News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Cirba

Re: Volcano Bunkers
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2009, 09:45:10 AM »
Mike,

Nothing wrong with the occaisional feature that is there just to make golfers go "hmmm?" is there?

Exactly, Jeff.   

Whimsy and even downright weirdness certainly has a place in the pantheon, all in good measure.  ;D

Tim Nugent

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2009, 10:49:00 AM »
Hate 'em.
Coasting is a downhill process

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2009, 01:58:24 PM »
I reckon I am in the Paul Camp.  This type of bunker is akin to visiting the freak show tent at the circus.  As I am on the straight and narrow campaign of reducing the use of sand I don't see how I can can for this sort of thing.  That said, at least its a bit different and for this reason alone I would take it over the endlessly bland and pointless pits that are built in the name of architectural progress.

Ciao 

Sean - My memory might be askew, but... #7 at Huntercombe - does it not have volcano type bunkers? I can't find a photo anywhere, but I see this type of bunker in my mind's eye.

Tony Nysse - The Dye Course at Colleton River Plantation definitely uses this type of bunker in several places... as does Dye's course at Hampton Hall. I'm not positive, but I believe this Volcano-type bunker can also be found at the new Heron Point course that Dye built over the old Sea Marsh property.

Dye uses this feature often... and not just recently as this bunker can be found at Prestwick CC in Surfside Beach, SC which was built in 1989.

I'm confident there used to be a volcano bunker on the par-5 11th hole at The Ocean Course at Kiawah. As I remember, it protected the direct line to the green on one's second shot or forced a layup to the right. I don't believe it is still there, however. Perhaps Mike Vegas can comment.

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Sean_A

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2009, 05:34:39 PM »
I reckon I am in the Paul Camp.  This type of bunker is akin to visiting the freak show tent at the circus.  As I am on the straight and narrow campaign of reducing the use of sand I don't see how I can can for this sort of thing.  That said, at least its a bit different and for this reason alone I would take it over the endlessly bland and pointless pits that are built in the name of architectural progress.

Ciao 

Sean - My memory might be askew, but... #7 at Huntercombe - does it not have volcano type bunkers? I can't find a photo anywhere, but I see this type of bunker in my mind's eye.

Tony Nysse - The Dye Course at Colleton River Plantation definitely uses this type of bunker in several places... as does Dye's course at Hampton Hall. I'm not positive, but I believe this Volcano-type bunker can also be found at the new Heron Point course that Dye built over the old Sea Marsh property.

Dye uses this feature often... and not just recently as this bunker can be found at Prestwick CC in Surfside Beach, SC which was built in 1989.

I'm confident there used to be a volcano bunker on the par-5 11th hole at The Ocean Course at Kiawah. As I remember, it protected the direct line to the green on one's second shot or forced a layup to the right. I don't believe it is still there, however. Perhaps Mike Vegas can comment.

Whitty

If you are referring to the wee bunkers on the right between the green and the road I wouldn't call them volcanoes - though they are trending toward that style.  They look to me like little alpinization mounding with some sand chucked into the side rather than on top.  You may just be able to make out one of the bunekrs in the pic below.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

paul cowley

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2009, 07:04:11 PM »
Mr Dye has used them at the Dye course at Barefoot as well.....and I think they are totally correct as part of his design palette.....so much that if I used them on some of my work, I would be concerned that others would think I was trying to emulate his stuff....not that that is really a concern....I just don't feel comfortable creating a cone shaped mound and putting a concave scoop of sand at the top....Pete doesn't care and that 's why he's great....besides I probably have enough weirder stuff going on and probably shouldn't throw stones. 
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2009, 10:44:15 PM »

Ciao 

Whitty

If you are referring to the wee bunkers on the right between the green and the road I wouldn't call them volcanoes - though they are trending toward that style.  They look to me like little alpinization mounding with some sand chucked into the side rather than on top.  You may just be able to make out one of the bunekrs in the pic below.

Ciao

Sean - I must have the visual mixed up in my head from the abbreviated tour that occurred during my last visit to Huntercombe because that is not the way i remember the hole. I thought there were bunkers in the mounds to the left. Am I hallucinating?

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2009, 01:05:41 AM »
Fair enough Paul.

As far as the smileys go.... I have no comment.

You mentioned it.......Although I think your choice of theme course would be more suited to a beginners course or a par 3 course. Go for it!

Anyhow, thanks. I think I made a good choice....  :D I can live with the guitar, just not the USGA sing-alongs.

Sean_A

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2009, 03:58:39 AM »

Ciao 

Whitty

Ciao

Sean - I must have the visual mixed up in my head from the abbreviated tour that occurred during my last visit to Huntercombe because that is not the way i remember the hole. I thought there were bunkers in the mounds to the left. Am I hallucinating?

Whitty

Yes, I think you were hallucinating.  The bunkers may be there to protect the road.  All I know is that I wish green space were created short of the present green in between the two sets of mini alps.  On your next trip maybe we can play the long version of Huntercombe - yes?

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2009, 08:17:44 AM »

These aren't volcano bunkers but there's a family likeness. 3rd hole at Royal County Down.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2009, 08:23:28 AM »
I have never seen a "Volcano" bunker in real life and hope I never have to.

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2009, 10:17:22 AM »

Actually, Pete put that one in in 2003 during his most recent renovation (and it's still there).  He wanted to tempt the better player to go for this par-5 in 2 but gave them plenty to cause them trouble if they didn't hit a perfect shot.  It generally doesn't come into play with a short iron...

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2009, 06:11:51 PM »
Thanks, Mike for the update... I will put the bunker back into my mental inventory!!!

Michael Rossi

« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2009, 06:49:57 PM »
I would guess that the volcano bunker was inspired by natural dunes.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back