News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jed Peters

Re: Kings Putter 2010
« Reply #75 on: April 30, 2009, 12:12:19 AM »
Morgan Creek is a possibility, if you want to do a Sac thing.

Richard Choi

« Reply #76 on: April 30, 2009, 12:14:01 AM »
FYI Richard Choi was gauging interest in an annual GCA outing at Bandon...and....

I only had few people interested. But there is already a full load of GCA'ers heading there for OM opening. We can always make that a KP event...

Ben Sims

« Reply #77 on: April 30, 2009, 12:24:06 AM »
Rob,

In!! Or is it out.  Crap!! I don't know which one to say!!

I think one of my first duties as a new member might be organizing--or even inventing--another GCA get together.  My life changing experience occurred at Bandon in April of this year.  I think an April GCA excursion every two years to Bandon would be quite appropriate.  Maybe find a way to get the whole clan on Sheep Ranch for an afternoon.  Maybe even try and convince some of the principles (Keiser, Kidd, Doak, Coore, Urbina, Crenshaw , Shorty Dow, Troy Russell; to name a few) to come by and join us in the pub one night for stories about the build.  Hell, we could even try and get Michael Murphy of "Golf in the Kingdom" fame to throw down a few stories.  I know this sounds EXTREMELY lofty, but it might be worth it to try.  

Or someone can just summarily smite me down from my wild notion. ;)

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #78 on: April 30, 2009, 12:32:22 AM »
Kyle:

I humbly suggest the following lineup for next year's event:

Sharp Park
Lincoln Park
Harding Park

All of these have their fair share of architectural interest and quirk.
All of these are affordable and accessible without pulling favors from members.
It's supposed to be about the golf and about the people.

I know I never would have seen Painswick if not for a GCA event.  I would think the Southern Cal boys would learn a lot from the vagaries of the three public venues, and you might get to the heart of whether Sharp Park is worth restoring.  And, last but not least, it ought to be a pretty good home-park advantage for Nor Cal.

Whoa!  :o

That's deja vu all over again.

I was half jokingly suggesting the same on reply #137

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,39283.msg828042.html#msg828042

But TH makes a lot of good points as well.

We shall see  ;D .

Two

« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 12:34:47 AM by Patrick Kiser »
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

David Stamm

« Reply #79 on: April 30, 2009, 12:40:06 AM »
Kyle:

I humbly suggest the following lineup for next year's event:

Sharp Park
Lincoln Park
Harding Park

All of these have their fair share of architectural interest and quirk.
All of these are affordable and accessible without pulling favors from members.
It's supposed to be about the golf and about the people.

I know I never would have seen Painswick if not for a GCA event.  I would think the Southern Cal boys would learn a lot from the vagaries of the three public venues, and you might get to the heart of whether Sharp Park is worth restoring.  And, last but not least, it ought to be a pretty good home-park advantage for Nor Cal.

If you could throw Cal Club or Olympic in with those muni's on a Mon. it might be worth the trip, but could you really justify a long trip for just the muni's alone? Harding, ok, but the conditioning and interest factor for Lincoln and Sharp are hard to justify. Maybe Gleneagles and the Presidio?

Tim,

For many, it isn't just about the courses you get "access " to.

Sean, apparently you weren't at the KP awards dinner at Sherwood when Tommy challenged the NoCal'ers to come up with a KP with courses as good as Sherwood and the three private courses in Palm Springs. 

Tim, TN did not say that.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Anthony Gray

« Reply #80 on: April 30, 2009, 07:59:38 AM »

David,

You were standing beside him when he said it.

Anthony

Tom_Doak

« Reply #81 on: April 30, 2009, 08:19:52 AM »
Mr. Huckaby:

Consider your bluff called.  I WILL PLAY ALL THREE ROUNDS if you play the event on the three munis.

But it's not going to happen.  Too many people are participating because of "access," is the way I've read these threads.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #82 on: April 30, 2009, 08:25:28 AM »
Mr. Huckaby:

Consider your bluff called.  I WILL PLAY ALL THREE ROUNDS if you play the event on the three munis.

But it's not going to happen.  Too many people are participating because of "access," is the way I've read these threads.

IN

Anthony

Scott Henderson

« Reply #83 on: April 30, 2009, 08:38:18 AM »
Kyle,

You know I'm in, but thought I should make it formal here.  We can discuss what I can do to help when I see you.

Joe Perches

« Reply #84 on: April 30, 2009, 08:44:59 AM »
I WILL PLAY ALL THREE ROUNDS if you play the event on the three munis.

I'd go to the munis.

I doubt either the pace of play or the participants will be much different.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #85 on: April 30, 2009, 09:46:48 AM »

It is all acess. This year I got access to Tommy Nac the first day, Tom Huck the secound, and Garland the third. Go ahead and call me an access whore if you wish. But it is also nice to play the best courses you can access.

