News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ed Oden

Is there a better way for walkers to carry divot repair mix?
« on: February 12, 2009, 09:16:20 AM »
My local club is predominantly a walking course.  Approximately 60% of our rounds are by walkers toting their own bag.  We have no caddies.  Like most clubs, we have sand bottles available to fill in fairway divots.  But these are the kind that are really designed to fit into holders on a cart.  So most of our walkers don't use the sand bottles since they are heavy and there is no place to put it other than lugging it in your hand.  Has anyone seen a lightweight, more walker friendly method of carrying divot fill on the course?  Would it be a money saver if more walkers filled their divots instead of relying on our grounds crew to do so?  Thanks in advance.

Ed

Kyle Harris

Re: Is there a better way for walkers to carry divot repair mix?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 09:17:39 AM »
My local club is predominantly a walking course.  Approximately 60% of our rounds are by walkers toting their own bag.  We have no caddies.  Like most clubs, we have sand bottles available to fill in fairway divots.  But these are the kind that are really designed to fit into holders on a cart.  So most of our walkers don't use the sand bottles since they are heavy and there is no place to put it other than lugging it in your hand.  Has anyone seen a lightweight, more walker friendly method of carrying divot fill on the course?  Would it be a money saver if more walkers filled their divots instead of relying on our grounds crew to do so?  Thanks in advance.

Ed

Remember those old cup holders one could slide into the spacer of a car window?

Same principle, just attach it to the bottle of divot mix and hang it on the edge of your bag.

One could also start taking a trolley - at Mountain Lake all walking golfers must take a trolley with divot mix.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 09:18:52 AM »
That's another good argument for allowing Sun Mountain type trolleys everywhere - there's a built in divot mix holder.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 09:25:32 AM »
We have small green bottles that clip on to the side of the bags which hold enough sand for about 4 divots - we then have boxes with sand next to the ball washers so you can easily refill the bottles. The only problem with the system is players often forget that they have the bottles and take them with them when they leave - this can be a problem with a high school event and the players don't come back to return them. 

Shane Wright

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 09:26:25 AM »
can't a few be dispersed along the side of the fairways?  I know I wouldn't mind.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 09:27:49 AM »
can't a few be dispersed along the side of the fairways?  I know I wouldn't mind.

You could put them on each side of the fairway and they could almost act as yardage markers (if people took the time to replace them correctly).

Brent Hutto

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 09:29:13 AM »
Our club recently got new carts and they came with somewhat smaller sand bottles. Unlike the truly heavy monstrosities you usually see these carry about 2/3 the sand in a more compact form factor. So they only weigh approximately a metric buttload in my carry bag  :'( rather than buttload and a half like the old ones.

Now that I'm down to just using 10-11 clubs I would probably carry my bag most days if it were for the need for sand. But I end up usually using the push-cart unless I'm playing with someone in a riding cart so I can mooch sand from the riders whenever I need it. I don't take much of a divot with good swings (except with wedges) but then again I don't make many good swings.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 09:30:44 AM »

The employees responsible for refilling them would.

As would the fairway and rough mowers.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 09:37:16 AM »
Ah yes...Kyle   Yet another thing to climb down off the mower and move....

There are many good solutions...containers along the side of the fairway is not one of them.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Ed Oden

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 09:41:26 AM »
Kyle and other supers, how much of a help would it be to the maintenance crew if walkers did a better job filling divots?  Is it a material cost saver or insignificant in the scheme of things?

We have small green bottles that clip on to the side of the bags which hold enough sand for about 4 divots - we then have boxes with sand next to the ball washers so you can easily refill the bottles. The only problem with the system is players often forget that they have the bottles and take them with them when they leave - this can be a problem with a high school event and the players don't come back to return them. 

Jerry, is this what you are talking about?

http://www.startingtimegolf.com/fwm.php

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 09:53:06 AM »
Here's a solution that I've employed over the years:

There is a company called Eagle One  www.eagleonegolf.com that has all sorts of turf and equipment supplies.

In the past they have offered a "test tube" like divot bottle...slightly larger than the circumference of a silver dollar, and about a foot long.  When filled with divot mix it weighs about a pound, maybe 1.5 pounds.  It is a perfect accessory to slip into the drink pocket or ball pocket of a typical stand bag.

Unfortunately--looking at the website just now, I didn't see this porduct offered, but perhaps another company is offering something similar?

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 10:01:51 AM »
Why do the divot holes need to be refilled?
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

PCCraig

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 10:07:22 AM »
IF they actually need to be refilled. You could always place a couple on a tee, one or two on the sides of the fairways, and by the green to drop off.

