News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Re: The Merion Timeline, or Jeff Brauer Unties The Gordian Knot!
« Reply #1975 on: June 29, 2009, 07:55:33 PM »
Jeff,

Fortunately, we're not married to each other, hence going our seperate ways will be effortless.

I think we agree on many facets of Merion's history.
One of my principle points was that we can't exclude issues just because they're not popular with everyone.

I hope that Wayno and TEPaul find more information, it can only help in unraveling the mystery.

What you and others seemed to have forgotten was that I initially opposed David Moriarty's and Tom MacWood's premise regarding CBM's involvement.  But, as they produced additional information I was persuaded to give their position degrees of credibility previously withheld.

I see that you have also been persuaded to alter your initial position on this and related issues.

What I'm surprised about, is that it took you close to 60 pages to finally agree with me.
Your ex-wife said it would take 135 ;D

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #1976 on: June 29, 2009, 08:44:07 PM »
Pat,

Well, I originally supported DM's basic argument and basically turned to the TePaul side. One of us is a democrat and the other is a republican, I guess.  I guess I always knew CBM was involved, but the release of so many documents showed in a bit more detail just how, at least to me.  I always felt this was about fleshing out the details and to some degree, we have done that.

It really seemed that you were trying to not exclude issues for other reasons than popularity. I mean, there are enough fence sitters out there that you won't please everyone.

It should be easy to stay separated, I am filing a restraining order keeping you from entering Texas.......
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #1977 on: June 29, 2009, 08:52:43 PM »
Patrick,

Yes, everyone at Merion and in Philadelphia have to now fess up to their horrible crime....the sad, purposeful, neglecting of the brilliant H.H. Barker routing of their golf course that was hidden like the crazy uncle in the closet until David Moriarty wrote that it was discarded in favor of a Macdonald/Whigham routing that we then found out never existed, so you and the other Conspiracy Theorists had to go back to Barker because it HAD to be someone other than Hugh Wilson, even people who were on Wilson's committee who just happened to be moonlighting by themselves before they had any responsibility and even though Richard Francis told us he was "added" to Hugh Wilson's committee, and after all, we know Barker drew a rough sketch for Connell that strangely was not attached to any of the official correspondence to Merion in June 1910 and even though the name HH Barker was never mentioned again in any of Merion's documents for the next 100 years we now know it was him because you guys are completely shooting blanks as every one of your respective hypothetical theories have been shown to be fallacious, contrary to facts, at odds with timelines and contemporaneous accounts and complete and utter bullshit.

And yes, Patrick...you are so objective and unbiased.   I see how difficult it's been for you switching horses from the architect of NGLA, a course you've referred to in about 75% of the threads you've started here in the past decade...Macdonald, to a former pro at a club your a member of, Garden City.

There are Iranian mullahs who will give a fairer trial to the protesters than you have to Hugh Wilson   ::)  ;)

Other than that, I really don't want to argue with you over stuff where you guys have ZERO evidence and that we've all gone round on time and again.  

Jeff has presented a simple, yet elegant theory on what happened, so why don't you read Jeff's theory and tell us all why it's factually inaccurate because I'm sure your mind is quite made up prior to reading it.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 08:54:34 PM by MCirba »

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #1978 on: June 29, 2009, 09:00:52 PM »
Mike,

I am reminded of the old joke:

What is the difference between an ex wife (or Pat Mucci) and a terrorist?

You can reason with a terrorist!

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #1979 on: June 29, 2009, 09:03:36 PM »
Mike,

OH...I thought it had something to do with using GREEN TYPE   ;)  ;D

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #1980 on: June 29, 2009, 09:37:29 PM »
Patrick,

Yes, everyone at Merion and in Philadelphia have to now fess up to their horrible crime....the sad, purposeful, neglecting of the brilliant H.H. Barker routing of their golf course that was hidden like the crazy uncle in the closet until David Moriarty wrote that it was discarded in favor of a Macdonald/Whigham routing that we then found out never existed,

Mike, You and others tried to ram down our throats that Wilson was THE router and designer of Merion.
Thanks to the efforts that were a result of David's opinion piece, we now know that the "party line" was flawed, that there was far more to the story and myths about Merion.

