News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Blain

Erin Hills Looking Good For 2017 US Open
« on: March 08, 2009, 10:39:10 AM »
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/golf/40578077.html

"We can hold twice as many people than a regular US Open."

Now I now why the USGA is so hot and heavy with this place.

John

Ronald Montesano

Re: Erin Hills Looking Good For 2017 US Open
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 10:43:07 AM »
Quote from that story:
<"Most of it was nips and tucks," Lang said. "The most dramatic evolution is on No. 4. We moved the green to the left and put in three sets of bunkers running vertically toward the green. I've never seen a hole like it.">

Evidently, neither had Hurdzan, Fry, nor Whitten.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Brad Swanson

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 10:53:48 AM »
They brought in Steve Stricker to consult, too.  I hear Steve has developed a new technology where the course can remove hazards and make it play much easier on Sundays.

Brad

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 11:04:21 AM »
Any comments on the Dell hole being removed from the rotation for the USGA events? 
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Rob Rigg

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 11:06:03 AM »
Minimalism always seems like a good idea to these owners to keep the construction costs down, but as soon as a massive tournament is waved in their face they fold and start "tweaking" like crazy.

I guess the average golfer would rather get punished on a US Open course than play a great course that may not be able to call itself "championship" caliber.

The removal of the Dell hole and the slicing of a ridge to ensure the second shot was not blind are kind of sad - these elements can add a lot of fun to a round - suspense can be a good thing.

US Open = higher green fees, more money and prestige - can the owner be faulted?

Hopefully someone can provide a before and after playing experience summary . . .

PCCraig

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 11:28:51 AM »
I guess this means I should make it up there this year while the fee is $150 and before it goes up to $500 next year.
H.P.S.

Dan Moore

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 12:31:02 PM »
"The other significant change was that No. 7, the blind, par-3 "Dell Hole," was eliminated. Golfers now will play the par-3 sixth and go to new tees on what was the par-4 eighth (now No. 7). The once-optional "bye hole," a downhill par-3 on which wind is often a factor, becomes No. 9."

I thought 8 was the weakest hole on the course so it will be interesting to see what they did with the tees.  I thought it would have been better as a par 5 with a semi-blind drive. 

Here are some views of the 4th hole.  I can't see whaere they would have moved the green. 

Here is a look at the ridge on #1.  It did result in an awkward start to the round.  Landing zone is between a little right of the right hand bunker in the face of the ridge and the tree.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 10:37:12 PM by Dan Moore »
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Ken Fry

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 12:45:15 PM »
I'm one that didn't mind the "Dell" hole but so be it...

My only hope for the "Bye" hole is they reworked the green to be more playable if the hole is to be in permanent use.  For me, that green was one of the few complaints I had about the course.

Hole #2 green I actually enjoyed but can see why a larger surface would be needed considering traffic.

I'm curious to see hole #4 change as I thought the approach had a unique view with the green recessed down from the fairway partially obscuring the player's view of the entire green.

Any ideas if the course reopen dates of mid-June to July 1st are accurate?  I agree another roadtrip to see Erin Hills will be in order...

Ken

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 12:53:58 PM »
I guess this means I should make it up there this year while the fee is $150 and before it goes up to $500 next year.

I was told by someone the other day that they only spent $2 or $3 million to construct the golf course so that green fees would be inexpensive.   When the owner started to hear the buzz about how great the course was, he built a $10 million dollar clubhouse.  I'm told it was all on credit with a high interest rate which is why the green fees are so high.  Amazing.

PCCraig

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 01:12:59 PM »

I was told by someone the other day that they only spent $2 or $3 million to construct the golf course so that green fees would be inexpensive.   When the owner started to hear the buzz about how great the course was, he built a $10 million dollar clubhouse.  I'm told it was all on credit with a high interest rate which is why the green fees are so high.  Amazing.

Would you be able to hold a US Open without a huge clubhouse??? I think a low key trailer would be cool, but in terms of logistics of a major you would almost need it.
H.P.S.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 01:41:41 PM »
Pat , The 10 MM  clubhouse is far from huge. If they really spent that number on what they have the money did'nt go very far. Nice but not overwhelming. As far as the course was concerned, I came away unimpressed. Good but not great course. I could name 5 other clubs in Wis that are as good or better.MilwaukeeCC, Whistleing Straits, River Course, Lawsonia Links, The Bull, Blue Mound,  Big Fish, etc. Just my opinion.              Jack

Jim Nugent

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 01:46:43 PM »

When the owner started to hear the buzz about how great the course was, he built a $10 million dollar clubhouse.  I'm told it was all on credit with a high interest rate which is why the green fees are so high.  Amazing.

In this case, the course may not be there for the 2017 U.S. Open. 

