News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Joines

Top Ten Finishing holes on the PGA Tour - GC
« on: February 18, 2009, 12:39:07 AM »
Here's the Golf Channel list:

#10 - Harbour Town
#9 - Kapalua
#8 - Quail Hollow
#7 - Riviera
#6 - Valhalla
#5 - Doral
#4 - Bay Hill
#3 - TPC Sawgrass
#2 - Carnoustie
#1 - Pebble Beach

It's hard to argue with #1 and #1 but there are definitely some head-scratchers.

How you rearrange the order of this list?

What would your own list look like?

Joe Bausch

Re: Top Ten Finishing holes on the PGA Tour - GC
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 07:09:44 AM »
Dear Brian,

We would like to nominate the 18th at Bethpage Black, site of this year's US Open, to be in the Top Ten.

Sincerely,
Kyle Harris and Matt Ward

;)

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

henrye

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 10:56:09 AM »
Augusta has to make the list.  Never liked Sawgrass' finisher - too penal.

Sean Leary

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 11:48:41 AM »
Henry,

I am guessing that because the Masters is not technically a PGA tour event, that is why they cannot include it on there...

Greg Chambers

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 12:03:55 PM »
Henry,

I am guessing that because the Masters is not technically a PGA tour event, that is why they cannot include it on there...

They had 12 and 13 on the show just before, top 10 holes on tour, so it was probably considered.
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

PCCraig

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 12:05:02 PM »
As much as these shows can suck me in for viewing power, I don't think they are really pouring over the results like a GD, GM, or Golfweek would.
H.P.S.

Mike Benham

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 12:05:40 PM »
Henry,

Sean  -  and how about Carnoustie  ?
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Kalen Braley

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 12:07:29 PM »
If you look at that list, almost all of them have a water hazard or feature of some sort on them.

So if ANGC wants to get it right, they need to get Fazio to build a pond just right of the green with a nice trickling/cascading waterfall that turns into a stream and runs down the hill ending up in another pond at the bottom.  Then ANGC 18 would be a sure bet to make the list!

Sean Leary

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 12:20:27 PM »
Henry,

Sean  -  and how about Carnoustie  ?

Octo,

I missed that. Surprised then that there are no other Open or US Open venues..

Sam Maryland

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 01:18:15 PM »
What is the opinion on #18 at Bay Hill?  I know there are some naysayers on the course in general, but this hole?

I know at least once in the early 90's it played as the toughest hole on tour, and several times it was top-5 toughest.

There was a school of thought back then that AP had the 150yd marker secretly set at 160yds.  We always figured it was close to 2 extra clubs anywhere on that green, more for back right.

CJ Carder

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 01:25:34 PM »
They probably should have renamed it "Top 10 HARDEST Finishing Holes."  If we're just including finishing holes based on things like history, some merit devoted to difficulty, uniqueness, etc, then my top 10 would look something like this:

#10 - Riviera (mostly history, but also a good hole)
#9 - East Lake (part history and part a par-3 finisher)
#8 - Quail Hollow (solid hole)
#7 - TPC Sawgrass (unmistakable but overdone like Doral but gets the boost for difficulty)
#6 - Muirfield Village (hard, unique with the stream and uphill green, too many bunkers)
#5 - Harbor Town (100% unique and a great view with the lighthouse)
#4 - Bay Hill (some great finishes there)
#3 - Carnoustie (Van De Velde and it's just plain hard)
#2 - St. Andrews (all history and the Valley of Sin)
#1 - Pebble (view)

Honorable Mention - Kapalua, Congressional (assuming it's the par 4), Olympic, Sherwood, Augusta, Doral, Harding Park, Oakland Hills (pre-Rees)

Jim Colton

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 02:30:01 PM »
If you look at that list, almost all of them have a water hazard or feature of some sort on them.

So if ANGC wants to get it right, they need to get Fazio to build a pond just right of the green with a nice trickling/cascading waterfall that turns into a stream and runs down the hill ending up in another pond at the bottom.  Then ANGC 18 would be a sure bet to make the list!

Kalen,

Don't give them any ideas.

Tim Nugent

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 03:35:40 PM »
So, does this mean that USGA & R&A Events are now under the ownership of the PGA Tour?  Or do you just have to have PGA Tour players competing in them? I would take out all courses that are USGA, WGA, Ryder Cup, R & A, etc.

Or rephase the premise to 10 best finishing holes in Tournement Golf
Coasting is a downhill process

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 03:57:06 PM »
How often has the 18th at PB supplied an exciting finish?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 06:16:00 PM »

Kalen,

Don't give them any ideas.

Well,

I only said it half -joking.  Seeing the examples of what Fazio has done to Bel-Air, which best case scenario still makes one cringe...makes you wonder if the boys in green would ever agree to some "improvements" like that at ANGC.

Nick Pozaric

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 08:28:47 AM »
Is there a link to the story or was it on one of the specials?

Chris Ord

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 12:59:50 PM »

speaking of ugly finishing holes with a pond right in front of the green, i'm surprised the 18th at torrey pines isn't on here.  i personally don't really like the hole, but it's been the site of many great finishes (including this year's buick).

mikes1160

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2009, 08:57:33 PM »
If we are just talking about the "TOUR", I would put Sugarloaf into the mix.....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back