News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

USA roadtrip - a few final questions
« on: March 04, 2009, 02:33:27 PM »
So I figure after 100 posts I'm entitled to an OT post, and plus this place has a higher population of intelligent Americans than anywhere else I frequent.

Anyway, my good lady and I are planning a USA roadtrip late next year on our way home to Australia from the UK. Kinda in the future still, but I tend to plan holidays a long while in advance so I can make sure I cover everything and make it as good as it can be, and seeing this could very well be our only chance to see the USA I want to see everything worth seeing, so I don't get home with regrets.

The map below shows what we have devised as our rough plan, are there any glaring omissions?

I'm a country guy, so great country towns are the sort of thing I am looking for, and which I probably haven't heard of (unlike NYC and LA etc).

We're figuring we will have 4-5 weeks, and it will be around October/November.

Arrive: Boston

Drive: Boston > Niagara Falls > NYC > DC > Kentucky > Nashville > Alabama > Orlando

Fly: Orlando > San Antonio

Rail: San Diego > Arizona > San Diego

Drive: San Diego > LA > Vegas > San Fran > LA

Fly: LA > Sydney

« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 12:15:33 PM by Scott Warren »

Chris Garrett

Re: OT: USA roadtrip
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 02:50:03 PM »
Scott,

That sounds like a heck of a trip you are planning.  Before giving our expert advice, could you explain a bit more what you are looking for?  You mentioned "great country towns," and I'm not quite sure what you mean by that.  I'm sure that you could do a great tour of "country towns," and New England, Connecticut, and Upstate New York have many of those.  What sorts of things are you looking to do otherwise?  Are you a tourist attraction type of person?  Many of those are located in or near the big cities.  Are you looking to avoid big cities?  Are you looking to play golf during your trip?  What about the beach and warmer climates?  And lastly, any particular reason for inserting Kentucky and Tennessee into your itinerary?

I, and no doubt many others, will be more than willing to give you more advice and opinions than you could ever ask for.

Greg Krueger

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 02:57:52 PM »
Scott, I would try to hit the Rocky Mountains, Colorado. A lot to see and do.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 03:00:02 PM »
So I figure after 100 posts I'm entitled to an OT post, and plus this place has a higher population of intelligent Americans than anywhere else I frequent.

Anyway, my good lady and I are planning a USA roadtrip late next year on our way home to Australia from the UK. Kinda in the future still, but I tend to plan holidays a long while in advance so I can make sure I cover everything and make it as good as it can be, and seeing this could very well be our only chance to see the USA I want to see everything worth seeing, so I don't get home with regrets.

The map below shows what we have devised as our rough plan, are there any glaring omissions?

I'm a country guy, so great country towns are the sort of thing I am looking for, and which I probably haven't heard of (unlike NYC and LA etc).

We're figuring we will have 4-5 weeks.

Arrive: Boston

Drive: Boston > Niagara Falls > NYC > DC > Kentucky > Nashville > Alabama > Orlando

Fly: Orlando > San Antonio

Rail: San Diego > Arizona > San Diego

Drive: San Diego > LA > Vegas > San Fran > LA

Fly: LA > Sydney

Way to absolutely skip the large city between NYC and DC.

And no, it's not Baltimore.

Or Wilmington.

Scott Warren

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 03:00:39 PM »
You mentioned "great country towns," and I'm not quite sure what you mean by that.  I'm sure that you could do a great tour of "country towns," and New England, Connecticut, and Upstate New York have many of those. 

Basically just towns that are the "real" America. Though I know with the varied cultures from east to west and north to south there are many varieties of "real" America. I just find big cities give you a skewed perception of a country, so I'd like to match the obvious places like NYC with some places with country charm.

Are you looking to play golf during your trip?  What about the beach and warmer climates?  And lastly, any particular reason for inserting Kentucky and Tennessee into your itinerary?

I'm planning on playing golf, probably 4-5 games, but I tried as hard as I could to not let that rule our planning of the itinerary. Having said that, most of the courses I have in mind are on the route we have planned...

Kentucky and Tennessee were recommended to me by a bloke I travelled with in Europe a few years ago (he's from Nashville). Are they not worth the detour?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 03:03:56 PM by Scott Warren »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 03:01:00 PM »
Of course this goes without saying, but no trip to our country is complete without seeing the mega-attraction that is....

HUCKABY, MISSOURI.

;D

Just kidding of course.  Such does exist but my does it look like nothing on a map.