Don't you recall how you vehement you were in claiming that Wilson sailed to the UK before 1912 ?
Well, you were dead wrong on that, yet you carried on, screaming that David was wrong, over and over and over again.
We've learned that your methodology is to first draw a conclusion and then try to limit frame the information to fit your conclusion.
Not exactly SOP in academia.

so you and the other Conspiracy Theorists had to go back to Barker because it HAD to be someone other than Hugh Wilson, even people who were on Wilson's committee

You're wrong again.
The contemporaneous information produced didn't substantiate the accepted "party line" that Wilson routed and designed Merion.
I can't speak for others, but, my interest was to try to obtain as much information as possible, whereas your position was to squelch and/or dismiss any effort to learn more about Merion's history.

Your constant yet erroneous pronouncements regarding final conclusions were what I objected to the most.
You wanted to stifle the discovery process and debate while I wanted to encourage both.

who just happened to be moonlighting by themselves before they had any responsibility and even though Richard Francis told us he was "added" to Hugh Wilson's committee, and after all, we know Barker drew a rough sketch for Connell that strangely was not attached to any of the official correspondence to Merion in June 1910

I've tried to educate you with respect to exhibits and correspondence presented at Board meetings, but, it doesn't fit your predetermined conclusions, hence, you deny that the Board ever saw Barker's routing, which defies "prudent man" logic.

and even though the name HH Barker was never mentioned again in any of Merion's documents for the next 100 years

That's irrelevant and another example of your enormous leaps of faux logic.
According to your logic we should accept that Wilson actually sailed before 1912 and that Crump actually died from a tooth infection that spread to his brain.

If we've learned one thing from David Moriarty and Tom MacWood, it's to question the accuracy of club histories.
Club histories aren't written by outsiders.
They're usually written by those with a purpose or goal.

we now know it was him because you guys are completely shooting blanks as every one of your respective hypothetical theories have been shown to be fallacious, contrary to facts, at odds with timelines and contemporaneous accounts and complete and utter bullshit.

Just the opposite is true.

Barker's involvement is documented .... by Merion.
Yet, we have no contemporaneous documentation circa 1909-1911 that Wilson routed or designed the golf course.
The only thing we have is you screaming from the hilltops, or at the train station, that Wilson and no one else was substantively involved at Merion.

I don't know what happened, but, I'm sure as hell not going to accept your version.
I'd like to find out what happened.
You on the other hand want to stifle all further investigation and claim that your position is victorious.
Yet, your position has changed time and time again.

And yes, Patrick...you are so objective and unbiased.  

I'm glad we finally agree.

I see how difficult it's been for you switching horses from the architect of NGLA, a course you've referred to in about 75% of the threads you've started here in the past decade...Macdonald, to a former pro at a club your a member of, Garden City.

Once again, you've resorted to your old tactics of distorting, exaggerating and misrepresenting the facts and truth.
Once again, you've got your facts wrong.

Why don't you actually count the threads I've started and then count the NGLA threads I've started.
It may surpise you to see that you're off by a good 70 %

There are Iranian mullahs who will give a fairer trial to the protesters than you have to Hugh Wilson   ::)  ;)

My position doesn't revolve around Wilson.
It revolves around determining the author/s/architect/s at Merion.
If information is produced that clearly identifies Wilson as the router, hole and feature designer that would be great..
I'll be glad that the author/architect has been identified vis a vis documentation, not lore.
You seem to think that I have a vendetta against Wilson.
Nothing could be further from the truth.

Other than that, I really don't want to argue with you over stuff where you guys have ZERO evidence and that we've all gone round on time and again.  

Mike, if ever a guy argued with zero evidence it was you on the issue of Wilson's trip abroad.
Barker's routing is a matter of Merion's official contemporaneous record.
We have no such official contemporaneous record from Merion regarding anyone else supplying a routing other than the committee in collaboration with CBM.  Don't you want to learn more ?  

Jeff has presented a simple, yet elegant theory on what happened, so why don't you read Jeff's theory and tell us all why it's factually inaccurate because I'm sure your mind is quite made up prior to reading it.

Mike, I'v read it.  I questioned it and I addressed the specific questions that Jeff posed to me.

I do not accept all of Jeff's conclusions and have stated why, so you need not ask me to put forth my views again, just reread my posts.

I believe more needs to be learned before we confer attribution.

You on the other hand had coronated Wilson long ago.

I want to learn more, and you want to end the discovery process and debate.

I've stated repeatedly that I'd like to learn more about Francis's role, especially considering his qualifications.
I know that you and others will cite Francis's own demure words, but, I think his involvement might have rivaled or paralleled Raynors.

