News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Topp

Re: OT: USA roadtrip
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2009, 04:22:43 PM »
Scott:

Here are my thoughts:

1.When in the South try to get to one of the big time college football games.  Truly a unique experience that fits nicely with the time of your trip.

2.  I would think about driving from Memphis to San Antonio and skipping the drive to Orlando.  You will get a taste of the South from Mississippi, Louisiana is one of the most unique areas anywhere, the East Texas hill country is lovely and Austin Texas is a terrific town worth a couple of days.  You also cut out a flight that way.

3.  Sedona AZ is likely to be lovely that time of year.  Leaves will be in bright colors around November 1.  I really enjoy the Arizona desert and would want to spend time there.

4.  Other areas I would consider including:

-- The Rocky Mountains (Colorado, Utah)
  --  Oregon/Washington coast

5. The continental US is almost exactly the same size as Australia.  
 You might want to eliminate driving between destinations and spend more extended time in unique spots with flights in between.  A lot less wear and tear that way and you avoid a lot of boring country.  If I were planning such a trip I with less of a city emphasis, I might choose the following areas:

1.  New England
2.  Low Country South (Charleston/Savannah)
3.  Louisiana
4.  Austin and Texas Hill Country
5.  Santa Fe, New Mexico
6.  Northern CA coast and wine country

Scott Stearns

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2009, 04:29:23 PM »
my two cents--

1-Memphis is an excellent choice for a foreign visitor.  great music and food, and indiginous(sp?) to the USA.  You wont get the same experience anywhere else.  Great to contrast with San Antonio or Dallas as well.  Both have BBQ, both have great music, but one is "south" and other two are "west"

the difference will become apparant to you.

I'd recommend (dare i say it) you NOT play golf on your itinerary.  None of the cities you describe have much public golf that is anywhere near what you can play in the UK, or at home in the sandbelt for that matter.  enjoy the scenery and play at home.  Bethpage Black might be an exception, but thats a full day of your trip at least for one round.  Same with Harding Park.  Pebble Beach would be $500

If you can get on some private clubs, however, that is another matter.

Scott Warren

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2009, 04:31:06 PM »
Jason,

1. I'd love to do that. My American travelling companions from 06 in Europe went to Auburn (War Damn Eagle!) and said they get 100,000 to a college game. Wow. That would be worth seeing.

2-4. Thanks for the suggestions.

5. Might be a good idea. The idea to drive a lot was inspired by the perception that a lot of what's worth seeing was off the beaten track, but I can see I will kill some valuable time doing that.

Kirk Gill

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2009, 04:37:41 PM »
God bless you, there IS no "real" USA. Or at least there's no one area that strikes me as more real than any other. SURreal, perhaps. Still, I think I get your meaning. For what it's worth, I'll pontificate briefly.

In the northeast, I'd make a point of going down through Philly and then south to Delaware (love the Hagley and Winterthur museums and surrounding parks), ending up in D.C. by hook or by crook. I love that whole part of the world. Perhaps spend more time in Virginia. It's historical U.S., to me, but I'm sure there's a lot of current, real stuff there as well.

I've enjoyed traveling through Kentucky and Tennessee,  but I don't know that most of it would be "must see" territory, but there's a lot more reality there to be witnessed, for good or ill. If you do hit Memphis, be sure to go to Graceland, home of the King. There are many truths about the U.S. to be discovered there.

Looking at your existing itinerary, you appear to be flying and traveling by train over some of the most real portions of the country, or at least some portions I'm very familiar with. I live in Colorado, and for what it's worth, there's a lot to be seen and done in the Rocky Mountain West, and if you decide not to whip on by us, shoot me a line and I'd love to give you some ideas.

It must be said that  traveling by train in the U.S. these days puts the "sur" in surreal. THAT will be an experience all its own. One bit of advice - bring food.

It's taken me too long to write this, and I now see that there are  a lot of better suggestions than I could provide, but one thing mentioned really rings true - the U.S. is a big place. Heck, Colorado is larger in area than the U.K. I've vacationed all over the country (and obviously so have many on this board!), and found interesting places and people just about everywhere. I envy you your travels, and hope that someday I'll have a chance to experience your homeland as well.
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Scott Warren

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2009, 04:39:40 PM »
my two cents--

1-Memphis is an excellent choice for a foreign visitor.  great music and food, and indiginous(sp?) to the USA.  You wont get the same experience anywhere else.  Great to contrast with San Antonio or Dallas as well.  Both have BBQ, both have great music, but one is "south" and other two are "west"

the difference will become apparant to you.