Methinks we need the answers to Chris' questions before we Americans weigh in too heavily.  Heck the trip looks great as is to me.  But answer those and perhaps more specific recommendations/advice can be given.

LATE EDIT - I SEE SUCH ANSWERS ARRIVED...

then my first submission is this:  I have no clue what "real America" is - to me it's Los Angeles, which ought to tell you something.  But I do think if you want small town, then I go back to the beginning of my post.  Just make sure and send me a picture.

2nd - the drive from Las Vegas to SF can really only be completed in summer... closed for snow in winter.. in fact lots of what you have planned is problematic in winter here.. I assume this is a summer trip?  In any case make sure and include Lake Tahoe.. looks like you are.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 03:04:12 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Scott Warren

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 03:02:26 PM »

Or Wilmington.

Philly? Atlantic City? Pittsburgh?

Kyle Harris

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 03:03:46 PM »

Or Wilmington.

Philly? Atlantic City? Pittsburgh?

Philadelphia.

It's a Philly. Always gets totally skipped between the two.  ;)

PCCraig

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 03:15:07 PM »
I think Boston is fantastic starting point...except I would just drive the entire east coast, then fly to Chicago, then PHX and up the west coast.

Niagra Falls and KY (the midwest) are cool and all, but there is just so much more to see in a tighter area on the coasts (and Chicago of course).
H.P.S.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 03:22:52 PM »
" . . . this could very well be our only chance to see the USA I want to see everything worth seeing, so I don't get home with regrets. . . . I'm a country guy, so great country towns are the sort of thing I am looking for . . . ."

Scott, by "late next year, I take it you mean something like Nov. 2010.  Weather issues would then help explain why you've omitted the upper midwest and the northwest, the latter area being particularly worthwhile if trying to "do the USA," I think.

That having been said, I'd say to forget about seeing everything worth seeing.  See what you think will interest you the most, and go home without regrets.  I've lived my entire 67 years in the US, and done a great deal of traveling around our country, yet there is no way I have (or ever could) see everything I thought worth seeing.  Four to five weeks is pretty short, even given that you're crossing the great width of the country by air and rail.

Try to spend time talking with people.  I'm sure you will, but I want to emphasize that.  I predict that most will be very friendly and welcoming, but of course we have our share of those who can be difficult, just like anywhere else.

I notice that you're thinking of cutting across southern West Virginia, my original home state (for the past 44 years I've lived in North Carolina, now my home).  You may have something specific you've picked out in W.Va.  You will find plenty of small "country towns" there and I can give you some specific suggestions later, privately.  How "great" you are going to find them will depend on your perspective.  You will also find that this area is likely the most economically depressed in the US (that would include adjoining eastern Kentucky).  There's some very nice natural scenery, of course, though a better time to see it would be in the summer.

Not to take anything away from W.Va., but have you considered instead continuing from Washington, DC on south through Virginia, into North Carolina and then over into Tennessee and on to Nashville and Memphis?  Again, I can give you some specifics privately.

Las Vegas -- go for it, definitely.  That's one place on my list to visit.  We're not talking small country town, obviously, but it's a singular piece of the country.

I wanted to do this quick post to get you started, but will follow up later one way or the other.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 03:24:45 PM »
Scott,

The golf season kind of unofficially ends for much of the country on Nov. 1; especially on the east coast. Oct. can be a good time to play in those locals, as most of the regulars will have put their clubs to bed for the winter. Playing the great courses is easier if you belong to a Club and can have your Pro make a few introductory calls for you; else wise you will be relegated to the munis.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 03:26:06 PM »
Is this indeed going to be winter?

If so need to change teh CA part... LV to SF takes you through some wonderful mountains... meaning SNOW... in fact parts of your route may ineed be closed.  If you change the route to go LV-LA-SF and then fly out of SF, you have no issues.

Of course if you do that.. extending a few days to go farther north is tempting.... OR and WA hold their own beauties, and the route passes more of the "real America" you seek.... and maybe even gets you to Bandon...

I am an evil temptor.

TH

PCCraig

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 03:26:36 PM »
Las Vegas -- go for it, definitely.  That's one place on my list to visit.  We're not talking small country town, obviously, but it's a singular piece of the country.

One place you couldn't pay me enough to go back to.
H.P.S.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 03:29:00 PM »

Pat,

I agree.

