News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

St Enodoc in spring, with pics galore
« on: May 29, 2009, 04:45:26 PM »
I've given St Enodoc a lot of thought since I played there, and my grievances have softened. I have to take some of the blame myself for making my way around the course so obsessed as I was with pencil and scorecard. In hindsight, playing match play or merely hitting golf shots and enjoying each one as it was played might have been a better way to "consume the potion".

The more I think of it the more I feel the pull, luring me back to make peace with the holes I disliked and fall deeper in love with the 1st, 6th, 8th, 14th and final three holes.

1st - a par five where blindness and width combine to give you challenging shots that offer a sign of what's to come, with enough room to make sure the opening hole shouldn't wreck your card. The green is tantalisingly raised above the fairway, with enough movement to keep you thinking with flatstick in hand.

2nd - a par 4.5, listed on the card as a four. Tight off the tee, and then a long iron to a green that's hard to hit and stick. In reality, if you walk off the 2nd green with an aggregate of 10, you're going well. Pictured are the view from the tee, and from the green looking back. The tee shoty is played directly into the rising sun.

3rd - another blind tee shot greets you, the fairway running downhill and left around a mammoth dune typical of the Rock site, across a road and over a wall (lots of features). Right is OOB, left is lost. The green (seen from behind) is full of movement, not the type at bashes you over the head, but rather leaves you scratching your head after putting a good stroke on a 15-footer, only to see it break three times as much as you thought it would - perhaps the opposite way!

4th - apparently I'm the only person in the English-speaking world who doesn't rate this hole. Evidenced by the fact this pic - taken as an afterthought after I drove into the greenside cabbage - was the only I took of the hole. I am but a padowan!! If they cut the left-hand rough shorter, would the hole tempt sufficuently for the greenside traps to come into play more?

5th - this short par three has bunkers lurking behind the green that don't immediately identify themselves to you on the tee. The green is much steeper than it looks, looking flat compared to the terrain surrounding it, but is far from flat. Staying below the hole while ensuring you carry to the putting surface is the challenge.

6th - the Himalaya hole. What more do I need to say?! The drive is amazing, the second shot will stay in your mind until you draw your dying breath, and the greensite is just as brutal - so it's a good thing you aren't likely to see it until after you've hit your approach!

7th - another f**king blind drive?! For f**k sake! At this point I feel drained. So much concentration in such a short space of time. But the brilliance of the hole, in my opinion, is how open the hole reveals itself to be when you emerge through the dunes. A good drive will leave you a wedge to a flat green, and an awe-inspiring view over Padstow that stirs the soul.

8th - similar much to the 8th at Deal? A mid iron to a green surrounded by pots. The view of meadow beyond shows in detail just how - as with Trevose over the estuary - the line between links and meadow is so crisp and stark.

9th - Laying back off the tee is wise, as the closer you drive to the dune that crosses the fairway, the more your view is obscured, and your depth perception is toyed with.

10th - a controversial 467yd par four. I'll go on record as not being a fan. As a two-shotter it's brutal (the fairways at the driving zone is 8yds wide!) and as a three-shotter the landing zones are too wide to pose much challenge. No one likes being forced to hit three six irons.

11th - a par three calling for extreme accuracy - OOB left, bunker right and a beautiful view off in the distance distracting you as best it can.

12th - a hedge encroaching to the fairway from the left obscures the view of the landing zone and makes what is in reality a pretty roomy drive feel claustrophobic. The green's movement demands the approach be struck to a precise yardage. Doesn't look like much from the tee, but what a great hole.

13th - the first of back-to-back uphill short dogleg right par fours with OOB left. This one to a plateau green defended at the back by two bunkers. Built more on meadow than links, it's a good use of the land.

Take a break - Take a deep breath and check that view out. The Camel Estuary runs into the Atlantic, the old church in the foreground. You'd hand over a greenfee for the views alone.

14th - a forced carry to a heavily-cambered fairway, and a green so funky a modern architect would get reamed for building, but somehow it fits the lay of the land. My only gripe is that the running approach is nigh on difficult to play, and in such a high-wind site atop the hill, it would be a nice option to have.

15th - this par three has shades of the 5th, but is sufficiently different by playing downhill. The road directly in front of the green brings a touch of luck into the result, but, as they say "it's all there in front of you", and so's the view.

