News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Richard Hetzel

I am finding myself increasingly NOT watching certain golf tournaments on TV because the course does nothing for me visually (not to mention these golf show producers have yet to discover any real talented announcers).

That being said, Riviera is one of those places I really enjoy watching, the course is unique and not a cookie cutter TPC.

Does anyone else seem to watch "less" golf when the course is not as aesthetically pleasing to the eye? For instance, I tend to look forward to Augusta, and the other 3 majors without regard to the course being played....

Hey PGA Tour, can we get some better venues? (I know it's not that simple...)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 07:04:35 PM by Rich Hetzel »
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

John Moore II

Yes, the venue does determine if I watch, but not because of the course itself. I watch more because some courses make for exciting golf to watch, while others are just boring. Its hard for me to watch the Hope because the golf is so boring. Same with tournaments like the Sony, etc.

Mike Benham

Yes, I typically don't watch any tournament on the Florida swing ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Kalen Braley

Rich,

The answer is yes and no.

Yes if its a course that I really want to see.  Like when the Cape Kidnappers event was going on, I made an effort to tune in to specifically see footage of the course.  And it certainly helped that it was an exciting finish. As well when the old SHWWOG matches come on I try to peak into those as well to get some good looks.

No because if all the top dogs are playing, I'll watch em play just about anywhere, even a crappy muni, to seem em duke it out.

And not to take this thread off-track, but this also closely ties into my long held theory that is often refuted on GCA.com. A course is not "validated" just because it has an exciting finish in some tournament on TV. Tiger and Phil could have a birdie-bong slug-fest at my local course and be tight right to the end, and its got little to nothing to do with how good the course is.  If they both bring thier A game, it doesn't matter which course they are playing.  But others love to say this happens because the course facilitated it.

Adam Clayman

ABSOLUTELY!
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

George Freeman

most definitely...except for maybe the majors.  I'll watch those pretty much no matter what.  Fortunately, more often than not, they are on pretty good courses.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Greg Chambers

depends on how much I had to drink Saturday night  :D
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Brent Hutto

Yes, if it's Augusta National I watch. If it's anywhere else I don't.

The only exception being links courses in which case I'll watch a little bit or a lot depending on the course. Sandwich, The Old Course more-ish, anywhere else less-ish.

If the course isn't interesting there's no reason to watch. Seeing the pseudo-Austistic playing styles of today's Tour pros or seeing the LPGA girls have their caddies do everything but wipe their nose for them is beyond boring. I'd rather watch static where the analog channels used to be.

Kyle Harris

100% for the PGA Tour.

I'm also more likely to watch the European Tour coverage on weekend mornings because they more often than not have more interesting golf courses - or at least venues that aren't manicured perfectly.

Roger Wessels, FTW!

Sean_A

Since I only go out of my way to watch two tournies each year and the one every other year the answer is definitely no.  I will watch all four days the Open almost without fail on any of the rota courses and probably 1/3 of the Masters, but I have been losing interest in this event the past few years.  Without the Sunday afternoon fireworks the Masters just seems another snoozefest PGA Tour stop.  For the life of me, I don't know how people can watch that stuff week in or even month in and month out.  Its no wonder golf is a such a tough sell. 

Ciao   
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 07:26:47 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Mike_Cirba

Yes, it's close to the only reason.

Jeff Evagues

I tend to watch the courses I've played more closely.
Be the ball

Kenny Baer

I pretty much agree with everything that Kalen said. I am a golf fan so i typically will watch a little bit of most every tournament, but if the golf course is something special (ie:riveria, congressional, and coming soon Plainfield and Aronomink) i will at least TIVO the tournament so i get a good look at the course. To comment on what Kalen said i think a great tournament can be held at even the most mundane of courses...Doral Phil vs. Tiger...Torrey-Rocco vs. Tiger..and the list goes on.