Bob

Scott Warren

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 03:30:37 PM »
Not to take anything away from W.Va., but have you considered instead continuing from Washington, DC on south through Virginia, into North Carolina and then over into Tennessee and on to Nashville and Memphis?  Again, I can give you some specifics privately.

Thanks Carl. The routes between destinations wasn't something I had put a heap of thought into yet, so that change in routing could work, definitely.

And with Las Vegas, I think it's unique in the world, let alone America!

Chris Garrett

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2009, 03:31:48 PM »
Here are some suggestions, keeping the same general route as you have planned:

I would try to fly into Toronto, Canada.  From there, you can drive south, through Niagara Falls, and cross Upstate New York.  Upstate New York is a beautiful area.  You can cross and drive up to any number of seaside towns in Maine.  Portland, Maine, gets a lot of press for being a quintessential New England fishing village.  From there, you can drive south to Boston.  Boston has a ton of history, and I recommend visiting Harvard University and Harvard Square while there.  From Boston, you can visit Newport, Rhode Island.  The former summer getaway of the NYC wealthy.

From Newport, you can work your way across Connecticut, which is filled with charming small towns and fishing villages.  That will lead you to NYC.  Go see Times Square, but only to say you've seen it.  There are many other, more worthwhile things to do in the city than the normal touristy things.

From NYC, drive south to the town of Princeton, New Jersey.  Princeton is a very charming little town, and is home to a wonderful University.  I would then drive south to Philadelphia, another town filled with history and historical sites.  From Phily, you can drive south to Washington DC.  Make sure to visit Mount Vernon while in DC.  It is George Washington's home.  I'd then drive across Virginia and visit Charlottesville, which is home to the University of Virginia, and visit Monticello (Thomas Jefferson's home).  From there, you can drive south and visit Pinehurst, North Carolina. 

From Pinehurst, I would go to Charleston, South Carolina, and Savannah, Georgia.  They are two historical, beautiful small cities. 

From Savannah, you can drive around and see a lot of the small towns in the deep south.  You can also drive south through Florida to Miami.  Miami will give you a sense of a completely different culture in America. 

From Miami, I would fly into New Orleans.  New Orleans is distinctively itself.  It is a great town, and a must visit.  You could then drive from New Orleans to Houston, Texas.  My advice would be then to fly to Seattle, Washington.  The Pacific Northwest is home to some of the finest that mother nature has to offer.  You could drive down through Portland, San Francisco, the Monterey Peninsula, and LA.

I hope that's only semi-confusing.  I'm not sure that Kentucky and Tennessee have enough to offer to warrant you driving as far out of your way as you would be going to do so.

Scott Warren

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2009, 03:32:27 PM »

If so need to change teh CA part... LV to SF takes you through some wonderful mountains... meaning SNOW... in fact parts of your route may ineed be closed.  If you change the route to go LV-LA-SF and then fly out of SF, you have no issues.

Of course if you do that.. extending a few days to go farther north is tempting.... OR and WA hold their own beauties, and the route passes more of the "real America" you seek.... and maybe even gets you to Bandon...

I am an evil temptor.

TH

My original idea was LV > SD > LA > SF, but that was going to involve some doubling back, which was why we changed it, but if the route will be closed or snow affected, the original is probably better. Thanks.

I saw Bandon sitting up there oh so tem;ptingly close to San Fran and it was hard not to extend that red line a bit further north!

Carl Johnson

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2009, 03:33:19 PM »

Pat,

I agree.

Bob

I doubt very much I'd go back again either, but I'd still like to go for the first time.

Scott Warren

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2009, 03:34:17 PM »
Scott,

The golf season kind of unofficially ends for much of the country on Nov. 1; especially on the east coast. Oct. can be a good time to play in those locals, as most of the regulars will have put their clubs to bed for the winter. Playing the great courses is easier if you belong to a Club and can have your Pro make a few introductory calls for you; else wise you will be relegated to the munis.

I am a member of a club in the UK, so I will look into that. I figured any golf would have to be in the southern states because of the weather...

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2009, 03:36:55 PM »

I am an evil temptor.

TH

My original idea was LV > SD > LA > SF, but that was going to involve some doubling back, which was why we changed it, but if the route will be closed or snow affected, the original is probably better. Thanks.

I saw Bandon sitting up there oh so tem;ptingly close to San Fran and it was hard not to extend that red line a bit further north!

Very cool.  I likely don't need to say this as you seem to be well into the planning... but the US is a huge place.  Extending that red line from SF to Bandon means about a 10hour drive at least.  Still... few drives are more worth doing.

