News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chuck Brown

NH golf course lawsuit
« on: February 10, 2009, 06:18:20 PM »
Many of you might have seen this story elsewhere.  It seems, at first blush, to be so unlikely as to be one of those urban legend lawusits that is exposed as a fraud by Snopes.com...

But no, what follows is a true story.  Anyway, here's the story, as reported in the Manchester Union-Leader:

==============================
Blinded By His Own Ball, Golfer Sues
By Trent Spiner
Union Leader Correspondent
Thursday, Feb. 5, 2009

BRENTWOOD – Paul Sanchez, a 67-year-old "occasional" golfer, sued Candia Woods Golf Links this week over an accident that left him blind in one eye.

Sanchez, of 20 Country Club Drive, Manchester, was golfing with two or three friends in September 2006 when a ball he hit bounced off a yardage-marker and "whacked him" in the right eye, according to his attorney, Barry M. Scotch.

"Before he could even -- pardon the expression -- blink, he was hit," Scotch said. "It just ricocheted right back at him."

In the lawsuit, Sanchez faults the course's owners for failing to warn him about the markers, which are used by golfers to decide what type of club to use and how much effort to put into a swing.

Sanchez is seeking unspecified damages, claiming the markers were made of material too rigid to be safe for the course, according to the suit filed in Rockingham County Superior Court. He also blames the mishap on a lack of warning about the markers and improper placement in the middle of the fairway.

The suit contends the course didn't warn Sanchez about the risk in the pro shop, on the scorecard or on any tee boxes.

Scotch said the markers should have been placed off to the side of the fairway and golfers should have been told they are removable during play.

Police at the time said Sanchez was playing the 11th hole, a 443-yard par-4.

The suit said it was Sanchez's third shot on the hole. The marker was 150 yards from the green.

Court records show Sanchez suffered a fractured upper orbital rim, the bone behind his eyebrow, along with a blurring or total loss of vision. Sanchez was taken from the back nine by ambulance and transported to the Elliot Hospital in Manchester.

If it goes to trial, the case could be before a jury sometime in the summer of 2010. Scotch, of the Manchester law firm Backus, Meyer Solomon & Branch, said a golf expert was consulted before the suit was filed.

"It's not a frivolous, run-it-up-the-flagpole-and-see-who-salutes kind of thing," Scotch said.

There is no word yet on how much money Sanchez will be seeking in damages. Mary Ellen Sanchez, his wife, is also a party to the suit, claiming emotional damage.

Candia Woods owner Peter Harrity refused comment yesterday. An attorney for the course was not listed in court records.

The popular 18-hole course opened in 1964, according to its Web site, where it bills itself as the "Friendliest Course in New Hampshire."
==============================

Okay, I know what you are thinking.  Outrageous.  A lousy golfer, ignorant of the rules, whacks a ball off a 150-yard pole that he could have moved.  And he was 160 yards away, playing three, on a Par 4.  A poster-case for tort reform, right?  Well, I won't disagree.  And since this is sort of what I do professionally, I'm inclined to agree even as I proclaim my own defense-side prejudice.

For the jury, the preliminary liability question(s) might include:
~Was the design/decision (to the extent that it is "course design" at all) -- placement of a 150 pole in the fairway -- an inherently dangerous condition or an otherwise negligent design?
~Was the course operator negligent in failing to warn players that they may move and replace the pole to play a shot?
~Was the use of a hard pole (instead of a softer substance?) something that no reasonable golf course operator would have done?

With just about all of those questions, and others like them, expert opinion testimony might be admissible.

Now, for my friends here at GCA, this is my question.  The one interesting thing that I pulled from the U-L story was this:  "Scotch, of the Manchester law firm Backus, Meyer Solomon & Branch, said a golf expert was consulted before the suit was filed."

Okay.  So who is that expert?  I presume it is a golf professional, or a golf course architect, or a golf course superintendent.  Somebody whom, I am guessing, may be a member of the GCSAA, the PGA of America, etc.  It is common for laywers to consult an expert before filing a complaint.  It is routine that after a few months of initial discovery, witness lists and disclosures as to the identity of expert witnesses must be made.  So maybe the plaintiffs' expert is still a secret.  But he or she won't be secret for long if this case goes as I think it will.

