News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Fleischer

Re: Operation Ferris Wheel - The Magic of GCA.com
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2009, 02:06:21 AM »
 Well done gentlemen, well done . There is nothing better than knowing there is an easter bunny and a santa claus!!  Hope everyone has
a great holiday weekend.

Brad

michael damico

« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2009, 08:17:45 AM »
great story guys; this is what sets golf apart from other sports.

John,

I remember the rabbit story but didn't realize until now that it was Peter.  Between that and PV, we'll have plenty to talk about at dinner at Ballyneal in a few weeks.

Good stuff.

Jim

i got a chance to play Ballyneal just about a month ago and had one of the best times on a golf course i have ever had; even shooting one of the worst rounds in quite some time. i'm sure you guys will have just as much fun (if not more) and come back with a couple stories yourself.

"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
                                                                -fz

RJ_Daley

« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2009, 01:11:16 AM »
Peter, had it ocurred to you to maybe pick up a souvenir golf shirt to remember the occasion?  I heard some folks like to collect them...  ;D ;) 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Doug Wright

« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2009, 05:49:02 PM »
Great story. The members of GolfClubAtlas are really terrific.

Happy Memorial Day to all.   
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2010, 09:50:19 AM »
Bumping in honor of this past weekend's Crump Cup

JC Jones

« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2010, 10:40:04 AM »
One of my favorite threads/stories on this site, ever.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

PCCraig

« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2010, 10:47:56 AM »
One of my favorite threads/stories on this site, ever.

I agree, this and the Pizza Man threads are in the GCA Thread Hall of Fame.
H.P.S.

Ron Csigo

« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2010, 10:56:57 AM »
One of my favorite stories.  I have the link bookmarked and I re-read it whenever I have a crummy day.

The Spirit of the Game definitely live on...
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2010, 11:09:44 AM »
Who cares about the PV "detour"  ::)  ;D

I want to hear the story behind the "Cougar Killer" comment regarding Mike.

Spill the beans Mike...

... very cool though for Peter.  Where's the tape of the look and reaction upon realizing what was happening?  Like a kid in a candy store no doubt.

I'll bet the gift of giving was just as much fun though.  Always feels good and especially when it's appreciated.

“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Tim Martin

« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2010, 11:12:01 AM »
Mike Sweeney and the guys who set this up-beyond compare.Peter-What an inspiring and from the heart post. The entire episode is fantastic.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2010, 11:55:22 AM »
I was involved in a somewhat similar surprise last summer.  My friend Brian Doyle Murray graciously offered to host a foursome at Prairie Dunes as an auction item at an Evans Scholars fundraiser.  I was also bringing a foursome.  A week before the date, the winning bidder told me one of his guys dropped out and asked if he should dig somebody up or if I could get their "fourth".  I opted for the latter.  They were wondering who the "fourth" was and where he was when we got on the small plane to fly to Kansas, but I only told them that he would meet us in Kansas.

You should have seen their faces when Bill Murray was waiting for us at the little airport in Hutchinson, Kansas.  "I told you I'd get you a fourth," was all I said.  That was pretty priceless stuff.  And it raised a lot of money for a great golf cause as well.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

PCCraig

« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2010, 12:04:05 PM »
I was involved in a somewhat similar surprise last summer.  My friend Brian Doyle Murray graciously offered to host a foursome at Prairie Dunes as an auction item at an Evans Scholars fundraiser.  I was also bringing a foursome.  A week before the date, the winning bidder told me one of his guys dropped out and asked if he should dig somebody up or if I could get their "fourth".  I opted for the latter.  They were wondering who the "fourth" was and where he was when we got on the small plane to fly to Kansas, but I only told them that he would meet us in Kansas.

You should have seen their faces when Bill Murray was waiting for us at the little airport in Hutchinson, Kansas.  "I told you I'd get you a fourth," was all I said.  That was pretty priceless stuff.  And it raised a lot of money for a great golf cause as well.

Great story! :)
H.P.S.

Thomas Patterson

« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2010, 04:52:53 PM »
What a great experience and just goes to show the generosity of members of this site.  Thanks for bumping this thread!

Michael George

« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2012, 08:09:50 PM »

Thanks to Sven for nominating this thread.

This is the best thread that I have ever read on this site.    Peter's post best described my love for great golf courses.  That enjoyment of experiencing something that you have thought about for a long time does bring the child back in me - if just for a couple of hours. 

Great stuff.
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back