News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Christoph Meister

Re: dogs on the course
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2009, 05:00:46 PM »
Most golf clubs in Northern Germany do not allow dogs on the golf course, which is a pity for my Dutch Shepherd dog FRODO!

Things are different in Eastern Germany, Bavaria, Denmark and France where most courses allow dogs on the course...
Some years ago I was playing Le Vaudreuil, a 1960s Hawtree design, some 80km west of Paris where the friendly club
manager told me while checking in that of course I could take my dog on the course, on lead.

After having finished the 18th hole with Frodo (see below picture) a lady club member came up to me and said "You're obviously
not French?" - " I replied "How did you find out without having listened to my lousy French? - "Oh" she said "French Golfers never have
their dogs on lead on the golf course even though it is compulsory!"

I'll never understand why it is not allowed to take well trained dogs onto my home course - a golf course at Brunstorf East of Hamburg has now discovered dogs as a marketing tool and they openly advertise that dog owners might bring their well behaved dogs with them. When paying the greenfee the dog owner receives a doggy bag to collect any leftovers - It's so easy isn't it? - at least (my) children are allowed at my home course!

Christoph

« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 05:02:47 PM by Christoph Meister »
Golf's Missing Links - Continental Europe
 https://www.golfsmissinglinks.co.uk/index.php/wales-2
EAGHC European Association of
Golf Historians & Collectors
http://www.golfika.com
German Hickory Golf Society e.V.
http://www.german-hickory.com

PThomas

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2009, 05:10:31 PM »
i love these stories!

JAL, your story reminded of the tombstone there is on Lost Dunes for a dog..not sure if it was the clubs dog or the pro's or supers...quite touching
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2009, 05:24:22 PM »
Great sight for me yesterday at Soule Park at 5:30 PM.  A dad, golf cart, two little boys about 7-9 in age and their dog teeing off #1.  It took them about 45 minutes to play #1 and #2, but it looked like they were having fun.  Obviously the dad was attempting to teach the kids to play, what a thrill for them.
I suspect dogs are not allowed on the course, but hopefully the starter was awake, often there they are not, and decided, hey it's Ojai, we are loose up here.  I saw no harm in the setting.

Love watching the senior members play at Swinley Forest with their dogs.  It seemed so natural.

It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

John Mayhugh

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2009, 05:31:20 PM »
Lynn,
Ojai didn't strike me as too uptight.  I think kids often get interested in golf thanks to carts, but I believe bringing the dog along would work just as well.

Christoph,
Your dog doesn't look quite as scary as the one Tim described.   ;D  I don't think I've ever seen a dog that looked quite like yours before.

I'm really enjoying all the stories.

PThomas

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2009, 05:32:49 PM »
and the cover of The Confidential Guide has a guy with his dog on...I forget the course!

Jim Tang

« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2009, 07:56:07 PM »
Black Sheep Golf Club, outside Chicago, has about 3 or 4 dogs that just wander about the grounds near the pro shop, 1st and 10th tees and sometimes will follow a group halfway down the fairway if they have food.  The dogs belong to the head pro and various other staff members.  The dogs only add to the very cool and low key vibe that is Black Sheep.

Christoph Meister

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2009, 04:04:24 AM »

Christoph,
Your dog doesn't look quite as scary as the one Tim described.   ;D  I don't think I've ever seen a dog that looked quite like yours before.

I'm really enjoying all the stories.

John,

no it's definetely not a Doberman, but a Dutch Schapendoes, a very rare breed almost extinct during WWII - see also:

http://www.dogsindepth.com/herding_dog_breeds/dutch_schapendoes.html

Very nice with family and children, but allways defends the flock (family) against gatecrasher barking like a big dog!

You would typically find that dog with shepherds on dutch heathland similar to the land where Colt designed courses such as
Utrecht De Pan and Eindhoven are built...

Christoph

That's my dog's area when he is not joining me on the golf course:

« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 04:41:26 AM by Christoph Meister »
Golf's Missing Links - Continental Europe
 https://www.golfsmissinglinks.co.uk/index.php/wales-2
EAGHC European Association of
Golf Historians & Collectors
http://www.golfika.com
German Hickory Golf Society e.V.
http://www.german-hickory.com

Robin Doodson

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2009, 04:18:05 AM »
I visited the Berkshire last year where my uncle is a member and was amazed to see the number of dogs out walking the course with their masters. it really summed up the relaxed nature of the club.

