News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Re: Composite Course at MPCC
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2009, 12:28:30 AM »
Scott,

Very good point, that will make for a great bye hole...

And at the risk of getting carried away, I'll say it anyways, I think the Composite course could easily be top 25 in the world...

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2009, 09:57:12 AM »
Kalen - that's not getting carried away at all - that was my thinking also, and why I was hoping it would get ranking consideration... just for fun.....

John M.:  shhhhhhhh!  At least a few (including me) find the Dunes to be BETTER than the Shore.  So 36 there is always a great call.  THis composite just also seems like a lot of fun.

Rob - American Gooner here... for about 10 years now - got into a little when kids started playing soccer... really got into it when my son decided Arsenal was to be our team (based purely on the cool name).  Been living and dieing with our boys for 5-6 years... so not the BEST of times in Gooner-terms, but not bad.  1-3 yesterday was nice.  Now go Man City today!

TH

Kalen Braley

« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2009, 10:29:45 AM »
Just as an interesting side note...

The course will have

5 Par 3s
6 Par 4s
7 Par 5s

Ahh baby the fun factor will be off the charts.   ;D

Kalen Braley

« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2009, 10:31:27 AM »
And...how about this for a varied routing:

5, 3, 4, 4, 5, 3, 5, 4, 3
5, 3, 5, 4, 3, 4, 5, 4, 5

Only once in the round do you play two holes of same par back to back...

Sean Leary

« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2009, 12:08:20 PM »
Has anyone figured out what the Matt Ward yardage will be on the scorecard?

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2009, 01:43:03 PM »
Has anyone figured out what the Matt Ward yardage will be on the scorecard?

Sean,

It is 7,174 yards from the Gold (back) tees and has a par of 74.

Bob

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2009, 01:44:34 PM »
Bob - will you guys go to the trouble of producing a separate scorecard for the April event and/or future use?

And do you care about a course rating/slope so the scores may be posted?

Just curious....

Jim Nugent

« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2009, 02:36:51 PM »
Any estimates on course and bogey ratings? 

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2009, 02:44:02 PM »
Any estimates on course and bogey ratings? 

NCGA could give them that quite easily.
However to estimate such without getting the exact.. well we need John Vanderborght.  Heck he's the one to ask to get the exact anyway.

;D

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2009, 03:44:26 PM »
Bob - will you guys go to the trouble of producing a separate scorecard for the April event and/or future use?

Just curious....

Tom,

I doubt it very much. The Pro Shop will probably patch together a piece of light cardboard and that will be that. One never knows, future Boards might well think that the taking of the course out of play for a day, deprives the bulk of the membership of playing time, hence this sould be a one off deal.

Bob

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2009, 03:46:51 PM »

Just curious....

Tom,

I doubt it very much. The Pro Shop will probably patch together a piece of light cardboard and that will be that. One never knows, future Boards might well think that the taking of the course out of play for a day, deprives the bulk of the membership of playing time, hence this sould be a one off deal.

Bob

That of course makes great sense.  The whole thing just to me sounds so fun, I was curious how far it would be taken.

TH

Jim Nugent

« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2009, 04:48:06 PM »
Huck, without ever having seen the holes, I'm going to make a guess.  Course rating will not be real high compared to par.  But bogey rating, and therefore slope, will be high.

My reasoning is that scratch golfers will do real well on those many par 5's.  But the same holes will give bogey lots of troubles. 

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2009, 04:52:02 PM »
Huck, without ever having seen the holes, I'm going to make a guess.  Course rating will not be real high compared to par.  But bogey rating, and therefore slope, will be high.

My reasoning is that scratch golfers will do real well on those many par 5's.  But the same holes will give bogey lots of troubles. 

That reasoning makes great sense to me.

What also makes sense - and this comes from knowing the golf holes a bit - is that it seems to me that the course will be exceedingly fun.  None of those par fives are killers for either golfer... and each are action-type, reachable holes for a lot.  The par threes are all incredible.  The par fours have nary a slouch in them....

TH

Kalen Braley

« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2009, 04:56:29 PM »

That reasoning makes great sense to me.

