News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Bill Shamleffer

Links magazine has a list of Top 10 Green Courses.
(I discovered this article through Geoff Shackleford's site.  I must still have this issue on my desk at home unopened.)

Here is this list and then a link to the full article:

Top 10 Green Courses

1. Vineyard Golf Club
2. North Shore Country Club
3. Chambers Bay
4. Mohonk Golf Course
5. Saucon Valley Country Club
6. Old Collier Golf Club
7. Westchester Country Club
8. Stone Creek Golf Club
9. Pebble Beach Golf Links
10. Sebonack Golf Club 

http://www.linksmagazine.com/golf_courses/features/top_10_environmentally_friendly_golf_courses/vineyard_golf_club.aspx
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Joel_Stewart

Re: New course ranking list - Top 10 Environmentally Friendly Courses
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 11:24:21 PM »
I think this is interesting.  I'm surprised the Honors Club didn't qualify as they are hard core in just about anything with regard to the environment and were one of the first to really embrace it.

Only 1 course in California and thats Pebble Beach?   Since the same company owns Spanish Bay and Spyglass it doesn't make sense?

The other thing that strikes me is none of these courses have solar or wind power.

Lyne Morrison

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 01:13:07 AM »

Thanks for this Bill

Cheers - Lyne

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 07:56:52 AM »
Unfortunately, the listings of environmentally-friendly golf courses is usually top-heavy with courses that can afford to spend money promoting their friendliness.  Meanwhile, at the other end of the scale, there are plenty of golf courses out there which are environmentally friendly because they can't afford to overwater and overfertilize.

Mark Luckhardt

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 08:09:52 AM »
I know three of the superintendents on this list, and have spent a lot of time on each of their courses. No doubt the others are cutting edge thinkers as well. A different kind of list for sure. Can anyone expand to 10 more clubs or make suggestions?

Lyne Morrison

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 08:14:13 AM »

Tom - fair point indeed.

Encouraging just the same to see others - albeit from within elite ranks - invest in a sustainability ethic.

Cheers - Lyne

Adam Clayman

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 08:20:31 AM »
The list seemed spurious. How an HVCC doesn't make it is beyond beyond. 
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 10:30:21 AM »
Spurious list?  Right now, I just view this as an article and they took courses they knew of to write about.  I am also sure there are hundreds of courses that could claim "we do that, too!". 

Given Links real estate slant, and the current interest in green communities, its a natural fit.  If Links keeps this list up as "their" list, in a few years there will be points criteria, panelists, training seminars for the panelists, etc.

That would be an interesting rating system, and it might spur courses to add environmental practices one at time to move up the list.  Lets see, Audubon participation, check.  LEEDS particpation, check.  Organic Ferts, check.  Check our water quality annually, check.  Reduce water useage. Check.  Returf with lowest water demand turf?  hmm, ok, check. 

Nothing like a competition to spur good intentions, heh?
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 10:41:17 AM »
Ranking by environmentally friendly seems like ranking by conditioning.  A 3 point scale should suffice.  Yes they are, could do better, no they're not.  To rank is absurd.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 10:54:11 AM »
What exactly does environmentally friendly mean, and how do they measure it? 

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 04:00:33 PM »
Spurious list?  Right now, I just view this as an article and they took courses they knew of to write about.  I am also sure there are hundreds of courses that could claim "we do that, too!". 

Given Links real estate slant, and the current interest in green communities, its a natural fit.  If Links keeps this list up as "their" list, in a few years there will be points criteria, panelists, training seminars for the panelists, etc.

It's a good point.  I doubt Links has the resources or panel to evaluate all 16,000 golf courses.   I know the Resort at Squaw Creek in Lake Tahoe use no pesticides or chemicals on their golf course.

Here are the facts from their web site.

Property Initiatives
Resort at Squaw Creek, in keeping with Destination Hotels & Resorts Destination Earth environmental stewardship program, and to best serve the sensitive natural environment in which we operate, has implemented the following “green” measures:

Energy efficient guest room protocol for check in: only one light and radio on upon check-in.

All guest room lights are energy efficient CFLs or LEDs.

Facial tissue with a minimum 30% post consumer recycled content utilized.

Low flow aerators installed in all guest rooms (excluding primary kitchen faucet).

Provide permanent/reusable hangers in guest rooms (i.e. wood).

Washable (reusable) mugs and glasses available in guest rooms.

Linen conservation program.

Towel conservation program.

Retired towels and linens to converted to rags or donate to charity.

Retired bedspreads and other soft goods donated to charity.

Keep blinds and drapes closed in guest rooms during summer periods.

Use eco-friendly all purpose cleaning product for guest rooms.

Lights in guest room hallways are energy efficient - CFLs, T-8s, T-5s or LEDs.

Leak detection and repair program implemented for guest rooms.

Low flow aerators placed on all public restroom faucets to save water.

All spa faucets have low flow aerators.

All business center computers set to a sleep mode default.

Recycle all toner cartridges in administrative offices and Business Center.

Offer envelopes only by request for guest check-out invoices.

Hotel collateral materials are printed on recycled content paper with soy ink.

Pesticide and chemical free golf course (Audubon certified for environmental stewardship).

Recycling of uniform and linen coat hangers.

Computer shut down policy implemented for all departments.