Jim Colton

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2009, 04:10:54 PM »
The 4th green must be up to the left on the hill.  The article talks about adding bunkers that climb up vertically to the hole.

This will add an even longer walk to the 5th tee...I think they had to shuttle people up there in the tournaments they've had out there.

Are they moving the tee back on #9?  Is that really a 3-shot hole?  I think I hit driver over the hill and 9-iron into that green.

R.I.P. Dell Hole

Ari Techner

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 07:56:23 PM »
So they have completely eliminated the "Dell" hole as opposed to just not using it for the tourney?  Will they change their EH19 logo? 

Scott Weersing

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2009, 07:35:09 AM »
You can't have it both ways. You can't brag that your course is natural and shaped by nature. "Erin Hills is unique in that almost no dirt was moved during its construction." But then during the renovation (is it eligible for best renovation by Golf Digest?), "On the par-5 first hole, a ridge was cut down so golfers could see the landing area for their second shots." What is wrong with a blind landing area? Pacific Dunes' first hole has a blind landing area.

I hope they got some money in advance from the USGA as they will have been closed for three months of revenue producing rounds:  October, May and June. I bet they will raise the green fees to make up for those three months. They should because they will not be able to raise green fees if they are awarded the US Open.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2009, 08:23:42 AM »
Scott,

My understanding is that no course RW is involved in is eligible for consideration on the Best New lists.

As to what's wrong with a blind landing area......US Open competitors won't like it, and it did strike me as awkward, whereas some blind holes aren't.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Shane Wright

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2009, 12:56:08 PM »
I personally loved the "Dell" hole even though it is quite a bit different from the real one but I understand why it really doesn't work for a USGA event. 

I played the Publinks qualifier there two years ago and the only transportation assistance needed was between the finish of the front and start of the back nine.  I don't believe the change at 4 will need any assistance getting to the 5th tee box.  Remember, these guys walk Augusta every year which is WAY more strenuous than Erin Hills.

They didn't mention anything about a change to the biarritz green #10.  This will be necessary, unless the USGA is looking for a Shinnecock style moment with a virtually illegal green.  I believe Erin's #10 green is close to 80 yards long and only has a few workable pin locations. 

And for what its worth, for such a new course, I think Erin Hills is fabulous.  The fescue rough is extremely penal but the fairways are generous enough that you can play a round and not lose a ball.  But playing in a USGA setting, you are going to be forced to bomb away on some holes which is definitely going to bring the rough into play.  There is also a mix of some short par 4's which will require decision making, and the 18th fairway with the steeples in the background is a really cool finish.  It can play hard and fast, although there are not a lot of holes one can run the ball up onto....I would have preferred to see a little more of this.   

Shane Wright

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2009, 01:30:10 PM »

Shane Wright

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2009, 01:32:06 PM »
It doesn't look quite as severe in the picture above, but I'm curious as to others thoughts who played it....I think a front pin in Open conditions will be next to impossible to stop it and the green runs away on any of the back pin locations.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2009, 04:55:09 PM »
If it is true that the clubhouse is the reason for the upscale fee, due to the prospect of a U.S. Open, the U.S.G.A. should seriously reconsider ever leaking out, or hinting, that they like a newer course for such a purpose.

Sad really.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Shane Wright

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2009, 05:20:06 PM »

$10 million seems a little absurb.  Maybe he owns the construction company that built it   :D....it is nice but not hardly big enough to be $10 million. 

They are having no problems filling their tee slots.  Getting the $150 or whatever it is doesn't seem to be a problem.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2009, 08:07:12 PM »
In my opinion this is exhibit A for why more dirt should have been moved at Erin Hills.  I'm not at all surprised by the resting place of this approach shot - I'm guessing 80% of the approaches played to the 10th green come to rest within five feet of this ball.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2009, 08:19:27 PM »

Thats a joke. That is not US Open calibre golf....

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TX
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Jim Colton

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2009, 08:26:09 PM »
In my opinion this is exhibit A for why more dirt should have been moved at Erin Hills.  I'm not at all surprised by the resting place of this approach shot - I'm guessing 80% of the approaches played to the 10th green come to rest within five feet of this ball.

Mike

Mike,

I agree...80% of approaches and probably 50% of first putts as well.

Although this article didn't mention it, the initial blurb about the renovations last fall mentioned changes to the 10th green.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2009, 08:27:22 PM »
Tony,   My thoughts exactly-as I posted earlier this is a nice course but not even in the top echelon of Wis courses. If you have not played here it's hard to describe the number of quirky holes. It starts at the 2nd and pops up several times in the round. The green you are seeing is unpinnable in 40% of the green at open speeds. If you come to Wisconsin this is far down the list of their many great courses. It's also overpriced at $150. It ain't Colonial!
                                               Jack

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back