News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom MacWood

Re: The Merion Timeline
« Reply #2550 on: July 10, 2009, 12:35:17 PM »
Tom,

Oh yes, there clearly were experts at work. (see above)

Honestly, you know better how the term was used and I'm surprised you'd support David's contention here.

Perrin designed Merion?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 12:37:59 PM by Tom MacWood »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #2551 on: July 10, 2009, 12:38:55 PM »
Tom,

Oh yes, there clearly were experts at work. (see above)

Honestly, you know better how the term was used and I'm surprised you'd support David's contention here.

Perrin designed Merion?

Tom,

It's one thing to support a faulty, if debatable agenda.

It's another thing to be disengenous when you know how the term "expert" was used back then in golf.  

I don't expect that from you.  
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 12:54:32 PM by MCirba »

Tom MacWood

« Reply #2552 on: July 10, 2009, 12:57:04 PM »
Mike
Here is a link to American Golfer 1911. I've searched for the word 'expert'. Accept for the mention of tennis experts, accounting experts or caddie experts, the golfing experts are either professionals or course architects, like HH Barker.

http://search.la84foundation.org/search?q=expert&Author=&Keywords=1911&btnG=Search+LA84&sort=date%3AD%3AL%3Ad1&output=xml_no_dtd&oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF-8&client=default_frontend&proxystylesheet=default_frontend&filter=0&getfields=*&proxyreload=1&partialfields=Subject%3AAmerican+Golfer.Keywords%3A1911&c=American+Golfer

Please don't insult our intelligence.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #2553 on: July 10, 2009, 01:03:17 PM »
Tom,

American Golfer was a magazine by and for golf cognescenti of the time...the GCA of the time, if you will.  

To anyone else, including general correspondence to club members where most didn't play golf, or in many news accounts of the time as seen above, the top golfers were simply referred to as "experts".

I've just shown how Hugh Wilson was among the golf "experts" in the Metropolitan District in 1901.

The New York TIMES calls Hugh Wilson a GOLF EXPERT, listed right alongside CB Macdonald, Dev Emmett, and Walter Travis but we're supposed to disregard that because Tom MacWood and David Moriarty tell us what we're supposed to think and what they really meant?!??   ::)

This is just like the bastardized definition of "laid out".   Pure and utter revisionist nonsense.

I've also just shown where ALL of the members of the Merion Committee were among the top golfers in Philadephia the year the course opened.

They were the golf experts, Tom.

Please don't tell us we can't read with our own eyes.

p.s.   Where's H.J. Whigham?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 01:55:58 PM by MCirba »

Tom MacWood

« Reply #2554 on: July 10, 2009, 01:55:34 PM »
Tom,

American Golfer was a magazine by and for golf cognescenti of the time...the GCA of the time, if you will.  

To anyone else, including general correspondence to club members where most didn't play golf, or in many news accounts of the time as seen above, the top golfers were simply referred to as "experts".

I've just shown how Hugh Wilson was among the golf "experts" in the Metropolitan District in 1901.

The New York TIMES calls Hugh Wilson a GOLF EXPERT, listed right alongside CB Macdonald and Dev Emmett but we're supposed to disregard that because Tom MacWood and David Moriarty tell us what to think and what they really meant???

Are you saying that an article written in 1901 that states every golfer within 200 miles of NYC (no matter their handicap) is an expert should be our guide for an expert in 1911?

This is just like "laying out".   Pure and utter nonsense.

I've also just shown where ALL of the members of the Merion Committee were among the top golfers in Philadephia the year the course opened.

1. Philadelphia wasn't exactly a hotbed of amateur golf and amateur golfers in America (see the handicaps). 2. You would have to rent a fairly large hall to hold your group of top golfers. You have a lenient criteria.

They were the golf experts, Tom.

Whatever you say.

Please don't tell us we can't read with our own eyes.

p.s.   Where's H.J. Whigham?

My guess Whigham was living in Chicago in 1901, or maybe on assignment in South Africa. Wasn't he a correspondent during the Boer War?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 02:36:27 PM by Tom MacWood »

Tom MacWood

« Reply #2555 on: July 10, 2009, 01:59:18 PM »
Mike
Did Wilson have a real job at the time he built Merion?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 02:05:00 PM by Tom MacWood »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #2556 on: July 10, 2009, 02:02:00 PM »
Tom,

That is not what the article states.  