I'd recommend (dare i say it) you NOT play golf on your itinerary.  None of the cities you describe have much public golf that is anywhere near what you can play in the UK, or at home in the sandbelt for that matter.  enjoy the scenery and play at home.  Bethpage Black might be an exception, but thats a full day of your trip at least for one round.  Same with Harding Park.  Pebble Beach would be $500

If you can get on some private clubs, however, that is another matter.

Memphis and Nashville both seem to have great culture, which would be cool. Thanks.

Re: golf, even without access to private clubs, I had it in my head to play Pasatiempo, Sawgrass and Valhalla and maybe Pebble and/or Spyglass, with some others thrown in. If it's my one chance to play golf in the USA, I'd like to make the most of it.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2009, 04:39:40 PM »
Jason,

1. I'd love to do that. My American travelling companions from 06 in Europe went to Auburn (War Damn Eagle!) and said they get 100,000 to a college game. Wow. That would be worth seeing.

2-4. Thanks for the suggestions.

5. Might be a good idea. The idea to drive a lot was inspired by the perception that a lot of what's worth seeing was off the beaten track, but I can see I will kill some valuable time doing that.

They don't get 100,000 at Auburn. War Eagle indeed!

Penn State (and Michigan and Ohio State and Tennessee) does, however.  ;)

Depending on your itinerary, a Penn State game is totally an option for you, though a little out of the way (a whole day) from Philadelphia. PSU has the largest college football stadium in the country.

That'll be Arble's Cue...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 04:41:40 PM by Kyle Harris »

rjsimper

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2009, 04:46:25 PM »
Look, I get all the replies about the eastern stuff, but to be frank, that kind of charm is far more European influenced than anywhere else in the country.   There is a reason why the Western is the only truly American genre of film that has endured, and that is simply that the American west is one of the most unique places in the world.

I side with those that have identified places like Sedona, AZ, New Mexico, Colorado, etc.  

I have lived in California, DC, Vermont, and now North Carolina.  I have driven cross-country several times, and nowhere is more impressive to flatlanders and northerners than places like Sedona, Grand Canyon, etc.  It's unique and really jaw-dropping.

Now, if the idea is to DO things, then yes, there would be a lot of driving in the West, things are more spread out, but I do not recall a more spectacular drive than that from Denver to Las Vegas.

Just my opinion of course, but I believe this to be a much more unique and fulfilling glimpse at America than Connecticut, Florida, Boston, or Texas honestly.

Greg Chambers

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2009, 04:50:50 PM »
Your rail portion of the trip is totally missing the best our country has to offer...Colorado, Utah, and N Arizona...IMHO
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Scott Warren

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2009, 04:51:52 PM »
Thanks Ryan. Very good points. Many of these places that are being suggested I have never even heard of before. It's a fantastic eye opener, so many, many thanks to one and all.

One question

We had planned to spend 4-5 days in the middle relaxing on a beach somewhere to take a break from constant travelling. Is Virginia Beach any good? Orlando? Somewhere else? I imagine in Oct/Nov it will have to be pretty far south.

Rich Brittingham

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2009, 04:55:52 PM »
Dont waste your time in Virginia Beach. (unless you can find time ot sneak 40 minutes west to Williamsburg to play RNK!) Outer Banks, NC are beauitful and its the off season but it won't be entirly warm enough for beach time in Oct/Nov.

My wife just scheduled a fantasy road trip for us hitting all the spots in the US we'd like to spend time in. It will be a 91 day adventure, if we can ever fund it.

I see several people have mentioned this, but from your initial list, the biggest ommision is New Orleans, just a fantastic city to explore.

rjsimper

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2009, 04:57:20 PM »
Thanks Ryan. Very good points. Many of these places that are being suggested I have never even heard of before. It's a fantastic eye opener, so many, many thanks to one and all.