16th - this par five, playing over a rollercoaster crumpled fairway, has a new green that sits naturally in a gently-sloping duneside adjoining the water. As with the 14th, the running approach is stymied slightly by the length of the grass and angle of the land on the uphill side of the putting surface. I obviously never played the old hole, but this is a genuine three-shotter - perhaps the only one (the 1st and 10th ares for shorter hitters) for all golfers. The bunkers await a shot hit weakly from the hanging lie you're likely to encounter on the approach. As you walk to the 17th tee, the view over the 16th takes your breath away.

17th - much of the putting surface on this 200yd par three hides behind the left-hand dune, and a ripple cutting through the green centre adds to the need for accuracy. The best par three on the course, in my book.

18th - this par four shares all the fantastic attributes of the adjoining 1st - rollicking dunes, some room to miss and a hell of a second shot to the green atop a dune - a gentler version of the shot you've just hit on the 17th, albeit with more running options.

I will make a point of getting back to St Enodoc before I leave the UK, and next time, the pencil stays zipped away, and I won't be taking a scorecard.

A par 69, but at no point dows this feel like "a short course".
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 04:48:55 PM by Scott Warren »

James Boon

Re: St Enodoc in spring, with pics galore
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 10:40:14 AM »
Scott,

Many thanks for the photos of St Enodoc. I'm glad your grievances have softened a little, but I can see a few things are still annoying you... I love the short par 4 fourth so its a shame you havent any other pictures, and I'm one of the mad buggers that actually enjoys the thrill of blind shots, where as you seem not too? (which means Painswick will be fun!!!  ;D ) As for the tenth, the main thing I remember, and that really annoyed me, was the number of walkers just wandering along the footpath down the middle of the fairway, towards Betjeman's church!

Thanks again for the photos,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell, Brora, Parkstone, Cavendish, Hallamshire, Sandmoor, Moortown, Elie, Crail, St Andrews (Himalayas & Eden), Chantilly, M, Hardelot Les Pins

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Dunlop_White

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 12:34:45 PM »
That Himalaya Hole is fascinating. I love it! Please tell me though. Do you drive it over the Himalaya bunker or is your approach shot to the green over the Himalaya bunker? I cannot discern this from the pictures.

Scott Warren

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 01:13:59 PM »
For a mere mortal, the drive is short of the Himalaya, and as far left as you can go without falling off the left side of the dune. As far as I could tell, the ideal drive is right behind the small bunker on the left. If you can park your drive there, you'll get a view of the green.

If you can fly it 320, by all means- over the dune is king! ;D

Scott Warren

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 01:29:17 PM »
Many thanks for the photos of St Enodoc. I'm glad your grievances have softened a little, but I can see a few things are still annoying you... I love the short par 4 fourth so its a shame you havent any other pictures, and I'm one of the mad buggers that actually enjoys the thrill of blind shots, where as you seem not too? (which means Painswick will be fun!!!  ;D )

There may be one other pic of the 4th, I'll have another look on my camera. But I'm not sure. I do like blind shots: the approach to 3 at Deal, the tee shot to 8 and 9 @ The Addington, the tee shots on 4 and 10 at Royal Zoute, 14 @ Trevose, 5 @ NSW, but I thought it was too much at St Enodoc, and combined with narrowness where a wider landing spot (such as at the 3rd) would have kept the ball in play, but made par almost impossible. I guess I see blind shots the same way as Jagerbombs - awesome in moderation, but very painful when you have to many ;D
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 02:18:56 PM by Scott Warren »

Garland Bayley

Re: St Enodoc in spring, with pics galore New
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 11:08:52 PM »
I've given St Enodoc a lot of thought since I played there, and my grievances have softened. I have to take some of the blame myself for making my way around the course so obsessed as I was with pencil and scorecard. In hindsight, playing match play or merely hitting golf shots and enjoying each one as it was played might have been a better way to "consume the potion".

The more I think of it the more I feel the pull, luring me back to make peace with the holes I disliked and fall deeper in love with the 1st, 6th, 8th, 14th and final three holes.