Time may tell.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #1981 on: June 29, 2009, 09:44:59 PM »
Mike,

Jeff,

I've heard a similar version of that joke, and yes, I enjoyed it along with the modification that includes me.

But, I ask you, who's more reasonable, a divorced man who invites his ex-wife to family functions and holidays, along with her new husband, or a divorced man who villifies his ex-wife by placing her in the company of terrorists and me ?
A man who has a restraining order issued for the entire state of Texas ?
A state that would be the third largest state in the Union if they cut Alaska in half.

Can't we all just get along ?  ;D   ;D   ;D

ChipOat

« Reply #1982 on: June 29, 2009, 09:50:14 PM »
At first, I was only going to post the following question: "Did anybody actually think this thread would close at post # 1776?".  I surely didn't!

However, in scrolling to find the bottom of this page, I did read an exchange between Pat Mucci and Mike Cirba about which, as a bona fide linear thinker (not always a good thing), I feel compelled to comment.  Note that I consider both principals to be friends and that my comment is not specifically related to the subject of who did/did not "design" (whatever that word means) the East Course.

Mike:  I'm afraid I must support Patrick's assertion that "even though there is no proof that something happened, one cannot declare unequivocally that it did not happen".  While I agree with you that lack of smoke often means there wasn't a fire, there is a popular investment book these days called "The Black Swan" that is, basically, all about the accuracy of Patrick's logic.  The title of the book is drawn from the fact that, although nobody outside of Australia had ever seen a black swan in all the thousands of years of recorded history, that was not any guarantee that black swans don't exist (they do) even though generations of learned naturalists were sure they did not.

I don't have any idea what Barker's role really was, but I do agree with Patrick that we can't absolutely, positively know the answer to that question.  Based on what I've read, your conclusion on the matter seems highly likely to be accurate, but it can't be demonstrated to be 100% correct at this time.

Again, I ask: "Did anybody really think this thread would end at post #1776?".

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #1983 on: June 29, 2009, 09:57:22 PM »
Pat,

You do a little twisting yourself. Are you related to Chubby Checker?

Chipoat,

Is the black swan relevant?  No one saw it because no one was looking, and no one was there.

Patrick's assertion that "even though there is no proof that something happened, one cannot declare unequivocally that it did not happen".  Okay, I agree, sure.  I am dealing in likihoods, not OJ type conspiracy theories.  If there is no proof, then I have little trouble concluding that something didn't happen.

As to Wilson and Co being primarily responsible, well we have proof. But conspirancists will discredit the club record, spend 10 posts trying to discredit Mike and I for nit picky little things and then espouse that the big picture just can't be true, etc.  Its lawyering at its worst in Pat's case.  What a way to break up a nice little friendly discussion.  Like you, Pat has NO idea what Barker's role is, but argues that it HAS TO BE bigger than MCC says, just because they acknowledge he was there in June.

What a waste of my time.

ChipOat

« Reply #1984 on: June 29, 2009, 10:03:41 PM »
Jeff Brauer,

The Black Swan is relevant in regards to Patrick's logic on this particular question - I'm not going any further than that.

Also, I did say that Mike's (and your) conclusion(s) sound highly likely to be correct as far as I'm concerned.

As for the rest of this brawl, count me out.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #1985 on: June 29, 2009, 10:29:10 PM »
Mike, Tom Macwood asked me to post this for him:

Mike
Here is a link to 'Hugh Wilson - An Ongoing Investigative Journey'

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,32632.msg644817/

There is nothing in that thread that implies he was independently wealthy in 1910 or at anytime. There is nothing to indicate he was a magnetic personality. Regarding his status as an elite golfer this is your timeline for his competitive career leading up to 1910.