One question

We had planned to spend 4-5 days in the middle relaxing on a beach somewhere to take a break from constant travelling. Is Virginia Beach any good? Orlando? Somewhere else? I imagine in Oct/Nov it will have to be pretty far south.

October/November will be too chilly in Virginia Beach.  I would recommend Miami as probably your best bet.  Even San Diego/Coronado is a little chilly that time of year.  The water is warmer in MIA (and bluer)

Virginia Beach is a nice place to visit, but probably too far north for that time of year (and the town gets much quieter...to some a good thing and to others a bad thing) after Labor Day.

Scott Warren

« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2009, 05:00:15 PM »
Thanks David. Very much appreciated. I will keep your generous offer in mind.

ed_getka

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2009, 05:02:26 PM »
Scott,
    I have criss-crossed the country numerous ways with my children to expose them to many of the great things there are to see in this country. We put a large focus on the outdoors. I would not leave the US without going to Yosemite. Niagara Falls is certainly a worthy destination as taking the Maid of the Mist right up to the base of the falls is quite impressive. New England I would try to catch with the fall color. NY Metropolitan Museum of Art is astounding. Most everything in Washington DC worth visiting is free. A horseback ride in Bryce Canyon will make you wish you never spent a day in Las Vegas, but since Las Vegas could be on your way to Bryce what the heck.
     I am in Chapel Hill, North Carolina and would be happy to be your tour guide if your travels take you through this area.
     Another suggestion would be to give us some of the focal points of the trip and we can add suggestions that are in that immediate area.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Scott Warren

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2009, 05:08:07 PM »
Scott,
    I have criss-crossed the country numerous ways with my children to expose them to many of the great things there are to see in this country. We put a large focus on the outdoors. I would not leave the US without going to Yosemite. Niagara Falls is certainly a worthy destination as taking the Maid of the Mist right up to the base of the falls is quite impressive. New England I would try to catch with the fall color. NY Metropolitan Museum of Art is astounding. Most everything in Washington DC worth visiting is free. A horseback ride in Bryce Canyon will make you wish you never spent a day in Las Vegas, but since Las Vegas could be on your way to Bryce what the heck.
     I am in Chapel Hill, North Carolina and would be happy to be your tour guide if your travels take you through this area.
     Another suggestion would be to give us some of the focal points of the trip and we can add suggestions that are in that immediate area.

Thanks Ed. The canyon horseride sounds especially tempting as my partner is very much into equestrian sports and used to be a showjumper/cross country rider. That for her would be heaven.

With the great suggestions coming left, right and centre I am making plenty of notes of what areas I should see that weren't in my initial plans.

The Carolinas could well be in those plans.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2009, 05:10:30 PM »

. . . I see several people have mentioned this, but from your initial list, the biggest ommision is New Orleans, just a fantastic city to explore.

Pre-Katrina, I'd agree.  I haven't been to New Orleans post-Katrina, although I'm sure they'd like to have me (along with many other tourists).  Are the New Orleans recommendations in this thread based on recent, post-Katrina experience?

Scott Warren

« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2009, 05:12:54 PM »
My question exactly, Carl.

I was very keen to go there pre-Katrina, but the image I have been getting since then is that it is still very much in disarray. In a way, that's a great reason to visit and help the tourism trade stay in business, but if it's chaos, perhaps best to avoid it.

Can anyone give a first-hand account?

Greg Chambers

« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2009, 05:30:12 PM »
If you're looking for a beach that time of the year, then San Diego area will be your best bet.
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2009, 08:33:52 PM »
The quick answer is yes.  The National Parks of America are not to be missed. Yosemite and Yellowstone are without equal.  Not to mention Glacier and others.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2009, 08:55:53 PM »
From Niagara Falls to NYC:

I would stop in Ithaca, NY. Home to Cornell University and a lost generation of hippies turned Psychologist bathing nude in the gorges. Beautiful, intellectual, spiritual, cultural but average golf. In the summer season a great place. If they had Carolina winters, I would love to live there.

In NYC:

If you want to stay on Central Park South near Broadway for a reasonable price (NYC standards), contact me about http://www.nyac.org/

Mike Lacey

« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2009, 09:24:55 PM »
You need to re-plan the rail leg.  The train no longer goes through downtown Phoenix.  It stops at a town called Maricopa, about 40 miles to the south.  I am not confident you could rent a car at the train station. 