The only thing you don't want is it to slow down play by people walking back a forth for some sand mix.

The best part about my super flat "picker" swing is that I almost never take a sizable divot!
H.P.S.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 10:52:10 AM »

Bermuda or something else?

If you replace a divot in Bermuda, it just dies.  The sand mix grows new turf.  Disclaimer:  this is strictly one layman's guess!

I forget where I was, but somewhere they told me if you replaced a divot seagulls would come and carry it off!

Rich Goodale

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2009, 10:53:05 AM »
Remember in "The Great Escape" where they put little packets of dirt in their trouser legs attached to a string in their pockets and then let out the dirt surreptitiously?  That would work, at least at clubs that did not allow shorts....

Deucie Bies

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2009, 10:55:02 AM »
At Braeburn in Houston, they have divot mix attached to the yardage poles (200, 250 and 100 yards) in the middle of the fairways.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2009, 10:56:31 AM »
What if somebody hits one, and it bounces back and takes out their eye?  Lawsuit city  ;)

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2009, 11:16:38 AM »

Problem resolved – all new American carts will have the option of the Divot Repair kit attachment - all mixed and ready to use. Also a useful aid for those blind shots that you guys don’t seem to like - to use put in the high position. Laser devices are optional but air-condition comes complete with cab. Ideal for slow play and climbing steep hills.

Warning;  Not to be used by architects for fear of course modification while still playing a round.

R&A still considering if this is a cart or not and no decision is expected from the Halls of Wisdom until 2075 

Melvyn

PS Divot under repair was created by Anthony Gray at TOC - Links Trust are seeking reimbursement for the poor quality of repair generated by Mr Gray

Kalen Braley

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2009, 11:25:02 AM »
I thought jobs like this is why the club hires the high school kid to work 20 hrs per week.

However, out west, or at least on pretty much every course I've played, most divots are in one piece and replacable.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2009, 11:35:11 AM »
Rich,
A new meaning to soiling one's self.

Ed,
I've played with guys who use those 12oz. wide-mouth Gatorade bottles for divot mix. I've also seen sports bottles of about that same capacity being used.

The Gatorade bottles are free, and sports bottles always need recycling.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 11:39:11 AM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Ed Oden

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2009, 11:42:00 AM »

Bermuda or something else?

If you replace a divot in Bermuda, it just dies.  The sand mix grows new turf.  Disclaimer:  this is strictly one layman's guess!

I forget where I was, but somewhere they told me if you replaced a divot seagulls would come and carry it off!

Mike and Bill, I am talking about bermuda fairways.  My understanding has always been in line with Bill's.  Doesn't filling the divot with a mix promote regrowth of the bermuda and (in theory) provide a better playing surface?

Norbert P

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2009, 11:55:02 AM »
  When I was in Australia a few years ago, the courses had these quaint little pails to attach to the pull cart.  I carried my bag so I kept spilling my paydirt and had to carry it with my free hand. Wha!? How can I carry my Boags?

Anyway, I filled a widemouth Gatorade bottle with the sandy poultice and just put it in my bag. I did get interrogated one time for not having my pail.  "Heretic!  The colors of the pail must be flown by order of the order of order. And are those sandals you wear on our hallowed turf!? Hrumph." 

"The Dude abides."
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Mike Benham

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2009, 12:09:27 PM »

Just look back to the mid-40s, copy the idea from the prisoners at the special Stalag who devised the method of putting the dirt in long linen tubes inside their pant legs, and then distributing it throughout the compound.

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Garland Bayley

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2009, 12:10:44 PM »
Here's a solution that I've employed over the years:

There is a company called Eagle One  www.eagleonegolf.com that has all sorts of turf and equipment supplies.

In the past they have offered a "test tube" like divot bottle...slightly larger than the circumference of a silver dollar, and about a foot long.  When filled with divot mix it weighs about a pound, maybe 1.5 pounds.  It is a perfect accessory to slip into the drink pocket or ball pocket of a typical stand bag.

Unfortunately--looking at the website just now, I didn't see this porduct offered, but perhaps another company is offering something similar?

My club bought a group of these for use by walkers. I would pick it up and return at end like the cartballers did with the bigger containers. Little did I know that the proper method was to steal them and keep them for personal use. So before long they were all gone. Another member showed me how a convenient replacement could be homemade with pvc pipe.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Craig Sweet

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2009, 12:16:30 PM »
He's carrying that bucket of dirt a tad high isn't he? ;D
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back