The snow issues are very real the route you have now.  As for doubling back, such is not necessary if you fly out of a more northern city than LA, of course.  LV-SD-LA-SF-home.. no doubling back at all... just take a very cool detour through PALM DESERT on the way to SD.

TH

Scott Warren

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2009, 03:37:45 PM »

I would try to fly into Toronto, Canada.  From there, you can drive south, through Niagara Falls, and cross Upstate New York.  Upstate New York is a beautiful area.  You can cross and drive up to any number of seaside towns in Maine.  Portland, Maine, gets a lot of press for being a quintessential New England fishing village.  From there, you can drive south to Boston.  Boston has a ton of history, and I recommend visiting Harvard University and Harvard Square while there.  From Boston, you can visit Newport, Rhode Island.  The former summer getaway of the NYC wealthy.

From Newport, you can work your way across Connecticut, which is filled with charming small towns and fishing villages.  That will lead you to NYC.  Go see Times Square, but only to say you've seen it.  There are many other, more worthwhile things to do in the city than the normal touristy things.

From NYC, drive south to the town of Princeton, New Jersey.  Princeton is a very charming little town, and is home to a wonderful University.  I would then drive south to Philadelphia, another town filled with history and historical sites.  From Phily, you can drive south to Washington DC.  Make sure to visit Mount Vernon while in DC.  It is George Washington's home.  I'd then drive across Virginia and visit Charlottesville, which is home to the University of Virginia, and visit Monticello (Thomas Jefferson's home).  From there, you can drive south and visit Pinehurst, North Carolina. 

From Pinehurst, I would go to Charleston, South Carolina, and Savannah, Georgia.  They are two historical, beautiful small cities. 

From Savannah, you can drive around and see a lot of the small towns in the deep south.  You can also drive south through Florida to Miami.  Miami will give you a sense of a completely different culture in America. 

From Miami, I would fly into New Orleans.  New Orleans is distinctively itself.  It is a great town, and a must visit.  You could then drive from New Orleans to Houston, Texas.  My advice would be then to fly to Seattle, Washington.  The Pacific Northwest is home to some of the finest that mother nature has to offer.  You could drive down through Portland, San Francisco, the Monterey Peninsula, and LA.

I hope that's only semi-confusing.  I'm not sure that Kentucky and Tennessee have enough to offer to warrant you driving as far out of your way as you would be going to do so.

Wow. Thanks very much for that. It seems there is a lot of love for the north west (which would also take us through Bandon on the way to California ;D).

Lots to consider. I can't thank you all enough.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2009, 03:51:55 PM »
Scott,

I am a member of a club in the UK, so I will look into that. I figured any golf would have to be in the southern states because of the weather...

Scott,

My wife and I drove cross country in Oct two years ago. We spent 21 days to get from Boston to San Diego. We had good weather for golf almost everywhere, although it was quite coild in Ballyneal in Colorado; we where there on Oct. 23.  However had that been in Nov. it could have been completely different.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Cabell Ackerly

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2009, 03:54:54 PM »

Chris has it exactly right all the way to New Orleans. From there fly to Denver, CO. Go have lunch in Boulder and drive from Boulder to Aspen, CO. Spend a day or two in Aspen and then head to Moab, Utah. Arches National Park and the adjoining natural areas shouldn't be missed. You're not too far from the Grand Canyon at that point, so you might as well go take a look. Hit Vegas after that, then LA, Monterey, SF and keep going north until you hit Canada again. There really is a lot to see in the Pacific Northwest.

You will have missed Rocky Mountain, Yellowstone, Glacier and Yosemite National Parks...which is a shame...but considering the time of year, they may not be that worth it anyway.

Scott Warren

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2009, 03:56:28 PM »
Thanks Cabel. Another vote for the northwest!

My wife and I drove cross country in Oct two years ago. We spent 21 days to get from Boston to San Diego. We had good weather for golf almost everywhere, although it was quite coild in Ballyneal in Colorado; we where there on Oct. 23.  However had that been in Nov. it could have been completely different.

Thanks Pete. The exact timing is still kind of up in the air. I'd like to do it in Sept/Oct, but our visas in the UK don't expire until early Nov.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 06:47:58 AM by Scott Warren »

Chris Garrett

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2009, 04:02:06 PM »
Scott,

October would be just about the perfect time to take your trip.  Not too cold in the north, and not too hot in the south.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back