May 9, 1897:  GAP match for Belmont team
Dec 4, 1897:  GAP tourney
Dec 5, 1897:  match at Philly CC
Mar 6, 1898:  story calls him 'king' golfer at Belmont and that he doesn't play when the weather gets cold.
May 8, 1898:  interclub match playing for Philly CC
May 18, 1901:  named captain of golf team
1902: On the Princeton GC green committee at the time new course constructed
May 11, 1902:  NCAA match at Garden City
June 14, 1903: better ball tourney
Sept 27, 1903:  GAP qualifier
Nov 4, 1903:  wins Election Day Trophy tourney at St Davids
May 8, 1904:  interclub match
May 26, 1904: Stevenson Cup qualifier (playing for Merion)
May 28, 1905: GAP match at HVCC (for Merion)
June 4, 1905: GAP match vs Mt. Airy
May 24 and July 1, 1906:  tourneys at Merion
April 21, 1907:  named to play in 4/27/07 Chevy Chase match
May 3, 1908: intercity match vs Washington

Unlike Leeds, Macdonald or even Crump he was not a nationally ranked golfer and did not compete nationally, never in the US Am or US Open like those three, and never named to the Lelsey Cup team, saved for the best players in Philadelphia. He did not travel overseas. Regarding his architectural aptitude or interest there is nothing pre-1910. And you claimed he played over these courses while at Princeton (1898 to 1902) to show his experience:

Myopia Hunt
Garden City
Chicago
Lakewood
Baltusrol
St. Andrews
Essex County
Philadelphia Cricket
Philadelphia Country Club
Richmond County
Morris County
Midlothian
Exmoor
Atlantic City
Ardsley
Misquamicut

Princeton and Wilson did not play at Myopia, Essex County or Misquamicut. Harvard had their own golf course, the former Cambridge GC, however Princeton did not travel to Harvard during those years. They did not play over any of the Chicago courses (Chicago, Midlothian and Exmoor) during his tenure. GCGC was the most significant course he played, but one must remember the 1902 version was not the later post-Travis version. This is the corrected list:

Garden City
Lakewood
Baltusrol
St. Andrews
Philadelphia Cricket
Philadelphia Country Club
Richmond County
Morris County
Atlantic City
Ardsley

I'm still waiting for someone to come up with a logical explanation why Lloyd and company would put the design responsibilities in the hands of a complete novice. They had already brought in the two top architects to inspect the property, they hired the top construction firm in the country (out of Boston) to build the course and brought in top grass expert Reginald Beale from the UK.

Jim
I don't believe Merion and Pine Valley are comparable examples. Merion was an old established club with a large membership (and an established hierarchy) that was moving from one site to another. PV was a brand new club started by the independently wealthy Crump and his Lesley Cup cronies. Crump had travelled overseas and studied the top British courses. He was also a regular in national events. Crump purchased the property with his own money and the original plan was to have 18 investors design 18 different holes.  That idea was soon abandoned and they brought in HS Colt to lay out the course, arguably the top architect in the world.

TM

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #1986 on: June 29, 2009, 10:40:46 PM »
Doesn't everything cancel itself out? That CBM was brought in after Barker cancels out Barker. And then CBM's imagined 6,000 yard course (a boiler plate set of yardages) cancels HIMSELF out - the "himself" being the foremost promoter of template holes (for lack of a better word) in America.

Again - and under the assumption that this whole thread, for all its detail and debate and hard slogging by some great posters, is all about trying to decide whether the routing was or wasn't done before Wilson got involved -- there is a big difference between hole "concepts" and hole "placements".  

This whole debate has been framed -- by both sides -- in the only way it could be to virtually ENSURE that the debate would be ENDLESS.

But maybe that's the way people actually WANT it.

Peter
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 11:00:56 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #1987 on: June 29, 2009, 10:43:38 PM »
Wasn't there something about Wilson being involved with the Harvard Course some years earlier?

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #1988 on: June 29, 2009, 11:43:23 PM »
Mike,

That is apparently an oblique reference to their clay soils (vs the ideal of sand) and all the advice CBM gave them on agronomy, not to mention, it apparently was a struggle to grow the grass in.

Jeff,

Yes, but I'm focused on his use of the word, "Another", as in "Another problem facing the committee".

It's usage tell us that something preceding it was also a problem addressed by the committee.

Make sense?

At the risk of sounding like an idiot, I don't get what you're struggling with.  He starts talking about fitting the last five holes in - that's problem one.  Then he segues into crossing Ardmore becominga problem - that problem #2.  Then he says there's yet another problem facing the committee - the soil was crappy.  The flow of the article seems pretty logical to me; the preceding problems were fitting in the last five holes and the crossings of Ardmore.  What are you trying to get at here?

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #1989 on: June 30, 2009, 12:09:25 AM »
Bryan,

As I've said before, I think the work you've done on this thread is of the utmost value and I really appreciate it.   If it appears I was implying otherwise then I regret that error because I think you've been instrumental in helping to solve this case..  

