News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

Is golf a gentlemens game?
« on: May 26, 2009, 01:10:51 PM »

What does "gentlemens game" mean to you?

Is golf a gentlemens game? Was it ever? Has it always been?

What makes a gentleman golfer?

Anthony

Garland Bayley

Re: Is golf a gentlemens game?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 01:21:05 PM »
Money
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 01:23:10 PM »

Gentlemen

Melvyn

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 01:26:04 PM »
Golf is the only game where the competitors call penalties on themselves.  This is what makes it a gentleman's game.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 01:26:20 PM »
 Moneyed Gentlemen.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 01:42:17 PM »
Money

Perhaps some explanation is in order. I read Tommy's Honour. The book refers to how golf professionals, caddies, etc. were considered of a lesser class than the moneyed gentlemen amateurs that primarily played the game. Clearly some of those moneyed folks were fine gentlemen. However, money does not always a "gentleman" make. Therefore, it is my impression that the game was grounded in wealth, with a healthy (but not full) dose of gentleness thrown in.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Anthony Gray

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 01:46:20 PM »
Money

Perhaps some explanation is in order. I read Tommy's Honour. The book refers to how golf professionals, caddies, etc. were considered of a lesser class than the moneyed gentlemen amateurs that primarily played the game. Clearly some of those moneyed folks were fine gentlemen. However, money does not always a "gentleman" make. Therefore, it is my impression that the game was grounded in wealth, with a healthy (but not full) dose of gentleness thrown in.

Garland,

Thanks for the clearification of your first post. Now I am more confused. You owe me 5 bucks.

Anthony

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 01:50:18 PM »
A "Gentleman" was, as Rich said, moneyed. He had an income from a trust, legacy, etc., that was enough to keep hm from having to work for a living.

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Anthony Gray

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 01:53:06 PM »
Moneyed Gentlemen.

Rich,

Is there history behind this term?

Thank You,

Anthony

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 01:55:17 PM »
Gentlemen( ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D)

Golf is a Gentlemen’s game. Because some do not act as Gentlemen on a course just reflects human nature.

Yet, Golf is a great leveller and on the course titles do not matter, just the game and fellowship. However, then golf also has players, who are not necessarily Gentlemen although some may harbour the thought.

Some have been heard as saying Gentlemen like to win but it is not that which drive them in golf, but players must win it is why they are in golf. I believe winning is always nice but for me it has never been the driving force. The Sprit of the Game comes from facing the challenge of the course and anticipating the hazards that await you, be it on a 9 hole or full championship 18 hole course.

As for Gentlemen, then that is down to behaviour and manners portrayed by the individual throughout his round and in the bar/restaurant afterwards. Alas, those who aspire to that title seem to stumble at the last hurdle in the bar/restaurant, although some flaws may have also surfaced on the course.

The question I am surprised Anthony did not ask is do Gentlemen ride carts when playing golf. That I will happily leave to Anthony to answer.

Many courses and clubs in the mid to late 19th Century came into being thanks to Gentlemen and their willingness to lease plots of land to the clubs or Council for the purpose of Golf. Examples Lady Cathcart (of Askernish) allowed part of the Cluny Estate to be used for the Blair Hills course, The Earl of Erroll allowed Port Errol to be used, which became Cruden Bay, Lord Leitrim gave us Rosapenna, Earl of Aberdeen private course is now Tarland GC, the list just keeps going on, but I will not bore you with anymore.

Melvyn

Rich Goodale

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 02:06:48 PM »
Moneyed Gentlemen.

Rich,

Is there history behind this term?

Thank You,

Anthony

Yes

See posts 4 and 7 above.

R

Mike Hendren

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 02:09:47 PM »
One of the best eulogies I ever heard:

"He was a gentleman and a gentle man."

Words I aspire to.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

tlavin

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 02:10:26 PM »
A gentleman's game not played at a gentlemen's club.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 02:12:04 PM »
I read Anthony's original post as asking about golf being a gentleman's game today and then about the history.

The earliest golfers were well to do "gentlemen" who may or may not have actually been gentlemen but were of that class.

Nowadays golf is pretty much open to all, but not all golfers are gentlemen (or ladies) even today. 

Golf is still the only game where the players call penalties on themselves.

