News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Jeffrey Prest

I'm not sure even the venue will make me watch pro golf soon, not when I have to see an historical venue saddled with 21st century yardages. Watching Cary Grant trying to act like John Wayne isn't my idea of fun.

TEPaul

"Re: Does the actual golf course being played influenced whether you watch on TV?"

Yes, it's beginning to more and more. I've never seen this Dove Mountain (or whatever this Nicklaus course is called where they're playing the Match Play Championship) but I've got to say some of those holes and the way those pros are playing them (and what's happening to them in play) is definitely getting my attention and making me appreciate the vastly interesting architectural arrangements (of some holes) and the strategic ramifications of them!

I'm beginning to entertain the opinion that some of these modern holes I've been seeing are more interesting than anything that was ever done in the past, including the great "GOLDEN AGE".

You want to talk about things like "Lines of Charm" with bunkering in the middle of fairways and such on some of these modern courses compared to the same thing in the old days? Well, then, let's talk about!  ;) Is some modern design doing more of it or doing it better than in the old designs?

I think it's a valid question!

David Druzisky

In a big way it does.  I am down to only watching a select few tournaments a year beyond the majors and most of the time the PGA venue is questionable. Kapalua and Riviera with maybe a little Pebble early in the year is unfortunately followed by the boring Florida swing.  Ugh.

The same goes for the silly season stuff too.  now if they had some match play events at some of the best courses - ones we don't get to see the full field play - that would make me check it out.  Sergio vs. Phil at Cypress would be the bomb!  But, Sergio and Phil playing some new development course in Palm Springs - no thanks.

Jim Tang

I might tune into an event just to see what the golf course looks like on t.v. such as when the had the PGA at Whistling Straits or one of the USGA events at Bandon.  I've played those courses and it is always fun to see those layouts on television.

I also might tune in to see a special course that I might not never see, such as the Cape Kidnappers event that NBC recently did.

I have never turned the t.v. off because of the course.  Maybe I don't like the event or the field, but the course is not a factor is I don't watch golf.

Chuck Brown

Yes.
The alternative, lowest-common-denominator-theory is that the casual golf public watches just for the presence of the top player, or top two players, or enough of the top five players in the world.
Perhaps the interesting question is whether the "actual golf course being played influences who signs up to be in the field?"
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 07:58:54 PM by Chuck Brown »

Stephen Britton

Yes.

I hardly ever watch if the tournament is in FL, not because FL doesn't have good courses obviously, it's just the tour doesn't play the best ones.

That being said I always like to watch the European/Australian tournaments because I'm from Australia and I've played most of the courses, although the camera work and commentating is sooo boring in Australia that I've cut back on watching them.

Classic example this weekend the Moonah Links tournament, good course and the worst camera work ever.. All they show are putts and the odd drive here and there. And god knows who commentated? I'm not sure if it's better in Australia and the golf channel over here is cropping it to fit into a time slot?

Also if Renton Laidlaw is commentating which unfortunately for the European Tour and in Australia he is most of the time, then my viewing time is limited because I fall asleep...

Mike Clayton is a great commentator, he knows the players, the courses and always thows in some great stories.
"The chief object of every golf architect or greenkeeper worth his salt is to imitate the beauties of nature so closely as to make his work indistinguishable from nature itself" Alister MacKenzie...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back