News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Topp

Hogan's All American Golf Course - Life Magazine
« on: May 19, 2009, 11:39:31 PM »
Apparently, Ben Hogan listed 18 holes as his All American Golf Course.  According to Dan Jenkins, the 12th at Southern Hills is on the list.  Anyone know what other holes he chose?

Bruce Leland

Re: Hogan's All American Golf Course - Life Magazine
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 12:06:45 AM »
Not sure that they would be the same holes but Jenkins authored a book by that title or something very similar.  He listed the 18 best holes in American golf.  I have a copy and if I can dig it up, I'll post all 18.
"The mystique of Muirfield lingers on. So does the memory of Carnoustie's foreboding. So does the scenic wonder of Turnberry and the haunting incredibility of Prestwick, and the pleasant deception of Troon. But put them altogether and St. Andrew's can play their low ball for atmosphere." Dan Jenkins

Bruce Leland

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 12:24:05 AM »
Jason:  Apparently they are different holes although Hogan did pen a foreward to the 1966 Jenkins book entitled "The Best 18 Golf Holes In America." 

The book highlights the holes in order as they are found, i.e. the best 1st hole, the best 2nd hole, etc.

1.  Merion Golf Club
2.  Scioto Country Club
3.  Olympic Country Club
4.  Baltusrol Golf Club
5.  Colonia Country Club, Ft. Worth
6.  Seminole Golf Club
7.  Pine Valley Golf Club
8.  Prairie Duness CC
9.  Champions Golf Club, Houston
10. Winged Foot Golf Club,
11. Merion Golf Club
12. Augusta National Golf Club
13. The Dunes Golf & Beach Club, Myrtle Beach
14. Cherry Hills Country Club
15. Oakmont Country Club
16. Oakland Hills Country Club
17. Quail Creek Golf & CC
18. Pebble Beach Golf Links

So the Hogan hole at Southern Hills doesn't come into play on this list for what it's worth.
"The mystique of Muirfield lingers on. So does the memory of Carnoustie's foreboding. So does the scenic wonder of Turnberry and the haunting incredibility of Prestwick, and the pleasant deception of Troon. But put them altogether and St. Andrew's can play their low ball for atmosphere." Dan Jenkins

Ben Sims

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 12:29:04 AM »
Hmm.  No mention of Riviera...interesting.  Am I right in assuming that Hogan was a big fan of the course that took a nickname after him?

Jason Topp

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 12:45:09 AM »
Jason:  Apparently they are different holes although Hogan did pen a foreward to the 1966 Jenkins book entitled "The Best 18 Golf Holes In America." 

The book highlights the holes in order as they are found, i.e. the best 1st hole, the best 2nd hole, etc.

1.  Merion Golf Club
2.  Scioto Country Club
3.  Olympic Country Club
4.  Baltusrol Golf Club
5.  Colonia Country Club, Ft. Worth
6.  Seminole Golf Club
7.  Pine Valley Golf Club
8.  Prairie Duness CC
9.  Champions Golf Club, Houston
10. Winged Foot Golf Club,
11. Merion Golf Club
12. Augusta National Golf Club
13. The Dunes Golf & Beach Club, Myrtle Beach
14. Cherry Hills Country Club
15. Oakmont Country Club
16. Oakland Hills Country Club
17. Quail Creek Golf & CC
18. Pebble Beach Golf Links

So the Hogan hole at Southern Hills doesn't come into play on this list for what it's worth.

I own the Jenkins book. 

This is a different list created by Ben Hogan.  It was likely included in the July 20, 1942 Life Magazine although the Magazine description does not identify an author.  Jenkins refers to it in his tournament story from the tournament Tommy Bolt won at Southern Hills. 

mike_beene

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 11:17:25 PM »
For what its worth,I believe the 9th at Champions is actually from the Jack Rabbit Road side and may even be the 18th now.Kyle?

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 08:38:32 AM »
For what its worth,I believe the 9th at Champions is actually from the Jack Rabbit Road side and may even be the 18th now.Kyle?

That hole is from the Jackrabbit Course.  It doesn't exist as described today.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 08:43:01 AM »
These articles with the Jenkins list ran as a two part series for Sports Illustrated.  They were both cover articles.  Links are below...

Front Nine - http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1076924/1/index.htm

Back Nine - http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1076929/1/index.htm

« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 11:05:08 AM by Kyle Krahenbuhl »

Anthony Gray

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 08:46:39 AM »

I can't imagine why he did not pick PB as hole 8.

Anthony

Chuck Brown

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 10:28:10 AM »
Good lord, doesn't that SI cover photo of Seminole look wonderfully brown, dry and fast?  A real lesson for others...

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 10:45:15 AM »
Good lord, doesn't that SI cover photo of Seminole look wonderfully brown, dry and fast?  A real lesson for others...

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 10:52:02 AM »
Those SI covers are available for purchase. When framed, they make for a good wall in your office or home office.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Jason Topp

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 10:55:54 AM »
These articles with the Hogan list ran as a two part series for Sports Illustrated.  They were both cover articles.  Links are below...

Front Nine - http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1076924/1/index.htm

Back Nine - http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1076929/1/index.htm

These articles are interesting but not the Hogan list I am referring to:

From the first Sports Illustrated article:

"The holes, which add up to a dream course, were chosen by Sports Illustrated after consultation with three men who have seen hundreds of U.S. courses: USGA Executive Director Joseph Dey, Professional Byron Nelson and Amateur Charlie Coe. While in the final process of selecting the Best 18, Dan Jenkins, an 8-handicap golfer, played them all. He describes the holes, and tells how—alas—he fared."

Here is a quote from a Jenkins article previewing the 1977 US Open that refers to the Hogan list:

"Another item. The most dangerous and torturous hole at Southern Hills is the par-4 12th: tight driver, long-to-medium iron, trees, water. Hogan selected it on his "All-American golf course." Tommy Bolt birdied 12 the first three rounds and parred it on the last 18, which amounted to more of a triumphant stroll than a round of competitive golf."

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1135732/index.htm

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2009, 10:59:41 AM »
Life Magazine July 20, 1942 :
All-American golf course selected : 18 different holes from different resorts (?)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 11:04:35 AM by Kyle Krahenbuhl »

Jason Topp

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2009, 11:07:07 AM »
Life Magazine July 20, 1942 :
All-American golf course selected : 18 different holes from different resorts (?)

I'm thinking that has to be it, but no author is listed.  It would be interesting to see what he chose.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2009, 04:06:26 PM »
George Peper picked #12 at Southern Hills as one of the best 18 holes in the world. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back