They may, however, report a 21.6 index and make several  pars and a couple of birdies in a match event.  At the Kings Putter.  Hmmm.

Just kidding, GB.  ;)  Anthony made me do it.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 06:59:34 PM »
The etiquette is "gentlemenly"

That you don't yell "Noonan" when they are about to putt, blast a blowhorn when they attempt to hit a shot, walk in your opponents line...etc.

That sort of stuff.

It's a "Gentlemen's" game in that you want to beat your opponent on his best day and don't do rude things to take them out of their zone...
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2009, 08:51:23 PM »
I thought it was Augusta National that made it a gentleman's game!!!

my real answer - I think this "golf is a gentleman's game" really means: GOLF IS A GAME OF INTEGRITY

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2009, 09:04:36 PM »
The definitions of "Gentleman" are varied and many. You're all right in one regard or another. Though most of the definitions on this thread come down to the following two divisions.

A man of gentle or noble birth or superior social position

A well-mannered and considerate man with high standards of proper behavior

Think about which one you'd rather be.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Carl Johnson

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2009, 09:13:36 PM »
Gentlemen( ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D)
The question I am surprised Anthony did not ask is do Gentlemen ride carts when playing golf. That I will happily leave to Anthony to answer.

I'm sure Anthony has his own answer, but in my experience Gentlemen do ride in carts because that makes it easier to carry the beer, without which golf not be the same.  Can you imagine carrying your own bag and lugging around a couple of six packs?  The true Gentleman golfer drinks lots of beer and then relieves himself against the nearest tree or bush.

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2009, 09:22:19 PM »
I think I found the real answer!... Its because the word "gentlepeople" did not exist in the English language until 1970 according to www.dictionary.com and men around the world were/still are to sexist to write in/say "gentlemen and gentlewomen" in the same breath!

gen⋅tle⋅per⋅son  [jen-tl-pur-suhn]  Show IPA
–noun
a person of good family and position; gentleman or lady.
Origin:
1970–75; gentle(man) + -person
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/gentlepeople

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2009, 09:33:34 PM »
Does this suggest we should stop this discussion here and now ?

"He's too much a gentleman to be a scholar” -Aphra Behn.

I'm mailing this quote to Philadelphia.   :o
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Chris Wirthwein

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2009, 10:35:11 PM »
Sometimes it is.

My son and I were in St. Andrews a few years ago with no tee time at the Old Course (It was our first trip together there.) After cajoling the starter and lurking around the first tee for 3-4 hours it became clear playing the Old Course wasn't in the cards. Resigned to our disappointing fate, I asked the starter if my son and I could at least putt around on the practice green near the first tee. No problem, he said.

After a few strokes (and a few sighs of regret) I heard a rather meek voice over my should say, "Would you like to play?" Thinking I was perhaps hearing things I asked the gentleman to repeat what he said. "Would you like to play?" he replied.

Long story short: he was a St. Andrews local...there with his son-in-law for an afternoon round. They had made a tee time for four, as they always do. Sometimes four show up and sometimes they don't, as he explained. And when they don't show up, he simply asks any of the lurkers they happen to see if they want to play. That day it happened to be me and my son.

This gentleman seemed to understand that many folks come a long way for the experience only to miss out. Well, we played that day and had a glorious time...and tosated down a Guiness or two after the round. Best of all, he asked me if I had an interest in joining the St. Andrews Golf Club as an overseas member. (I've been a member for four years now.)

We've become friendly over the years...and he even met me on the 17th tee on TOC the last time I was in St. Andrews and carried my bag the rest of the way. We birdied 18 as my son watched from the steps of the R&A! (He had finished his round ahead of me.)

Sometimes...it is a gentleman's game.
Yes, sometimes it

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2009, 11:07:13 PM »

What does "gentlemens game" mean to you?

Is golf a gentlemens game? Was it ever? Has it always been?

What makes a gentleman golfer?

Anthony,

The answer is simple.

It's adherence to SECTION I of the USGA Rule Book.

The very first topic explained and expounded upon in the book of the official rules of golf.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2009, 08:01:32 AM »
Sometimes it is.