Sean_A

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2009, 04:41:53 AM »
Though not a dog lover unless I am hunting, I too like to see dogs on the course.  I can still recall my first visit to Brancaster.  Upon walking into the lounge I encountered a family of children on the floorin their bathing suits and several dogs lying about as well.  I couldn't determine which was more bizarre!  Royal West Norfolk is one cool club.

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

James Boon

« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2009, 08:59:34 AM »
Sean, I'm sure I also recall there was a water bowl specifically for the dogs at Brancaster?

Very often if I find myself visiting another club alone when its not very busy, the only other people on the course may be one man and his dog? Also, when I was a kid visiting Brora in the summer I would often walk our dog along the beach, then if it wasn't busy back along the course, though she was always on a lead because of the sheep!

However, don't forget it wasn't long ago that Royal St George's had their notorious sign "No Dogs and No Woman"...

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2009, 09:34:03 AM »
I had a day booked to play Brancaster by myself and the day before I thought it won’t hurt to ask.

“Excuse me, but do you allow visitors dogs on the course?”

“Yes Sir, we love dogs here”.

So one beautiful February day we enjoyed 36 magical holes together.  Apart form one other group we had the place to ourselves.  I’ve never seen him more alive and his energy levels rushing hither and thither were amazing. I’ve said it before on here but I think it was the best day of his life.

This summer I hope to show him Deal.
Let's make GCA grate again!

PThomas

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2009, 09:44:07 AM »
at Bayonne in NJ they have some specially trained dog that cost something like 10k that roams the course by himself in order to keep the geese away....and he must do his job cause i saw no gifts on the ground from the geese, if you catch my drift

John Mayhugh

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2009, 10:36:14 AM »
I’ve never seen him more alive and his energy levels rushing hither and thither were amazing. I’ve said it before on here but I think it was the best day of his life.

Great story. 
Check out that smile!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2009, 07:22:16 PM »
Our golf dog, Barkley, a Samoyed, had to be put to sleep this afternoon.  I will miss him greatly.

He was a rescue dog (found abandoned and given a temporary home by the breeder's association), and was almost a year old when we got him.  I took him out on the golf course right away, first at High Pointe and then at Crystal Downs, and he just loved it out there, having so much room to roam when the courses were quiet.

But then, about the third time we had him out at High Pointe, it was starting to get busier, and as we were walking down the sixth fairway he spied his first golf cart over on #8 ... and he just took off on a dead run straight toward it, barking furiously.  I was afraid he was going to attack the thing, but he ran it down and jumped aboard and sat up on the seat next to the startled driver, happy as could be.  Of all ironies, Barkley was a cart dog.

After that he was fine on the course in the spring when there were no carts, but once the golf season really started, he wanted to be in the cart and wouldn't necessarily stay quiet about it, so I couldn't take him out nearly as often as I would have liked to.  Even at Crystal Downs, I was a bit self-conscious about bringing him out in-season, because while a few older members liked to bring their dogs, I knew there were others who frowned on it.  I would take him to High Pointe, because nobody would say anything to me there, and occasionally down to Lost Dunes, which was very dog-friendly.  [The memorial on the course at Lost Dunes is to Ollie, the founder Jeff Shearer's dog.  There is also a club tournament in Ollie's honor.]

I wish more clubs were less uptight about people bringing out their dogs.  Golf courses are supposed to be happy places, and people are generally happy with a dog around.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2009, 07:50:48 PM »
Tom,

My condolences. I know only too well what it is like to lose an old friend.

Max, my Rottie/Swiss Mountain dog mix and Beaufort our Corgi, departed just a couple of years ago. After some discussion we now have a couple of yellow Labradors, Amber and Brinkley and are glad that we jumped into the pool so quickly. Don't wait too long.