All administration computers set to a sleep mode default.

Lights in back of house/administration are energy efficient - CFLs, T-8s, T-5s or LEDs. (In progress.)

All lights in fitness center are energy efficient lighting.

Reusable/washable mugs and glasses provided for employees.

Reusable/washable cutlery provided to employees in break room.

Eliminated use of all Styrofoam products.

All restaurant freezer doors/curtains to be in perfect working order.

All hazardous materials stored in a locked cabinet.

Comprehensive white/copy paper and newspaper recycling programs established in back of house areas.

Waste company contacted every six months for formal review on recycling options.

Recycle all toner cartridges in back-of-house.

Recycle bins utilized throughout property.
Use manual double-sided printing for print jobs whenever possible.
Centralized copier(s)/printer(s) set to print double-sided as the default setting.
In business center, copy paper with EPA minimum of 30% post consumer recycled content is utilized.
Every three months at least one new eco-friendly office product is purchased.
Motion sensors for lighting installed in all back-of-house storage areas, hallways and passages.
Motion sensors or timers installed in all guest room floor hallway storage areas.

Exit lights are LED

TV turnoff procedure implemented in fitness center to ensure TVs are off when not in use.
Policy in place to confirm meeting room lights are shut down when not in use.
Provide water in pitchers for banquet service.

Eco-Friendly Golf Courses

The golf courses at Sunriver (Crosswater Golf Club), Resort at Squaw Creek, and Stowe Mountain Lodge (Stowe Mountain Club) have all Signature Sanctuary Certification from Audubon International, a non-profit environmental organization headquartered in New York State. This certification recognizes that the golf course has been successfully designed, constructed, and managed with a comprehensive approach to environmental protection.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2009, 04:10:10 PM »
It's a hard job to try and quantify things because so much of it would be location-specific -- for example, I am POSITIVE that Bandon Dunes has way less inputs than Pebble Beach, but Bandon is also an easier climate in which to grow grass.

I am also positive that 3/4 of the courses in northern Europe could match up with any of the courses on this list.  American golf still has a long way to go in the environmental department.

Joel:  Have you been to Squaw Creek lately?  I remember all the attention when it opened, but I don't know how successful it has been.

Evan_Green

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2009, 06:33:24 PM »
What about the courses that lie within National Parks such as Presidio GC and Wawona? Surely those must have some of the greenest practices.   Presidio for one doesnt use any chemicals to eliminate the daisies in the fairways...

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2009, 07:03:42 PM »
Unfortunately, the listings of environmentally-friendly golf courses is usually top-heavy with courses that can afford to spend money promoting their friendliness.  Meanwhile, at the other end of the scale, there are plenty of golf courses out there which are environmentally friendly because they can't afford to overwater and overfertilize.

I agree 100%.

In college at the U of Missouri, I loved to play our university course - A.L. Gustin - and to this day it is one of my most favorite courses.  And why?  Because it was minimally maintained.  It was a good layout, and the greens were always in good shape, but the rest of the course was left to nature.  There was no sprinkler system.  So in the heat of those Midwest summers the course just browned out.  Talk about firm and fast.  I could hit 300 yard drives with my persimmon woods (and my very best in those days on a top maintained course barely got to 260 and was closer to 240 range).

Now it was not a dump of a course like a few of the awful munis I have played in my life where there were cracks in the fairways and the best greens were where the clover was thriving.  No these greens were always good, and the turf was fine, it just browned out during the summer.  The result was that more strategy was required when I played that course than the country club course in town.  Would the green hold the shot I was going to play?  Should I bounce it in?  Should I play a hard wedge, a chocked down 9-iron, or knock down 7-iron?  Do I try a power drive through the valley to try to get up the hill just short of the ninth green, or do I hit a fairway wood or long iron to just short of the valley and leave myself a level 2nd shot with a full wedge. And so on.

It was my ideal course good greens and lots of fun getting to those greens.  Best of all most average golfers wanted soft and well watered, so I could show up any time, pay my $5.00 student rate and tee off right away, and know that I would be finished in under 4 hours.

This was in the mid-1980s.  I believe they have since added a sprinkler system, so I do not know if it would still be just as much fun.

I wish some municipal courses would reduce their water & chemical usage by more than 50%, and show golfers that cheap golf can also be more fun.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Lyne Morrison

Re: New course ranking list - Top 10 Environmentally Friendly Courses New
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2009, 10:53:36 PM »
A couple of additional points if I may.

First up - Lets not get hung up about rankings per se but embrace the bigger ethical picture.

Well considered environmental stewardship encompasses numerous elements. These may range from ecological servicing of a new site that would eventually direct (or at least positively impact) the manner in which a course is sustained through to best practice management of course infrastructure. In terms of everyday bpm there is much to be considered and achieved.

With regards checks and measures - it is my understanding that the 'epar environmental management system' is designed to support any golf course thus making both large and smaller environmental initiatives affordable and achievable for most within the industry.

Like Jeff, my feeling is this topic is worthy of acknowledgement because it shows a positive commitment to best practice - and as we all benefit from a healthy environmental ethic it is good to see these and others acknowledged for their efforts and potential influence.

Consider supporting the intent - the rankings are irrelevant.

Cheers

« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 11:08:43 PM by Lyne Morrison »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back