch Hollow - Link to Photo Tour
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 10:49:15 AM »
I was there Wed through Friday and I remember some of those evil pin placements on Friday.  The weather was superb and the golf course was in great shape especially considering they just punched the greens a couple of weeks before.  The greens should get a little firmer and faster throughout the summer.  Pumpkin Ridge is truly a special place.  Two great golf courses, most of the members walk the golf course and the setting is so peaceful.  No homes built around the courses so all you hear are birds chirping and a few balls hitting trees.  I have been fortunate enough to have been a member there for the past 8 years.
2024 Line Up: Spanish Oaks GC, Cal Club, Cherokee Plantation, Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale New & Old, CC of the Rockies, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Berkshire Red, Walton Heath Old, Austin GC,

David Druzisky

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 10:58:17 AM »
Nice presentation Rob.  It has been a very nice May over here in Boise too but those photos are telling me to head west to find good golf!

It is hard to believe the 20 year anniversary for those courses will be coming up soon.  I worked on that project when I was a youngster and working for Cupp and it does seem like a lifetime ago.

Rob, does Fought get much credit over there for the design on those courses?

Looking at the photos I would guess some may chime in about the bunkering having little style or character.  Positioning looks strong as I recall it was.

DbD

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 11:22:27 AM »
Thanks Rob,

I have very found memories of playing at Pumpkin in the 90s. On Witch 4 and 6 are two of my favorites, while the par 5 holes have a great mix of variety and challenge.

In 96 I took a week of vacation and went out every day during the Amateur. Even then, it was amazing to see the shots Tiger was hitting. Flying the center bunkers on 9 while 95+% of the field had to go around. My favorite was his goal post irons over the two huge firs that protect the right side of th epar 5 11th....great memories.
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Rob Rigg

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 11:50:02 PM »
David,

John Kirk and some of the other long time members at Witch would know about how much credit Fought got on the design of Witch and Ghost. Maybe they can chime in.

I know Fought designed the Reserve - South course which was his first solo effort (I think).

From recent photos of his work in AZ and Utah, his skills as an archie continue to improve.

John Kirk

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 12:39:31 AM »
Hi guys.  I don't know how much credit John Fought gets.  When I discuss the course with friends, we generally talk about Bob Cupp doing the design, and rarely discuss John Fought's role.  I guess we assume that Fought was just getting started.

Perhaps David Druzisky has some insight that he is willing to share.

I played today.  The course is in nice shape.  The greens are unusually yellow with poa flowers.  Our superintendent is not applying seed suppressor this year for a variety of reasons, while controlling green speeds with mowing and rolling. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back