The 08/09 Winter Tour of England concluded with a round at St Enodoc.  There are blind shots, heroic carries, all manner and style of greens which are wonderfully contoured, flat holes, wildly undulating holes and at least one hugely controversial hole.  This Cornwall gem on Daymer Bay is among a small handful of my favourite courses which I also believe to be among the best I have played.  It is difficult to praise the quality of this course too much. An awful lot of great design is packed into this 6100 yard dynamo which surrounds St Enodoc Church, whose graveyard is the final resting place of Sir John Betjeman.  It is ironic that the dunes which created such a memorable course were at the same time responsible for burying the chapel of ease.  It wasn't until the mid 19th century that the chapel was uncovered and restoration begun.  The namesake, St Enodoc (or St Gwinnodock), is said to have baptised converts at the nearby Jesus Well. 

I have long wondered about the pedigree of St Enodoc.  We know that Braid (1907, 1937), Fowler (1923) and Simpson (1933) all had a hand in the design.  Very little has been altered since Braid’s 1937 visit and the biggest change has probably been the 16th. The green was recently pushed back some 50 yards or so behind the old green, making this a stout 3-shotter.  While I question the rationale for this move, I am a fan of the new hole.  Is it better than the old, probably not, but the change is well done.  Anyway, back to the issue of Braid, Fowler and Simpson.  It would seem that #s 1, 8, 10, 11, 12 & 18 are not Braid holes and that the rest are in some form or another.  I shall select the 10th first to clear away because it’s the easiest to deal with.  This is the sole remaining hole from the original 1891 design and it happens to be THE controversial hole on the course.  I am a great admirer of this hole and nothing I saw this trip has changed my mind.  This is one of the great par 4s in golf even if earning a 4 is most unlikely for mere mortals. 

Now we come to the question of #s 1 & 18.  I couldn’t say for sure who designed these two holes.  The 18th was reversed by Braid to its present configuration, but the green has heavy hints of Simpson involvement.  Knowing Fowler greens, I would guess that Simpson also had something to do with the first as well because of the interior contours which Fowler didn’t tend to produce.  In fact, and not to stray too far from the question, I would say Simpson may very well have altered many greens because they have rolls and flow which I haven’t seen often done by Braid or Fowler. 

For the same reasons as above, my guess is Simpson had a hand in #s 8 and 12.  Additionally, I don’t think Fowler would ring a par 3 with bunkers like the 8th is.  #11 is a bit of a different matter.  This green is very different from many on the course.  It is flat and running away from the tee.  With the oob on the left, making the recovery very difficult from the right, but seemingly innocent enough, has Fowler written all over it. 

It must be remembered that these are all only guesses on my part so please take them with a pinch of salt.  It could very well be that Simpson made alterations on Fowler’s routing changes for all of these holes.  If I was a betting man, this is what I would bet on if given good odds.

ChurchRouting by Garland Bayley, on Flickr
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 11:48:03 PM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 11:11:00 PM »
Church1 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

1st - a par five where blindness and width combine to give you challenging shots that offer a sign of what's to come, with enough room to make sure the opening hole shouldn't wreck your card. The green is tantalisingly raised above the fairway, with enough movement to keep you thinking with flatstick in hand.

The 1st gives the golfer an excellent idea of what to expect for the day; heaving ground punctuated with tricky greens.

After hitting over the elephant's grave yard the ball pictured in the fairway shows what is left.  On many days, this is a very reachable par 5.

The false front is very evident from the fairway.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 11:50:36 PM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 11:14:10 PM »
Church2 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

2nd - a par 4.5, listed on the card as a four. Tight off the tee, and then a long iron to a green that's hard to hit and stick. In reality, if you walk off the 2nd green with an aggregate of 10, you're going well. Pictured are the view from the tee, and from the green looking back. The tee shoty is played directly into the rising sun.

The second is a magnificent hole.  The play is left off the tee to gain the best angle on this legger right.  Any approach from the right must contend with a very deep bunker which is well hidden. 

Even at this distance, the true terrors of this hazard can't be seen.

Uggggghhhh!!!

« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 11:52:00 PM by Garland Bayley »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 11:17:09 PM »
Church3 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

3rd - another blind tee shot greets you, the fairway running downhill and left around a mammoth dune typical of the Rock site, across a road and over a wall (lots of features). Right is OOB, left is lost. The green (seen from behind) is full of movement, not the type at bashes you over the head, but rather leaves you scratching your head after putting a good stroke on a 15-footer, only to see it break three times as much as you thought it would - perhaps the opposite way!

The great opening sequence continues on the 3rd.  Even after playing the course several times I am perplexed at what to do on the tee.  I know its very easy to leak one down the hill right and oob or hit it a driver on the screws and end up in the road where it bisects the fairway at about 300 yards out.  The confusion created on the tee has me convinced this is a great hole. 

Not to be outdone by the tee shot, the approach is testing due to the target being small and sloping front to back.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 11:53:11 PM by Garland Bayley »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 11:19:32 PM »
Church4 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

4th - apparently I'm the only person in the English-speaking world who doesn't rate this hole. Evidenced by the fact this pic - taken as an afterthought after I drove into the greenside cabbage - was the only I took of the hole. I am but a padowan!! If they cut the left-hand rough shorter, would the hole tempt sufficuently for the greenside traps to come into play more?

The 4th is another head scratcher off the tee, except unlike the 3rd, we can see all the options.  This is quite possibly one of the very best drivable par 4s in existence.  For the brave, the ideal shot is to play right of the green on top of a narrow plateau which feeds into the green.  The risk involved is the boundary wall can easily be carried if the shot has any hint of a push.

Being an aggressive SOB, I wanted to get my ball on the plateau and did successfully.  However, I went a bit too far and couldn't use the natural slope off the wall to get close to the hole.  The best I could hope for was getting it to within 10 feet left of the hole unless I wanted to skim a shot off the wall - I elected to take my medicine.

For anybody trying to take the direct route, these bunkers and a not so grand angle await.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 11:54:24 PM by Garland Bayley »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 11:21:53 PM »
Church5 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

5th - this short par three has bunkers lurking behind the green that don't immediately identify themselves to you on the tee. The green is much steeper than it looks, looking flat compared to the terrain surrounding it, but is far from flat. Staying below the hole while ensuring you carry to the putting surface is the challenge.

One thing rarely mentioned about St Enodoc is the variety of tees which concentrate on creating width off the tee.  This is huge benefit for any club.  As you can see, the 5th is a shortish par 3, but the the biggest difficulty is in dealing with the poor angle this tee provides.  There has been talk of Simpson designing this hole, but I suspect Simpson would have used an existing green site because maps clearly indicate Braid used this area for his first rendition of St Enodoc in 1907.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 11:55:53 PM by Garland Bayley »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 11:24:14 PM »
Church6 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

6th - the Himalaya hole. What more do I need to say?! The drive is amazing, the second shot will stay in your mind until you draw your dying breath, and the greensite is just as brutal - so it's a good thing you aren't likely to see it until after you've hit your approach!

Whenever I visit St Enodoc I have nearly an uncontrollable desire to try and earn a good lie down the left rather than play the hole conventionally. 

As if that Himalaya isn't enough, someone thought to slap in a feeder bunker down the left - which can't be seen from the tee.

This isn't a bad place to hit a drive!

A look at the raised green which looks a punchbowl, but many shots won't come back down if hit long.  The chip down this slope is very, very quick.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 11:56:55 PM by Garland Bayley »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 11:26:43 PM »
Church7 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

7th - another f**king blind drive?! For f**k sake! At this point I feel drained. So much concentration in such a short space of time. But the brilliance of the hole, in my opinion, is how open the hole reveals itself to be when you emerge through the dunes. A good drive will leave you a wedge to a flat green, and an awe-inspiring view over Padstow that stirs the soul.

That concludes an epic start which any course would be proud to claim as it's own.  That isn't to say the upcoming holes are lacking, because they are most definitely full of character and excitement.  The 7th takes us over a series of dunes which isn't an onerous carry, but we are mindful of what a foozle can do to our card.

The approach after a badly flayed drive.  We must be mindful not to take on this flag because the green runs hard right to a swale if we are slightly off-line.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 11:58:21 PM by Garland Bayley »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 11:28:34 PM »
Church8 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

8th - similar much to the 8th at Deal? A mid iron to a green surrounded by pots. The view of meadow beyond shows in detail just how - as with Trevose over the estuary - the line between links and meadow is so crisp and stark.