Bob   

Ben Sims

« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2009, 08:48:24 PM »
Tom,

Sorry to hear about Barkley.  Losing anything that loves you unconditionally is a tough experience.  I've lost a couple great Lab's when I was away from home after I left for the Academy, it was tough going back to Georgia with Hoss and Little Joe missing.  Looking forward to getting  a puppy this fall after the wedding.

I remember the only time I took Little Joe to the course.  I didn't start golfing until he was 10 years old and I was in college, so I assumed his age would make him less apt to run down balls and other golfers.  WRONG!!  In my beginning days, I swung too hard and would sometimes catch one with my awfully violent swing, which sent Little Joe into a 300 yard dead sprint off the first tee.  I didn't coral him until after my second shot. I learned that day that Titleist cover polymers are quite grabby when dog slobber is added to the equation. One of my better golf memories.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2009, 09:18:19 PM »
Tom,

Thanks for sharing that story. So sorry for your loss. Sounds like you showed him some fun times.

My dog loves car rides but carts do not appeal to her at all. 

James Bennett

« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2009, 09:24:44 AM »
Great stories - even the sad ones.  My mother took one of our dogs to our club some 25 years ago (probably an afghan hound).  She was politely told to cease.  We can take push-carts over greens, but we can't take dogs on a golf course.

Here is the Eden Course, circa 2007, first hole.  What a magic sight.  I wish I could have walked with them, but my time in that blessed spot was nearly up.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Chris Ord

« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2009, 01:46:22 PM »
I remember seeing a few dogs out on the course with members at Prestwick when I played over in Scotland a few years ago.

I have also, on numerous occasions, seen coyotes up on the ridges at Rustic Canyon.  Not exactly the kind of dogs you want to meet out on the course.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2009, 05:39:09 PM »
Tony,

Are you sure he's from the right stock old boy? He may get on at Deal but Sandwich requires a pure black or golden Labrador, come to think of it Brancaster can field a team of Lords so he clearly knows how to behave himself!

page 228/229 of Legendary Golf Clubs of Scotland, England....... has a great picture of 2 dogs on a green at Brancaster.

Mark 
Cave Nil Vino

Chuck Brown

« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2009, 07:11:08 PM »
Dear Tom,

I shall keep you in my thoughts and Barkley in my prayers.

I have always thought that of the countless touches of genius in The Confidential Guide, none was better, or more meaningful, or a better statement of "this is golf... get it?", than the front-of-the-dustjacket photo of the single golfer at Cruden Bay, with both he and his faithful labrador watching the flight of the golf ball on a sunny afternoon.  It might just be the best non-dramatic, non-artsy, no-celebrity golf photo I have ever seen.

I get it.  With much gratitude to you.

Chuck
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 09:13:02 AM by Chuck Brown »

Craig Sweet

« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2009, 07:32:22 PM »
Tom D...sorry to hear about your buddy...I hope you find a new golf friend soon.

This is a great thread...

Speaking of the white rabbit at Pebble Beach...how do you pull up those old threads on the new site?
LOCK HIM UP!!!

JLahrman

« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2009, 08:54:16 PM »
Yeah sorry to hear about that Tom.  That's what's lousy about having pets - you're probably going to outlive them.  It's hard for non pet-owners to understand how people get so attached to a dirty barking hairball, then you get one and see why.  Nobody loves you like your dog does.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2009, 10:17:50 PM »
My rescued Greyhound 'Big Dave' is welcome at Ballyneal anytime. He rarely gets a foot away from your hip when walking. Not like our 'Pablo' who likes to play goalie. Sadly, about 9 weeks ago Dave sprained his front leg. After a month and a half it was getting worse. Turns out he has Bone cancer. The doc took the leg two weeks ago and he started chemo. As of this writing he is completely back to being a dog.

Sorry to hear about your loss Tom.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 09:01:03 AM by Adam Clayman »
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Thomas Patterson

« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2009, 02:13:17 PM »
Tom - Very sorry about your loss.  Sounds like he had a great life though, and that is what is important....

Adam - glad to hear your guy, Big Dave is doing better!

I have never had the great fortune of playing a round with my girl, Galleon, a black lab mix we saved from a shelter almost 4 years ago.  I am hoping to take her with me on a late evening round at Black Mesa this weekend. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back