The article states that of the over 2500 golfers in the Metropolitan Golf Association, Hugh Wilson was in the top 2%.

The "experts" were those with a low enough handicap to qualify for Championship events.

Within the Philadelphia District a decade later, he remained in the top echelon, as did all of the other members of his committee.

Nice try at deflection, though.

The New York Times called him a golf expert.  

Maybe he forgot everything he knew over the next nine years?   ::) ;D
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 02:13:34 PM by MCirba »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #2557 on: July 10, 2009, 02:05:57 PM »
Mike
Did Wilson have a real job at the time he building Merion?

Tom,

He was in the Insurance Business, but so was Jay Sigel for many years.

In other words, let's just say that it's my understanding that if you own an Insurance Business, which he did with brother Alan, there is plenty of time for golf.

By 1910 he had a number of servants in his household, so I'm guessing he had some wealth, free-time, and he obviously devoted it to the golf course.

Besides, why couldn't he have done a one-day routing like Barker (as you believe), or a one-day routing like Macdonald/Whigham (as David believes), or a 2-hour routing like I did?

Why would he need more time than that?   ;)

Tom MacWood

« Reply #2558 on: July 10, 2009, 02:24:53 PM »
Mike
Did Wilson have a real job at the time he building Merion?

Tom,

He was in the Insurance Business, but so was Jay Sigel for many years.

In other words, let's just say that it's my understanding that if you own an Insurance Business, which he did with brother Alan, there is plenty of time for golf.

By 1910 he had a number of servants in his household, so I'm guessing he had some wealth, free-time, and he obviously devoted it to the golf course.

Besides, why couldn't he have done a one-day routing like Barker (as you believe), or a one-day routing like Macdonald/Whigham (as David believes), or a 2-hour routing like I did?

Why would he need more time than that?   ;)

Barker was more of a three or four day man.

November 24: Philadelphia Press reports Barker had been secured to design the course at Merion.

November 27: Cuyler writes Evans mentioning a 'golf course', and the need for flexibility.

December 1: NY Times reports Barker is off on a 3 week trip, and several new courses will be staked out as a result.

DMoriarty

« Reply #2559 on: July 10, 2009, 03:49:47 PM »
Was Wilson a good enough golfer that he would have been considered an "expert" as you know the term was bandied about in the early days of golf in this country?

As you know, Merion reported in January 1911 that "experts" were at work preparing plans for the new course.

That seems quite a stretch. I beleive it is more likely that the report was puffing  a bit. Boards have been lying, covering, and misrepresenting to the mebership since Og and Nog formed the Cavemans Club

I don't get this John?  Why is it that when we don't like what the sources say we just assume they were puffing or exaggerating or lying or too old or grieving or whatever, and then fill in whatever we want the meaning to be.  

-  H.J. Whigham, a well respected author, war correspondent, friend and adviser to presidents and prime ministers, magazine editor, was just a blubbering sentimental fool and a "fucking liar" when he listed Merion East as a CBM course.
-  Francis was all of 69 years old when he wrote about the land swap, so he most of been confused by old age and mistaken in his recollection.
-  Hugh Wilson was just being modest when he said his committee was in way over their heads, and just being gracious when he praised CBM and HJW for bailing them out.
-  Alan Wilson was just being gracious too when he praised M&W..  (And Alan couldn't have meant what he said about CBM helping with the lay out so we'll just doctor the record and take that out.)
-  Robert Lesley in 1914?  Just gracious.  
   Findlay in 1912?   Confused and a horrible writer, so ignore him.
-  AWT in 1912?  Couldn't have meant what he seems to be saying.
-  And Cuyler couldn't have meant what he wrote in his Nov. letter to Evans about Lloyd acting on behalf of HDC.
-  Lesley couldn't have meant what he said in his July 1, 1910 letter to the Merion's Board.  It was probably just propaganda.
-  And now the Board's announcement about the experts at work?  He was just exaggerating.  More propaganda.
-  And the list goes on.

It seems that many must think that it wasn't just Whigham . . . virtually everyone (including the men of Merion)who ever wrote anything contrary to the Merion legend must have been "fucking liar!"  

Call me crazy, but I have an alternative approach.  Instead of repeatedly manipulating the source material to fit with the Merion legend, why don't we try to take the source material at face value and see where that gets us?    Sometime before January 7, 1911, Merion's board announced that experts were at work planning the golf course, which in length, soil, and variety of hazards would rank among the best courses in the country.