My son and I were in St. Andrews a few years ago with no tee time at the Old Course (It was our first trip together there.) After cajoling the starter and lurking around the first tee for 3-4 hours it became clear playing the Old Course wasn't in the cards. Resigned to our disappointing fate, I asked the starter if my son and I could at least putt around on the practice green near the first tee. No problem, he said.

After a few strokes (and a few sighs of regret) I heard a rather meek voice over my should say, "Would you like to play?" Thinking I was perhaps hearing things I asked the gentleman to repeat what he said. "Would you like to play?" he replied.

Long story short: he was a St. Andrews local...there with his son-in-law for an afternoon round. They had made a tee time for four, as they always do. Sometimes four show up and sometimes they don't, as he explained. And when they don't show up, he simply asks any of the lurkers they happen to see if they want to play. That day it happened to be me and my son.

This gentleman seemed to understand that many folks come a long way for the experience only to miss out. Well, we played that day and had a glorious time...and tosated down a Guiness or two after the round. Best of all, he asked me if I had an interest in joining the St. Andrews Golf Club as an overseas member. (I've been a member for four years now.)

We've become friendly over the years...and he even met me on the 17th tee on TOC the last time I was in St. Andrews and carried my bag the rest of the way. We birdied 18 as my son watched from the steps of the R&A! (He had finished his round ahead of me.)

Sometimes...it is a gentleman's game.
Yes, sometimes it

This is one of the best stories I have ever heard about golf. The culture of golf is truly different in Scotland.

Thanks Chris and welcome to the site.

Anthony

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2009, 09:33:42 AM »
Carl

There is not much to say to the likes of you or your friends. Clearly, you have not been taught how to play golf correctly and consider others on the course.

Drink from a discreet hip flask if you need something for the cold and leave the beer until the 19th. Failure to do so will seriously affect your social standing and happily, you will be removed from many of our courses for that type of behaviour.

I for one would be more than happy to assist the club in removing you from their facility should you feel the need to behave like that. I will hold your car door open to allow you to fall in then once you left the property I will willing phone the police and advise them of a potential drunk driver.

Some of us still have standards and will do what is needed to protect our families and friends

Leave the booze until the 19th and please consider others.

Apart from that I hope you enjoy you golf

Anthony, what a difference in the quality when you read Chris’s story.

Melvyn

Carl Johnson

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2009, 04:28:24 PM »
Carl

There is not much to say to the likes of you or your friends. Clearly, you have not been taught how to play golf correctly and consider others on the course.

Drink from a discreet hip flask if you need something for the cold and leave the beer until the 19th. Failure to do so will seriously affect your social standing and happily, you will be removed from many of our courses for that type of behaviour.

I for one would be more than happy to assist the club in removing you from their facility should you feel the need to behave like that. I will hold your car door open to allow you to fall in then once you left the property I will willing phone the police and advise them of a potential drunk driver.

Some of us still have standards and will do what is needed to protect our families and friends

Leave the booze until the 19th and please consider others.

Apart from that I hope you enjoy you golf

Anthony, what a difference in the quality when you read Chris’s story.

Melvyn

Melvyn:

I'm sorry that my intended sarcasm didn't show through.  (Although maybe I'm not getting yours in return.)  In fact, my friends and I don't ride in carts -- we walk -- and don't drink on the course.  I really think we play about as close to gentlemenly golf as one can get.  We may have a beer in the club bar or on the deck after a round, although personally I prefer a Diet Dr. Pepper, perhaps later followed by a glass of piot gris.  (However, I will admit that last weekend six of us went out in two groups of three to play a match to celebrate one of our regulars' 50th birthday.  As our two groups passed each other going opposite ways on adjacent holes 10 and 11, one of the men in my group surprised us all by pulling out a small flask of whisky and six paper shot glasses.  He then got all six of us together for a brief toast to the birthday boy.  And, no, our toast didn't hold anyone up.  Given the inclement weather, the course was otherwise mostly empty.)  Unfortunately, there are those who, in my experience, seriously claim to be gentlemen golfers yet display loutish behavior both on the course and off, much of it having to do with the excessive drinking of beer.  It was that type of "gentleman golfer" I was trying to tweak.  Unfortunately, I have a tendency to use sarcasm, make incredibly outlandish or outrageous statements, and so on, for effect.  It doesn't always come off very well.  My wife will be the first to attest to that.

Carl

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back