News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Sam Whiting
« on: February 04, 2009, 06:32:10 AM »
From the 2007 US Amateur website:

Sam Whiting, a former English professor at the University of California at Berkley, designed the Lakeside Course, which opened in 1927. Whiting also supervised construction on the Ocean Course. Following completion of the jobs, Whiting stayed on as golf course superintendent until 1954. Tom Weiskopf worked on the recently completed re-design of the Ocean Course.

From the records of Ringway Golf Club:

Samuel Whiting, the Club's first PGA Professional was one of seven brothers, all of whom were PGA members. Samuel left Ringway in 1911, for Ilkley, where he stayed until 1921, when he emigrated, going to the Olympic Golf Club in San Francisco where he stayed from 1924 until 1932.

Is this really the same person? Is it likely that a man of such erudition to be an English Professor at Berkley would be a professional golfer?

I should be grateful for any enlightenment.

Peter Pratt

Re: Sam Whiting
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 09:28:23 AM »
I think he also had a big hand in Indianwood (Old), many miles from SF.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 11:57:19 AM »
Its a little strange, I had not heard of Samuel Whiting and the discussion of playing out at Olympic until 1932.  Maybe it's a coincidence. 

The other story is true, Sam Whiting at Cal and was the super until 1954.   It's my belief that Whiting quit the club because the club and USGA had hired RTJ Sr. to "modernize" the course prior to the 1955 US Open and Whiting objected.

Whiting went on to design and consult at a number of other clubs including Mira Vista and his other well regarded course now called Sonoma National.

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 12:57:12 PM »
I think he also had a big hand in Indianwood (Old), many miles from SF.

Are you talking about Indianwood in Lake Orion, MI.  I though that was a Wilfrid Reind / William Connellan course?

Thanks,
Chris

Sean_Tully

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 03:30:34 PM »
Guys

Some pretty random info most of which is incorrect :'(.

I have gathered a lot of information about Whiting and have taken quite an interest in him. Some of the info on the earlier posts are mixed bit of information that incorporates other peoples info.

Whiting a professor at Berkeley is pretty funny. His connection to coming to America in the first place was was due to a professor from Berkeley having received lessons from him some years prior and wanted him to be his golf pro at his course that he was building in the East bay. Who was that guy? Well that would be Robert Hunter. He received a lot of criticism for picking Whiting as the locals wanted him to pick a local guy instead. It was such a big deal that Hunter had to write a reply to why he had picked Whiting.

He was involved in the work at Berkeley CC until that had a strike and the club would later release him from his position so that he could have an income. Where did he go? Olympic Club and assisted Watson in the work there. Whiting was ahead of the curve and was trying to introduce bent grass into the Bay area and I think that Piper even made a visit.

He was involved at a number of golf courses in the Bay area and even had at least one of his brothers, Arthur join him in the Bay area as a golf pro.

I will leave it at that as I can't give all my info out, but needed to correct some of the info.

Tully

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 04:10:38 PM »
Guys

Some pretty random info most of which is incorrect :'(.

I have gathered a lot of information about Whiting and have taken quite an interest in him. Some of the info on the earlier posts are mixed bit of information that incorporates other peoples info.

Whiting a professor at Berkeley is pretty funny. His connection to coming to America in the first place was was due to a professor from Berkeley having received lessons from him some years prior and wanted him to be his golf pro at his course that he was building in the East bay. Who was that guy? Well that would be Robert Hunter. He received a lot of criticism for picking Whiting as the locals wanted him to pick a local guy instead. It was such a big deal that Hunter had to write a reply to why he had picked Whiting.

He was involved in the work at Berkeley CC until that had a strike and the club would later release him from his position so that he could have an income. Where did he go? Olympic Club and assisted Watson in the work there. Whiting was ahead of the curve and was trying to introduce bent grass into the Bay area and I think that Piper even made a visit.

He was involved at a number of golf courses in the Bay area and even had at least one of his brothers, Arthur join him in the Bay area as a golf pro.

I will leave it at that as I can't give all my info out, but needed to correct some of the info.

Tully

Sean, I believe the information that he designed Sonoma is correct though, right?   Great Muirfield routing there, a really good way to route a course in a square parcel like Sonoma.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 05:17:51 PM »
Very interesting as usual, Sean... especially the part about Robert Hunter bringing Whiting to the Bay Area.

I'm sure he'd be thrilled the Lake course is being "torn up" again... including a significant change to the par-3 eighth hole  :)
jeffmingay.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back