I'd like to follow this case, and find out who the heck it is that might be offering "expert" testimony in support for this idiotic lawsuit.  Do we have any NH guys, perhaps any NH attorneys, who can comment on this case?  Or check up on details as they occur?

Greg Chambers

Re: NH golf course lawsuit
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 06:22:34 PM »
Remember when people used to use common sense?
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Kalen Braley

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 06:29:04 PM »
Chuck,

I have indeed seen this story before...right here on our own GCA.com just a few days ago.    ::)

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,38504.0.html

Chuck Brown

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 06:35:55 PM »
 :-X Kalen, I am indeed sorry; I hadn't seen it.  "Keep an eye out for this guy" is a thread-title that didn't, well, catch my eye...

I see Mr. Shaffer and I were entertaining pretty much the same thought on the identity of the expert(s).
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 10:47:45 PM by Chuck Brown »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 06:46:41 PM »
:-XKalen, I am indeed sorry; I hadn't seem it.  "Keep an eye out for this guy" is a thread-title that didn't, well, catch my eye...

I see Mr. Shaffer and I were entertining pretty much the same thought on the identity of the expert(s).

Not a problem...as you state, the thread title wasn't exactly "eye-opening" in what it was about.  ;)

Cristian

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 07:31:28 PM »
Interesting design feature though, Yardage poles in the middle of the fairway :o, if I understand correctly????????
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 07:40:07 PM by Cristian Willaert »

Tom Walsh

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 07:37:04 PM »
the attorney----Barry Scotch is it?  somewhere the golf gods are... what exactly?  ???
"vado pro vexillum!"

Kalen Braley

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 08:35:04 PM »
Interesting design feature though, Yardage poles in the middle of the fairway :o, if I understand correctly????????

I've seen these before, they aren't uncommon.  But in these cases, 2 rules always apply.

1)  If something is in the way....move it!   I've never been told they are removable either but it seemed previous obvious by noticing it was in a sleeve in a piece of concrete stuck in the ground that it could be taken out.

2)  If it won't move either move your ball or alter the shot direction!

« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 09:41:35 PM by Kalen Braley »

Dave_Miller

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 08:40:52 PM »
the attorney----Barry Scotch is it?  somewhere the golf gods are... what exactly?  ???

Another sign the Apocalypse is upon us. :o
Best
Dave

TX Golf

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 09:11:25 PM »
Wouldn't the club have some form of defense if they somewhere mention to play by USGA rules.... meaning that you receive relief from a man made object interfering with your line to the hole?? Just a thought.

If this is the case it means that the golfer voluntarily chose not to take relief from the obstruction.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 09:55:00 PM »
I wrote to the plaintiff's attorney about the expert in this case identifying myself as a plaintiff's attorney which I was in my former life. To date, no reponse.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

ChipRoyce

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 11:04:24 AM »
:-XKalen, I am indeed sorry; I hadn't seem it.  "Keep an eye out for this guy" is a thread-title that didn't, well, catch my eye...

I see Mr. Shaffer and I were entertining pretty much the same thought on the identity of the expert(s).

Not a problem...as you state, the thread title wasn't exactly "eye-opening" in what it was about.  ;)

Perhaps its in the eye of the beholder?

Or he turned a blind eye towards the original post?

Craig Sweet

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 11:17:09 AM »
This reminds me of the case a few years ago when a golfer teeing off hit a tee marker, the ball came back and struck him or someone, resulting in damages....and ultimately a law suit...the upshot is many courses started using tee markers that would shatter rather then rebound a shot....the local muni I know switched from cheap concrete markers to a soft metal type that easily breaks up when struck.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Tom Yost

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009, 12:53:12 PM »
Wouldn't the club have some form of defense if they somewhere mention to play by USGA rules.... meaning that you receive relief from a man made object interfering with your line to the hole?? Just a thought.

If this is the case it means that the golfer voluntarily chose not to take relief from the obstruction.

Relief from an immovable obstruction is granted in the case of interference with stance or swing only, I believe.

TX Golf

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2009, 01:00:57 PM »
what about when there are grandstands in the way.... I remember tiger getting relief during that playoff with furyk at Firestone.. I have no idea what the actual legal defense would be though. I was just trying to throw something out there.

