News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marty Bonnar

Augusta: adventure in hyperreality
« on: April 11, 2009, 05:53:47 PM »
As a young Architecture student in the late 70s, I was briefly infatuated with the Hyperrealist movement.

They were a bunch of artists and sculptors who would create paintings and sculptures which were not merely realistic, but which actually took realism a step further. Thus, for example, skin tones were not merely the real skin tone, they were an idealised 'real' skin tone (if you get my meaning!) I know some folk struggled with the notion that a skin tone should only be a skin tone and needn't be anything more, but...okay, I was 18 and a bit 'artsy'!

Seems to me that current digital art and CG seem to be regenerating the ideas they had and can now allow for the creation of incredible, utterly convincing 'un-realities' which we see in movies and videos all the time.

So...

watching Augusta in HD for the first time this year, I am struck that it is, in fact, a hyperrealistic golf course. An ideal golf course, a concept of a golf course, a mind's eye notion of a golf course which somewhat miraculously has been made real through the hand of man.

I struggle to think of examples of a more unnatural golf course than Augusta, yet I still find it as compellingly attractive and as pleasing to the eye as any Repton or Brown landscape.

I'd still be happier if there was any actual MacKenzie left, but I'm definitely mellowing in my appreciation. Yippee for HD!

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tim_Cronin

Re: Augusta: adventure in hyperreality
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 06:02:34 PM »
Exactly, Marty. And HD really doesn't do it justice. Walk around it some lucky day, and you'll find it's the most artificially natural looking course you've ever seen. (Though I did find a weed between the 14th and 15th holes once upon a time.)
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 06:07:44 PM »
Like most courses with named golf holes, no one seems to care.  Other than the commentators, could anyone distinguish firethorn from crab apple from white dogwood?  I think I made one of those names up.

I know that what I like most about Augusta originated in those tournaments from 1980-1984, when I was truly being hooked by golf.  Knowing nothing about golf course design at the time, I simply marveled at the golf holes.

Perhaps the hyperreality is more suited to this age, given our hyper concern with information.  We are beyond post-modern, where nothing new is done these days.

It won't surprise me to learn one day that the "capricious wind" that Feherty discussed was the result of a series of camouflaged fans.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mike Benham

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 06:18:32 PM »

Like most courses with named golf holes, no one seems to care.  Other than the commentators, could anyone distinguish firethorn from crab apple from white dogwood?  I think I made one of those names up.

Architecturally speaking, who cares?  You still need to hit the putt in the hole.
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Adam Clayman

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 09:36:11 PM »
Martin. I've been pondering why a course with a $6m annual maintenance budget has bunker edges exactly like a course so close to the edge on budget, they make those edges to save time and money.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Carl Rogers

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 08:51:38 AM »
The course is intended to be a cathedral .. right??

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back