News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

Composite Course at MPCC
« on: March 02, 2009, 09:03:36 PM »
It's a done deal. We are going to initiate the Composite Course on the 27th April and for those of you that have played here before,  the routing will be as follows.

Ocean Course Hole Rotation:

1 - #9 Dunes     10 - #10 Shore
2 - #10 Dunes   11 - #11 Shore
3 - #11 Dunes   12 - #12 Shore
4 - #12 Dunes   13 - #13 Shore
5 - #13 Dunes   14 - #14 Shore
6 - #14 Dunes   15 - #15 Shore
7 - #15 Dunes   16 - #5 Shore
8 - #8 Shore      17 - #6 Shore
9 - #9 Shore      18 - #7 Shore

Bob

Chip Gaskins

Re: Composite Course at MPCC
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 09:10:02 PM »
I have heard this would be an unbelievable composite!

On the other famous composite courses, Royal Melbourne and The Country Club, were both courses designed by the same person/group?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 09:25:47 PM »
It's a done deal. We are going to initiate the Composite Course on the 27th April and for those of you that have played here before,  the routing will be as follows.

Bob

Bob, since I haven't played the Dunes, just wondering how long is the walk from #15 Dunes to the #8 tee on the Shore course?

I'll be in Southern Calif for the Kings Putter 4/16-21, wish 4/27 would find me still in Cali!  It does sound like fun.  ;D

Kalen Braley

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 09:42:04 PM »
I prepared the following aerial of the composite course with hole numbers.   It does have a slightly different routing for the last 3 holes.  It goes #16 Shore, #5 Shore, #6 Shore as holes 16-18 as I'm guessing this is what Bob meant to write.... I hope..   :)

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 09:56:48 AM »
Yahoooooo!

Sounds very cool.

Just curious as to logistics... shuttles out to starting hole and back from finishing hole?  People who want to do this fit into regular play, or would that be the only course played on some given days?

It does make for one hell of a great golf course... and if Royal Melbourne gets "ranked" based on their composite, then so should MPCC.  And if it does, look for a shakeup in our state and national rankings - big time.

BTW in terms of course rating/slope - I'm sure you know this - but you can just ask the NCGA to give you such.  It goes hole by hole and they have the data already - it would be very simple to provide.  So no need for us heathens to descend on you again either.   ;D

rjsimper

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 10:34:54 AM »
Interesting color differential in the turf based on that aerial - I wonder if it's an old photo from the young days of the new Shore course...The grasses are the same on both courses, right?

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 10:38:32 AM »
I prepared the following aerial of the composite course with hole numbers.   It does have a slightly different routing for the last 3 holes.  It goes #16 Shore, #5 Shore, #6 Shore as holes 16-18 as I'm guessing this is what Bob meant to write.... I hope..   :)

Kalen,

It is as written, you come off the 16th of the Shore Course, walk 25 yards to the 5th tee, play the  the 5th, 6th and finish on the 7th green.

Bob

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 10:39:25 AM »
Interesting color differential in the turf based on that aerial - I wonder if it's an old photo from the young days of the new Shore course...The grasses are the same on both courses, right?

No.  The grasses are in fact different.  Bob can say which is which... you get different seed mix bottles for each course....

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 10:45:37 AM »

Bob

Bob, since I haven't played the Dunes, just wondering how long is the walk from #15 Dunes to the #8 tee on the Shore course?

I'll be in Southern Calif for the Kings Putter 4/16-21, wish 4/27 would find me still in Cali!  It does sound like fun.  ;D

Bill,

The walk from the 15th green depends on what tees are played. From the the back markers I would hazard a guess of, say about a 100-150 yards. Shuttles will be available in the event of a Shotgun start.

Bob

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 10:47:46 AM »

Ryan,

No, Shore bent, Dunes rye.

Bob

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 10:53:51 AM »
Yahoooooo!

Sounds very cool.

Just curious as to logistics... shuttles out to starting hole and back from finishing hole?  People who want to do this fit into regular play, or would that be the only course played on some given days?

It does make for one hell of a great golf course... and if Royal Melbourne gets "ranked" based on their composite, then so should MPCC.  And if it does, look for a shakeup in our state and national rankings - big time.

BTW in terms of course rating/slope - I'm sure you know this - but you can just ask the NCGA to give you such.  It goes hole by hole and they have the data already - it would be very simple to provide.  So no need for us heathens to descend on you again either.   ;D

Tom,

This required a lot of negotiation. This is a one off thing that hopefully will be done once a year for members. Should not enough members sign up guests will be invited.

Applications with certified checks of enormous sums thereon will be accepted for consideration of a spot. Just kidding, it seems that there is a considerable amount of interest in playing the layout.