Mike would have us believe that Hugh Wilson and his committee were the experts, but the more he tries to prove that Hugh Wilson was an expert at planning golf courses, the more it becomes evident that he was far from it.  

1.   Hugh Wilson himself knew he was not an expert.  He wrote that he was in over his head and that he and his committee did not know anything more about this stuff than the average golfing club member.   I'll take Hugh Wilson's word over Mike Cirba's speculations any day.

2.  Merion also knew that the likes of Hugh Wilson were not experts when it came to designing golf courses-- that is why they brought in such men as CB Macdonald, HJ Whigham and HH Barker!    There is a reason they did not go to Wilson, Francis, etc. to figure out if the land was adequate.  They wanted expert advice and M&W were the foremost experts!  There is a reason why Merion sent Wilson and his committee to NGLA to learn how to lay out the course--  M&W were experts and the men of Merion knew no more than the average golfing clubmen.  And there is a reason that Hugh Wilson was not in charge of determining the final routing.  Again, Merion wanted an expert to be in charge, and Hugh was not that expert.    

3.   Given that Merion had been turning to real experts from before the time they even purchased the land, it is absurd to think they suddenly decided that that a good club golfer who had been on the green committee at his college course around the turn of the century was expert enough.    

4.   Mike is misrepresenting how this term "expert" was used around this time.    Ask him to come up with the examples to prove that any good but not great golfer was considered enough of an expert to design a course rivaling the best in the country.  While he states it as if it were common knowledge, as is so often the case ou will find that he cannot back up his claim with the facts..

5.   Mike's description of Hugh Wilson's golfing accomplishments undermines his own case.  This guy was by no means an expert golfer, and was even less an expert on designing first class golf courses.   If these absurd attempts to bolster Wilson's level of expertise prove anything, it is that Mike is pretty much delusional when it comes to Hugh Wilson, and will write virtually anything to try and make his case.  

______________________________________________________________________________________

Mike, your posts are getting more and more absurd.  Let's come back down to life.   I answered your question, now you answer mine.

What exactly did Hugh Wilson do between being appointed sometime in January 1911 and seeding in September 1911.     Do you think he did something beyond what I wrote so what is it?   And please provide me with your sources for everythign you claim he did?

While your at it, perhaps you can explain to me how Hugh Wilson came up with some of the design ideas he must have had . . .   For just a few examples, why did he decide to attempt a replica of the Eden Green on the 15th hole?  And how did he plan to create a replica if he had never even seen the hole?  And why did he choose to stick the tee back behind the out of bounds/corner on what is now the 6th hole?      

And by the way Mike, you should be careful the way you are throwing Wilson under the bus by dismissing all of his efforts at Merion as merely check list stuff!     Seems a pretty outrageous way try and make your point about the design, becasuse if it turns out you are wrong, then you have nothing left to fall back on, and will have given him absolutely no credit at all.   Surely he deserves better from his most loyal fan!

Lastly Mike, I noticed that not even you will touch my offer of a friendly wager!  You've supposedly seen the minutes and not even you will stand by TEPaul's transcription as accurate.    That ought to tell the rest of us something.  
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 03:51:21 PM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #2560 on: July 10, 2009, 04:12:29 PM »
David,

We'll both get to see all of the evidence including the Cuyler letters when Wayne and Tom's book is released, per my understanding.

I think they might be holding back to generate buzz.

If the length of this thread is indication of interest in the topic, it may be marketing genius on their part.

In the meantime, we can continue to speculate.

For instance, what would you think about the Francis Swap and timing of the course routing if you learned that the boundaries for the golf course had not been definitely located as of late December, 1910?

I think personally that it meant the course hadn't been routed yet and probably not even started to be routed but that's just me.

DMoriarty

« Reply #2561 on: July 10, 2009, 05:01:48 PM »
Mike,

I am not sure we can call the self-publication of a 2000+ page manuscript a "release," nor do I see any reason why anyone would attempt to build a "buzz" for such a thing.  Plus, I have been promised that I will never see the book.   Hardly sounds like much of a release to me.  But onto more important endeavors than speculating about something that probably will never be finished.  

You are still avoiding my questions, and after I had the courtesy to answer yours. . .