What also makes sense - and this comes from knowing the golf holes a bit - is that it seems to me that the course will be exceedingly fun.  None of those par fives are killers for either golfer... and each are action-type, reachable holes for a lot.  The par threes are all incredible.  The par fours have nary a slouch in them....

TH

Tom,

You're on to something here. With all those sweet Par 5's, very solid to great par 4's and the awesome par 3's....this could be a top 10 course.  I see no weaknesses other than the perception that 7 par 5s is too many.

James Bennett

« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2009, 08:05:26 PM »
Bob

I'll have a go at posting  photos on the weekend, if no-one else has done it before.

Have you worked out the stroke index yet - where will shots be given for the wolfes and pigs?

And, I will miss the opening of this event - the opening of the MPCC Ocean course is on the 50th anniversary of a unique moment in history - well my personal history anyway.  I know it is a Monday this year.  Have a great day Bob.
Personally, I would be nearly as happy playing the other 18 holes that didn't make the composite, especially holes likes Dunes #3 and Dunes #8 (I think, the downhill par 4 with the fairway bisected by a diagonal creek near the green).

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2009, 10:48:58 PM »
James,

You should be on a Quiz Show with your incredible memory.

You played umpteen courses all over the US and seem to remember every hole you played. The 8th on the  Dunes is a damn good hole. Years ago, Lawson Little, a member here, introduced a new tee to the left of the current one and it made a remarkable difference to the playing of the hole. It was abandoned a few years later for no good reason.

Bob

James Bennett

« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2009, 10:57:28 PM »
Bob

I remember the good holes.  Most of them at MPCC are good holes.

I also recall that you should never go PIG on #7 Dunes, and that you can rely on a Rhodesian to hole a long, long putt on Dunes #12 par 5 (because Rhodesians hate losing, hate seeing their guests lose and hate seeing Texans win!).  Oh, and also that car salesmen are very wobbly on short putts on exposed greens like Dunes #13 par 3.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Stan Dodd

« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2009, 10:59:39 AM »
I think these are some of the best holes at MPCC, some really good ones would be left out.  But would the composite lose points for being composed of holes with vastly different playability, including different grasses on fairways and greens.   The Dunes holes play completely different than the Shore holes.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2009, 11:04:50 AM »
Those are good questions, Stan.

I think you are right - some damn fine holes are ommitted without a doubt.  However... I can't think of a BETTER way to do a composite 18 hole routing than what is suggested.  Do you have any ideas?

As for the holes playing differently, that is one heck of a good point - the different grasses alone make for that effect.  But my feeling is the course GAINS points for this... it's unique as all hell, and we are always clamoring for creative ways to make different challenges.. well, here you go!

TH

Sean Leary

« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2009, 11:09:15 AM »
The grasses are even a different color on the two courses on the aerial....How far of a walk is it to the first tee of the composite course from the Clubhouse?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2009, 11:12:46 AM »
The grasses are even a different color on the two courses on the aerial....How far of a walk is it to the first tee of the composite course from the Clubhouse?

Need someone to do Google earth job... in any case my feeling is it's too far to walk - they will shuttle out and shuttle back when done.  So of course this isn't intended as any permanent thing.. just a fun lark, more or less.

TH

Kalen Braley

« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2009, 11:31:39 AM »
Sean,

If you wanted to walk the whole thing...it'd be about 4/10ths of a mile walk to the 1st tee.  And then when your done about 2/3rds of a mile walk back to the clubhouse.

And both of these would be a walk thru the local neighboorhood.  ;)

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2009, 12:55:52 PM »
My original suggestion was to start on the Dunes 10th hole, there is a possibility that might well happen. It would then be a par 72.

Bob

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2009, 01:00:10 PM »
My original suggestion was to start on the Dunes 10th hole, there is a possibility that might well happen. It would then be a par 72.

Bob

Would that mean then you delete Dunes #9?

To me that's a crying shame... one of the best shortish par fives on this planet....

Par 74 makes it fun and cool as I see it.  But then again I love all of the par fives included.

TH

Kalen Braley

« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2009, 01:01:44 PM »
As well as being a par 72, it would have 6 each of 3s, 4s, and 5s.... a nice balance!  :)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back