I did find the snippet where that quote about 13 acres came from.   It's from a brief article in January 1911 in a Philadelphia newspaper that is unattributed, and I'm not sure which paper it came from.

One other item of interest is that it states that CBM, Whigham, and Barker all inspected the property prior to purchase.   You'd think it would say that either or all of them designed the course by this stage, wouldn't you?  Or at least just call it a Lloyd/Francis design.   ;)

Boy...for someone you say is trying to stifle debate I'm sure spending a lot of time putting source material out here.  ;)  

Mike,

Thanks for posting this.  It's another factoid, for whatever it's worth.  I'll get to what it might mean in another post or two, although I'm sure you can guess where I'm going.

If it had said who's design it was, then we'd have one more nail in the coffin that you keep trying to close, but it doesn't, so we can't, much to the dismay of some (probably including you).   ;)

I do commend you for posting the original source material.  To be a bit whiny - it's too bad that you can't get the other key pieces that are alluded to - the Lesley report, Cuyler's letter(s), .........    :'(  (No need to metaphorically throw anything at this point.)

With regard to your previous OT point about it saying the old MCC course was 60 acres, I did look it up on the RR maps, and they have the course property at 71 acres; which of course contradicts the MCC web site that said it was 100 acres.  Surrounded by nice neighbors.  Nice to see the ladies got to hold the Estate properties.  Yet another "factual" conundrum, 60 vs 71 vs 100.  And, no I'm not going to measure it or get deeds or anything else.  And I'm sure as hell not going to ask Jeff to comment on it - I don't want to provoke any more restraining orders.   ::)

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #1990 on: June 30, 2009, 12:20:52 AM »
Jim/Bryan,

Since both of you have been very much of the Literal Interp of Francis camp, while I have you here, perhaps you can address the question of how you think he swapped a 4.8 acre triangle for "the land now covered by fine homes along Golf House Road"?

Mike,

I'm not sure I can be counted firmly in the LIFS camp.  I prefer to think of it as, I'm looking for a unifying theory that can accommodate both LIFS and the land plan and the 117 acre statement and the 120 acre deed.

As to how the swap might have taken place, read my back posts.  My one foray into speculation was based on your equidistant curvilinear road concept and LIFS and the acreages worked out quite nicely, including the area where the fine homes sat in 1950.  But, you didn't like that theory.  :'(

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #1991 on: June 30, 2009, 12:24:37 AM »
Mike,

You are so bent on this thing having two distinct sides that you assume because Bryan and David (who also disagree with your conclusions) may have come up with 122 acres I would change my tune...that's been a major theme throughout the discussions from you and it hasn't helped move it along. I have major disagreements with David's premise, but agree with his disagreement of your conclusions...and I haven't actually seen a theory or premise of Bryan's so I can't speak to it.

I don't care who came up with 122, but Jeff's theory is 100% dependent upon the "approximate road" being used as a formal boundary line prior to the swap for negative 2 acres...the same Plan that measures out to 122 acres was created by a professional survey/engineering company, are you suggesting they were so incompetent that they mismeasured the northern part of the property by 10%? Why would a Plan measuring 122 acres be used in conjunction with a proposal that states the committee had already "secured" 117 acres?

Mike,

Like Jim says.

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #1992 on: June 30, 2009, 02:31:07 AM »
Jim,

My theory doesn't depend on the approximate road being the working boundary....my theory is that the approximate road WAS the working boundary!  Yes, that is the point. It's 100% dependent on a document we have, too.  No one else can say that.

Now, I will admit that mine is a guess or a theory because, barring seance, no one alive then can come back and tell us what really happened. Such is the nature of research into history.  At least we aren't looking at fossils and relying on carbon dating!

That said, is it better to rely on what we have, or to rely on something we don't have?  To explain the evidence that is out there or require some non-existant evidence to make our point?  Obviously, not everyone in this discussion wants to come to a consensus.  If we were intersested in a consensus, I think most would say (perhaps grudgingly) that my theory is the best one to build that consensus on at least as it relates to the boundary.

If Pat M wants to say "just because there is no evidence of something, doesn't mean its not true" or you want to keep all options open until further notice rather than try to move to closure, then Mike and I are pissing in the wind.

Of course, its your right, and its presumptuous of us to think others want closure just because we do, so the debate continues, even absent anyone providing anything more concrete, other than they don't agree.