Anthony

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #86 on: April 30, 2009, 09:51:23 AM »
Mr. Huckaby:

Excellent.
Only problem is, I'm not in charge of it.  It's Kyle Henderson and Patrick Kiser.  But I know where my vote now goes, if I have a vote, which I don't.  If the logistical problems could be overcome, an event like this would be fun.  And getting you out for it would be quite fun also, Tom.  And allow me to call you Tom, as you may call me the same.  Mr. Huckaby isn't even my Dad.   ;D

Quite seriously though, my comments from before (regarding logistical issues) stand.  It is a ROYAL pain to do events at these courses.  I know, I have done events at each.  Harding is somewhat doable (but expensive), the other two... man I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.  And I consider Kyle and Patrick to be friends.  And you wanna talk pace of play problems?  We sure can't kick out the general public.  Rounds here would make the 5.5+ hrs spent at Rustic seem speedy.  

As for the rest, heck I see nothing wrong with folks wanting to play a course they otherwise couldn't.  Should the participants in this recent one have refused to play Sherwood, and sought out Balboa muni instead?

Also I sure hope Tommy's "challenge" was light-hearted... this has never been about one-upsmanship, and the NorCal events have previously taken place at many fine courses, both public and private.

In any case, Robert Ball hit the nail on the head - just do it, guys.  Suggestions here can be taken and disregarded.  Oh I continue to offer way more than my two cents only because I've done these before and thus may have something to offer... but feel free to disregard me also.

TH
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 11:18:59 AM by Tom Huckaby »

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #87 on: April 30, 2009, 12:10:50 PM »
Playing the 3 munis would interest me.  For us SoCal boys it is always nice to get a dose of the city life for a weekend.  San Francisco always exceeds your expectations.  I have done walking tour of Chinatown and a walking tour of Victorian homes.  Tell me, are there any Starbuck's downtown?

I suggest early rounds at Sharp and Lincoln to help avoid long rounds.  I think terrible conditions would actually increase quirk and "rub of the green" matches.  Both these courses will probably be closed in the next 20 years.  So it would be nice to see them before they are NLE.

Maybe after an early morning match at Lincoln, someone could arrange an outing at the par 3 at Olympic?  Maybe Joel Stewart?
Or you can schedule it the weekend of the Bay to Breakers and we can participate with rented golf carts.  I can see Tommy now driving his cart through the different districts of the City.  We will get Al Attles in the cart to protect him from aggravated runners.
For you youngsters, two players were off limits in starting a fight in the old NBA, Wilt and Al.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #88 on: April 30, 2009, 12:14:29 PM »
Lynn -that's all good stuff.

But among the problems with Lincoln and Sharp is that at least when I did events there (3 years ago now) groups were not allowed before noon. That's just where the problems began.

But you're right, San Francisco as a city never disappoints.

;)

Anthony Gray

« Reply #89 on: April 30, 2009, 12:32:18 PM »
I can see Tommy now driving his cart through the different districts of the City.  We will get Al Attles in the cart to protect him from aggravated runners.
For you youngsters, two players were off limits in starting a fight in the old NBA, Wilt and Al.

Garland says at the next KP he wants this guy on the box.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #90 on: April 30, 2009, 12:54:59 PM »
Morgan Creek is a possibility, if you want to do a Sac thing.

You could do an all Creek Week in Sac with Morgan Creek, Timber Creek and Turkery Creek! :D
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #91 on: April 30, 2009, 01:06:44 PM »
Anthony you are too much.  A weekend with you on cable cars would be a trip.  But don't go to Alcatraz, they may not let you out.

It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Kalen Braley

« Reply #92 on: April 30, 2009, 01:10:02 PM »
Anthony you are too much.  A weekend with you on cable cars would be a trip.  But don't go to Alcatraz, they may not let you out.

Lynn,

You gotta stop this now!! As a norcal native I've been to San Fran way too many times and your putting devious thoughts in my head of the potential fun we could have with Anthony!!  ;D

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #93 on: April 30, 2009, 01:10:06 PM »
You mean there's good golf outside Philly?  ;)

Mike Benham

« Reply #94 on: April 30, 2009, 01:20:38 PM »

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Anthony Gray

« Reply #95 on: April 30, 2009, 01:27:53 PM »

Lynn,

You gotta stop this now!! As a norcal native I've been to San Fran way too many times and your putting devious thoughts in my head of the potential fun we could have with Anthony!!  ;D

All I was doing was repeating what Garland said. He also said if "The Big E" can do it I sure can. Garland Bird Bayley told me he was the original lefty from the corner.

Anthony

Tom Yost

« Reply #96 on: April 30, 2009, 01:52:01 PM »
I suggest early rounds at Sharp and Lincoln to help avoid long rounds.  I think terrible conditions would actually increase quirk and "rub of the green" matches.  Both these courses will probably be closed in the next 20 years.  So it would be nice to see them before they are NLE.

We should just get a jump on the inevitable and instead of golf, we should all meet up for early morning group Tai Chi.

Lynn, if you are reading this - can you answer my Kareem question?
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,39561.0.html

THANKS!
Tom

Anthony Gray

« Reply #97 on: April 30, 2009, 01:54:56 PM »

Tom Yost is standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona.......waiting for the next KP.

AG

Kalen Braley

« Reply #98 on: April 30, 2009, 02:57:42 PM »
Garland and Anthony,

Won't you guys be in the area that time of year for a certain parade anyways?   ;D

Anthony Gray

« Reply #99 on: April 30, 2009, 03:16:39 PM »
Garland and Anthony,

Won't you guys be in the area that time of year for a certain parade anyways?   ;D

WE have pride.

Anthony

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back