News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Stephens

Dear GCA,

Here is the shortcut to Turnberry 2009 Open course layout for your information

http://www.mackenzieandebert.co.uk/Downloads/TurnberryBooklet.pdf

The new central bunkers on 10 reminds me of those on the 6th at Carnoustie

Cheers

Ben

Tony_Muldoon

Re: Turnberry 2009 Open Booklet showing course upgrades by M + E
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 06:34:36 PM »
Thanks Ben, can't wait.

Saw most of these changes two years ago and they looked good.

My least favourite hole is 11, and it's unscathed.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Chris Ord

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 07:40:22 PM »
Wow.  I played Turnberry 5 years ago, pre-changes, and really enjoyed it, but could see how the pros would just run amok.  The changes all seem to make sense, and definitely add teeth.  Although it seems like they relied a lot on adding penal bunkers in the driving area, 300 or so yards from the tee.  The centerline bunkers on 10 seem like they could be controversial.  When I first heard about the changes to 16, I didn't like what I heard.  But upon seeing it, the hole still seems to retain much of what I liked about it.  Ben, thanks for posting.

PCCraig

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 07:52:30 PM »
I'm not crazy about the new fairway on 16. I think it would of been more cool if they just kept the old fairway, and mowed all the way to the new bunker.

The new tee on 10 looks awesome!
H.P.S.

James Boon

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 05:36:01 PM »
Ben,

Great find and thanks for posting! Some great photos of the course in there.

A question for anyone who has played the course recently. I've never played Turnberry, so I'm curious if there is a big advantage to be gained for taking on the narrow strip on 10 between the sea and the bunkers?

Cheers,

James

ps Ben, See you Monday!
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell, Brora, Parkstone, Cavendish, Hallamshire, Sandmoor, Moortown, Elie, Crail, St Andrews (Himalayas & Eden), Chantilly, M, Hardelot Les Pins

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 11:04:16 PM »
Ben:

How nice of you to label them "upgrades" and save us from having to debate the merits of each!

[One of my favorite stories from my friend Ken Macpherson at Walton Heath was when they had asked his predecessor James Braid about the improvements to Walton Heath ... his reply was "You mean the alterations?"]  [Not sure if there should have been a question mark in that quote, either. :) ]

I actually did not know that Tom Mackenzie was involved in the work at Turnberry ... one of the press conferences from Peter Dawson seemed to imply that the R & A (or even Mr. Dawson personally) had decided on all the changes.

Niall C

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 06:52:09 AM »
James

I think you'll find that the new tee will be restricted to championship play only, could be wrong but certainly when I played there last year you weren't allowed to play off the back tee playing over the water.

Tom

I read a local press article last year which suggested the course manager had a hand in the matter, both in terms of design and implementing the works. If I recall he was taking credit for the idea of moving the 16th fairway to give room for the new 17th tee. That said, my memory might be faulty but thats what I remember anyway.

In terms of the R&A, clearly it isn't entirely there decision as to who Turnberry use but I would bet that when asked (and if they weren't asked I'm sure they would offer an opinion !) they would put forward a couple of names, Martin Hawtree being one and MacKenzie Ebert would likely be the other given Tom MacKenzies links with Donald Steel. Could be wrong, entirely speculation on my part.

Niall

Philippe Binette

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 10:55:37 AM »
All I know is that I was surprised to see that it was a par 69 for everyday play in 2006... they took a 510 par 5 (Open championship tee) out of play and move the tee forward at 490 and call it a par 4... thanks.

I thought it was a hard course... finished par-par-birdie-bogey to shoot 87 or something like that... I was a 8 hdcp at that time...

James Boon

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 08:34:53 AM »
Topical bump, for anyone that missed the link to the booklet on the recent work by MacKenzie and Ebert...
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell, Brora, Parkstone, Cavendish, Hallamshire, Sandmoor, Moortown, Elie, Crail, St Andrews (Himalayas & Eden), Chantilly, M, Hardelot Les Pins

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 09:32:05 AM »
There is also the annual R&A enviromental pamphlet to download at

http://www.randa.org/node/12608

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back