Air travel between Phx and either Las Vegas, SD or LA is cheap and frequent. 

James Bennett

« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2009, 09:25:54 PM »
I would not leave the US without going to Yosemite.   NY Metropolitan Museum of Art is astounding. Most everything in Washington DC worth visiting is free. A horseback ride in Bryce Canyon will make you wish you never spent a day in Las Vegas, but since Las Vegas could be on your way to Bryce what the heck.

What he said, plus Mike Sweeney's offer re NYC has location, location, location!

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2009, 09:41:11 PM »
When you know when you will be in Niagara Falls, make me aware so that I can meet you.  We'll take in the Falls, ride the Maid of the Mist, eat some Buffalo chicken wings and certainly get in some golf.

"Relegated to the munis."  Now there's a dumb-a&% statement.  Surely the only good golf in America is private clubs...indeed!  I'm always amazed at the extent of keyboard-in-mouth disease that flares up from time to time on this site.  Scott, I assure you that our public-access courses are memorable and worthwhile.  If you don't play the Long Island privates, the Westchester privates, or anyone's privates, for that matter, you will still have live a long and fulfilled life.

Kirk, the point that I hoped to make.  Just as there is no one "pure" Australian town, the same holds in the US of A.  We all make up the great quilt, the mosaic, the (stop me now)...  It truly is the people that make up the country,

That's all for now.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2009, 10:32:07 PM »
Scott,

Here's my take on your trip. 

I am from Minnesota and don't recommend coming anywhere near here in November!

I would try to take-in some very different golf experiences on your trip.  here are some ideas:

Pinehurst - obviously great golf and a very quaint little village with plenty of southern charm.

Alabama - Drop dead gorgeous golf courses with major elevation changes exist on the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail courses. Tie that into a college football game as others have suggested.

Arizona - Play one or two of the desert courses.  Nothing like it!  Tie that into a trip to the Grand Canyon.

San Fran area - Pasatiempo or some others you know what they are. Walk across the Golden Gate Bridge.  Go to wine country.  This is certainly one of the great areas in the USA.

Great club - Get on a great private club somewhere.

Other thoughts - Skip Orlando; not that interesting without kids. Go to New Orleans instead.  Unlike Orlando, everything is real.  Awesome food!

Make sure you tell us what you ended-up doing!

Good luck - Morgan

Andy Troeger

« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2009, 11:38:05 PM »
There's no right answer to the question obviously, but at least in 4-5 weeks you do have quite a bit of time and it depends on your preferences of what to see (natural, historical, golf, art, culture, etc).

From my travels:
Washington DC is important to see--the Smithsonian was a highlight in addition to the other many monuments and important places.

Sedona, AZ combined with the Grand Canyon is absolutely spectacular and should be worked in somewhere. From a "natural wonder" this one and Niagara Falls would be my first two recommendations (although there many other options). Many of the western national parks will be potentially cold and snowy at that time of year--great if you like skiing but potentially problemmatic weather. Arizona should be fine. On your way there stop through New Mexico and see Santa Fe and go up the tram in Albuquerque.

I'm not sure I'd mess with Florida other than to see a beach, and you can do that elsewhere as well. Las Vegas is unique and probably should be seen once, but don't stay long.

Scott Warren

« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2009, 07:37:18 AM »
Guys,

many thanks again to all who have posted, sent PMs or emailed me.

As I sift through all the advice and come up with a revised itinerary, I have a few questions.

1. What is the best train journey in the USA, scenery-wise? Those that fit the schedule I am toying with include Dallas-Denver, Chicago-Denver and Phoenix-Denver.
2. Is it worth going to Augusta, given I will already be in the general region, to see the town and try to catch a glimpse of the course somehow (through the fence behind 12 being the most obvious way, but I know that involves getting onto Augusta Country Club, which is probably an effort in itself...)?
3. Is San Fran to Seattle a journey worth doing by train, or am I best to drive that stretch?
4. Is there anything worth seeing between Seattle and Chicago, north of Colorado?

Thanks again.
Scott
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 08:58:27 AM by Scott Warren »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back