News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Mystery course
« on: January 12, 2009, 06:50:39 PM »
I ran across this course in my Google travels and it looked very interesting.  You can see from the compass which way north is.  Do you know which course it is?

Mark_Rowlinson

Re: Mystery course
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 07:06:31 PM »
Kalen, It's infectious, isn't it? It so easy when you know the answers! I don't, as it happens.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 07:25:17 PM »
Looks too green to be Utah.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Reef Wilson

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 09:02:47 PM »
Kalen,

I can name this course in one island green. I played there 4 or 5 years ago and that green is a dead give away if you have been there. I recall it being fun but rather tough and narrow for the occasional golfers I was with. I didn't appreciate architecture much at that time so can't comment but I doubt it's going to get many props around here.

I'm sure there is someone here who can comment on that as it is on the way to a golf destination routinely discussed here. Once played I doubt one would bother stopping here again.

Reef

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 10:42:33 AM »
Kalen,

I can name this course in one island green. I played there 4 or 5 years ago and that green is a dead give away if you have been there. I recall it being fun but rather tough and narrow for the occasional golfers I was with. I didn't appreciate architecture much at that time so can't comment but I doubt it's going to get many props around here.

I'm sure there is someone here who can comment on that as it is on the way to a golf destination routinely discussed here. Once played I doubt one would bother stopping here again.

Reef

Reef,

I figured someone would have checked it out on the way to that destination.  I've never played it but looked interesting from the aerial view.

C. Sturges

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 11:31:55 AM »
If it is the course I think it is they have some very tough walks from green to tee.  They also had to redue two holes after a mud slide a couple of years ago.

Dave_Miller

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 04:02:14 PM »
I ran across this course in my Google travels and it looked very interesting.  You can see from the compass which way north is.  Do you know which course it is?

Kalen:
Don't know the course but I'll bet there is a lot of Sand for the Sandman ;) ;D
Best
Dave

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 09:58:41 PM »
Quit dicking around and ID the place so we can move on.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 10:05:06 PM »

Err...sorry Ronald, didn't realize it was making yer undies get bunched up.   ::)  ;)

Its Salmon Run GC in Brookings, OR...just north of the california border, not far from the ocean.

C. Sturges

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 09:47:59 AM »
That was the course I that it was.  I do not know if they have changed it but the yardage book is not very good.  It had the group I was playing with hitting 400 yard tee shots.  Also do not play after a good rain, very wet.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 10:28:11 AM »

Err...sorry Ronald, didn't realize it was making yer undies get bunched up.   ::)  ;)

Its Salmon Run GC in Brookings, OR...just north of the california border, not far from the ocean.

You must have better eyes than my old failing eyesight. I suspected that was what course it was, but could not find it on google earth. How close to town is it?

Google doesn't have it identified in their data base as I have the ID couses feature turned on and nothing showed.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 11:15:26 AM »
Thanks, Kalen.  Coincidentally, my undies are now un-bunched.  If thirty people post in the first 30 minutes and don't guess it, I'm OK.  I start to get bunched when we go more than a day without an answer.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 12:12:08 PM »
Garland,

If you go to Brookings, OR on Google Maps and then go about 3 miles inland from there you will see it.

Ronald,

A few other folks claimed to know what it was, I was just waiting for them to chime in with the name...I guess they were just too shy.  ;)  Rest assured we can put this thread to bed because while it looks interesting from the aerial view, those who have played it seemed to be less than thrilled with it.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 01:57:04 PM »

;D ;D ;D

JohnV

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 02:28:49 PM »
I believe that Peter Pittock has played it.  I drove up there and took a look once, but decided there were a few courses that were much more worth of my time a little ways up the coast.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2009, 05:15:41 PM »
My memory served me poorly. I thought I remembered Brookings was right on the border, and Harbor was in CA. Since the course is east of Harbor, I didn't look in what I thought was CA.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2009, 05:59:17 PM »
The course is slightly south and east of Brookings. It looked like Salmon Run, but they did away with the access road which enter the property and went just past the island green. Three poor holes detracted too much (3,10,11) and a great par three with a flattish eye-level gree to screw with perspective. Plus the first drive went over the parking lot and they sold used balls in bags of 20.
The 10th ha(s)(d) a evergreen tree what was planted in the elbow of an upside down L shaped green.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back