Chuck Brown

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2009, 01:26:30 PM »

Relief from an immovable obstruction is granted in the case of interference with stance or swing only, I believe.

Well, I didn't want to turn this into a Rules Tutorial, but the 150-yard mark in question was like just about all such markers; it was movable.  All this idiot had to do was to pull the stake out of its sleeve, hit the the shot, and then put the stake back where it was originally.  The Plaintiff's claim is, "I was too stupid to know that."  (Well, perhaps his lawyer will phrase it more artfully.)  But that claim doesn't answer the question, if you hit your ball in the direction of a stake (or anything else) that was as plain as the nose on your face (the thing right between your two eyes -- ooh, sorry), did you not consider the possibility that the ball might ricochet and hit you?  You know, like a tree or a bench or a building or anything else that is in virtually universal parlance, from barroom jokes to television commercials on golf broadcasts.

In other words, this lawsuit does not question any technical understanding of the Rules of Golf.  It is more in the manner of "open and obvious hazards" and "assumption of risk."

Whether or not this guy moved his ball, or took relief with or without a penalty, is completely beside the point.   (Although I very much appreciate the point that if this idiot is complaining about some technical phrasing of warnings on the scorecard, it is true that adherence to the Rules of Golf would have offered this dummy adequate, free, unpenalized relief.)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 03:53:11 PM by Chuck Brown »

Dave_Miller

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2009, 03:00:49 PM »

Robert:
Relief under Rule 24-2 is given for stance and area of intended swing only.   As noted on P.71 of the Rules of Golf  "Intervention on the Line of Play is not,of itself, interference under this rule."

The situation you refer to on grandstands deals with Temporary Immovable Obstructions (TIO) and the rules are somewhat different.
Best
Dave

Philippe Binette

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2009, 03:45:34 PM »
3rd shot on a par 4 from 150... just learn to play golf...

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2009, 06:18:26 PM »
I don't think the "bad golfer" defense will fly in this case. If the yardage post was removable and the plaintiff didn't know the rules,then it might be a different story. If NH is a comparative negligence state, then the golfer's negligence, if more than 50%, would preclude a jury award. The first question a jury has to answer is: Was the Defendant negligent? That's the battle of the experts. If the answer is yes, then other questions must be answered including: Was the Plaintiff negligent?

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Chuck Brown

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2009, 07:07:17 PM »
That's right, Steve.

I just want to know who the mystery expert is.

As we both know, experts become what they are because of skill, training and experience.  They usually have Curricula Vitae that are loaded up with all of their past jobs and associations, and the professional societies to which they belong.

So, who the hell is the guy who is providing any "expert" assistance to this claim?

mitch jean

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2009, 08:19:06 PM »
I'm a NH attorney, and know one of the partners in the firm that represents the plaintiff.  I'll be glad to follow the case and report.  I know of no NH reported cases on liability for injuries suffered on golf courses.  NH is a comparative fault state.

It may be awhile before I'll be given any info I can report.  With the writ just being filed recently, discovery will be just getting underway and the parties won't be giving out information.

Chuck Brown

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2009, 08:30:23 PM »
I'm a NH attorney, and know one of the partners in the firm that represents the plaintiff.  I'll be glad to follow the case and report.  I know of no NH reported cases on liability for injuries suffered on golf courses.  NH is a comparative fault state.

It may be awhile before I'll be given any info I can report.  With the writ just being filed recently, discovery will be just getting underway and the parties won't be giving out information.
Mitch, as far as you know, did the plaintiffs file and then immediately call a press conference?  Did they call the Union-Leader, or did the Union-Leader call them?
It was hard to tell, from the newspspaper story, if the parties had talked at all before the suit was filed.  Sometimes you'll see that, and sometimes, even if there had been pre-suit negotiations, there is no mention.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2009, 08:44:54 PM »
Mitch,

Are the dockets available online?

Philippe Binette

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2009, 08:49:35 PM »
I always taught that when you pay your green fee, you also signed a waiver from accident like these...

- I often wish the country had more engineer, and less lawyers...
                                                     Barack Obama

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2009, 08:57:22 PM »
I've never seen a waiver for playing golf. Maybe for a cart rental. I doubt a waiver is valid anyway.

Interesting quote from the President given that he is a lawyer and former law school professor.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back