#8 takes us to the edge of the links.  Beyond is the sort of meadow land which #s 13 & 14 play over. 

Here is a look at #8 green with #6 and the dunes we play over for the seventh in the background.  On my first visit to St Enodoc I didn't fancy trying to hold the green with a 25 mph wind at my back.  So I cleverly played right of the hole only to find two hidden pots which are much worse to be in than the front bunkers.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 12:05:55 AM by Garland Bayley »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 11:31:23 PM »
Church9 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

9th - Laying back off the tee is wise, as the closer you drive to the dune that crosses the fairway, the more your view is obscured, and your depth perception is toyed with.

The ninth is a dead straight hole which takes the golfer to the base of Brea Hill.  Its little bits n' bobs of design like this which I enjoy the most.  Many players will cheat to the left side thinking that what can't be seen off right from the tee can't be good.  However, this angle leaves a sloping lie which encourages a hook.  Guess what, that wall behind the green comes around and a hook is a shorter carry to oob.  I wish architects did more of this sort of subtle design which, granted, will pass unnoticed by many golfers, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be done.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 12:11:30 AM by Garland Bayley »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 11:34:16 PM »
Church10 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

10th - a controversial 467yd par four. I'll go on record as not being a fan. As a two-shotter it's brutal (the fairways at the driving zone is 8yds wide!) and as a three-shotter the landing zones are too wide to pose much challenge. No one likes being forced to hit three six irons.

Now for the back 9 and what better place to have a controversial hole than one which often requires a wait due to the public footpath.  I found it most interesting to listen to my playing partners discuss what to do during the wait.  There was no consensus! One even thought he could carry the  hill directly in front of the tee despite my assurances that he had two chances, slim and none. 

I hit a corking drive into the neck of the fairway and still had a blind 200 yard approach.  Is it unfair?  To be honest, I don't think the answer to that question has any bearing on the merits of this hole or any other. 

Once around  the hill one can see that the lay of the land will direct a swinging hook to a preferable resting place to the grave yard. This is a magnificent hole that should be accepted for what it is regardless of the par label.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 12:12:38 AM by Garland Bayley »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2012, 11:37:11 PM »
Church11 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

11th - a par three calling for extreme accuracy - OOB left, bunker right and a beautiful view off in the distance distracting you as best it can.

As mentioned previously, the 11th is a cunning hole which is often over looked. 

« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 12:14:31 AM by Garland Bayley »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2012, 11:39:11 PM »
Church12 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

12th - a hedge encroaching to the fairway from the left obscures the view of the landing zone and makes what is in reality a pretty roomy drive feel claustrophobic. The green's movement demands the approach be struck to a precise yardage. Doesn't look like much from the tee, but what a great hole.

We now come to one of my favourite holes on the links, #12.  I wrote about the great green earlier, but the hedge is also a clever ploy. It hides the turn of the dogleg and makes golfers think it best to play out to the right.  While it is true that approaching from the right is easier, I am not sure it is worth trying to skirt the bunkers on the drive to earn this angle.  The lay of the land feeds directly to this pair of pits and the fairway always seems to be keen.  This photo reveals the dome-like effect of the green.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 12:16:11 AM by Garland Bayley »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2012, 11:41:57 PM »
Church13 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

13th - the first of back-to-back uphill short dogleg right par fours with OOB left. This one to a plateau green defended at the back by two bunkers. Built more on meadow than links, it's a good use of the land.

Take a break - Take a deep breath and check that view out. The Camel Estuary runs into the Atlantic, the old church in the foreground. You'd hand over a greenfee for the views alone.

#s 13 & 14 run along the high end of the course on meadowy turf.  Despite efforts to create interest, the 13th doesn't appeal to me.  One feels as though he is hitting into a field then slogging a long iron/wood up to the green.  That said, there is an interesting bunker behind the green which does give this hole some distinction.

Despite the mediocrity, any hole which affords us this view can't be criticized too harshly.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 12:17:43 AM by Garland Bayley »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2012, 11:44:52 PM »
Church14 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

14th - a forced carry to a heavily-cambered fairway, and a green so funky a modern architect would get reamed for building, but somehow it fits the lay of the land. My only gripe is that the running approach is nigh on difficult to play, and in such a high-wind site atop the hill, it would be a nice option to have.