What exactly did Hugh Wilson do between being appointed sometime in January 1911 and seeding in September 1911.     Do you think he did something beyond what I wrote so what is it?   And please provide me with your sources for everything you claim he did?

While your at it, perhaps you can explain to me how Hugh Wilson came up with some of the design ideas he must have had . . .   For just a few examples, why did he decide to attempt a replica of the Eden Green on the 15th hole?  And how did he plan to create a replica if he had never even seen the hole?  And why did he choose to stick the tee back behind the out of bounds/corner on what is now the 6th hole?

Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #2562 on: July 10, 2009, 05:43:33 PM »
David,

We'll both get to see all of the evidence including the Cuyler letters when Wayne and Tom's book is released, per my understanding.

I think they might be holding back to generate buzz.

With due respect Mike, that's the funniest thing I've read in quite some time. 

(For god's sake, please don't think I'm taking sides here; consider me willfully ignorant and non-aligned). 

DMoriarty

« Reply #2563 on: July 10, 2009, 05:45:38 PM »

Was Hugh Wilson an "Expert" at Planning Golf Courses as the Term was Commonly Used at the Time?

Mike has often claimed that the term "expert" was  bandied about very loosely back then and "referred to golfing prowess, not architectural acumen."  As usual he does not back up his claims with any support.  

I just did a quick search and took a look at 25+ articles where an "expert" was described as having been responsible for the design of a new golf course between the years 1909 and 1912.   There were many "experts" named, some I had heard of like  Bendelow (many listings), Sargent, H.H. Barker, and H.  Chandler Egan, and some I hadn't heard of like Joe Peacock, Nicol Thompson, and Frank Orchard, but they were generally all professionals and/or champion golfers.  In fact they may ALL have been professionals (I am not sure about Egan and Sargent who were designers) with one possible exception.  

The one possible exception is "John Laing, Huntington Valley Club expert."   Mr. Laing won $50 to plan a course over the grounds of the York Road Club.  

As we can see from the article, PLANNING THE COURSE WAS NOT DONE IN CONJUNCTION WITH LAYING IT OUT ON THE GROUND.

Does anyone know if Mr. Laing was a professional at HVGC?  

Regardless, I think it is safe to say that despite Mike's protestations to the contrary, in the context of planning courses, "expert" did not mean a 8 handicap amateur golfer.      "Expert" in that circumstance was almost always synomous with golf professional and/or experienced golf course designers.    A good amateur club player did not a golf architect make.  

Mike is just plain wrong.

So that leaves Barker and M&W as the possible "experts" MCC referred to as working on the plans.  

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #2564 on: July 10, 2009, 05:47:48 PM »
Tim,

The comment was intended to be tongue-in-chhek funny. 

Lord knows it gets dreadfully serious around these parts much too often, ;)

Tim Pitner

« Reply #2565 on: July 10, 2009, 05:54:06 PM »
Tim,

The comment was intended to be tongue-in-chhek funny. 

Lord knows it gets dreadfully serious around these parts much too often, ;)

Ah, well done then.  Sorry for being obtuse. 

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #2566 on: July 10, 2009, 05:59:53 PM »
David,

That's simply and verifiably untrue.

Joe Bausch found any number of articles, such as the committee of "experts" working on Cobb's Creek that included George Klauder and Ab Smith.

I'd say maybe it's a Philly thing but as you can see above, the NY Times called Hugh Wilson and expert right above and every man on the committee at Merion was in the very top few of the 400 golf members at the time.

Coincidence?  No way.

Btw...perhaps Griscom came up with the Eden green?  He was in Europe in 1909 and many times prior.

It was a committee, remember; a committee of golf experts.

DMoriarty

« Reply #2567 on: July 10, 2009, 06:06:58 PM »
I knew I had seen the name, but it was Jim Laing, not John Laing as reported.  He was the greenkeeper at Huntington Valley and implimented some ideas for the course in 1909 that Tillinghast thought were "excellent."

Here are a couple of photos of his work, which may help give an idea of why I view Merion as a revolutionary departure from what had gone on in Philadelphia at the time.

A feature added short of the 14th green, described as sand covered by sod on the sides:

A sand trap added to the front of the 17th green:

DMoriarty

« Reply #2568 on: July 10, 2009, 06:13:40 PM »
Mike,

I just did a search of newspapers nationwide for the period of 1909-1912 and looked at the first 25+ where the a person responsible for the design was called an expert and not a single one was an "expert" as you describe the term.