Peter Pallotta

Rich - there was a time 20 or so years ago when I'd watch everything, sports-wise. My favourite was US college basketball, and I could tell you the name of every starter from Louisville, Georgetown (Coach Thompson, now that was a coach) and Syracuse. My guy was Lancaster Gordon, mostly because at 20 he already had a little pauch, so I figured there was still hope for me. Nowadays, i don't watch anything - I mean, anything, except the occasional golf tournament (doesn't matter which tour) and maybe a little F1 and tennis.  Which is to say, while I'm with guys like Adam and Mike C etc in that the golf course does make a difference, even then, these days nothing would get me watching more sports.

Peter

Pete_Pittock

It is generally quality of field, and emphasized by strategic quality of the course. Relation to par is not a significant factor. Match play yes. My local weather and course condition also play a part in the winter.
Pebble on Sunday, Riviera, Kapalua, WGC, the Majors, Players, Western, FedEx. I miss the International.

I'll watch baseball at Wrigley and Fenway, college basketball at Pauley, NASCAR at Daytona and Talladega, NFL when its cold and outdoors.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 09:47:30 PM by Pete_Pittock »

PCCraig

The Euro Tour courses are almost always more interesting.

Not only that they are not conditioned in the same way, are firm, and the players play different shots because of it.
H.P.S.

Andrew Summerell

I pretty much only watch golf on TV if it's on a decent course. I'm just not into pro golf that much.

Mike Jansen

I make sure to watch, when its' at a course that I have played (Torrey, Riv, Spy/ Pebble, St. Andrews) because it's great to remember them and you know exactly what the players are looking at... and being able to compare your shots.

Otherwise, television coverage just doesn't give the proper perspective.  Hell, up until a year ago I thought Augusta was a relatively flat course... then someone who visited told me the elevation changes are very dramatic.

Peter Nomm

Absolutely!

Riviera is a great example - the nature of the course requires some unique camera angles which make watching golf better.  For example yesterday they showed tee shots at the par-3 6th.  The camera was behind the golfers and low to the ground.  And because of the hill behind the green I could see the ball flight on the way up.

Some of the tree-lined courses, such as at some US Opens, require the elevated crane to show the shots.  I love when we can see the ball fly - that is the best way to televise golf.

Adam Clayman

There's nothing like the slumber watching the John Deere classic can produce. It was when Sunday @ ANGC turned into a similar slumber that clued you in that something was amiss with the GCA.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Doug Ralston

Do you remember this year at the 'Bob Hope', they played the Nicklaus and Palmer courses at PGA West, among others. OK courses, but hardly inspiring. Also at PGA West, of course, is the Dye [Stadium] course. The PGA Tour Pros have absolutely refused to play it after their struggle in the 1980's.

But the Q-School plays it! And I would never miss that event, more intense perhaps than any Major. What a venue the Dye is! It should be back in the Tour rotation! I would watch for certain.

Doug
Where is everybody? Where is Tommy N? Where is John K? Where is Jay F? What has happened here? Has my absence caused this chaos? I'm sorry. All my rowdy friends have settled down ......... somewhere else!

PCCraig

My freshman year roommate in college first thought I was nuts to watch golf on Thursday and Friday afternoons after class and before practice. He used to go, "why is this tournament so special?" and I would say "well it IS the Disney fall classic."

Eventually after a few weeks I would come home and he would be passed out with the same TV channel on. He later told me that he "couldn't of fallen asleep faster if he chugged a bottle of Nyquil."

Funny thing is now the Disney Fall Tournament would do the same thing to me!
H.P.S.

Mike Bowline

Funny how the really good courses tend to also have the better players near the lead 8) - which makes for better viewing :)

But I agree with an earlier post, the Hope, the FL swing (except TPC), those are just boring courses to watch golf on, no matter how good the TV production is. And I love watching golf on TV, especially since the advent of TiVo. ;D

David Neveux

It does, but that doesn't mean I don't watch the other weeks.  There's nothing better than tuning in on a sunday afternoon and letting Jim Nance voice facilitate a nap.  This typically happens unless I REALLY want to watch the players / course. 

I must also admit to really liking watching golf in HD, It really is impressive. 

Nev

Jon Heise

Im pretty much going to watch it as long as: 1- Im not playing, and 2- Its not on the Golf Channel.  My stupid cable carrier does not have it.  Lame.
I still like Greywalls better.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back