News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Hunt

What is the best...
« on: January 10, 2009, 03:51:27 PM »
What is the best course you have played that did not present you with that many options? A course were a lot of the time you know the way to play the hole and what way to hit your shots, a course doesn't make you think like St Andrews, but the shots are still good fun.

Most importantly what makes these courses interesting and what can we learn from this?

Bill_McBride

Re: What is the best...
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 05:54:37 PM »
Probably the Blue at Doral.  Every tee shot has fairways bunkers the same distance off the tee so it's down the middle or big trouble.  If it's not sand it's water.  The greens are mostly pretty much round so it doesn't matter what angle you come from.

This is the Doral of 20 years ago I'm referring to, I don't know what's happened with the Ray Floyd and Greg Norman redos.  At least I think Norman did some work after Floyd's disaster.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 11:50:22 AM »
Doesn't Matthew's question really ask, "which Pete Dye course do you like best?"

Some choices, Sawgrass, Whistling Straits (Straits), Black Wolf Run (River), PGA West Stadium Course, The Pete Dye Club.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Anthony Gray

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 11:58:12 AM »
Doesn't Matthew's question really ask, "which Pete Dye course do you like best?"

Some choices, Sawgrass, Whistling Straits (Straits), Black Wolf Run (River), PGA West Stadium Course, The Pete Dye Club.

Does Garland know golf or what? I agree for target golf let's go for WS at least it has great intangibles.

Anthony

Ian Andrew

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 12:21:53 PM »
Matthew,

You always have options, lay-up off the tee, play short of trouble, etc.

But to answer your question - Bethpage Black.

I felt like you had to step up and hit every shot - and that after a while you only worried about hitting fairways and greens because you weren't going to find a green from the rough. I laid up a number of times in the rough because there was no possible way to hit a green from those positions.

I liked Bethpage - but I won't build a course like it.

PCCraig

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 12:35:49 PM »
Medinah, without question.

The biggest decisions you make there are whether to hit a long iron/hybrid or fairway wood off the first tee,  where to lay up on #5 if you can't reach it in two and how much to cut off on #11.  Other than that, there's basically only one shot for each shot the whole rest of the way around.  They're fun shots.  And they're demanding.  And they're interesting.  They're just not strategic...

I would agree with Medinah. But that doesn't say much for the course itself. I could think of a thousand places I would rather go play than there. Not every course needs to have tons of options and strategy, but geez when you play 14 long boring tree lined holes and 4 long par-3's over water there isn't a ton of variety there.
H.P.S.

David Stamm

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 12:45:36 PM »
I'm not quite sure if it's a good example, but Spyglass comes to mind for this.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Carl Nichols

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 12:57:15 PM »
Congressional Blue and Bethpage Black. Not in that order.

Mike Wagner

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 05:04:21 PM »
Sahalee.  Here's your options:  hit it sraight or make double.

It's a great course if you're playing well, but every hole is pretty much like hitting down a hallway.

jeffwarne

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 05:52:10 PM »
Probably the Blue at Doral.  Every tee shot has fairways bunkers the same distance off the tee so it's down the middle or big trouble.  If it's not sand it's water.  The greens are mostly pretty much round so it doesn't matter what angle you come from.

This is the Doral of 20 years ago I'm referring to, I don't know what's happened with the Ray Floyd and Greg Norman redos.  At least I think Norman did some work after Floyd's disaster.

Actually Jim Mc Lean(not Norman)  quietly  reredid the Blue after the Floyd debacle.
Norman authored his own debacle (at huge expense)across the street at the White course
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

TX Golf

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 07:35:40 PM »
Interesting that a few of the mentioned courses are those that host US Opens.... Of those I have played I would have to say Olympic (another US Open course). The course pretty much dictates what shot you need to hit... and you better pull it off or you can quickly get yourself in trouble. Hit is straight and hit it long and you will do just fine.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 07:51:33 PM »

AKA a handicap inflationary device.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jason Topp

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 11:23:37 PM »
Shadow Creek has to fit in this category for many of the holes.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 08:58:53 AM »

Actually Jim Mc Lean(not Norman)  quietly  reredid the Blue after the Floyd debacle.
Norman authored his own debacle (at huge expense)across the street at the White course

Thanks for the update, Jeff.  I knew the Shark was involved at Doral but wasn't sure where.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 01:19:04 PM »
Interesting that a few of the mentioned courses are those that host US Opens.... Of those I have played I would have to say Olympic (another US Open course). The course pretty much dictates what shot you need to hit... and you better pull it off or you can quickly get yourself in trouble. Hit is straight and hit it long and you will do just fine.

Robert -- I'd love to hear your analysis of "what shot" to hit off each tee...hole by hole.  Thanks.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2009, 01:27:01 PM »
It's funny the way the public views Doral versus GCA.  Two friends of mine were separately at Doral within the last few months and both loved the Blue Monster and the Norman course.  I think that perhaps those into gca are disappointed with south Florida golf in general.  It is usually sand, water and a pushup green - a few angles may come into play and the wind can be a factor, but generally, there is not much more to it.   

Eric_Terhorst

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2009, 09:18:09 PM »

???  Straits and River both feature plenty of risk/reward choices and options. 

E.g., the par 5 8th at the River offers the option of the safer tee shot to the left and a 3-shot trip, or the heroic flight over the trees and 2 shots in.  #9, the drivable par 4, is famous for its options.  #11 has numerous options on the second shot, and you have to choose the forced carry or the safe way off the tee on #12. 

Straits:  #3  is Redan-esque and I know from personal experience can be played as a run-up or a fly-in.  The approach to the par 4 4th  is easier from the right than from the seemingly wider part of the fairway left.  #10 is a drivable par 4 for longer players.  #13 features a knee-knocking approach that can be a runner or a flighted shot.  The terrific par 5 16th has a heroic option on the 2nd shot. 

See also Ran's reviews on this web site.  Dye is infamous for the island greens, but his courses are not all "target golf,"  a pejorative term, to me.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2009, 01:29:18 AM »

I haven't played these courses, but how is that different from Pine Valley, Shinnie, Oakmont, Winged Foot West, Royal Portrush? 

Ted Kramer

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2009, 07:13:19 AM »
Black and Spyglass probably top my list.
I love both courses.
I'm not as demanding with regards to options as many on this site.
I like a stern test.
And I don't mind if the test is specific.

-Ted

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back