The 14th is an interesting little hole mainly because one knows he has to get his ball somewhere to to the right side of the fairway without going too far right because there is a turf wall guarding the green on the left and sharp run off guarding the right.

In this photo from behind the green we can see the back side of the turf wall (where the marker post is) and the front to back nature of the approach and green.  Like the 4th, this hole gets my thumbs up for using a poor piece of land to create a wonderful hole.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 12:18:58 AM by Garland Bayley »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2012, 11:49:14 PM »
Church15 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

15th - this par three has shades of the 5th, but is sufficiently different by playing downhill. The road directly in front of the green brings a touch of luck into the result, but, as they say "it's all there in front of you", and so's the view.

The 15th takes us across the same chasm onto the proper links as the 5th did and if there can be a criticism of St Enodoc, it is the similarities between the two.  That said, they are both solid one-shotters and it is no great hardship to have another go. 

« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 12:20:27 AM by Garland Bayley »

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2012, 11:49:30 PM »
Garland - thanks again very much; these additions you're making are just great and must involve quite a bit of work. It's much appreciated.

Scott - always a pleasure to read your profiles. I must've missed this the first time around (or was 'away' then).  Anyway, thanks. And thanks also for a short description which I fell in love with, the description and the hole: "A mid iron to a green surrounded by pots." Now THAT'S a Par 3!!

Peter

Garland Bayley

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2012, 11:52:17 PM »
Church16 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

16th - this par five, playing over a rollercoaster crumpled fairway, has a new green that sits naturally in a gently-sloping duneside adjoining the water. As with the 14th, the running approach is stymied slightly by the length of the grass and angle of the land on the uphill side of the putting surface. I obviously never played the old hole, but this is a genuine three-shotter - perhaps the only one (the 1st and 10th ares for shorter hitters) for all golfers. The bunkers await a shot hit weakly from the hanging lie you're likely to encounter on the approach. As you walk to the 17th tee, the view over the 16th takes your breath away.

The 16th used to encourage the golfer to hit it over the shelf like dune off the tee to earn an opportunity of getting home in two. While it is still beneficial to hit the long ball, only the very long can now reach this 540 yard par 5 over tumultuous land.  Here is the view from the crest of the dune.  Just short of the large bunker on the right is where the old green was and a good green it was hard on the boundary fence. 

As stated previously, despite my questioning as to why it was necessary to make changes, I am impressed with the work carried out. The bunkering is much more muscular on this hole and more to my liking. 

Although, it was plainly evident that sand is escaping from this bunker and some sort of alteration will be necessary.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 12:21:49 AM by Garland Bayley »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2012, 11:54:15 PM »
Church17 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

17th - much of the putting surface on this 200yd par three hides behind the left-hand dune, and a ripple cutting through the green centre adds to the need for accuracy. The best par three on the course, in my book.

The final par 3 is a doozy.  The tee shot is uphill until the front of the green then runs sharply downhill to the back of the green.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 12:23:03 AM by Garland Bayley »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2012, 11:56:23 PM »
Church18 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

18th - this par four shares all the fantastic attributes of the adjoining 1st - rollicking dunes, some room to miss and a hell of a second shot to the green atop a dune - a gentler version of the shot you've just hit on the 17th, albeit with more running options.

A look at the 16th green & estuary from the 18th tee.

The drive on #18 is much less daunting than it appears as the fairway gathers.

Once the clubhouse is squarely in sight the golfer realizes how tired he is.  However, there is one final tough shot awaiting, this uphill approach has to be expertly judged to get near the flag and an opportunity for birdie, for like the 17th, the green runs away from the player.

People should be knocking down the door to play St Enodoc.  There really isn't a course in all of GB&I that I would rather play and that is more down to the great architecture than the odd funky features.  The mix of Braid, Fowler, Simpson and whoever designed the 10th can in hindsight only be described as inspired.  It is hard to imagine a course which packs so much into its seemingly benign length.  I have no hesitation in giving this course 2* and unwaveringly declare that nobody could be disappointed if they planned a trip around St Enodoc.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 12:24:18 AM by Garland Bayley »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back