Bob

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 11:00:23 AM »
Bob:

Well of course who am I to suggest guest play on such a thing?

;D

Seriously - I was asking how it would work FOR MEMBERS.  Just curious about the mechanics.  Thinking about it more... the only issue with doing it any given time would be the leap from 15 Dunes to 8 Shore, no?  Assuming an open tee on 8 Shore, why not do it whenever one wished?  Of course you'd also need to provide the shuttles to the start point (and make sure that tee is open too) and from the end point....

I guess the question is more given a relatively slow day, couldn't you just CHOOSE to play the composite?

I also remain genuinely curious about the ranking issue... we shall have to take that up with the magazines.... and getting even crazier about this.. perhaps blasphemic... might not someday this become Course A and the remaining holes Course B?  Not sure if that is better or worse on the overall... you'd sure have one oceanside course and one inland.... but there are plusses for doing this for sure.. kinda how LACC North and South work out.... it is food for thought anyway.

TH
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 11:03:33 AM by Tom Huckaby »

PCCraig

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 11:05:44 AM »
VERY cool.
H.P.S.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 11:15:51 AM »
Why are they doing this?  The shore course is already ranked in the top 100.  Do they think a composite course would be an overall better course? 

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2009, 11:21:44 AM »
Why are they doing this?  The shore course is already ranked in the top 100.  Do they think a composite course would be an overall better course? 

Laughing... I doubt rankings drive any decisions at MPCC, but of course Bob can speak to this.  ;D

My guess is they are setting it up as a one-off type of thing just because it looks FUN to play. It's idiot me that related it to rankings.  And if it does become played often, well... fair is fair.. if RM counts then this does too.  And would it not be a shakeup in our state?

The composite does seem at first glance to be superior to either existing course.. but who knows, it depends on how it all works when flowing together, also.  The main thing is it incorporates all the seaside holes, which in and of itself just seems quite fun.

TH

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2009, 11:31:29 AM »

Joel,

Having played Royal Melbourne and heard the comments on their composite, I thought I would influence the Board at MPCC and at least give the members a chance to play, what I think,  would be a unique layout.

To my surprise they agreed to cut out a days play and allow it to happen.

This had nothing to do with ratings, with which I have little interest.

Bob

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2009, 11:35:42 AM »
Bob - methinks once the members get a taste of this there may be clamor for more....

It will be very interesting to see anyway!  Sounds very fun - you instigator you.

;D

TH
(btw, you can have a rating/slope very easily for this if that's an issue for anyone - just call NCGA - heck if John V. sees this he could probably make it happen quite easily)

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2009, 11:50:18 AM »
Nice going, Bob...it certainly looks to maximize the coastal experience and best openly scenic and dramatic parts of the property.

PCCraig

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2009, 01:31:49 PM »
I have never been there...but what would prevent this layout from being "permanent." Would you not rather have one GREAT golf course and one Average (disclaimer-I'm not calling the course average I'm just pointing this out for discussion) course versus two Above Average courses?
H.P.S.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2009, 01:34:58 PM »
I have never been there...but what would prevent this layout from being "permanent." Would you not rather have one GREAT golf course and one Average (disclaimer-I'm not calling the course average I'm just pointing this out for discussion) course versus two Above Average courses?

That was one of the questions I asked above.

Of course what prevents it here are logistics.  Separating it this way makes neither course would start nor end near the very wonderful clubhouse and practice area.  However it is food for thought, in a hypothetical way.

Note also that your disclaimer is also well-said and needed... neither of these courses are anything close to average.   ;D

Dave_Miller

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2009, 01:40:32 PM »

Bob

Bob
Speaking for one who has played both courses in the past the Composite course would be a lot of fun.
Best
Dave

Bill_McBride

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2009, 01:45:34 PM »
I haven't played the Dunes but loved the Stranz version of the Shore.  Would the stylistic differences in design between the two courses be really noticeable?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2009, 01:47:58 PM »
I haven't played the Dunes but loved the Stranz version of the Shore.  Would the stylistic differences in design between the two courses be really noticeable?

Would it matter?

All holes included are great golf holes.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2009, 01:48:57 PM »

Would it matter?

All holes included are great golf holes.

I was just curious. 

Which of course killed the cat.

PCCraig

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2009, 01:53:46 PM »

That was one of the questions I asked above.

Of course what prevents it here are logistics.  Separating it this way makes neither course would start nor end near the very wonderful clubhouse and practice area.  However it is food for thought, in a hypothetical way.

Note also that your disclaimer is also well-said and needed... neither of these courses are anything close to average.   ;D

Sorry-I should have read your post a little better.

I think it's an interesting thought about Composite Courses in general...should a club automatically take their 18 best holes and call that their #1? And then anything left over is just the #2 course?
H.P.S.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back