Mike,

I'm really addressing this to you, since you are trying to draw closure based on Jeff's theory (and, God knows Jeff doesn't want any more frustrating nitpicking)

So, let me try to state Jeff's theory in a way that makes sense to me about what he and you are trying to say.  The quotes are Jeff's.

1)   "Actually, my little piece of the puzzle probably isn't all that signifgant anyway. All I did was posit that there was no interim boundary line of 117 acres.  The fact that there is no legal deed of such, which would surely be recorded in the plat office is one indication. The math is a second."

2)   "my theory is that the approximate road WAS the working boundary!  Yes, that is the point. It's 100% dependent on a document we have, too."

3)   "But, there is no evidence that there was some other boundary other than the Nov 15 Map."

4)   "The way the acreages we KNOW work out, it almost had to be that the Nov 10 plan was the working western boundary.  There is nothing in the documentation, other than the amount of acres they agreed to buy from HDC (117, but never delineated until the final deed in July 1911) and the deed that says they did buy 120.01."

5)   "Using our various measurements my theory is a very likely explanation or how 117 became 120 because the acreages do work out using the November plan and the final alignments and deed."

6)    "I get 2.57 and 0.7 acres to MCC on that drawing, after measuring a little more carefully.

I get 0.675 up north to HDC and 4.775 near the clubhouse to HDC.

Actually, these last few drawings sort of confirm my theory IMHO, providing Bryan's "just over122" acre originally delineated road is correct:

Original MCC delineated acres - 122.3
New Road (As Built)

To HDC 4.775 + 0.675 = 5.45
To MCC 2.57 + 0.699 = 3.26

122.3 - 5.45 + 3.26 = 120.1 acres"

From this I understand that you wish to conclude that these were the swaps, and that Jeff wants to rest on this being the likeliest swapping based on the available information.

From this I understand that you want to conclude that a literal acceptance of Francis' description of the swap is not possible, and that what he really meant was that the dimensions of 130 x 190 mean the final dimensions after the multiple swaps were effected as shown on Jeff's map.

And, you want to conclude that the swaps had to therefore have happened some time between the Nov. 15, 1910 map and the July 26, 1911 deed.

Is that a fair summary?

I would dispute the first hypothesis, that there was no interim boundary for the 117 acres.  There is no evidence that there wasn't.  In fact, in the back posts, Tom stated that there were metes and bounds for the 117 acres.

Point 2 is debatable.  It gives ascendancy to the "approximate" road boundary on the land plan, (which doesn't measure 117 acres), over the MCC stated and publicly reported securing of 117 acres.  It's a matter of convenience for your theory, because you don't have the 117 acre boundary, or even know that one never existed.  It's logic, but I believe, fallacious logic.

Re point 3, there is equally no evidence that there wasn't.  Sorry for the double negative, but when you're trying to accept one conjecture, I think you have to acknowledge the alternative, double negative or not.

Point 4 is flawed logic.  You have three numbers, 117, 120 and 122.  You have boundaries for the 122 and the 120, but not the 117, so you've decided to use the two for which you have boundaries, and then claim that "The way the acreages we KNOW work out, it almost had to be that the Nov 10 plan was the working western boundary."  That is circular logic at its worst.  How could they not work out?  You start with 122 acres inside the approximate road and go to 120 acres inside the as-built GHR.  It is axiomatic that the "gives" and "takes" are going to add up to 2 acres.  So, I don't get how that proves that the approximate road was the working western boundary.  All it proves is that the approximate road defines an area that is two acres larger than the deeded 120 acres of July 26, 1991 that is defined by GHR.

Re point 5, how could the measurements in the diagram or in the text following, prove that the "theory is a very likely explanation or how 117 became 120".  You have never used any measurements for the 117 acres, because nobody currently has those measurements. The only thing your measurements show is the gives and takes between an approximate road and the as-built GHR.

So, based on what I think are assumptions and false logic, I can certainly not come to the conclusions that you do, Mike.  Jeff is saying that these are the most likely swaps based on the 122 acre land plan being the working boundary, even though it flies in the face of the other factual information that we have, the dimensions written by Francis. 

To me, in the neutral corner, I'd say that the book is still open, despite your attempts to close it.  Let's try to discover more facts that allow us to come up with a unifying theory that accommodates all the "facts" or that disproves some of the currently known facts.

Now, off to figure out the 13 acre article.

