News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rick Sides

Wyncote Or Paxon Hollow
« on: May 17, 2009, 08:54:58 PM »
I may have a day off this week and I was tinking of taking a trip to either Paxon Hollow or Wyncote, both in PA.  Any suggestions on these two or others in area?

Michael Blake

Re: Wyncote Or Paxon Hollow
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 10:14:31 PM »
I would play here if it's in your price range:

www.glenmillsgolf.com   

Where are you coming from and what is your budget?

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 08:31:31 AM »
I second the Glen Mills nomination. However if the choice is limited to Paxon and Wyncote you have to go to Wyncote. I highly recommend Hartfeld National which is nearby as well.

Rick Sides

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 08:41:56 AM »
Rob,
Is Hartfeld private or public?

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 08:51:12 AM »
Hartefeld is now private but may have a "member for a day" program for access during weekdays. Give them a call.

www.hartefeld.com

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Dan Boerger

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 09:03:41 AM »
I like Paxson Hollow ... but I would recommend Wyncote between the two. I would put Glen Mills or Lederach above both however.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Joe Bausch

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 09:21:42 AM »
It is hard to compare the two courses as they are very different, IMO:

PH:  old-time course, not long, interesting greens, and nice bunkering.  If you are a big hitter, you'll not want to hit driver much.

Wyncote:  relatively new (1993) course that sort of started the whole CCFAD in the Philly area.  You can play it from as much as +7000 and hit driver plenty.  Wonderful bent grass greens that frequently roll as good as many private courses in the area.  Note that Friday is considered a weekend at Wyncote, and the rates go way up.  M-Th rates are quite reasonable, and a twilight rate of 18 bucks at 5 PM is really hard to beat.

If it was me, I'd come up late morning and play Inniscrone for 39 bucks, then make the short drive over to Wyncote for the twilight rate at 5 PM.  :)
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

D_Malley

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 09:21:49 AM »
why no love for Paxon Hollow.  if your interest is in golden age golf course architecture PH has it all over those others.  of course i am biasis.  we do have a couple of outings this week, so if you want to play PH let me know day and time and i can check availabilty.

Dan Boerger

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 10:08:11 AM »
I don't think there's any knock against Paxon Hollow here. Wyncote and PH are two very different courses -- both enjoyable for different reasons as Joe rightly articulates. I find Glen Mills the superior of either and that's where I would play if I had time for one round and wanted to stay in the Delaware/Chester county area.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Kyle Harris

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 09:32:16 PM »
Paxon Hollow all the way.

Wyncote is good, but you can play it at any other Ault/Clark Course.

There is nothing else like Paxon Hollow.

When are you playing?

BTW, what's up with the reading comprehensive? He asked about one or the other.... ;)

Rick Sides

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 09:44:37 PM »
I was thinking of maybe playing Thursday.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 10:00:36 PM »

BTW, what's up with the reading comprehensive? He asked about one or the other.... ;)

I don't know...I could have swore he asked about those two courses OR others.   :)

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Dave_Miller

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 09:37:39 AM »
I may have a day off this week and I was tinking of taking a trip to either Paxon Hollow or Wyncote, both in PA.  Any suggestions on these two or others in area?

Rick:
Personally I like Paxon Hollow.  Nice old course.  Formerly the site of White Manor CC and was a private club back in the day. :D
Best
Dave

Dan Boerger

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 10:21:54 AM »
Kyle - What Joe said! ;)

D_Malley

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 10:31:23 AM »
thursday at PHCC we have a 1:00 shotgun outing.  if you would like to play it must be before 8:30.

can someone explain to me what they like so much about Glen Mills?  My impression is that there are 3 or 4 pretty good holes but the rest of the course is pretty bland.  #1 may be the best hole on the course and one of the few greens with some real interest.

also i find that many PH frequent customers go over to GMills and shoot their personel best score froim tees that are 3-400 yards longer than they play at PH.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2009, 01:08:06 PM »
D_Malley,
You're riight about Glen Mills scoring.  I play about 8 shots better there than my home course, French Creek.  But that's not always a bad thing :)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back