I don't give a damn about what happened in 1916.  Have Joe do the research for you and I am sure his results, if fully presented will concur with mine.   Expert was almost always synonymous with professional, and/or someone who had experience designing courses.   

Show me the "hundreds" of club members who were called experts at designing and building golf course just because they were good golfers.  But do it for the relevant time period;  AROUND 1910-1911.   

Rather than you implying that I am a liar, let's see what you can come up with.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #2569 on: July 10, 2009, 06:31:25 PM »
David,

Your making my point for me.  Who today would call Jimmy Laing an expert, yet there you go!

Besides, Tom MacWood thinjs the expert was Barker.

Were there more than one of him?

DMoriarty

« Reply #2570 on: July 10, 2009, 07:18:05 PM »
David,

Your making my point for me.  Who today would call Jimmy Laing an expert, yet there you go!

Nonsense Mike.  Jim Laing was a professional greenskeeper with apparent design experience.  He wasn't called a "golf expert" because he may or may not have been a decent golfer, he was called a "golf expert" because of his work.

Are you going to prove up your claim about how good golfers were considered experts at designing golf courses?

Besides, Tom MacWood thinjs the expert was Barker.

Were there more than one of him?

Is this really what you are reduced to?   

As far as I know there was one H.H. Barker and he may well have been involved at this time, but I think Tom MacWood would agree that CBM and HJW were still very much in the mix as well.

Mike,  I'd like you to answer my questions above about specific evidence of HJW's activities and contributions to the design of Merion East, with factual support.   Why are you avoiding this question?   If he designed the course surely you must be able to come up with some factual support for what he was specifically doing?  Can you?   

I saw the nonsense you wrote above about Rodman Griscom maybe designing the Eden.  I am not interested in wild speculation.  Is there any specific evidence that Griscom designed the Eden or anything else at Merion East?  Can you describe his design activities?   If so let's have it.   

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #2571 on: July 10, 2009, 08:23:13 PM »
David,

Jimmy Laing had no design experiemce.

I've played the course and researched the history years ago.

What's left of the course is a nine holer called the Abington Club.

Laing won a contest to design it and a fifty dollar prize.

DMoriarty

« Reply #2572 on: July 10, 2009, 08:40:45 PM »
Laing won a contest to design it and a fifty dollar prize.

Mike, did you not see above where I wrote just this and included the article?   Do you ever read anything?   If you had read it you would know I was referring to Huntington Valley, not York Road.   In 1909 Tillinghast wrote about improvements to Huntington Valley:

"The green committee at "The Valley" is to be congratulated because of the able assistance of the green keeper, Jim Laing, whose ideas are most excellent. The new pits are all well placed and have improved of bunkering and changes at Huntington valley and noted that Laing had the course immensely;—and by the way I have never seen Huntingdon Valley in better condition than at present. A very novel hazard has been placed on the fourteenth green and when first viewed the huge sodded mound of sand appears rather extraordinary. However it serves the purpose of making the pitch to the tin very accurate."

Note that while Laing had the ideas and apparently did the work it is the green committee at the valley that is congratulated.  

The other article isn't referring to him as a golfer, but for his occupation and experience.

Setting Laing aside, as he was the only one that wasn't obviously a professional and/or a designer, we still have ZERO references to golfers considered experts at designing courses merely because they were good golfers.  

And you still haven't answered my questions about what Hugh Wilson.   Are you going to answer them?  
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 08:54:20 PM by DMoriarty »

DMoriarty

« Reply #2573 on: July 10, 2009, 09:32:49 PM »
It is a terribly tedious process Dave.   We are going step by step through all of Mike's absurd and unsupportable notions that he throws out there as if they are obvious and undisputable.  His latest is that he claims that good club golfers were considered "experts" at designing courses and even said there were "hundreds" of examples.  

I've looked at a bunch of articles and in this context "expert" pretty much refers to golf professionals and/or someone who has designed other courses.     Mike has no proof for his hyperbolic claim, but my guess is he will just keep avoiding my questions.  

My guess is that we will all be dead and these guys still will not have honestly addressed the facts. 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 09:34:36 PM by DMoriarty »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #2574 on: July 10, 2009, 10:35:03 PM »
David,

Ab Snith was responsible at HVGC for the design changes, not Laing.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back