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #1993 on: June 30, 2009, 03:21:37 AM »

Mike posted a quote from this article a while ago, but I must have missed it.  Very interesting article.  We’ve heard in other posts about various properties being optioned, but I don’t recall this one being mentioned, other than in this article.

This article reports on Lloyd purchasing the 117 acres for Merion and that HDC still owns 221 acres in an adjoining tract, adding up to the magical 338 acres.

The article goes on to state that: “Mr Lloyd has also obtained from the company (HDC) an option on 13 acres additional, which will probably be taken up by the club.  This will give the club a new golf course of 130 acres

It raises the obvious question – where was this additional 13 acres.  From all our debate over the last many pages, there seems to be only one possible place it could be, and that is along the GHR/approximate road boundary.  It's easier to locate the total of 130 acres, I think.  We know that they started from 161 acres on the Johnson and Dallas properties.  We know that the 21.1 acres north of Ardmore and west of what is now GHR wasn't part of the golf plan.  So, that leaves 139.9 acres.  We know the rectangular area of the Johnson Farm opposite Haverford College is about 10.5 acres.  If you subtract that, that leaves 129.4 acres, or approximately 130 acres within the limits of my acreage measuring abilities.  That would define the western working boundary as being n/s along the Johnson Farm western boundary up to the southern boundary of Haverford College and then e/w to meet that boundary.

If this was the area that was available through purchase and option, then it can accommodate the Francis land swap as he described it, because the area we call the Francis triangle would not have been intially part of the golf course tract.

Locating it there would also add some sense as to why the approximate road measures out to 122 acres.  If they had an option on a total of 130 acres, then the approximate road easily fits within that area, so it didn't matter that it was more than the 117 acres.

Strange though, that the 13 acre option wasn't mentioned in the letter to the members. But, it couldn't have been a secret if it was published in the newspaper.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #1994 on: June 30, 2009, 06:41:49 AM »

Jeff,

Yes, but I'm focused on his use of the word, "Another", as in "Another problem facing the committee".

It's usage tell us that something preceding it was also a problem addressed by the committee.

Make sense?

At the risk of sounding like an idiot, I don't get what you're struggling with.  He starts talking about fitting the last five holes in - that's problem one.  Then he segues into crossing Ardmore becominga problem - that problem #2.  Then he says there's yet another problem facing the committee - the soil was crappy.  The flow of the article seems pretty logical to me; the preceding problems were fitting in the last five holes and the crossings of Ardmore.  What are you trying to get at here?

Bryan,

I'm trying to get at exactly what you just described that Francis told us unequivocably;

The work of routing the first 13 holes and the problems of the last five, as well as the crossing Ardmore AVenue....

was the problem and the work of the Committee!!!
 ;D

Not Barker...not Macdonald...the Committee.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #1995 on: June 30, 2009, 07:19:29 AM »
Bryan,

"There is no evidence that there wasn't"

Am I the only one troubled by having my logic questioned by a bunch of folks who use double negatives like that?  With all due respect, like Patrick, that sentence also means that there was no evidence that there was an interim boundary, just as easily.  It means nothing. It means there is no evidence, period.  And yet, you continue to argue that despite no evidence, you believe it to be true and then go into attack mode on my parsing of the evidence that IS out there!

Remain unconvinced if you will.  But maintaining that just because there is no evidence, we can't exclude something, means this argument will go on forever, as if it hasn't already.  There was a time on this thread when everyone demanded some kind of factual proof for some new theory.  Now we are down to "Just because there is no evidence doesn't mean I am convinced that it didn't happen" whether referring to Barker, the committee, or little green men from Mars building MCC.

BTW, I have gone over my correspondances with TePaul and he doesn't say that there was a deed for 117 acres as far as I know. IF there is one, then my theory is wrong (see, I won't argue that just because the evidence proves otherwise, that my theory must be true!)  TePaul wants us to keep looking for that mythical boundary of 117, just llike you. He says that they say they were working up against a boundary that doesn't work. 

Well, I think the boundary as constituted by the road doesn't work, at least without realigning the road, as shown by a few quick routings that place those 5 holes in awkward places around the Quarry.

I asked Jim Sullivan, but if you think the boundary was somewhere else from the Nov 15 plan, please tell me where you think it is. I offered two scenarios. Mike C deflates one, although you might remain unconvinced.  My third was that they could have put it anywhere, as many have suggested.

My point is, if they put it anywhere, its just as logical that they left it where it was on the Nov 15 plan.  Why would they pay a surveyor and title company a dime to move a boundary that was going to move again as soon as they could possibly move it with a final routing?  Remember, part of the agreement was to move right away and Culyer says to let them know when the boundary is finalized.

Don't tell me I am wrong again,  but please answer the question as directly as you can.  Thanks in advance.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #1996 on: June 30, 2009, 07:41:37 AM »
Doesn't everything cancel itself out? That CBM was brought in after Barker cancels out Barker. And then CBM's imagined 6,000 yard course (a boiler plate set of yardages) cancels HIMSELF out - the "himself" being the foremost promoter of template holes (for lack of a better word) in America.

Peter, in 1910, how was CBM the foremost promoter of template holes ?

When Tom Doak was brought in after Nicklaus at Sebonack, did that cancel Nicklaus out ?

Again - and under the assumption that this whole thread, for all its detail and debate and hard slogging by some great posters, is all about trying to decide whether the routing was or wasn't done before Wilson got involved -- there is a big difference between hole "concepts" and hole "placements".  

That's absolutely not true in site specific cases.

This whole debate has been framed -- by both sides -- in the only way it could be to virtually ENSURE that the debate would be ENDLESS.

Since when is searching for the truth subject to a deadline ?

But maybe that's the way people actually WANT it.

Wouldn't that depend upon whether or not people want to know what actually happened ?

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #1997 on: June 30, 2009, 08:00:58 AM »
Pat,

As you probably know, there is an old saying in business that without a deadline, nothing gets done.

Just more fuel to the fire that we are framing this debate to go on endlessly.  Even if we are simply arguing with the arguers, fighting with the fighters, rather than really searching for the truth. Please tell me how nit picking Mike C is really searching for the truth?  At least DM, TMac, TePaul and Wayne were searching for the truth.  At this point, the remaining participants here aren't really doing that, because we aren't putting out new info.  Not that there is really any to be had.

I am not sure why Merion spurs us to fight like this, but it really is time for this one to be put to bed for a while, and maybe forever.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #1998 on: June 30, 2009, 09:33:10 AM »
I'm hardly a professional statistician, but I'm sure some of the numbers guys out there can tell us precisely what the odds are of Jeff's theory being incorrect.

First of all, Bryan is contending that since 117 acres was never a legal boundary that Jeff is just making stuff up.

That's really misleading.   Of course there was no deed for the 117 acres, but there was an agreement in principle, in the form of a letter from HDC to Merion from November 1910, and a returned acceptance letter from President Evans of Merion to HDC for specifically 117 acres.  The 117 acres was simply an agreement between MCC and HDC to purchase a tract of land of 117 acres. An agreement is not a deed.  It was upped to 120 acres when the deed was transferred in July 1911. The "agreement" was not even a sales agreement as we use today---eg the agreement was simply contained in two letters between HDC (making an offer of a tract of land of 117 acres) and Evans (accepting the offer).  Today that would be considered "an agreement in principle" (the letters did not constitute a contract). That agreement was essentially contained within Lloyd's deed of 161 acres.

So, we know that in the original agreement in December 1910 Merion "secured" 117 acres.

We also know that as measured by Bryan and David Moriarty, the November 1910 Land Plan measures to 122 acres.

We also know that in July 1911, Merion purchased 120 acres.

Those are the numbers, indisputably.

So what are the odds of Jeff's theory then being wrong....

Remember, Jeff's theory only works out if from a given size of 122 acres on the Land Plan, the EXACT acreages used in actual reality both to and from that Land Plan boundary works out to 2 acres, given that the other known is that Merion purchased 120.1 acres.

I think it's realistic to assume that of a 122 acre plot of land, perhaps a factor of 1/5 could be used to determine what might constitue a reasonably acceptable "transfer" possibility.   In other words, I don't think it's reasonable to assume that somoeone would trade half the property in a land swap, but you might swap out 25 acres or so when you're working with a larger area of 338 acres, so let's use 25.

But, you'd have to have both sides of the approximate boundary work out property, so the calculation would be approximately 1 in 25 and then 1 in 25 again, right?

Using an onlline odds calculator, the odds of Jeff's theory being wrong are 1 in 1225.

Like I said, I'm not a statistician, but perhaps someone who is can either verify or show me what I'm doing wrong here.

JESII

« Reply #1999 on: June 30, 2009, 09:36:42 AM »
Time to put down the pipe Mike...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back